The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 May 2016, 01:39 AM   #31
mineral
"TRF" Member

1601 coin bezel with dauphine hand from 1960s if I remember correctly. It come with the cosc certificate and warranty paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2016, 01:53 AM   #32
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
1601 coin bezel with dauphine hand from 1960s if I remember correctly. It come with the cosc certificate and warranty paper.
One of the few DJ's to look good on an Oyster bracelet, congrats.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:17 AM   #33
s1nn3d
"TRF" Member

Watch: what i'm wearing
1603 Grey "Wide Boy" Dial

1600 White "Buckley" Dial

1601 Light Grey "Polar" Dial with White Striped Baton Stick Markers

1601 Two-tone Slate Dial

1603 Slate with White Striped Baton Stick Markers
s1nn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:29 AM   #34
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nn3d View Post
WOW

Now that is one gorgeous Datejust.
Old 28 May 2016, 09:41 AM   #35
m-abz-t
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,Sub,Speedy
Are all the DJ bezels from the 80's gold? white or yellow?
Having said that.. with the 1601 DJ is it just the bezel that has white gold and not the bracelet or anything else? just curious.
m-abz-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 11:21 AM   #36
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 6494, 16030
I just became the custodian of a 16030. It is being serviced by my local watch tech who is old school but good with Rolex. I think the 16000 series are the best vintage date just for a few reasons. It has all modern features hack, quick set, high beat movement 3035. Still has the vintage look with plexi crystal thinner lugs and the classic simplistic dial options not so outlandish as the modern DJ. I personally don't like the new DJ because of the thicker case and lug design. I would prefer to have the more modern 3135 movement though due to the full balance bridge. So my answer would be a 16000 series with a 3135 movement if that were an option "its not"..... I am 33 and always have loved the tool watches and oyster bracelets. I never wanted a date just or a jubilee. I thought it was just to common and played out and the jubilee looked old manish and weak. Now I am proven humble and realize with age that assuming makes an a** of me every time because I absolutely love the DJ and it is my new daily wear. I love the jubilee and I'm just amazed that I I'm saying this but Its true. I will post a pic once back from service. A little tid bit of info though and a pic. Paul Newman wore a 16000 DJ with my same silver dial in the color of money film. So now I feel even cooler wearing it. Here is a picture of it in Tom Cruise hand taken from the actual movie. If its good enough for the film and paul Newman it has to be the best vintage date just imho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom-Cruise-Holding-Paul-Newman's-Rolex-Datejust.jpg (86.7 KB, 734 views)
Old 28 May 2016, 11:48 AM   #37
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
WOW

Now that is one gorgeous Datejust.
What makes it a wide boy? What does that define? Also even the hands look different than I've seen or am I just imagining things "my mind plays tricks on my eyes"
Old 28 May 2016, 11:54 AM   #38
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-abz-t View Post
Having said that.. with the 1601 DJ is it just the bezel that has white gold and not the bracelet or anything else? just curious.
To answer you. No in the 80's they came in steel which was engine tuned or plain bezel. Also you could get yellow or white gold in a fluted bezel.

Model Numbers: Rolex model numbers range from four to six numbers. The number is located at 12 o'clock between the lugs and under the bracelet. The first two or three digits describes the type of watch. If the watch has five digits, the second from the last describes (some exceptions) the type of bezel and the last describes the material that the watch is made from. Around 2000, Rolex began adding a 1 in front of some model numbers... Example; the steel Daytona went from 16520 to 116520. This list is not complete and is just a break-down. 

