The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 7 October 2022, 07:34 AM   #181
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Probably no chance of a new 15510 this year then.

Good luck for 2023
Don't even have a 15510 on my wish list maybe this is my problem
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 08:12 AM   #182
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
What do you have on your wishlist? And are there any pieces you currently own?
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 08:45 AM   #183
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You will get bent over on any code for tens of thousands, most ROO you’ll need to skirt taxes and then keep it LNIB in hopes of losing 5k and that’s if you sell it yourself. No dealer is giving finance bro msrp for his ROO. They will likely get no offer at all.

Regardless I think AP will manage the situation fine. I think a buyer should be able to walk in and buy some ROO bare minimum. These don’t have to be financial instruments because let’s be honest they are investments big picture.
Is the situation in Japan also. VERYVERY difficult to get any offers from Grey dealers to take on inventory...Rolex and several PPs? No issue still. AP, its usually a straight No.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 03:39 PM   #184
Nocomment
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I just bought a purple dial code 11.59, brand new 2022 card minus box (coz I don't plan on selling the watch anyway and a hassle for me to bring it back home), for around $19k USD converted. That's almost half price off in new York after tax, I did okay right?

And yes, I wanted to buy a code since it's announcement but couldn't swallow the pricey RRP. Purple in RG was actually my first pick and wow I couldn't believe the price when I saw the watch off the display !
Nocomment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 07:15 PM   #185
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocomment View Post
I just bought a purple dial code 11.59, brand new 2022 card minus box (coz I don't plan on selling the watch anyway and a hassle for me to bring it back home), for around $19k USD converted. That's almost half price off in new York after tax, I did okay right?

And yes, I wanted to buy a code since it's announcement but couldn't swallow the pricey RRP. Purple in RG was actually my first pick and wow I couldn't believe the price when I saw the watch off the display !
Sounds like you did great and congrats on getting the piece you wanted for a reasonable price. However this post just reaffirms to me that I made the right move passing on a 3 handed code when offered one.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 07:44 AM   #186
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
APs on the gray market are still being priced aggressively so it’s interesting to see that some grey dealers are refusing to take on more. It seems to signal a top.

I tried to trade a Blancpain limited edition for a still yet unsold 126613 Sub. I hesitated on the price for mine and then re-engaged a couple of weeks later and was told they were no longer interested in my watch. Weak signal but the market is softening I think.

Waiting for a good deal on an AP Diver now…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 07:57 AM   #187
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Is the situation in Japan also. VERYVERY difficult to get any offers from Grey dealers to take on inventory...Rolex and several PPs? No issue still. AP, its usually a straight No.

Good job you don’t have any AP’s to actually “sell” then Jordan……..
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 09:44 AM   #188
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Geezus for a first piece what do you want? A jumbo?
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:04 AM   #189
Bpan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5548BA, 16233G
I consider both a 15510 and an offshore too big for my 6.25" wrists. The lugs of the Code are marginal - while they don't overhang, they basically line up perfectly with the width of my wrist when viewed top down. I asked for a 26715 in early Feb.
Bpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:22 AM   #190
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Strange happenings in Hong Kong - grey market dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Yeah, but they’re insulating the market from a pure free fall.

Their actions aren’t even remotely altruistic, but their role is important… holding the line is keeping values up for owners everywhere.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The Grey market screwed itself over imo. And their clients too. It used to be a great place to sell and buy watches, before the hype started.
The grey dealers have multiple WhatsApp groups of hundreds if not thousands of dealers which acted as a cartel and manipulated prices for the last couple of years. I think that during the last 12 months some of them got a bit too greedy. Hence you could check the price for a piece at 7:00 and it was 15k and by night time it would be 20k. The following day would be 23k. Etc etc.
Each dealer tried to make that few extra grand more than his mate, in order to pay for their new Ferrari or P1. It’s sad, but they used YouTube/Instagram/chrono 24 and other platforms as a way to inflate the prices of sought after pieces in a very fast and unsustainable way, mainly by chanting that watches are a good investment. Greed is a ugly thing and the fall is sometimes harder than you’d think.
Watches aren’t the same as the stock market and shouldn’t appreciate 3-5 times a day.
I don’t feel bad for the grey dealers as I’m sure most of them made a fortune during that period where they could sell at whatever price they wanted to. I also don’t feel bad for the ones who decided to purchase a piece at X5 Retail because of fomo or whatever the reason may be.
Buy at retail and most chances you won’t get disappointed or stressed. And if you can’t? Then just wait for an opportunity or bite the bullet and pay what you are comfortable living with. Either way, in the long run I don’t believe AP/PP/Rolex will lose 50% of their value nor be sold at a discount from the boutique. But I do believe the bubble has burst to an extent and the grey dealers have a big part in as why they are where they are now (stuck with stocks of overpriced watches).

Only time will tell what will happen, but there seems little bit more stock at the boutiques(not SS models though) which indicate imo that things are calming down. So we will have to wait and see….

Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #191
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
This is my view as well. And yes, they still keep a list of the pieces you have registered an interest in. At least in NYC they do.

FWIW, the NYC boutique offered my a 50th anniversary piece I was not seeking nor did I express any interest in it. Things have definitely changed.
That's awesome, did you take it?
scottywein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:57 AM   #192
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
APs on the gray market are still being priced aggressively so it’s interesting to see that some grey dealers are refusing to take on more. It seems to signal a top.

I tried to trade a Blancpain limited edition for a still yet unsold 126613 Sub. I hesitated on the price for mine and then re-engaged a couple of weeks later and was told they were no longer interested in my watch. Weak signal but the market is softening I think.

Waiting for a good deal on an AP Diver now…

Blancpains seem very hard to move second hand.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:08 AM   #193
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post

Fact.

Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:45 AM   #194
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Strange happenings in Hong Kong - grey market dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
One could also interpret this as….….. ‘they’re clearly exerting all possible effort to manipulate the market in their favor’.

I just don’t understand it though. The only logical answer is some of these greys made such an unfathomable amount of money in the recent run up that they can blow money on interest for months in hopes of a run up. It still doesn’t make sense to me though as all signs point towards things getting even worse. That seems incredibly risky though for an entire business model to be hinging on speculation like this. It’s almost like betting your business on black. Wild.

But hey, maybe they know something I don’t.

I personally think that grey’s might be trying their best to hold prices and not lower them too much until Christmas season (in the hope to sell then with minimal loss). Maybe after that another shift downwards in prices… But who really knows …

I find it odd that prices went up much quicker than they are coming down.

Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:58 AM   #195
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

One prominent grey that usually has strong/high prices has been dropping prices rapidly and among a lot of their inventory, so here we go
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:02 PM   #196
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post

I have forever been eyeing the bathyscaphe in black ceramic and recently picked one as the prices are so depressed even beyond what they normally are. Will probably go much lower in the coming months. Good times ahead for enthusiasts I think.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 02:36 PM   #197
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
One prominent grey that usually has strong/high prices has been dropping prices rapidly and among a lot of their inventory, so here we go
Which one please? I am in serious buying mode!
Old 8 October 2022, 06:45 PM   #198
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
Geezus for a first piece what do you want? A jumbo?
It has been said this is possible as a first purchase haha
Old 8 October 2022, 11:41 PM   #199
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall1 View Post
I have forever been eyeing the bathyscaphe in black ceramic and recently picked one as the prices are so depressed even beyond what they normally are. Will probably go much lower in the coming months. Good times ahead for enthusiasts I think.
These are such an incredible deal. I don't need another bp but it's such a good deal I thought about buying one for my brother. Nato with ceramic hardware is nuts.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:57 PM   #200
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
What do you have on your wishlist? And are there any pieces you currently own?
No AP ever owned hopefully one day
Old 8 October 2022, 11:59 PM   #201
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
This is my view as well. And yes, they still keep a list of the pieces you have registered an interest in. At least in NYC they do.

FWIW, the NYC boutique offered my a 50th anniversary piece I was not seeking nor did I express any interest in it. Things have definitely changed.
I wonder if AP HOUSE London can request this
Offering watches to clients who have no desire for them, times have drastically changed
Old 9 October 2022, 12:30 AM   #202
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
No AP ever owned hopefully one day
What are you after for your first AP?

Quote:
I wonder if AP HOUSE London can request this
Offering watches to clients who have no desire for them, times have drastically changed
Don’t see that happening. AP House London are fantastic to deal with
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:56 AM   #203
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
What are you after for your first AP?

Don’t see that happening. AP House London are fantastic to deal with
All retailers are good to deal with when your foot is in the door
Requested a 41mm 15400/15500 which are now discontinued
Old 9 October 2022, 01:20 AM   #204
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep that’s true, but we’ve all got to start somewhere, so keep in touch with them and hopefully things will work out.

There’s still been 15500’s appearing (on here) so maybe there’s the odd one still to filter through. Good luck.
Old 9 October 2022, 01:25 AM   #205
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Yep that’s true, but we’ve all got to start somewhere, so keep in touch with them and hopefully things will work out.

There’s still been 15500’s appearing (on here) so maybe there’s the odd one still to filter through. Good luck.
Its hard to see so many different scenarios. People getting jumbo as a first watch but then on other hands sales assistants guiding you down the path to get a code to maybe warrant a Royal Oak let alone a jumbo. Just leaves a funny taste in my mouth them sort of antics. It probably worked for many in the last 12 to 18 months but we are in unchartered times and people being offered watches not on you're list says maybe my time might come
Old 9 October 2022, 02:39 AM   #206
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
You requested the 15400/15500 previously but you not the new 15510? If you haven’t already, why don’t you try to reconnect and note your interest in the 15510?

Also you mentioned that the Offshores are too big and don’t suit your style, would you be open to a 37mm RO or 38mm ROC? The latter are not even 50th. In addition to the fact that you’ve been waiting since 15400 years I am certain if you reconnect with your boutique that an allocation will come your way soon.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 02:58 AM   #207
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You did good! it’s such a cool watch. Post some pictures.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 04:16 AM   #208
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You requested the 15400/15500 previously but you not the new 15510? If you haven’t already, why don’t you try to reconnect and note your interest in the 15510?

Also you mentioned that the Offshores are too big and don’t suit your style, would you be open to a 37mm RO or 38mm ROC? The latter are not even 50th. In addition to the fact that you’ve been waiting since 15400 years I am certain if you reconnect with your boutique that an allocation will come your way soon.
15510 is nice but prefer the 15500, the 37 and 38 are just too small.
Old 9 October 2022, 05:09 AM   #209
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^^ this makes sense

Quote:
15510 is nice but prefer the 15500, the 37 and 38 are just too small.
If a 15500 is out the question, what else would you then want?
Old 9 October 2022, 05:27 AM   #210
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s a steal!!
I want the same deal
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote