The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2020, 01:00 PM   #91
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I'm still on the fence …….
This watch is crazy amazing.

Again, only thing GS needs.. reduce thickness. This one is 14.3mm thick! Why would they possibility need it to be that thick for a 3 hand date watch.

Also the caseback... I get it’s a limited edition Godzilla. But why print that on the caseback like that... ? Lol

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga405g
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 01:34 PM   #92
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

its godzilla, no need for tiny proportions
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 08:56 PM   #93
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Perception of Grand Seikos?

I'm now on my second GS and I'm beginning to shape an opinion on the brand. I've got one of each of the higher precision watches, a quartz and a spring drive. Both work as they should. As a matter of fact I've been quite impressed with both watch's accuracies. The quarts 9F is just absolutely remarkable and seems to be holding very constant as near zero delta to international standard time. The spring drive with its 9R drive is also accurate within a second per day so far. That said, the appearance of both watch on the dial, case, and bracelet all seem to be superior as well. The exhibition case of the SBGA001 shows off the nicely decorated engine beautifully. The bracelet has nice accents in highly polished stainless.

These are all great things but here's where I diverge from slobbering praise. When I hold a Rolex in my hand I feel the watches weight and think, wow, this is substantial. With the two SG I've got neither gives me that feel. I doubt their ability to be used hard and worn with minimal worry. Also I'm less than impressed with the way the endlinks contact the case. I really wish that GS had thought this out better. The gap is just too apparent. Additionally, the lack of micro adjustment on the bracelets is really missed, too.

In summary, GS makes a beautiful, to behold, watch. The fit and finish are near perfect but I think they lack something in design and substance which Rolex has and SG should aspire to. With the nationalism that I see in SG propaganda footage, I don't believe that they can get over themselves and move to the next tier.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:22 PM   #94
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I agree. That said, how do you perceive them?
FOR ME, it’s simple; It is absolutely the best watch for my money.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 07:42 PM   #95
Holishi
"TRF" Member

Got a snowflake after years of dreaming, and always amazed/proud when strangers recognize it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 12:19 PM   #96
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Anybody who truly appreciates watchmaking would appreciate Grand Seiko.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:22 PM   #97
wrx04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
FOR ME, it’s simple; It is absolutely the best watch for my money.
Nice. Thanks for the response. Great feedback.

I think it'll make the top three in my collection for various reasons. So far, this is my list....

Rolex Explorer (214270) or Sub (114060)
Grand Seiko (SBGA211/SBGA427)
Omega Speedmaster Pro (FOIS)
JLC Master Control

Honorable mention: Tudor BB58 (black), JLC Reverso

I'm in for three, maybe four watches tops. Looking to get a high quality, versatile collection for ~15-20k tops. I appreciate simplicity and quality. If I won't wear it regularly, I dont want it.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 08:44 PM   #98
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Why oh why does this have to be a US only release??

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2020, 07:01 AM   #99
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post

These are all great things but here's where I diverge from slobbering praise. When I hold a Rolex in my hand I feel the watches weight and think, wow, this is substantial. With the two SG I've got neither gives me that feel. I doubt their ability to be used hard and worn with minimal worry. Also I'm less than impressed with the way the endlinks contact the case. I really wish that GS had thought this out better. The gap is just too apparent. Additionally, the lack of micro adjustment on the bracelets is really missed, too.

In summary, GS makes a beautiful, to behold, watch. The fit and finish are near perfect but I think they lack something in design and substance which Rolex has and SG should aspire to.
I have one of the anniversary special edition quartz models with the 9F85 movement modified to within 5s a year. I've only had it a month and the time is bang on - and the quality of finishing for the price is great, which is something you see across their whole range.

I see what you mean about the 'substance' though; it's not a weighty 'tool watch' like the Rolex models, and I guess it's not supposed to be - but it feels like the bracelet is a class below what they could be aspiring towards.

For a while I was considering a Snowflake, but had resigned myself to the idea of putting it on a strap as I didn't really think its bracelet was good enough for the watch, having experienced what brands like Rolex can do. But then I changed one of my other watches leaving me with nothing on a steel bracelet, and I decided to scratch the GS itch with the quartz limited edition at a substantially lower price point than a Snowflake or Skyflake.

I do really like my GS and it's a keeper. And for an under £3k watch, the bracelet isn't 'bad'. It's not like Rolex offer perfect bracelets with Glidelock clasps at a $4k pricepoint. It's just not great, which is something that would maybe help elevate the brand if they could work on that.

Here's an inappropriate generalisation. As we know from the Sony TV commercial within the classic Dudley Moore 1990 movie Crazy People: the Japanese are short, which is great because their eyes are closer to the detailed components while caucasians are big and gangly and further away. So, these physical attributes probably make them great at fine finishing on luxury watches.

However, if they're not big and gangly, maybe they don't need their watches to be substantial and weighty. A slender Japanese wrist might think the light weight of the GS bracelets makes them refined and comfortable. Whereas those of us from the UK or US (where the average male is 5cm taller, and heavier than the average Japanese man) might think them disappointingly flimsy and wish they were sturdier, and came with an Easylink adjustment for when we're having 'a fat day'.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2020, 01:54 PM   #100
Holishi
"TRF" Member

If you want bang for you buck, consider Nomos. It was my first manufacturier when I started my collection

Holishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 02:57 AM   #101
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Love GS, especially the vintage models.

Regarding Nomos: it is a great value, but the brand is a bit of a one-trick pony due to the design principles borrowed from Bauhaus. Once you have a Nomos watch, you have all Nomos timepieces. Finishing cannot compare to GS.
Old 31 August 2020, 02:24 AM   #102
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I have been a watch lover since childhood.

I discovered GS when I was 26 or 27 and they always have been very high on my wishlist.

Wanted my first “high tag price” pieces to be a safe bet so got myself a 16710 GMT Master 2 for my 30th birthday. It was a lot of money and i needed the brand awareness coming from the name.

Bought another one for my wife when my daughter was born. It will be handed over to her when she turns 21 as a family memory.

3 years later my son was born and got myself a SD4000 following the same principle.

Since then going twice a year to Japan I keep trying them on.

But finally this summer I got my first GS. A Snowflake, the dial and the hybrid technology are the 2 things that decided me over its competitor the Hi Beat GMT SBGJ017 (my GMT master will stay as my traveling watch I guess).

I will repeat everything everyone as already said. They are underrated. No other brand can compete at that price point. They are hand made masterpieces and if you look at them under a magnifying lens it is even better. One other interesting point is that you need to own them to really get all the details. Even if I have lurked numerous times in AD I truly only get to know it now. I appreciate the fact no ones notices it and they are hard to spot in the wild. The few times I did it ended with a nice conversation with another watch enthusiast (only true outside Japan where I guess they are bought as part of strong national pride).

I actually have been waiting for one so long that I actually bought an original clasp 15 years ago !(before I could actually afford a complete one )

It will soon be fitted...
Old 1 September 2020, 05:31 PM   #103
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
In my humble opinion I feel that Grand Seikos are like Lexus while Rolex are like Mercedez and Pateks are like Rolls Royce.
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:41 AM   #104
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnbne View Post
My perception of grand seiko owners is theyre sensible buyers who value quality above all
My guess is more gs owners are WIS than rolex owners - percentage wise

I would have to agree 100% and it seems to be true worldwide.

In Japan obviously « made in Japan » plays another role in buying decisions so it is a bit different there.
Old 6 September 2020, 05:56 AM   #105
THE_FOOT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tiffany OP 41mm
I have a GS sbga413 and a quartz SBGP015G both are stunning watches that knock my rolex watches into a cocked hat quality wise, I like the fact they fly completely under the radar when being worn out. The 413 dial is particularly stunning.
THE_FOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:58 AM   #106
berg_burg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Why oh why does this have to be a US only release??

I tried this at the WoS GS pop up in NYC... The thing is beautiful. As is the pink snowflake.

GS really has a lot going for them, but I think it will always be a WIS brand. Whether we like it or not, there are a lot of watch buyers that buy in large part with consideration for the name on the dial, and GS doesn't have that same cachet among the general public as Rolex does at the moment. Fine by me, I am happy that it's reasonably straightforward to get non-LE GS watches.
berg_burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:19 AM   #107
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swink6112 View Post
In my humble opinion I feel that Grand Seikos are like Lexus while Rolex are like Mercedez and Pateks are like Rolls Royce.
I can get behind this.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 01:14 AM   #108
Journeyforce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116000
I have had 4 of them last year and early this year. A SBGX261, SBGN009, Snowflake and SBGV239. All of them are gone.

I love the looks of GS and the attention to detail that the GS craftsman give the watches.

However none of them fit comfortably on me thanks to the lack of the micro-adjustment. No matter how I moved the half links and full links around
Lack of a micro-adjustment on the non divers is a glaring miss-step. GS claims that a micro-adjustment clasp would make the clasp bigger. I doubt most GS owners would be made about a larger clasp if they gained a micro-adjustment hole or 2.

Seiko makes the Astron in the same factory as the GS quartz and Spring Drive watches. The Astron has a hidden micro-adjustment that is adjustable on the fly with no tools needed. GS could have gone down the hall and grabbed one to check the bracelet out
Journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 04:46 AM   #109
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyforce View Post
I have had 4 of them last year and early this year. A SBGX261, SBGN009, Snowflake and SBGV239. All of them are gone.

I love the looks of GS and the attention to detail that the GS craftsman give the watches.

However none of them fit comfortably on me thanks to the lack of the micro-adjustment. No matter how I moved the half links and full links around
Lack of a micro-adjustment on the non divers is a glaring miss-step. GS claims that a micro-adjustment clasp would make the clasp bigger. I doubt most GS owners would be made about a larger clasp if they gained a micro-adjustment hole or 2.

Seiko makes the Astron in the same factory as the GS quartz and Spring Drive watches. The Astron has a hidden micro-adjustment that is adjustable on the fly with no tools needed. GS could have gone down the hall and grabbed one to check the bracelet out
You aren’t wrong. Bracelet and clasp (especially) appear to be an afterthought
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 05:42 AM   #110
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
You aren’t wrong. Bracelet and clasp (especially) appear to be an afterthought

I don’t think bracelet and clasp are an afterthought. Afterthoughts don’t exist in the Japanese industrial culture.

There might be a reason we don’t get, but I am quite sure there is one.

I guess micro adjustment clasps are a thing now, my 16710 doesn’t have one and never missed it. My SD4k has one I have never used. My GS doesn’t as well and it’s fine. I guess it a matter of personal taste in the end as always.
Old 8 October 2020, 05:50 AM   #111
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoil4ever View Post
I don’t think bracelet and clasp are an afterthought. Afterthoughts don’t exist in the Japanese industrial culture.

I guess micro adjustment clasps are a thing now, my 16710 doesn’t have one and never missed it. My SD4k has one I have never used. My GS doesn’t as well and it’s fine. I guess it a matter of personal taste in the end as always.
Which 16710 bracelet doesnt have microadjustment?
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 09:17 AM   #112
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
It's much more adjustable than my GSs, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 02:42 PM   #113
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post

It doesn’t have “on the fly” adjustment.
Old 9 October 2020, 01:37 AM   #114
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And yet micro adjustments don’t exist on most GS models. Chalk it up to a cultural disconnect or corporate tone-deafness.

Regardless — I am a huge GS advocate and defender. And I have quite a few examples in my collection. Maybe their reluctance to change is endearing. But I’ve found ways to work around it.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 01:58 PM   #115
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It doesn’t have “on the fly” adjustment.
A ballpoint pen is all you need for it. Its close enough to on the fly as you can get.
Old 10 October 2020, 01:58 PM   #116
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It's much more adjustable than my GSs, fwiw.
Yep, my SBGJ203 bracelet is always between two sizes, and anyone who has adjusted these bracelets knows the screws are a pain.
Old 10 October 2020, 02:15 PM   #117
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Too many date complications.

Thick cases.

Mediocre bracelets.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 09:15 PM   #118
cigamodnalro
"TRF" Member

I have a Snowflake, incredible watch with finishing and dial off-the-charts at the price point. As much as is made of the case size, dimensionally it is strikingly similar to that of modern Rolex sports watches. The small bezel and accordingly larger face make it wear large IMO. The case is very comfortable, but I still feel like the Snowflake is pushing it a bit on my 16cm wrist, unlike my similarly sized BLNR.
cigamodnalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 11:06 PM   #119
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigamodnalro View Post
I have a Snowflake, incredible watch with finishing and dial off-the-charts at the price point. As much as is made of the case size, dimensionally it is strikingly similar to that of modern Rolex sports watches. The small bezel and accordingly larger face make it wear large IMO. The case is very comfortable, but I still feel like the Snowflake is pushing it a bit on my 16cm wrist, unlike my similarly sized BLNR.
If they could put more effort into comfortable bracelets and thinner cases with their all new thinner movements they’d have a winning combo. GS is still using Maxicase design trends of the 2010’s and really should adapt to the more elegant slim minimal design trend of 2020. I fear they are going to lag behind in design and be the G Shock of luxury watches
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 12:33 AM   #120
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

Used to own a SBGR253, great looking top down but case thickness is too thick and not proportionate. Same goes for other pieces. Maybe tempted by the SBGW231 but strong completion from other brands in this price sector.

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote