The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 September 2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Incoming: Platinum 3776 Lilas

I have stared this one down for about a year or so and I finally blinked.

It is stunning and I really like the ridges in the pen as well as the color. Some might think it is a feminine pen, but depending on the ink you fill it with you can really control whether it is proper for a man or woman!

As always with the Platinum 3776s, it writes beautiful. Platinum's quality control has always been good in my experience and these 3776s are really, REALLY good. Especially given the price.

One of the most interesting things I wasn't expecting was the way the pen feels in my hand. When you pick it up and begin to fondle it a bit you will likely notice that the pen barrel feels "strange". When you run your fingers along with the cuts in the barrel and cap the pen body feels smooth like you would expect, but run your fingers around the barrel perpendicular to the cuts you will note that the barrel almost feels sticky.

What is happening is that the grooves / lines were cut in a way that leaves the edges of the grooves sharp so that they actually grab your finger prints. This is definitely not a negative and does not effect the way the pen writes in any way or the way it feels when you write with it. But it was a peculiar surprise to me.

Anyway, this Lilas is beautiful and I recommend it.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:14 PM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Looks great. I have a couple pens I love that has somewhat similar feel related to grooves but that are in an entirely different medium. They are my Yesterday & Savant from Ferrari da Varese and in those examples high temperature hard fired enamel over Sterling Silver is diamond cut to make the channels leaving extremely sharp defined edges that provide an amazing experience.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:48 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A beautiful pen.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 07:22 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
That's a great pen Sir! I've been kicking around the idea of a Platinum 3776 Nice. Same pen but clear with rose gold trim. What do you have your pen inked with and what nib did you choose??
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
That's a great pen Sir! I've been kicking around the idea of a Platinum 3776 Nice. Same pen but clear with rose gold trim. What do you have your pen inked with and what nib did you choose??
I inked the Lilas with Akkerman's Dutch Masters Lievens Kardnaal Paars. It is a dusty rose colored ink and was a better match than I thought it would be. I have read where some folks call it a moon dust color... not sure what that is.

I have several 3776s and each one of them have yet to disappoint in any way. Platinum nibs are fabulous! Love the Japanese!!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote