The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 June 2022, 06:33 PM   #61
330ci
"TRF" Member

5'10 started cycling September of 2020 at 200 pounds. Currently sitting around 145.

Cut out alcohol and meat 100%. Rice and beans daily + whatever other carbs I want to keep me energized. 3-4hrs of HIIT a week on average. Still drink energy drinks because alot of my training pushes my physical limits(last ride I maxed my HR at 194BPM, 101% of my theoretical max) but otherwise I don't really eat junk food or drink pop unless it's to carb load before intense workouts. I try to eat natural foods as much as possible when it comes to keeping myself fed though for actual meals.

My resting heart rate has been recorded as low as 33bpm average and hovers around 40 most days now. I'm healthier than I've ever been, and knowing how out of shape I've been, I'm pretty proud of where I'm at physically today. And even more excited to see how fit I can get at this point
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2022, 08:31 PM   #62
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Good job 330ci.

I’m no expert, but with your resting heart-rate that low like a pro athlete’s, maybe keep an eye on it to watch you don’t develop an arrhythmia? But again, congrats on getting into what sounds like phenomenal shape. Safe riding.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2022, 09:23 PM   #63
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Eat less food is the easiest way.

But, having said that, it’s even easier not to put on weight in the first place.

Eat real food, not processed or junk, regular exercise, and the self discipline not to overeat. This has served me well over my 50+ years & happily I’m the same weight as the 18 year old me.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2022, 09:48 PM   #64
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
no simple syrup and cherry in my bourbon(s)
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 12:51 AM   #65
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think it's great the calories in/calories out crowd is around because Big Pharma and the medical establishment loves it. It is actually the basis of the obesity epidemic in the US and a lot of the western world and rakes in billions of dollars in diet industry, and unused gym memberships.

Anecdotal stories not withstanding and they are inspirational, but to me if someone has the will power to exercise to a rather extreme level, then they should also have the will power to eat properly since eating properly in a country with obesity at something like 42% (an increase of 25% since 2008) is where the problem lies. People eating garbage that is disguised as food.

Calories in/calories out is a completely misleading and simplistic statement because the body does not treat all calories the same. Carb calories are converted to fat with an insulin spike added to the mix which can/does lead to insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes and fat retention.

A good read (and I've read a ton of nutritional books) is Dr Mark Hyman's "The Pegan Diet" a rather great instruction on proper eating even though the title is an inside joke.
i took your advice, and ordered that book.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 12:51 AM   #66
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephentross View Post

Its all hormonal. I suggest a brilliant read. "The Obesity Code" Unlocking The Secrets of Weight Loss by Dr Jason Fung
Yeah a good read.

Jason Fung is one of the top people on Type 2 Diabetes and ways to control and overcome it.
Old 19 June 2022, 01:09 AM   #67
yhzdude

Make love everyday, 3 times a day....😁😁😁 just like everyone else.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 01:40 AM   #68
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I think it's great the calories in/calories out crowd is around because Big Pharma and the medical establishment loves it. It is actually the basis of the obesity epidemic in the US and a lot of the western world and rakes in billions of dollars in diet industry, and unused gym memberships.

Anecdotal stories not withstanding and they are inspirational, but to me if someone has the will power to exercise to a rather extreme level, then they should also have the will power to eat properly since eating properly in a country with obesity at something like 42% (an increase of 25% since 2008) is where the problem lies. People eating garbage that is disguised as food.

Calories in/calories out is a completely misleading and simplistic statement because the body does not treat all calories the same. Carb calories are converted to fat with an insulin spike added to the mix which can/does lead to insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes and fat retention.

A good read (and I've read a ton of nutritional books) is Dr Mark Hyman's "The Pegan Diet" a rather great instruction on proper eating even though the title is an inside joke.
You are surely correct that there’s more complexity than calories in/out. But at the end of the day, the laws of thermodynamics must continue to be true, right? If I’m barely eating anything and doing a lot of activity, I’m going to lose weight because my body is not magic (although many women have called it magical over the years).
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 02:23 AM   #69
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
You are surely correct that there’s more complexity than calories in/out. But at the end of the day, the laws of thermodynamics must continue to be true, right? If I’m barely eating anything and doing a lot of activity, I’m going to lose weight because my body is not magic (although many women have called it magical over the years).
I've seen videos on Utube about your magical qualities. Awesome.

