The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2022, 10:09 AM   #1
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

5320G-011 (Salmon Dial Perpetual)

I have never owned a Patek, and after seeing pictures of the 5320G-011 I love everything about it - except that I might prefer the watch on a black strap.

I would love to hear your thoughts re. this watch, as well as how difficult it would be to purchase one through a dealer.

Thank you,

Christian
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Well, it isn't easy to sum-up but it's a Perpetual Calendar hence complicated mechanism, with a important place in Patek's history and reputation.

The dial looks very nice in the metal, the case is very interesting in terms of craftmanship, the caliber is beautiful and works really well (you can have a look here about it: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/).

I'm personally not a fan of brown straps (subjective of course) and I would love to see it on a black one as well (not too shiny, maybe satin-finished). It would offer more contrast but will also make it much less casual, more "serious".

That's a very nice project. Yet, as it just came out, it might be very difficult to get but it's worth a try with ADs, you never know.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 09:24 PM   #3
vtwinrulez
"TRF" Member

The texture of the salmon dial makes for a pretty complex play of light, which I am not a huge fan of. On top of this, the brightware on the dial is blackened white gold, which also has funky lighting effects. With the lumed numerals and hands, it does look a bit more more balanced than the 5270P. So, make sure you can look at it in the metal. I reckon there's plenty of life left in this reference, and I'd recommend to wait for a yellow gold version.

5320s are not too difficult to get these days - they used to be very hard to get with the old, beige dial (not sure why this was the case, probably making them was a bit of a pain, and collectors went crazy). Times like these are ideal for buying such pieces, and the initial demand backlog will probably have cleared by early 2023. Sure, maybe you have to wait a few months, but if you come across as a credible non-flipper, there's little reason why an AD should not sell you this watch. As for the strap, either go for factory Patek strap, or order one from someone like Camille Fournet, who'll offer ample room for options.
vtwinrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 02:36 AM   #4
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

I expressed my interest when it was announced, and received mine last week. It was the first one allocated to the store so I imagine they’ll be a backlog for a while through AD’s if you’re new to them.

That said, have you considered grey? The mark-up isn’t extreme.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:42 AM   #5
Chrasmus
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the Feedback!

Thank you for all the helpful information! I did consider going grey, but would really prefer to go with an AD.
Chrasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 01:19 AM   #6
ryehn
"TRF" Member

I've got the 5172G with salmon dial so no comments on the 5320G itself, but the dial is absolutely stunning. Plus, it's Patek's Perpetual Cal, it's a win-win.

Feel free to follow along with my watch journey!
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 05:11 AM   #7
dlmypr
"TRF" Member

I bought it already in June =) Love it, I don't know why many people dislike or even hate it. The dial color is very much depended on the light and all the shades looks great. Hope I was able to help, if you have more questions just let me know.

dlmypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 05:40 AM   #8
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmypr View Post
I bought it already in June =) Love it, I don't know why many people dislike or even hate it. The dial color is very much depended on the light and all the shades looks great. Hope I was able to help, if you have more questions just let me know.
That moment when you open the box... beautiful watch, enjoy it well!
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 07:27 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It would not be hard to buy from an AD except for the fact production is very low from what I hear. My AD probably will not see one until next year from what they told me. The demand for the PC, while there, is not what it was ten years ago with the more complicated the better. The trend in my view for dress watches, is to time only pieces with accent on spectacular dials, movement design and finishing. It's what the independents are doing at the moment.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 04:07 PM   #10
dlmypr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It would not be hard to buy from an AD except for the fact production is very low from what I hear. My AD probably will not see one until next year from what they told me. The demand for the PC, while there, is not what it was ten years ago with the more complicated the better. The trend in my view for dress watches, is to time only pieces with accent on spectacular dials, movement design and finishing. It's what the independents are doing at the moment.
Wow, you wrote it so good, this really is the case.
Old 21 October 2022, 06:06 AM   #11
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrasmus View Post
I have never owned a Patek, and after seeing pictures of the 5320G-011 I love everything about it - except that I might prefer the watch on a black strap.

I would love to hear your thoughts re. this watch, as well as how difficult it would be to purchase one through a dealer.

Thank you,

Christian
Hello - I got my salmon 5320G-011 a few weeks ago and I love it. I’ve only not wore it for a couple of day, and that was because I was taking the kids to a theme park and wanted something more robust!

It’s a really stunning dial IMO, I still marvel at it daily.

As for how difficult it would be to purchase? I can’t answer that, but when I picked mine up I was told it was the very first my AD had been allocated, so I don’t think there are many around at this time.

The prices on the grey market aren’t crazy, if you really like the ways, perhaps go via that route?

Edit - wow, I just realised I had already responded to this post a week or so ago. I must be going senile. Oh well, at least the message was consistent lol.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 04:40 PM   #12
dlmypr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
Hello - I got my salmon 5320G-011 a few weeks ago and I love it. I’ve only not wore it for a couple of day, and that was because I was taking the kids to a theme park and wanted something more robust!

It’s a really stunning dial IMO, I still marvel at it daily.

As for how difficult it would be to purchase? I can’t answer that, but when I picked mine up I was told it was the very first my AD had been allocated, so I don’t think there are many around at this time.

The prices on the grey market aren’t crazy, if you really like the ways, perhaps go via that route?

Edit - wow, I just realised I had already responded to this post a week or so ago. I must be going senile. Oh well, at least the message was consistent lol.
=)) Enjoy your watch, I would be glad to hear the comments that you receive. When I was buying the watch, I was thinking that is a nice model which will not get so much attention but so many people ask "what is that watch" - its getting much more attention than I thought.
Old 21 October 2022, 07:28 PM   #13
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I bought and still prefer the ivory coloured 5320G. Colour aside I wear it every other day and apart from taking great care with water, treat it as I would any other watch. That’s to say not like a piece of Miessen china but with reasonable care.

As dlmypr observes, the main attraction for me, besides the amazing complication, is the fact it passes 99% of people by and doesn’t scream “LOOK AT ME” as Rolex tend to do.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 07:56 PM   #14
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I bought and still prefer the ivory coloured 5320G. Colour aside I wear it every other day and apart from taking great care with water, treat it as I would any other watch. That’s to say not like a piece of Miessen china but with reasonable care.

As dlmypr observes, the main attraction for me, besides the amazing complication, is the fact it passes 99% of people by and doesn’t scream “LOOK AT ME” as Rolex tend to do.
I meant to say conversely to dlmypr!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 03:01 AM   #15
dlmypr
"TRF" Member

I agree actually, one of the main reasons of why I bought it is the complication and the fact it doesn't scream. Still getting more attention than I thought =)
Old 23 October 2022, 02:47 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmypr View Post
I agree actually, one of the main reasons of why I bought it is the complication and the fact it doesn't scream. Still getting more attention than I thought =)
My 5320G gets no attention except maybe in a watch store, which I like. People are not really into watches where I live as it is more of a rural area away from any big city with high end watch stores.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 11:45 PM   #17
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I prefer creme dial of discontinued version…. By a mile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote