The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 March 2020, 01:46 AM   #61
*M5
"TRF" Member

A lot of very good points on here and I love to hear opinions, stories and other feedback when dealing with the ADs.

For those that keep on suggesting to go grey or used, please keep in mind that I am from Canada and that market is physically NON-EXISTENT and the few stores that are in business are seriously eating your lunch money for the next 3 years, if you are to buy from them.

Small gifts and visits are what I thought was a way of showing that I am local, distinguishing myself and creating a relationship with and AD that would last. That is truly my intention as I do want to purchase other watches and perhaps jewellery for my wife, yet all the ADs that have been in my range have turned out to be entirely dismissive or some politely so.

** Also keep in mind that I have purchase history with all of these ADs: diamond rings, other watches etc.

The overall feedback however is one of negativity, uncertainty and lies. That is what is bothersome. Not the watch that I can't get cause at the end of the day as many have mentioned, I too feel that these are non-necessities.

In the meanwhile, Dusko.Popov and AK797's comments made me smile, a lot :)))))
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 03:56 AM   #62
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Those who forget their history are destined to repeat it. Daytonas and subs all SS models were easily available in 2008-2014. Can’t last my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been buying Rolex since early 2000s. Steel Daytona’s certainly weren’t sitting around ADs here 2008-14 as you say, although granted availability was easier.

I still stand by my opinion that we will NOT see Steel Daytona’s, Pepsi’s etc in Windows (not this side of the world for sure)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 04:07 AM   #63
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Rolex is trying to stop popular models going to flippers. Not all AD/SA’s are tactful about it.
Well that is not working too well with the abundant supply of used popular models for sale online.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 04:16 AM   #64
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Most AD's field so many questions a day regarding SS models and of that lot a majority of them have terrible customer service. I purchase all of my watches from one AD (in and around Phila), but when looking for a SS No date Sub I canvased the entire area. Since Thanksgiving I put in the face time whenever I was passing by a Rolex AD. Sure enough an AD of which I had no prior history called me up and I took delivery of my 114060 the next day. I found many of them would rather sell to a new customer which may bring in more business.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 04:33 AM   #65
*M5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles4133 View Post
Most AD's field so many questions a day regarding SS models and of that lot a majority of them have terrible customer service. I purchase all of my watches from one AD (in and around Phila), but when looking for a SS No date Sub I canvased the entire area. Since Thanksgiving I put in the face time whenever I was passing by a Rolex AD. Sure enough an AD of which I had no prior history called me up and I took delivery of my 114060 the next day. I found many of them would rather sell to a new customer which may bring in more business.

Oh no.....First I try to build a relationship, now I have to be a new custy :(

Might have to move to another city in order to get a watch.

Just kidding, I do see your point

Courting these ADs and SAs feels like a straight male trying to impress girls that are into girls. None of them take you seriously and in the end, they can't really give you what you want.
Old 11 March 2020, 04:34 AM   #66
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
For sports steel models to be readily available at ADs once again for the average Joe, worldwide demand would have to plummet, far more than the stock market of late.

Is the SARS-CoV-2 strong enough to significantly halt the economy, cause job losses and as a result provoke a downfall of the demand for mid-tier Rolex watches such as sports steel? I really hope not, even if it means ADs will carry on refusing to sell me anything I want.

My next purchase will most probably come from a trusted grey seller.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 05:06 AM   #67
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I’ve been buying Rolex since early 2000s. Steel Daytona’s certainly weren’t sitting around ADs here 2008-14 as you say, although granted availability was easier.

I still stand by my opinion that we will NOT see Steel Daytona’s, Pepsi’s etc in Windows (not this side of the world for sure)

I don’t disagree about the window part, but when I got my 116520 in June 2014, it was in the safe at the store. I called and was told they had one sitting in the safe. I bought at retail at 12,250 and they were going for 8500-10500 on the secondary market. Some of this is slight of hand by creating the illusion of demand. I’m not saying it will go to the mid 90’s here, when I recall seeing gmt and subs all over lol.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 05:13 AM   #68
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
With respect, 2008 had major underlying financial issues. 2020 has a virus which will be merely a hiccup long term, don’t depend on availability of your favorite watches to change much.

We will see. There were some warning signs for a while, manufacturing has been slowing, Asian markets slowing, increasing personal and commercial debt, wages still stagnant, etc all before corona. Credit markets are showing some issues and with the oil situation this can turn into something more. I think this corona is just one domino here.

if this keep up, do you think companies are not going to offset these losses by cutting jobs? I mean there has been a hiring binge on for 10 years now and boards will put pressure on companies to cut costs, if the jobs cuts come, then consumer demand will see a hit.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 05:45 AM   #69
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
It is tough when you have your heart set on one of the hot SS models. I feel lucky that I was able to pick up a Z-Blue Milgauss with a 2.5 month wait (first watch). This is not necessarily a “hot” model but does not seem to be produced in high volumes either. I received their first delivery of the year...

One thing I observed in my local market with 6 ADs, one being a boutique, was that the boutique was the only one willing to take a deposit AND provide a ETA. No other would provide and ETA even when they said I would be the first on their “waitlist”. One even wanted me to pay the full price to put my name on their list with no guarantee that I would receive it any time soon.

Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 06:43 AM   #70
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

It’s easier said than done up here in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
They’re just watches. Noting to get too worked up over. Enjoy what you have and if you really want one... go gray. Life is too short to worry about Rolex inventory.

Our grey market dealers are over 50% more expensive watch for watch than American grey dealers. It’s ridiculous. And in most cases it’s way too much money for a stainless piece.
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 07:20 AM   #71
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
. . . I expect they did dismiss you. You probably looked like a flipper to them....
What does a flipper look like?

edit: And no dolphin jokes!
Old 11 March 2020, 08:08 AM   #72
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post

Damn! I was going for that graphic.

What I mean is that if you walk into an AD and ask about some hot models (plural), and they don't know you, they may assume you are a watch speculator. That's no reason for them to be rude, but when they get these enquiries, multiple times a day, they can get tired of it.

It doesn't mean you are a flipper (no dolphin).

Last year I was in Nicosia and thought I'd try a local AD while travelling abroad. "Very difficult, no steel watches, sorry, you go now, bye. Cue security guard opening door and gesturing for me to walk through it. I thought it was hilarious. I wasn't expecting to score, neither was I anticipating being shown the door about a minute after saying "Hello. I through I'd pop in to enquire about a SS Sky Dweller......" I expect they have a revolving door by now. They sure wouldn't need any training on how to operate it. In fairness to them, they probably get many like me a day. Possibly many an hour in peak tourist season.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 08:22 AM   #73
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
I guess it's tough for them to have to keep lying and pretending and tough for people like myself that can see through the b******t.
Back in 2018, I was looking for a BLNR. I was mostly ignorant of the hype or the state of market demand. It was just something I thought was pretty, and I buy whatever I like.

I went to the AD. The SA told me that per Rolex company policy, he couldn't sell me certain models because Rolex only makes them available to people with a prior history of buying other Rolex watches. He essentially said it was per decree from Rolex. I didn't know any better at the time, so I thanked him for the info, and left it at that. That was funny, because subsequently, after being a member on TRF for a while, I realized he was full of .
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 08:23 AM   #74
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post

(And also in response to my previous post)

I guess it didn't help that I was wearing this shirt.

Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 08:51 AM   #75
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
We will see. There were some warning signs for a while, manufacturing has been slowing, Asian markets slowing, increasing personal and commercial debt, wages still stagnant, etc all before corona. Credit markets are showing some issues and with the oil situation this can turn into something more. I think this corona is just one domino here.

if this keep up, do you think companies are not going to offset these losses by cutting jobs? I mean there has been a hiring binge on for 10 years now and boards will put pressure on companies to cut costs, if the jobs cuts come, then consumer demand will see a hit.

I do not totally disagree with you, it’s definitely getting weird. I hope for the best as I’m retired and don’t have a lot of time for my portfolio to build back up.
Old 11 March 2020, 12:11 PM   #76
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Try a small town private AD, may have more luck with that. The big ADs move stocks around between outlets to their ‘VIP’s

I tried to develop a relationship with a Midwestern smaller city independent AD. They have a good size Rolex section and are always busy on the weekend. They are the ones who told me they get two Daytonas a year. [Ya, right.] SA basically told me they give hot watches to big customers and don't go by lists. He did offer me a Tudor GMT four months after they came out. I declined. Waiting for Rolex Pepsi. I want to give it to my dad--but I'm thinking that will never happen.

I have begun to think that trying to court an independent may be the wrong way to go. An independent is one store, maybe not as much pull with Rolex USA for hot watches. And less watches overall. A large chain store has more buyers, but also gets more watches and can move watches to different stores. With a ton of hot watches, it just takes one sales manager to agree to divert one watch to a customer they may like.

I read these posts about someone picking up a hot SS watch, or multiple over months, with no purchase history. I don't know who these ADs are but I haven't found one.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 01:39 PM   #77
*M5
"TRF" Member

'I read these posts about someone picking up a hot SS watch, or multiple over months, with no purchase history. I don't know who these ADs are but I haven't found one.'

Same here and I am courting small and larger ADs alike.
Old 11 March 2020, 02:50 PM   #78
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I went to numerous ADs in several states in my quest for my Sub. I would’ve had a better chance of an old billionaire woman stopping me on the street, putting me in her will, and dying 2 hours later, than getting anything at them. I went to 2 different local ADs over the span of almost a year. Was put on “the list” and told the usual. The third AD I tried was a bit further away, but I figured, WTF? I had a nice chat, tried on a couple different models, Tudor, Breitling and a couple Rolex, but the sub was “the one.” About 3 months later, the third AD calls me and says he has something I might be interested in. Funny enough, a month later, one of the other ADs calls me and offers me a sub too. Had a momentary thought of buying and flipping, but that’s not what I’m here for. I’d rather keep that relationship for another piece later, than dump it for some easy money now. That’s just me though.