The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 September 2020, 09:46 PM   #61
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes these child like names are now used by many that are to lazy to learn the correct reference numbers for Rolex watches.
There’s probably some truth to this. It’s difficult for me to memorize all the numbers and much easier for me to say hulk or Batman. I disagree with you that they’re childish. But I think you’re onto something that they are based on a type of laziness (for someone like me I mean)

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 09:56 PM   #62
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
So I’m torn about posting these as I think they’re probably borderline too harsh. I think they’re a tiny bit funny but mostly mean. Sorry in advance, but I’m someone who immediately hated the cartoon/comics nicknames when they surfaced (and still do). Silly or not, the champagne bottle broke when it was christened. You don’t get another swing at it. Anyhow, again sorry:

“For those who are overly sensitive about your watch being called Batgirl, maybe you’ve bought the right watch...

That cloth isn’t for polishing... it’s meant for when you want to have a good cry.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2020, 10:00 PM   #63
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
So I’m torn about posting these as I think they’re probably borderline too harsh. I think they’re a tiny bit funny but mostly mean. Sorry in advance, but I’m someone who immediately hated the cartoon/comics nicknames when they surfaced (and still do). Silly or not, the champagne bottle broke when it was christened. You don’t get another swing at it. Anyhow, again sorry:

“For those who are overly sensitive about your watch being called Batgirl, maybe you’ve bought the right watch...

That cloth isn’t for polishing... it’s meant for when you want to have a good cry.”

Brother, I don’t think anyone has done as good a job as you of proving my exact point I’ve been trying to make this entire thread and other threads on the subject. It’s nothing but an insult enjoyed by those using it. Well done sir.

I rest my case

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #64
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Personally think the choice of which nickname used gives a clear insight into the possible forum sexists...

It was Batman before it’s Batman now.. although BLNR is more appropriate.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:19 PM   #65
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Brother, I don’t think anyone has done as good a job as you of proving my exact point I’ve been trying to make this entire thread and other threads on the subject. It’s nothing but an insult enjoyed by those using it. Well done sir.

I rest my case

I never gave much thought to the name or used it as an insult until this thread. The reason I commented (trolled?) is because this thread is ridiculous.

Men insult each other, laugh and clap each other on the back, then go about their business (even on forums). It’s how a lot of men bond. Hopefully you don’t always take it the wrong way and have some buddies with whom you can participate in such antics.

Old 25 September 2020, 10:19 PM   #66
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_01 View Post
Personally think the choice of which nickname used gives a clear insight into the possible forum sexists...
I genuinely don't get that ^

I thought the tease was about men wearing feminine things, women have not been mentioned at all and certainly not in a derogatory way.

What did I miss?
Old 25 September 2020, 10:22 PM   #67
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Batman vs Batgirl

Quote:

It was Batman before it’s Batman now.. although BLNR is more appropriate.

“What’s wrong with being sexy?”, Nigel Tufnel - Spinal Tap

Other famous GMTs...

“Pussy Galore”
“Sophia Loren/Fat Lady”

Old 25 September 2020, 10:23 PM   #68
David001
Banned

Quote:
I never gave much thought to the name or used it as an insult until this thread. The reason I commented (trolled?) is because this thread is ridiculous.

Men insult each other, laugh and clap each other on the back, then go about their business (even on forums). It’s how a lot of men bond. Hopefully you don’t always take it the wrong way and have some buddies with whom you can participate in such antics.

Yeah exactly that - a guy turns up to meet his buddies in sparkly new sneakers, you accuse him of wearing his wifes underwear as well to match his new sparkly running shoes, everyone laughs and we go about our business with our egos intact.

How did it get so serious?
Old 25 September 2020, 10:24 PM   #69
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
What a ridiculous thread.
Well especially over the past 5 years or so its the ridiculous threads that gets the most attention, perhaps now we have more ridiculous thread reading members.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 25 September 2020, 10:25 PM   #70
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
Yeah exactly that - a guy turns up to meet his buddies in sparkly new sneakers, you accuse him of wearing his wifes underwear as well to match his new sparkly running shoes, everyone laughs and we go about our business with our egos intact.

How did it get so serious?
Totally different scenario. I would laugh at the guys sneakers also especially if he was a friend. This is an ongoing attack on a particular reference that many members here enjoy. That’s all. Completely different then a situation of levity between buddies.

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 10:34 PM   #71
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

It's all kind of silly. I don't know why people are insulted by trolls who call it Batgirl. They can't get one or can't afford one of feel like it is a threat to the old Batman that they bought because of the superior movement in the new one.

It's a shortcut name for people who don't know the reference numbers or the different movements etc. or it's just a plain shortcut for people who do. I like wearing my Batgirl/Batman 2.0 or whatever. I don't care if someone calls it Batgirl. What man doesn't want a sexy girl on his arm, BTW? LOL

If anyone thinks that a Jubilee looks feminine on them, they need to go out and buy some weights or learn how to become more alpha overall. You wear the watch, clothes etc. They shouldn't wear you.

The Jubilee is more dressy. A GMT is not a "sports" watch. What sport is it for LOL?. It is for travelers and businessmen that do business across different time zones. These men often wear suits or other business attire ( or pilots who wear a uniform suit).

The polished center links on the first Batman should have made all of this obvious. It's why my steel sub has brushed center links. The Sub IS a sports watch as well as a tool. The GMT is a tool for professionally dressed men ( which is not to say that it doesn't look great if you wear a t-shirt and shorts or workout gear-it does- some who are billionaires don't ever dress up- I'm just emphasizing what it was designed for, per Rolex)
Old 25 September 2020, 10:38 PM   #72
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
It should be Batwoman.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:41 PM   #73
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
A Batman on a gray suede or rubber strap would be pretty sweet.

Looks like someone beat me to it.

https://images.app.goo.gl/rXrWuLFp7wDmeSU36
Old 25 September 2020, 10:42 PM   #74
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
It's all kind of silly. I don't know why people are insulted by trolls who call it Batgirl. They can't get one or can't afford one of feel like it is a threat to the old Batman that they bought because of the superior movement in the new one.

It's a shortcut name for people who don't know the reference numbers or the different movements etc. or it's just a plain shortcut for people who do. I like wearing my Batgirl/Batman 2.0 or whatever. I don't care if someone calls it Batgirl. What man doesn't want a sexy girl on his arm, BTW? LOL

If anyone thinks that a Jubilee looks feminine on them, they need to go out and buy some weights or learn how to become more alpha overall. You wear the watch, clothes etc. They shouldn't wear you.

The Jubilee is more dressy. A GMT is not a "sports" watch. What sport is it for LOL?. It is for travelers and businessmen that do business across different time zones. These men often wear suits or other business attire ( or pilots who wear a uniform suit).

The polished center links on the first Batman should have made all of this obvious. It's why my steel sub has brushed center links. The Sub IS a sports watch as well as a tool. The GMT is a tool for professionally dressed men ( which is not to say that it doesn't look great if you wear a t-shirt and shorts or workout gear-it does- some who are billionaires don't ever dress up- I'm just emphasizing what it was designed for, per Rolex)
Well put.

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #75
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
It should be Batwoman.
Batperson
Hope you’re well?
Old 25 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #76
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Batperson
Hope you’re well?
lol. I'm great bud. Hope that you are the same. Lots of construction going on down your way. I cycled past the other day.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:08 AM   #77
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
“What’s wrong with being sexy?”, Nigel Tufnel - Spinal Tap

Other famous GMTs...

“Pussy Galore”
“Sophia Loren/Fat Lady”

I think your reply answers your own question... and couldn’t support my comment more.
Perhaps differing expectations on different continents.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:12 AM   #78
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
I genuinely don't get that ^

I thought the tease was about men wearing feminine things, women have not been mentioned at all and certainly not in a derogatory way.

What did I miss?
The insinuation is obvious from the comments. Playing to outdated stereotypes.
Give it a rest
Old 26 September 2020, 06:30 AM   #79
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The insinuation is obvious from the comments. Playing to outdated stereotypes.
Give it a rest
I have to ask are you genuinely serious or are you just trolling?

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 September 2020, 06:51 AM   #80
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I have to ask are you genuinely serious or are you just trolling?
Probably a bit of both.

There are some members using ‘Batgirl’ in a derogatory manner and that is toxic. With in my mind whether deliberate or not sexist connotations.

Those using it as a joke is something different, that said, they must consider in 2020 how that comes across bearing in mind category 1.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #81
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Probably a bit of both.

There are some members using ‘Batgirl’ in a derogatory manner and that is toxic. With in my mind whether deliberate or not sexist connotations.

Those using it as a joke is something different, that said, they must consider in 2020 how that comes across bearing in mind category 1.
I see where you’re coming from. I don’t particularly care about the 2020 thing because it will always be 1955 for me.

However the people using the term in a derogatory way we’re not intending it to be sexist but just to insult the jubilee bracelet. They are using the term feminine a lot to take jabs at people that like the jubilee bracelet. It really has nothing to do with women.

Instagram - patton250
Old 26 September 2020, 12:30 PM   #82
David001
Banned

Quote:
Probably a bit of both.

It's "toxic"?

Mate, it's a watch strap, get a grip.
Closed Thread