The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 01:15 AM   #1
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Unbelievable Accuracy

I reset my 6 digit (block head) Submariner, purchased in November, 2019 in March to correspond with daylight savings time and haven't set it since. The watch is currently 5 seconds slow! Needless to say, I'm not interested in the new movement in the 20/20 Submariners.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:48 AM   #2
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I reset my 6 digit (block head) Submariner, purchased in November, 2019 in March to correspond with daylight savings time and haven't set it since. The watch is currently 5 seconds slow! Needless to say, I'm not interested in the new movement in the 20/20 Submariners.
Good result! I like the expression "block head" BTW (could be a good nick name!)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:49 AM   #3
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Wow!!
Old 26 September 2020, 01:50 AM   #4
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Insane! WOW! Makes me want to own one too.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Yes unbelievable accuracy you must have a movement in 10000000,and no matter the movement, or brand of watch its only as good as what its been regulated to that matches there owners daily wearing resting paten..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:01 AM   #6
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I bought my first mechanical watch about 6 months ago; a Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Silicium.

I had read about accuracy but never experienced it in real life. My friend got a Hamilton Khaki at the same time.

Mine had some variance the first couple of months but then hit a stride of being +- .5 a day and staying around zero after 4 months and I thought that was great. I was surprised to read of people with Rolex and new Omega who would lose 1-2 seconds a day and be at -30 seconds after a month. My friend's Hamilton would gain or lose about 5 seconds a day consistently.

I've already prepared myself for my new 32xx movement Rolex not being as accurate as my $500 Tissot but I'm hoping for the best. I don't mind if it's like +.5 a day and I can just hack the seconds once a week and get it back on track but -2 a day would be a real bummer for me.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:06 AM   #7
skyblue12
"TRF" Member

My June 2020 Sub runs about a second slow per day so mines not as accurate, I wish it was. Hopefully it will settle down.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
skyblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:09 AM   #8
TTalk
Banned

That’s pretty darn good. I lose about 3 minutes every 4 months with my 116610LN that I wear every day.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:20 AM   #9
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Im impressed too, my YM42 hasn't lost or gained a second in a week. My deepsea same movement loses about a second a day
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Great accuracy there! Enjoy the block head!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:27 AM   #11
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Very impressive. To be fair, losing or gaining 1 second per day is still incredible accuracy for any mechanical movement. COSC Chronometer average daily rate limits are -4/+6 sec/day.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:33 AM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

COSC needs to be more strict. -4/+6 is a bit trash these days from what I've seen. If a $500 watch is +2/-2 a day without any certification it sort of makes a COSC certification worthless; except it's actually a big cost additive.
Old 26 September 2020, 02:34 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue12 View Post
My June 2020 Sub runs about a second slow per day so mines not as accurate, I wish it was. Hopefully it will settle down.

You mean your not happy with 99.99% accuracy remember there are 86400 seconds in a day. Its mechanical and no mechanical watch no matter the brand or price will be 100% accurate.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 September 2020, 02:44 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
COSC needs to be more strict. -4/+6 is a bit trash these days from what I've seen. If a $500 watch is +2/-2 a day without any certification it sort of makes a COSC certification worthless; except it's actually a big cost additive.
Hardly trash I sometime wonder if some of you guys actually know how a mechanical movement works. Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times and a day has 86400 seconds. And when they test watches at the COSC to get the certification in a controlled environment which is quite different to when on the wrist. On the wrist there are many variables to overcome given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, mainspring power-reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The plain simple fact no purely mechanical watch made at any price or brand will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 September 2020, 02:59 AM   #15
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

My expectations are pretty high just because I'm new to the mechanical watch world. It's like buying a brand new car and then looking at the specs of something from 2001.

*I'm a bit of a movement nerd and I'm pining over the new GS 9RA5.