The problem is a calorie is not a calorie. The way that carbs vs fats vs protein interact with the body are different.

But the main problem with the calorie in/calorie out is the mindset behind it. When people decide they need to "lose a few pounds" the conventional wisdom is eat less or go exercise which is for most people a worthless proposition. After a few weeks they go back to eating the same as before and they get bored going to the gym.

Some people do actually get into an exercise program and drop a ton of weight but generally life happens and 5 years down the road or less things change and they don't have time/ stop exercising and the weight all comes back. Almost nobody who exercises in their 30s does the same in their 50s and 60s. Hence they gain weight and have health issues later in life.

In my opinion, the way to deal with weight issues is to learn how to buy real food, eat real food, learn what the macros are (carbs, fat, protein) and how they affect YOUR body and stabilize your weight.

Most people have it backwards. They think the exercise is the determining factor in weight/health, and it's not. It is diet/lifestyle.

Exercise is great and everyone should do it for health BUT if you eat properly decade after decade, your weight and health will stay stable, no matter how much exercise you do.

The diet is the stabilizing factor of your life and health. And once you learn to eat real food you no longer crave sugar and junk.
Old 19 June 2022, 02:48 AM   #70
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
hahaha

Feels awesome to be awesome lol
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:15 AM   #71
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Good job 330ci.

I’m no expert, but with your resting heart-rate that low like a pro athlete’s, maybe keep an eye on it to watch you don’t develop an arrhythmia? But again, congrats on getting into what sounds like phenomenal shape. Safe riding.
Lol I didn't say it was healthy, just that it worked.

Its extremely taxing on the body. Increases the likelihood of needing a pacemaker in my 60s 2 fold from what I've read is the main deterrent, and the decreased circulation makes it harder to maintain my skin temperature so i'm cold far more often than I used too, which is partially because of lower body fat. But otherwise quite a few benefits. Not sure what I could do to change it at this point, but I have been considering seeing a doctor about it as I definitely do have an arrhythmia already. I actually watched my Garmin as I felt it yesterday and I went from like 3xbpm to 5xbpm and kept fluttering in between the 2 number zones for like 10 seconds until it stabilized again. From what I've read its only problematic if you're unhealthy with a low heat rate though. I haven't spoken with a professional nor am I one either though so figure its probably not a bad idea to get a check up just to make sure I'm not destroying myself
Old 19 June 2022, 09:35 PM   #72
ft laud mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Avoid beer
this, no carbohydrates
ft laud mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 10:10 PM   #73
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Entirely remove:

Sugar
Seed Oils
High Fructose Corn Syrup

from your diet and you will lose weight without exercising. It’s not easy as seed oils and hfc are in just about everything sold in American Grocery stores. You have to learn how to read labels because they try and trick you and use different terminology for these things and act like they aren’t in there but they are.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 01:15 AM   #74
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
I've seen videos on Utube about your magical qualities. Awesome.

The problem is a calorie is not a calorie. The way that carbs vs fats vs protein interact with the body are different.

But the main problem with the calorie in/calorie out is the mindset behind it. When people decide they need to "lose a few pounds" the conventional wisdom is eat less or go exercise which is for most people a worthless proposition. After a few weeks they go back to eating the same as before and they get bored going to the gym.

Some people do actually get into an exercise program and drop a ton of weight but generally life happens and 5 years down the road or less things change and they don't have time/ stop exercising and the weight all comes back. Almost nobody who exercises in their 30s does the same in their 50s and 60s. Hence they gain weight and have health issues later in life.

In my opinion, the way to deal with weight issues is to learn how to buy real food, eat real food, learn what the macros are (carbs, fat, protein) and how they affect YOUR body and stabilize your weight.

Most people have it backwards. They think the exercise is the determining factor in weight/health, and it's not. It is diet/lifestyle.

Exercise is great and everyone should do it for health BUT if you eat properly decade after decade, your weight and health will stay stable, no matter how much exercise you do.

The diet is the stabilizing factor of your life and health. And once you learn to eat real food you no longer crave sugar and junk.
You speak with great knowledge Blanski. I’ll assume you must be a doctor yourself and apparently you must be in great physical condition, just curious
, what’s your height and weight.

For me, I haven’t been working out for seven years because I have great “will power”. I work out because when I didn’t I was fat, weak and in a poor mental state. When I work out I’m lean, strong and most importantly I’m positive and productive. And that is my “lifestyle”. 10-12 hours a week exercising and I’m confident will be my lifestyle for the rest of my time. Counting calories, carbs and tracking protein spikes, not so much my style. Pretty sure I’d fail at that.

I know you say that “most” people fail at weight loss, there’s truth in that statement. There’s also truth that millions of people have turned their lives around and have great success.

Oh and a Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there.
Old 20 June 2022, 01:35 AM   #75
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
You speak with great knowledge Blanski. I’ll assume you must be a doctor yourself and apparently you must be in great physical condition, just curious
, what’s your height and weight.

For me, I haven’t been working out for seven years because I have great “will power”. I work out because when I didn’t I was fat, weak and in a poor mental state. When I work out I’m lean, strong and most importantly I’m positive and productive. And that is my “lifestyle”. 10-12 hours a week exercising and I’m confident will be my lifestyle for the rest of my time. Counting calories, carbs and tracking protein spikes, not so much my style. Pretty sure I’d fail at that.

I know you say that “most” people fail at weight loss, there’s truth in that statement. There’s also truth that millions of people have turned their lives around and have great success.

Oh and a Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there.
LOL. My only education is life.

Basically I studied nutrition to continue playing hockey 4 times a week at a decent level until I was 68. Then due to knee issues I quit when Covid shut down all the rinks.

I'm 6'4 and 190 and maintained that since I was 25. In around 2005 I started reading everything on Primal/Paleo and started reducing carbs which was a big deal because I used to live on them for "energy" supposedly.

Around 2016, I did Keto (50 carbs or less) for about 9 months to become 'fat"adapted" so the body burns fat instead of carbs for fuel. However I found I hit the wall playing hockey in the first 5 minutes so I used a carb fuel (UCAN) to carb up before a game and that solved the problem.

Now I slide in and out of Keto weekly and do intermittent fasting (no food between 6 PM and around 10-noon the next day) maybe 4 days a week. And generally only eat about 2 meals a day.

I still eat Primal..no packaged junk, just good nutritious real food. When you cut down carbs you loose the insulin spikes which cause you to be hungry every 2 hours and of course when you stop eating junk that's jammed with sugar, soon you no longer crave it.

Your story is great and you should be very proud of your accomplishment but I would just suggest getting the diet under more control and probably down from 3000 with real food and since you're 55, you probably will slow down some in the future.

As I said before a couple of good books are Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson...his website is Marks Daily Apple. And The Pegan Diet by Mark Hyman.

And there is no need to count calories and be overly obsessive about eating as long as you eat real food 90% of the time.
Old 20 June 2022, 02:39 AM   #76
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Sounds like you’re in great shape. I’ll check out the website.
Old 20 June 2022, 05:17 AM   #77
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

https://time.com/5761592/how-to-live...and-healthier/

They're both equally important. And they act as a failsafe when paired together. If you slack on your diet, your exercise can make up for it and vice versa. Not to mention physical exercise is proven to slow down cognitive decline, and if you're strong when you're younger the physical decline of aging hits you less hard as time moves on.

I went mountainbiking on an expert trail a few weeks back. Half the people there were 50+ kicking my ass, the oldest being 73 and still out there doing close to 2k of climbing over 17 miles. Theres far more 40+ endurance riders than 18-39 yr olds out there from what I see.

Seem the bulk of the people on group rides are retirees. I think most people don't see anyone doing anything around them and assume most people are that way. After getting involved in the cycling community though, it surprises me when people are impressed with my stats because I'm quite mediocre in the field of people I'm trying to impress lol. But seriously seems like everyone is doing multiple 100k rides a week when I look at strava.

For me, I pretty much learned everything you've said about eating and working out through life and listening to my body. I didn't really understand what worked until i paired my diet with exercise though. I got to 200 pounds because I didn't get out of bed for 2 months after breaking my back and eating too many comfort foods whilst being there. But even when I was eating healthy and skinny, I didn't feel half as good as I do now with better cardiovascular health, lower fat content and more efficient muscles.
Old 20 June 2022, 05:42 AM   #78
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Being the dedicated Hypochondriac that I am… I started having chest pains while reading these posts about your heart rate. So I just checked my pulse.. 56, which is about normal for me.

If there was a thread on here with women describing giving birth I would swear I was having labor pains….

I am such a Dorklehead
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 02:45 PM   #79
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Being the dedicated Hypochondriac that I am… I started having chest pains while reading these posts about your heart rate. So I just checked my pulse.. 56, which is about normal for me.

If there was a thread on here with women describing giving birth I would swear I was having labor pains….

I am such a Dorklehead

Hahaha, Paul... too funny.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 03:33 PM   #80
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Lots of great testimonies here. I have to agree about chosen diet habits that an individual finds successful for weight maintenance.

Some suggestions from one who has had gerd and poor diet due to unrelenting stress and crazy work schedules, especially night shifts. Since retiring, I changed course. It's been a work in progress, but I do feel better.

No processed foods.
No soda or commercial fruit juices.
No alcohol, but maybe one glass wine limit weekly.
No sugar.
No gluten.
Limited starches, ie. potatoes.

Do:
Fresh food preparations, lean meats, veggies, dark green salads, fruit.
Limit cheese.
Apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp in water before evening meal)
Raw unfiltered honey
Almond milk
Olive oil for salads.
Avocado oil for cooking.
Lemon water in morning.
Biggest meal is breakfast.
Small evening meal on a small plate, lol.
Nuts, organic seeds for snacks.
Lots of water. (9 cups women, 13 for men - daily recommendations)
Green tea.

Daily record of your caloric intakes: writing everything down was the best thing I did to start with.

Personal pep talks - yes, a lot of those!

Best of luck and persistence to all of us for happy health!!
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 04:05 PM   #81
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
In my late 20s, a friend gave me advice about glycemic index after I went hypoglycemic during a long hike. I mentally filed away that advice and did nothing.

Then for other reasons, I started going to the gym in my 30s, became pretty psycho about it.

Late 40s, a close friend (different friend) betrayed me, I went into a bit of a depression, lifestyle changed somewhat. Quit the gym. Quit certain hobbies. (Re)discovered alcohol. I just didn't care.

Managed to get weight nicely in control with IF alone, but otherwise lifestyle still wasn't great. Then covid happened, and some interesting new bad habits formed. Then more recently, I realized that a lot of my clothes were getting tight.

Now I'm finally following the advice of the hiking friend, all these decades later. Currently low carbs. Resumed my IF. Added HIIT and modest weights for quicker results. Currently down 9 pounds after 3 weeks, so far it's been nice and steady, no sudden drops.

Once I reach my goal, the plan is to try and find a balance point for maintenance mode, which I reckon will be trial and error. My OCD might actually push me beyond my goal, but I hope not. I do have a tendency to get pretty psycho about some things. I don't want to lose too much weight. My OCD has been a hinderance in other areas of my life, but for weight loss, it has been a plus. The hardest part is finding a spark, and then I'm like a robot and just do it. This time the spark was ill-fitting clothes. I just didn't want to buy bigger clothes. Superficial I know, but I really hate clothes shopping.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 02:49 AM   #82
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
now I'm finally following the advice of the hiking friend, all these decades later. Currently low carbs. Resumed my IF. Added HIIT and modest weights for quicker results. Currently down 9 pounds after 3 weeks, so far it's been nice and steady, no sudden drops.
You're on the right track mr. pizza.

I lost 20kg on the last year and a half and I've been stable for almost a year. I went from 82 kg to 62 kg. Didn't even know I had that much fat on my body and now at 52 yrs old I have that six pack I always wanted lol. best thing I'll be able to keep that way without too much effort.

First thing I did was get rid of breakfast. No one needs that. I wake up and I drink water and black cofee thats all. We're not a car that need gas to run. Quite the opposite. First we run then we eat. Deplete first complete later. If I spent 8 hours sleeping why would I need to eat a bunch of food especially carbs. makes no sense at least to me. Then at lunch around 1pm just vegetables and meat. low quantity. At 6pm my last meal and here I just eat whatever the heck I want. You name it. Pizza, cheeseburger, cake, fruits, hot dogs, anything I want. That way I went from 3 meals a day to 1 and a half and I eat nothing in between meals. Instead of being happy three times a day I'm completely happy just once a day, so, like I said, how to lose weight: eat less lol

ps1 - I workout six days a week too. great for the body, even better for my mental health.

ps2- On weekends I love to drink beer and I'll do that tonight. you bet I wll lol
Old 25 June 2022, 03:05 AM   #83
K7Baixo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Code, Explor.II
I do intermittent fasting so, essentially I skip dinner. I also use a WaterRower three days a week. Rowing is measured in meters and I’m just a tad below 60,000 meters month-to-date. That’s just over 37 miles. I also bicycle although I’ve been off the bike while moving and building a new shop. I am currently 6’2”, 195-ish….that’s the same as when I was in college 37 years ago. At my largest, I was pushing 245.

Diet is a larger factor than exercise although they do complement each other. One Big Mac is probably 500 calories. How time does it take you to burn 500 calories while exercising?
Old 25 June 2022, 03:15 AM   #84
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

I once lost 70 pounds in 2.5 months.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 03:49 AM   #85
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Create a calorie deficit.
It's really hard to know when you are in a deficit though... that is the main problem me thinks.
nikhsub1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 04:01 AM   #86
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
It's really hard to know when you are in a deficit though... that is the main problem me thinks.
It's the easiest thing in the world to know. You learn your body's resting metabolic rate, account for exercise, and count all calories consumed (this will involve measuring/weighing your foods).
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 04:17 AM   #87
textilexst
Banned

YouTube can always suggest good tips for effective weight loss. It worked great for me.
textilexst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 04:24 AM   #88
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
It's the easiest thing in the world to know. You learn your body's resting metabolic rate, account for exercise, and count all calories consumed (this will involve measuring/weighing your foods).
Agree.
Old 25 June 2022, 04:35 AM   #89
bullies
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’ve always been into working out, but my diet was a joke. Cheesesteaks, a lot of pizza, sandwiches and alcohol. In the beginning of 2021 I decided to make a long term change.
Whole Foods - apples/watermelon/almonds/eggs/avocados etc etc. Cut way back on alcohol (one or two drinks a month, sometimes none).
6 days a week CrossFit/HIIT/Active lifting type weight training and then additional cardio run or bike in the afternoon. On Sunday I do a long cardio only workout.
Took my body fat from 16% to 5’ish% (at my lowest) now I’m around 7% a year later.
190ish pounds to 160 flat.
At 190 I’d run and my knees would hurt, now I’m pain free. Probably a combo of weight loss and the inflammatory foods I used to eat.
I turn 37 this year and have my 3rd (and last) kid on the way. I plan on keeping this regiment going as long as possible.

Long story short - working out helps, but diet is more important. IMO
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 04:40 AM   #90
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
Personally, I’ve always been into working out, but my diet was a joke. Cheesesteaks, a lot of pizza, sandwiches and alcohol. In the beginning of 2021 I decided to make a long term change.
Whole Foods - apples/watermelon/almonds/eggs/avocados etc etc. Cut way back on alcohol (one or two drinks a month, sometimes none).
6 days a week CrossFit/HIIT/Active lifting type weight training and then additional cardio run or bike in the afternoon. On Sunday I do a long cardio only workout.
Took my body fat from 16% to 5’ish% (at my lowest) now I’m around 7% a year later.
190ish pounds to 160 flat.
At 190 I’d run and my knees would hurt, now I’m pain free. Probably a combo of weight loss and the inflammatory foods I used to eat.
I turn 37 this year and have my 3rd (and last) kid on the way. I plan on keeping this regiment going as long as possible.

Long story short - working out helps, but diet is more important. IMO
Absolutely

And congrats