The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
(DMB)
"TRF" Member

Question regarding an older Datejust

I recently purchased a datejust dating to around 1982. It has the cal 3035 movement and the ref number is 16030 with the acrylic crystal, SS bezel, quickset date.The seller is reputable, and I have all the service papers from a 2007 full service done by Rolex. Here is the scenario:

Over the weekend I starting swapping watches all day long like all of us watch nerds do. I usually set everything and at least hack it to one of my others that is running. I wore the watch sporadically over the weekend, and wound up wearing it to work today. About mid morning I noticed the date was a day or two behind. Now, I could have forgotten to set the date when I was messing with it over the weekend. Anyhow, when I set it at work to the correct date, I noticed that not only was it off, but in the wrong AM/PM configuration. Anyhow, I manually advanced the hands several days making sure it snapped over at midnight (which it did .. on the spot). When I was convinced that everything was working as it should, I set the time (10:30 AM) then began quicksetting the date. I had manually advanced it earlier to several days past the correct date, so I basically had to go around the horn with it. Everthing worked fine, until I got to the 28th where it hung up halfway. I had to push the crown in, and pull it back out to the first position, then it clicked over when I began turning it again. It did it again on either the 29th or 30th. I repeated everything and set it to today's date.

Given this long, drawn out scenario ... my question is this: Can a date wheel get messed up only in a certain spot? If so, that could explain why it still showed a date from this weekend. I hadn't worn the watch since the 20th or so, so it seems if I forgot to set the date it would have shown farther back than the 29th, which is what I think it was showing when I noticed it this morning. Thanks, I know this was long.
(DMB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
volkersports

I have a 1957 Datejust 6605 that did that when I first got it. When the watchmaker took it apart, he found that the oil had caked on the date wheel from long periods of inacitivity. He cleaned it off (and the rest of the movement) and it has run well ever since. However, it is hard to believe that if that is the case, the Rolex service would not have caught that in 07.
volkersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2011, 11:08 AM   #3
(DMB)
"TRF" Member

Hell, it could have been running fine after the servie in 07. Like I said, I bought it from a respected seller, who only had it a short time. Then again, maybe I screwed it up. I thought newer Rolexes could not be damaged if you wuickset the date between certain times (like ETA movements), but I'm not sure about this caliber. Either way, I guess time will tell. I'm gonna keep it running for a month and see if there are any problems. I was just curious if it was operator error or if possibly there was something that malfunctioned only at a certain spot on the date wheel.
Old 1 February 2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
IMO 2007 was a few years ago and it doesn't take much to interfere with the tolerances on the date wheel. Why not advance it a few more time to confirm that this is recurring. If it is then take it to your watchmaker for a check. Sounds like something that would be easy to fix.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2011, 03:14 AM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I'm going to say this like you are talking about your first Rolex-- if it isn't -- excuse me. This sounds like fairly typical, "needs service" trouble. If you have a local watch tech who can look at it, he might be able to make a minor adjustment, and you could be good for a few years. If the watch was serviced in 2007, every AD I've ever been to will tell you "it needs service". Doesn't matter what is wrong, and most of them don't have anyone inhouse to really look at it. They just mail it to RSC.

The nice thing about that is that RSC does great work, but you'll be down $550.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
(DMB)
"TRF" Member

Well, it looks like everything is cool ... for now. I went through the date dial, setting the watch at a few minutes before midnight, and watching it flip over. Then I'd quick set it a few days, and then repeat the 11:57 pm thing, then quickset a few days, repeat, etc. All looks good. I've had buku autos and have 3 Rolexes now. Trust me, I'm not one of those "can I wear my Rolex while making toast" guys. The only reason I posted was that I'm not familiar with this older movement and was wondering if it was a bit quirky.