If this watch wasn't so thick, and didn't have the 4'o clock date window, I'd be all over it:

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ne...se/20200305-10
Old 26 September 2020, 03:10 AM   #16
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
my SD43 consistently tracking -0.3 spd since March
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #17
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Hardly trash I sometime wonder if some of you guys actually know how a mechanical movement works. Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times and a day has 86400 seconds. And when they test watches at the COSC to get the certification in a controlled environment which is quite different to when on the wrist. On the wrist there are many variables to overcome given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, mainspring power-reserve, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The plain simple fact no purely mechanical watch made at any price or brand will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no
Thanks for this info, concise and useful. I do believe that there are some who expect perfection from their mechanical timepiece especially as the price rises. My 10 year old Seamaster is the most inaccurate at around 4-5 seconds a day but still well within spec for its movement. All my other watches are less than that and get adjusted at the end of the month when worn for long periods. My DJ is the most accurate maybe a second a day which is just awesome.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:26 AM   #18
Dahh
Banned

I feel like getting one right now. Wow!!
Dahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:03 AM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The 3135 is a LEGEND
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:09 AM   #20
pikers
"TRF" Member

That's impressive! The longest I've worn a single watch in my collection is a month straight, that was my 16570 Polar with 3186 (recently serviced). After an entire month it was +3 seconds which blew my mind. The 31XX movements are no joke. No wonder they've been around for years.
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:20 AM   #21
ffscala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi 126710BLRO
Just had my 15 year old Explorer II regulated and it has been running at +-0, no joke. Such an old movement running like this is just a joy to behold.
ffscala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:30 AM   #22
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Smaller dataset but my new DJ36 has gained five seconds in 23 days, all of it when off the wrist. It took nine days of consecutive wearing to lose it’s first second before I started wearing other watches, about 2.5 days total off the wrist not including sleep. So far it’s the most accurate Rolex I’ve owned but it sounds like that’s destined to change. I’ll worry about that later. Right now I’m all smiles.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:50 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Virtually perfect regulation for your daily wear. Epic!

My 'old' 40mm is about 0.5 sec fast a day... and the crown lines up too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:00 AM   #24
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:

One second a day is pretty good in the grand scheme of things.........
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:02 AM   #25
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Sorry, but that is unbelieveable and maybe impossible accuracy for a fully mechanical watch, but if it is really true you need to call Guinness book of world records, as that has to be one of the most accurate mechanical watches...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:04 AM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

A second per day off is really quite incredible when you think about it for a mechanical watch. Amazing watch movements can be so precise.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:04 AM   #27
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Awesome!

My 14270 was running at +2 after wearing it for about a week. Good enough for me.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #28
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Sorry, but that is unbelieveable and maybe impossible accuracy for a fully mechanical watch, but if it is really true you need to call Guinness book of world records, as that has to be one of the most accurate mechanical watches...
My $500 Tissot was running a net zero seconds fast or slow after 4 months of daily wear. It would speed up a second one day and slow down a second the next but never more than a couple a day.

Apparently this is much more accurate than I can expect most new Rolexes to be. But I know you're buying the form and not the accuracy and that it being good accuracy is close enough.
Old 26 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #29
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

Tissot themselves claim +/- 10 seconds a day. Perhaps you have the most accurate tissot ever. The factory would probably like to examine it.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:06 AM   #30
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drunmond View Post
Tissot themselves claim +/- 10 seconds a day. Perhaps you have the most accurate tissot ever. The factory would probably like to examine it.
I read that my exact same movement was sent to COSC for certification and they just cost an extra $500+ for the COSC verified ones. I think the main difference was the Silicium has a composite escapement and silicon hairspring and the COSC ones were alloys. Maybe the composite/silicon ones are just over achievers.

Oh I did notice in those first couple of months with it that the resting position made a big difference in the accuracy. I tested different angles and found that resting it crown up was what kept it regular. I read that no two watches are alike and you have to test the resting position on all watches to figure out which way works best.