Type of Bezel...0 Polished1 Finely Engine Turned2 Engine Turned3 Fluted4 Hand-Crafted5 Pyramid6 Rotating Bezel Type of Material...0 Stainless1 Yellow Gold Filled2 White Gold Filled3 Stainless & Yellow Gold4 Stainless with 18k White Gold5 Gold Shell6 Platinum7 14k Yellow Gold8 18k Yellow Gold9 18k White Gold
Old 28 May 2016, 01:06 PM   #39
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch royal View Post
What makes it a wide boy? What does that define? Also even the hands look different than I've seen or am I just imagining things "my mind plays tricks on my eyes"
The hands and the hour markers are significantly wider and thicker than other Datejusts, they were produced for just a few years in the 70's. Do a Google for Rolex Datejust Wide Boy, you'll see examples.
Old 28 May 2016, 01:14 PM   #40
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch royal View Post
I just became the custodian of a 16030. It is being serviced by my local watch tech who is old school but good with Rolex. I think the 16000 series are the best vintage date just for a few reasons. It has all modern features hack, quick set, high beat movement 3035. Still has the vintage look with plexi crystal thinner lugs and the classic simplistic dial options not so outlandish as the modern DJ. I personally don't like the new DJ because of the thicker case and lug design. I would prefer to have the more modern 3135 movement though due to the full balance bridge. So my answer would be a 16000 series with a 3135 movement if that were an option "its not"..... I am 33 and always have loved the tool watches and oyster bracelets. I never wanted a date just or a jubilee. I thought it was just to common and played out and the jubilee looked old manish and weak. Now I am proven humble and realize with age that assuming makes an a** of me every time because I absolutely love the DJ and it is my new daily wear. I love the jubilee and I'm just amazed that I I'm saying this but Its true. I will post a pic once back from service. A little tid bit of info though and a pic. Paul Newman wore a 16000 DJ with my same silver dial in the color of money film. So now I feel even cooler wearing it. Here is a picture of it in Tom Cruise hand taken from the actual movie. If its good enough for the film and paul Newman it has to be the best vintage date just imho.

Not all 16030's came with one of the best vintage Datejust features- the sunken Pie Pan dial. That was available on the 16030's grandfather, the 1603.
Old 28 May 2016, 01:44 PM   #41
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

Not all 16030's came with one of the best vintage Datejust features- the sunken Pie Pan dial. That was available on the 16030's grandfather, the 1603.
Yes I feel like its such a toss up between a 1600 and a 16000 series for best vintage DJ. The 1600 has probably the most robust movements ever created by Rolex and your absolutely right the pie pan dial is superb. I just personally feel the 16000 series has the best of both modern and vintage to it, that's just IMO..... I'd like to have both

Ohh and you 1603 is beautiful and so original. I love the plain silver dial. I wouldn't have even thought I'd like that either because its plain but in person its beautiful and dynamic in all different lighting also its the easiest dial to read I've ever owned. I can be half asleep and quick glance at it and know the time and in the end that's what it all comes down to. People say originality doesn't matter on DJ but I disagree and think over time they will find a good nitch for collecting because they are just great and the backbone of Rolex . maybe not as much character as other models but in their own way its simple elegant character.

My 16030 I just acquired came with a USA oval link that is so comfy. Has a little stretch/really wear but it ads character and it's all scratched up just how I like it. My watch will look the same once it returns from service because no polishing for me. My DJ is 1981 so it had to be one of the last sold with a USA jubilee because the seller bought it new and it was never changed in anyway at any service.
Old 29 May 2016, 09:16 AM   #42
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-abz-t View Post
Also to further answer you. The 1601 has ONLY a gold bezel not solid gold bracelet or case. There probably was a date just at that time period that was solid gold but someone with more knowledge on the date just history would need to chime in on that. Hope that helps you
Old 29 May 2016, 10:48 AM   #43
acf321
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 /16610
These are all fantastic and beautiful in their own ways .... I think I might need to have one on the shopping list... need to actually collect the 1601 first!
acf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 11:16 AM   #44
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I like DJs and for years was a staunch 4 digit ref man, none of that fru fru high beat stuff for me! My long time favorite was my 1600 smooth bezel on an oyster. After several years I took it to the mothership for a well deserved refit.

The movement was serviced, new bezel, dial and case back as well as all the usual bits. The offered me a new mid case but if I did that it wouldn't be a 1969 1600 anymore would it. I regret not taking the new mid case as well. This watch currently carries a1970 Cotton Bowl dial.

I got this beautiful 1625 because uh it's beautiful, reason enough.

I've acquired a few 1603 and 16030 in the last few years as they seem to quintessential DJ to me. All steel, no effort at style, just a work horse that will serve a lifetime. This one has been gorgeous every day since 1968. :)

This 16030 was the one that led me down the road to high beat perdition. I wanted that Roman dial but hadn't been able to find a 16XX with one, couldn't even find a loose dial to put on one of my other DJs. This one popped up on eBay so I held my nose and bought it. As you can see, it's a beautiful watch, the plastic crystal gives it enough vintage panache for me. Then...what's this quick set?? Well, that's nice, hey look, this case is a bit meatier than the 16XX, wow. look how smooth that second hand is..OK I'm a convert. :)

I try to avoid 1601 as there is no way to tell how it left the factory, white or yellow gold. So many have been converted as fashion changes over the years and Rolex are the only ones who know (unless you have original paperwork). I do have this 1601 bought expressly to scratch yet another perverse itch, a Mickey Mouse Rolex. It will have that smooth bezel anyway.

I have other DJs but these five will give you an idea how capricious and ill considered my collection actually is. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 12:12 PM   #45
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
I like DJs and for years was a staunch 4 digit ref man, none of that fru fru high beat stuff for me! My long time favorite was my 1600 smooth bezel on an oyster. After several years I took it to the mothership for a well deserved refit.

I've acquired a few 1603 and 16030 in the last few years as they seem to quintessential DJ to me. All steel, no effort at style, just a work horse that will serve a lifetime. This one has been gorgeous every day since 1968. :)
Great DJ collection, RC. Love the black dial, if I didn't have a 1016 it would have been high on my list.
Old 29 May 2016, 01:40 PM   #46
mineral
"TRF" Member

Love this thread. Nice DJ and I hope to be able two find more of these beauties.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:26 PM   #47
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Your top 5 Vintage DateJust

Old 30 May 2016, 03:42 AM   #48
watch royal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post

Very nice.... Are they both wide boys? I just learned about what makes it a wide boy and now I'm curious if I'm getting it right
Old 30 May 2016, 04:19 AM   #49
buenosdias
"TRF" Member

Watch: MaD_aT_gMt
To me it's the 1600 matte black dial on oyster.
It's pure vintage, it's pure dressy and it's sporty....so perfect for every occasion.

easy and elegant to wear on leather-strap

and sooo cool to wear on a nato-strap

buenosdiasone on instagram
buenosdias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 04:21 AM   #50
buenosdias
"TRF" Member

Watch: MaD_aT_gMt
Double post, sorry

buenosdiasone on instagram

Last edited by buenosdias; 30 May 2016 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Double post
buenosdias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 04:47 AM   #51
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenosdias View Post
Double post, sorry
Post it again! Beautiful watch.
Old 1 June 2016, 02:12 AM   #52
mineral
"TRF" Member

Very nice Matt black dial 1600. Look perfect from every angle.

Old 1 June 2016, 11:44 PM   #53
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBear View Post
how about a 6605 from the late 1950s, black dial, checkerboard bezel, alpha hands? :)

I love alpha hands!

The Rolex Cowboy
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:11 AM   #54
marcel2812
"TRF" Member

about to get on 16250 at fair price...but it comes in linen dial...which i cannot find anywhere in google. does 16250 thunderbird comes with linen dial as well?

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
marcel2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:32 PM   #55
PAM50
"TRF" Member

My only vintage 1601 ...

[IMG][/IMG][URL=http://s182.photobucket.com/user/Scubaorange/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_13.jpg.html][/URL

anyone familiar ? values ?
year of production/circa ? never sure up to now ...
PAM50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:31 PM   #56
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Nice bump! I love the buckley dials, wide boy dials and the matte dials.

A classic vintage DJ is certainly underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nn3d View Post

1600 White "Buckley" Dial

1601 Light Grey "Polar" Dial with White Striped Baton Stick Markers

1601 Two-tone Slate Dial

1603 Slate with White Striped Baton Stick Markers
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:48 PM   #57
Adambrown
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1601 non lume dial with a grey ‘London Sky’ dial from 1973