The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2022, 12:25 AM   #31
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
That’s not a bad idea. I’ll be flying through the UK in a few months and the exchange rate prices them about 20% less. Might have to go that route
Reviving this in the hopes someone can comment in recent Rimowa pricing. In preparation for a trip to Munich in a few days, I was thinking about picking up the Cabin case but was shocked to find out how much prices have risen in the last few years since I bought my 26”.

I was expecting to pay around $700 USD given my past experiences but now it looks like it would be around $1000 given the VAT refund.

Maybe the OP can comment?

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 11:12 AM   #32
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Reviving this in the hopes someone can comment in recent Rimowa pricing. In preparation for a trip to Munich in a few days, I was thinking about picking up the Cabin case but was shocked to find out how much prices have risen in the last few years since I bought my 26”.

I was expecting to pay around $700 USD given my past experiences but now it looks like it would be around $1000 given the VAT refund.

Maybe the OP can comment?
Yea, a couple of months ago, right when I was about to pull the trigger, they raised the prices worldwide. They did justify it by also increasing the warranty from 5 years to lifetime. That is nice. I’ve used my lifetime warranty several times on my AWAY and Briggs & Riley cases. Buying internationally right now makes a lot of sense because of the strength of the dollar. I was in London two weeks ago and it would have cost under $1200 for a bag that would be over $1500 here with tax.

I ended up buy a slightly used in on eBay for around $800. I kinda wish I’d just got a brand new one in London and paid a little more but it is what it is. Rimowa is definitely the best in this niche but they’re pricing themselves out of the market I believe
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 01:45 PM   #33
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
Yea, a couple of months ago, right when I was about to pull the trigger, they raised the prices worldwide. They did justify it by also increasing the warranty from 5 years to lifetime. That is nice. I’ve used my lifetime warranty several times on my AWAY and Briggs & Riley cases. Buying internationally right now makes a lot of sense because of the strength of the dollar. I was in London two weeks ago and it would have cost under $1200 for a bag that would be over $1500 here with tax.

I ended up buy a slightly used in on eBay for around $800. I kinda wish I’d just got a brand new one in London and paid a little more but it is what it is. Rimowa is definitely the best in this niche but they’re pricing themselves out of the market I believe
Thanks for the info. I was stunned to see the last price increase now pushing the Cabin model to $1,400. So, $1,200 EU might be the best I would see. I think I will have a hard time spending that much over a B&R.

I had to replace a plastic piece inside of my carryon and discovered that Rimowa now will to send parts to local shops. I had to call in to HQ in NJ and they first refused to send me the part. They actually wanted me to ship the case (at my expense both ways) so they could undo two screws and replace the broken part. I had to escalate all the way up the chain of command. I was thinking the cabin bag would not have nearly as many warranty issues.

Might look at B&R again.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 09:50 PM   #34
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Definitely unimpressed with Rimowa post LVMH. The previous good service has given way to lousy service. I’m done with them.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 10:11 PM   #35
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I just can’t get on board with spending a lot on luggage by the way they get abused by conveyors and luggage “handlers”… YMMV
My thoughts too. I don’t travel with any items in luggage I can’t afford to lose or have damaged.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 10:57 PM   #36
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

According to an ex-employee (TV interview) 'Fancy' hold luggage, is seen as a target/challenge by baggage handlers.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote