The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2022, 06:06 AM   #31
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The toothpaste is out of the tube, no doubt. No way it would never happen but think of the immense shockwave generated if everyone stopped using FB & Twitter just for one weekend. People could take the power back from the tech giants but instead prefer to point & blame others rather than changing their own behavior. Much easier that way.
dP
Yep, no doubt. Unfortunately these are not the only two platforms with such a huge or even corrosive influence on our society. Oh, if only we could return to the days when broadcast news existed of only three networks and it was regulated. No, now the market regulates it instead. So as long as the viewer hears and sees what they want to see the requirement of fair, balanced, and factual be D****d, not mention the fact the truth doesn’t even matter anymore.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 06:12 AM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Agree. And the fact that younger generations are on their phones all day and half the night.

I wonder what the percentage of people that are absolutely unable to put down their phones for 15 minutes and are still getting "notifications" every minute. The addiction rate must be staggering.

The fact that "news" is generated by these companies is pretty scary. And that these platforms are controlled by a handful of billionaires.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/20/st...e-has-dropped/
I yearn for the days when the US only had three broadcast networks and news was a money loser and news was a public service and obligation. Uncle Walter had 60% of the audience vs today where two sets of truths are being reported. The US may have still had internal problems and differences but nothing like we have today where so called commentators get away with conspiracy theories instead of reporting the news.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 10:53 PM   #33
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I yearn for the days when the US only had three broadcast networks and news was a money loser and news was a public service and obligation. Uncle Walter had 60% of the audience vs today where two sets of truths are being reported. The US may have still had internal problems and differences but nothing like we have today where so called commentators get away with conspiracy theories instead of reporting the news.
Agree. Today, most of the "news" on all sides of the isle is opinion/agenda driven. And do not see it getting better.
Old 9 October 2022, 04:49 AM   #34
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm a Muskateer i think the man is a genius with the Midas touch.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 04:46 AM   #35
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I find a quiet satisfaction that Musk - the ultimate online troll - is over a barrel with his ill-thought-out Twitter purchase. Anything bad for Musk is good with me.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 06:09 AM   #36
Star Ferry
Banned

Icon16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I find a quiet satisfaction that Musk - the ultimate online troll - is over a barrel with his ill-thought-out Twitter purchase. Anything bad for Musk is good with me.
He’s far from over the barrel here. When you buy a large enough company for non-terrible lawyers to be involved, certain representations and warranties are made by the sellers. The accuracy of those warranties is often a condition to closing. He had his reasons for stepping away, the inevitable litigation ensued, and now it appears he will go through with the planned transaction.

I haven’t seen any evidence personally that his purchase was “ill thought out” nor would I characterize him as a troll. What you see as trolling is a wry game of poking fun at the “experts” who run our society, do a terrible job of it, and take themselves unbelievably seriously while they ruin everything they touch.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 06:11 AM   #37
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Im not a tweeter, I just blog a lot.
Old 12 October 2022, 06:42 AM   #38
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
He’s far from over the barrel here. When you buy a large enough company for non-terrible lawyers to be involved, certain representations and warranties are made by the sellers. The accuracy of those warranties is often a condition to closing. He had his reasons for stepping away, the inevitable litigation ensued, and now it appears he will go through with the planned transaction.

I haven’t seen any evidence personally that his purchase was “ill thought out” nor would I characterize him as a troll. What you see as trolling is a wry game of poking fun at the “experts” who run our society, do a terrible job of it, and take themselves unbelievably seriously while they ruin everything they touch.
Musk did his best to get out of the deal, but is tied into it.

Musk is an appalling troll, look at his "pedo guy" nonsense, for one example.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 07:17 AM   #39
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Musk did his best to get out of the deal, but is tied into it.

Musk is an appalling troll, look at his "pedo guy" nonsense, for one example.
I agree with you on his pedo comments. That was a low point for him and it had real world consequences for others.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote