The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2022, 03:16 AM   #4351
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
For me, this race was one of the most boring I've ever seen. Max raced in his own league this time as well, but since he had no chance of overtaking, so what this racetrack provided was nothing else but a lame duck "race".

Therefore I think, that Checco's performance was the only impressive thing, because the other mentionable thing was that Hamilton proved again that he can only win if he can start from pole position in the best race car.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 08:23 AM   #4352
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Stinking Disney…. Wanted to watch this but the stupid ESPN blackout for the weekend (or however long it is)
I was able to watch on ESPN2.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 04:52 AM   #4353
Mifune
Banned

I've seen a LONG history of more than 10 car lengths... practiced by many many drivers.

LuLu... I dont see ANY safety car for MORE THAN a full straight before it comes in at the green light.

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 06:26 AM   #4354
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Random thoughts on yesterday's race.

First, congratulations to Sergio Perez for a sublime drive from start to finish. I don't know what would have happened if LEC had got to turn 1 first at the start of the race or if Checo would have had the ability to pass him during the race, but he absolutely controlled and pulled away from everyone but LEC after each restart. The team coming on the radio and telling him he may have a time penalty forthcoming and to get on with it brought back images of Ross Brawn coming on the radio and asking Michael Schumacher to give him .7 per lap more for X amount of laps and delivering as asked.

I think it's right to congratulation Ferrari as well. We're quick to point out their obvious mistakes that happen too often, but yesterday appeared to be a good day from the drivers, the pit lane and strategists. Well done on the double podium.

Well done to Danny Ric. P17 to P5 during a chaotic race is not easy. He's not had a good year but having Mclaren finish 4th and 5th moves them past Alpine in the WCC who double DNFed.

Missed opportunities: Championship points leader Max could have been top 5 with his pace had he not locked up and had to pit for another set of new tires. I thought the move was too soon given the restart and tires probably not at their optimal temps. The extra pit stop cost him at least 3 places.

The other missed opportunity was Mercedes not leaving George Russell P11 and starting him from pit lane after taking engine components. He definitely could have been top 5 given all the safety cars, DNFs and cockups in front of him yesterday. The points would have helped in their fight for third against Ferrari in the constructors.

I'm not going to pile on Lewis Hamilton as he went from P2 to finish P9 with his crash and low probability attempt to pass that was reminiscent of Imola 2021, so all I'll say is that Hamilton continues to prove Fernando Alonso's radio outburst to be accurate.

Closing thought: I always thought George Russell would be a good driver if given the chance in a better car. This was based on the 3 years he completely dominated his teammates at Williams F1 coupled with the one off race where he nearly out qualified Bottas in the Merc and pulled away from him in the race, twice before Merc put the wrong tires on his car and the subsequent puncture sent him down the order.

Yesterday, Russell complained that Mick is "...driving and defending like it's the race of his life." And later said Schumacher ran into him into T1. The evidence shows that yes, Schumacher is driving and defending like it's the race of his life because he may not be in F1 next year if he doesn't produce NOW. Second, it was for position George! Just because it's say Petronas Mercedes AMG on your car doesn't give you a birth right to have everyone move aside like a madador with a red cape. Finally, the video clearly shows Mick holding his line and you moving right into him causing the collision.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 07:49 AM   #4355
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That sums it up quite nicely Phillip.
Old 4 October 2022, 08:49 AM   #4356
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I'm not going to pile on Lewis Hamilton as he went from P2 to finish P9 with his crash and low probability attempt to pass that was reminiscent of Imola 2021, so all I'll say is that Hamilton continues to prove Fernando Alonso's radio outburst to be accurate.
Agreed... and imho he should gave retired at the end of last year.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 11:49 AM   #4357
77T

I was at a race, but not this race, and had to watch the replay today. On the comments about it being tiresome - I must agree because I actually fell asleep in the middle of it and after that nap not much had changed. The last 12 minutes were better than the preceding 108.

I don’t get PER’s testimony in the Stewards room on the double SC episodes.

Horner knew full well what was going on and played dumb for SkySports during the race. But he acted differently after the RD’s warning and had PER build up his MOV to bank 5+ seconds.

In the end, RB now knows the price for that gaming strategy. If they repeat it in Japan then the sanction could be stiffer for such shenanigans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 04:52 AM   #4358
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Any docs in the house wanting to be a part of the circus?

That sounds like an interesting opportunity for an anesthesiologist with extensive trauma experience, but unfortunately I don’t have any Motorsport experience.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 10:08 PM   #4359
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was at a race, but not this race, and had to watch the replay today. On the comments about it being tiresome - I must agree because I actually fell asleep in the middle of it and after that nap not much had changed. The last 12 minutes were better than the preceding 108.
Isn't this most F1 races?

Guess you were at Petit?

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 11:40 PM   #4360
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i like how they showed us the broadcast area.

F1 should do a documentary about the people behind the scenes that make the broadcast happen. The camera folks, the mic setups around the track, etc. It is quite the technical achievement having all that data streaming from the cars and into the broadcast boot too, where it is then integrated into the F1 app, etc.

i assume you guys use Dante to manage it all.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 8 October 2022, 10:22 AM   #4361
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

It's official - Pierre Gasly has signed a multi year deal with Alpine and will leave the Red Bull stable. Wish him nothing but the best of luck!
Old 8 October 2022, 10:27 AM   #4362
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Things are moving fast in Japan. Nyck de Vries has been confirmed at AlphaTauri for 2023!

This leaves two seats remaining:

1. Williams
2. HAAS
Old 8 October 2022, 11:49 AM   #4363
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Here is a question for those more knowledgeable than I in F1. In IndyCar, drivers frequently get their ride partly based on their ability to bring money to the team, either personal or sponsor cash. Is the same true in F1?
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:01 PM   #4364
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
It's official - Pierre Gasly has signed a multi year deal with Alpine and will leave the Red Bull stable. Wish him nothing but the best of luck!
Maybe it's just me, but whenever anyone leaves the Red Bull stable, I always get excited to see what the new design on the driver's helmet will look like without the big red bull taking up all the real estate on it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:25 PM   #4365
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Here is a question for those more knowledgeable than I in F1. In IndyCar, drivers frequently get their ride partly based on their ability to bring money to the team, either personal or sponsor cash. Is the same true in F1?
Very much so. Usually rich dads.
Old 8 October 2022, 05:12 PM   #4366
Andad

Watch: A few.
Very close qualifying.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 06:53 PM   #4367
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
https://onestopracing.com/do-all-for...rich-families/
Old 8 October 2022, 10:01 PM   #4368
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

Racing is expensive - and the ladder is tall. Funding is fundamental - no team makes it on the backs of their drivers. Except a couple of recent examples.

It is true some wealthy parents spend on their sons and daughters - but only talent, skills, and results gets a youngster into an F1 seat (MAZ, STR are current outliers).

At an early age, a driver is identified by talent agents, scouts, and academies. This can bring team money, sponsors, and manufacturer funding. That’s where F4 gets a kid started out of karts. In IndyCar there is a similar ladder here in US and money plays a role as Joey mentioned.

If you have the time to watch the Junior rungs here in USA, tune into https://youtube.com/c/SpeedTourTV

F4 & FRA (F3) are streaming races live from VIR in the Virginia foothills. Out of all the drivers you’ll see, maybe one or two will make it to the international level in Europe. Or jump over to the Indy ladder.

All times are ET…

Saturday,October 8:

8:35 a.m. F4 U.S. (Race 1)
10:25 a.m. FR Americas (Race 1)
11:20 a.m. TA2 (Feature Race)
1:30 p.m. F4 U.S. (Race 2)
4:10 p.m. FR Americas (Race 2)

Sunday, October 9:

9:25 a.m. F4 U.S. (Race 3)
11:10 a.m. FR Americas (Race 3)
12:40 p.m. TransAm (Feature Race)

Old 8 October 2022, 10:28 PM   #4369
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Very close qualifying.

It was - exciting last few minutes. Some Ferrari fans wanted a grid penalty for the VER-NOR incident. For the avoidance of doubt, the penalty was consistent and didn’t affect the grid spot tomorrow.

Old 8 October 2022, 10:30 PM   #4370
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great post Paul, though the European F4 may be far more competitive. There's also European karting, where we see many of the kids who at some point may become upper-league drivers.

All times below are Eastern Time USA

Italian Formula 4 Championship Live Racing
Monza: Race 1 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 8, 9:05 AM

Monza: Race 2 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 9, 2022, 3:05 AM

Monza: Race 3 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 9, 2022, 11:05 AM

Old 8 October 2022, 10:44 PM   #4371
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great post Paul, though the European F4 may be far more competitive. There's also European karting, where we see many of the kids who at some point may become upper-league drivers.

All times below are Eastern Time USA

Italian Formula 4 Championship Live Racing
Monza: Race 1 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 8, 9:05 AM

Monza: Race 2 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 9, 2022, 3:05 AM

Monza: Race 3 (EN)
Scheduled for Oct 9, 2022, 11:05 AM

I agree about the Italian FIA F4 Championships. We sort of botched up our series in the early going. Hope it’ll improve with Tony’s lead.

Our drivers in US just don’t have the access to FIA F4 unless they move to Europe and join up by 14yo time. Same with Karting for the younger ones.

Old 8 October 2022, 11:27 PM   #4372
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Our drivers in US just don’t have the access to FIA F4 unless they move to Europe and join up by 14yo time. Same with Karting for the younger ones.
FIA is doing great, tho no single entity can be everything to everyone. SCCA is a great organization too imho. For years I'd hear over and over that European racing at the Karting to 'lower' Formula levels is far more competitive than within the USA.

Old 9 October 2022, 03:03 AM   #4373
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Incredibly tight results for the top 3 qualifiers and amazing when you think about it. Tomorrow's possible mixed weather condition forecast should spice things up a bit.

With Alpine signing Gasley, Danny RIC has confirmed he will not be on the grid for 2023. RIC is perhaps one of my favorite drivers along with LEC. Hope he gets the rumored Mercedes test seat or does something else to stay in the F1 game. Although Kimi and Alonso came back after a hiatus, RIC doesn't have the luxury of having a WDC on the resume.
Old 9 October 2022, 03:19 AM   #4374
77T

I like RIC - but he no longer can keep up - there comes a time when a pivot is better than a test seat.

Tale of the tape is in McLaren’s results.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/teams/mclaren/results

Maybe AUS Supercars, DTM Touring Cars, or IndyCar?

Old 9 October 2022, 05:02 AM   #4375
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
I like RIC - but he no longer can keep up - there comes a time when a pivot is better than a test seat.

Tale of the tape is in McLaren’s results.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/teams/mclaren/results

Maybe AUS Supercars, DTM Touring Cars, or IndyCar?

Unfortunately true.. With 227 starts and only 3 poles and 8 wins he's not up to the caliber of many other drivers.. regardless of the car... me thinks. !?!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 11:14 PM   #4376
77T

Even now it’s hard to say if the race was too wet…but the incidents made a difference in final results after the race was checkered and the WDC.

Tough for LEC to learn at the interview that short cutting a chicane +5sec. Penalty meant so much.

Just for the record, the decisions in order that altered the race including GAS incident early in the race.

Old 9 October 2022, 11:22 PM   #4377
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting race, am glad to see it allowed to happen in the rain. Imho the correct Stewart decision at the end.

Old 9 October 2022, 11:25 PM   #4378
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
A well deserved championship for MV
Old 10 October 2022, 05:55 AM   #4379
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

The gasly tractor incident was insane. Unreal given the history at this event.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 07:19 AM   #4380
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Another undeserved championship by RB. Exceeded spending budget for 2022, just like for 2021. Why doesn’t FIA react? F1 is sort of finished.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote