The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 September 2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB58
Chance for a 5508

Hey everybody.

I may have a chance to pick this up. Would be my second Rolex ever. I know it is missing hour hand, and bezel assembly. I think it would be a cool project. And did they ever come with a 1520 movement? I was under the impression it was 1530.
Anything you see missing. And what would you suggest is fair to offer for this watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 348 (14).JPG (74.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (2).JPG (87.1 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (3).JPG (93.9 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (6).JPG (76.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (7).JPG (76.5 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (9).JPG (77.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (10).JPG (102.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (11).JPG (50.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 348 (8).JPG (65.8 KB, 265 views)
Arogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 07:51 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
It should be very cheap.. Service dial and a ton of missing/wrong parts. Case looks very soft as well. It will be a long and painful project that in the end wont be a super cool watch.

Sorry to be a party pooper..
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
It should be very cheap.. Service dial and a ton of missing/wrong parts. Case looks very soft as well. It will be a long and painful project that in the end wont be a super cool watch.

Sorry to be a party pooper..
Nah that's fine. I'd rather hear the truth. Not super well versed on vintage Subs. Was thinking if I could get it for under $1000 it might be something to work on. But sounds like it wouldn't have much value after anyway
Old 26 September 2017, 07:59 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogue View Post
Nah that's fine. I'd rather hear the truth. Not super well versed on vintage Subs. Was thinking if I could get it for under $1000 it might be something to work on. But sounds like it wouldn't have much value after anyway
Complete with service parts it would of course be worth much more than that. You would even be able to sell those parts for more than $1000 as is.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Complete with service parts it would of course be worth much more than that. You would even be able to sell those parts for more than $1000 as is.
Right. I am just wondering if it would be worth it to even bother. By the time I Pay for the rest of the parts.... I mean I see them for $9000+ and I doubt this one would have that value and may be costly to put together if you catch my drift. Just weighing the pros and cons.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:09 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogue View Post
Right. I am just wondering if it would be worth it to even bother. By the time I Pay for the rest of the parts.... I mean I see them for $9000+ and I doubt this one would have that value and may be costly to put together if you catch my drift. Just weighing the pros and cons.
Lets say you will need 1000 for the movement and 1500 for service bezel, insert and hands and you will have a decent nocrown guard sub with service parts worth perhaps 7-8-9k something. I'm just guesstimating for you to get a feeling for what to do. Personally I'd pass as I wouldn't keep the watch but it is kind of cheap for a finished nocrown beater. If you don't mind the work and spending some coins.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:12 AM   #7
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lets say you will need 1000 for the movement and 1500 for service bezel, insert and hands and you will have a decent nocrown guard sub with service parts worth perhaps 7-8-9k something. I'm just guesstimating for you to get a feeling for what to do. Personally I'd pass as I wouldn't keep the watch but it is kind of cheap for a finished nocrown beater. If you don't mind the work and spending some coins.
Interesting. That helps. We'll have to see what I can get it for. All the advice is much appreciated
Old 26 September 2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I must be missing something in this thread. A service (not a refinished dial) is worth a lot more than $1,000 (as in - I'll pay more than $1,000 for it right now!) The case back and the mid case will bring significant cash as is. I cannot tell how well the numbers are visible, but even if they are worn, the case back is cool. The main plate looks to be correct 1530 (though I'm not an expert in movements). Auto bridge with 1520 markings is obviously later. The seconds hand seems to match the hour hand - if the minute hand is included - that just increases the value by a lot

This combination will bring a lot more than $1,000 if it is listed here or on another Rolex dedicated forum.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I must be missing something in this thread. A service (not a refinished dial) is worth a lot more than $1,000 (as in - I'll pay more than $1,000 for it right now!) The case back and the mid case will bring significant cash as is. I cannot tell how well the numbers are visible, but even if they are worn, the case back is cool. The main plate looks to be correct 1530 (though I'm not an expert in movements). Auto bridge with 1520 markings is obviously later. The seconds hand seems to match the hour hand - if the minute hand is included - that just increases the value by a lot

This combination will bring a lot more than $1,000 if it is listed here or on another Rolex dedicated forum.
Well not really looking to sell. There was an opportunity to possibly get it very cheap and that seemed to be a plausible number. I was more concerned about how much in addition to that it may take to get this thing "right". As in crown, Bezel etc. There is a fine line between worth it and a royal pain in the ass for me since I don't have time to dedicate to a difficult part hunt.
Old 26 September 2017, 10:39 PM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Royal pain on the arsh.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:12 AM   #11
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Passed on it and glad I did. They ended up selling it for $6200
Old 27 September 2017, 12:34 AM   #12
s1im
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
the uk market is a lot stronger than the US one..... this was never going cheap

and with added 24% it sold for closer to 7,650 usd
s1im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 12:37 AM   #13
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1im View Post
the uk market is a lot stronger than the US one..... this was never going cheap
Ya I spoke with the seller and they weren't expecting it to hit $2000. Kind of crazy. They really thought it would go super cheap
Old 27 September 2017, 01:22 AM   #14
Vlad
"TRF" Member

not surprised, though for me it's on a high side However, I can easily see myself paying $5k for this lot - in a year or two, $7,500 would seem cheap...
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 06:59 AM   #15
Matdaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex daytona
sold for £4600 plus auction fees 20ish% £5566 (7500usd) was never worth it needed movement,hands correct insert much cheaper to buy complete

a fool and his money
Matdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote