The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 06:17 AM   #1
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

What is a more timeless and versatile configuration of the modern DJ36?

So I've done a ton of thinking, obsessing, etc. and landed on a silver dial, baton indices, 126-generation modern Datejust 36. I'm looking to buy my one-watch collection - call me a romantic but I love the idea of having that one watch worn on my wrist for 30+ years, every day.

Factors in the decision are timelessness, versatility (from suit and tie, sport coat and slacks, shirt and jeans, t-shirt and shorts, to bathingsuit) and ability to serve as a "one-watch-collection". Since COVID-19 became a pandemic I have not been dressing up but in normal times my weekday attire is a navy suit or sport coat (often not completely done up with a tie - I am far from "dapper") and my weekend attire is a blue button down or t-shirt with jeans and sneakers or boots. My style would be best described as classic but basic and understated. I also plan on wearing it of course to vacations - we spend a lot of time in European cities but also in tropical locations/resorts lounging at the pool. I'm not an outdoorsman.

With that in mind, the question now becomes (without price being a consideration), what is more classic, timeless and (probably most importantly) versatile and fitting my lifestyle of a configuration:

1. 126234 (fluted) with jubilee... or
2. 126200 (smooth/domed) with oyster - (I like the jubilee bracelet as well with a smooth bezel, but something about it seems to look off and it doesn't seem to be a classic configuration - but correct me if I'm wrong!)

Please fire away with your suggestions. I've made all the decisions - size, dial, etc. but I'm so stuck on this one. I've looked at a lot of vintage watches and so many of them come in a silver/champagne dial but often in both configurations. I just have no idea and I love them both and it is difficult to pick.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For me, I Iike the look of the fluted / jubilee combo. But either way you can't go wrong with a 36mm DJ I think.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Black dial, fluted, jubliee. I love mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #4
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
I have always thought the smooth bezel and oyster was more "versatile." But then again, I prefer a smooth bezel and an oyster bracelet.

But I must add that I really think the distinction is minor. And, much less important that which watch you like.

My first Rolex was a yellow gold date on yg band. And I wore it everywhere.

My taste changed, and for the past several decades, I have worn a stainless sub everywhere and for every occasion.

Either watch you are considering is a great reference. My advice is buy the one you like.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:29 AM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Fluted tt jubile champagne dial.

My first watch I wore it for around twelve years before I bought another watch, I wore it everywhere it never came off. Went for a service last year and to be honest it really still looked perfect you don’t see any scratches on the jubilee really.

That’s my opinion and mines a 5 digit I can only imagine how much better the 6 digit 36 is.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:31 AM   #6
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
This.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I find the fluted/jubilee combo is just too flashy. I always thought a silver dial, fluted, jubilee 36mm DJ would be perfection, even considered buying one without trying through a trusted seller, but I was at an AD recently and they had one... tried it on. Wow. Did not look good on my wrist. Way too flashy, shiny, not really my style.

For OP, I would say blue OR black dial, smooth, oyster variant would be great. As a 1-and-only, I think black dial is the most versatile.

Try the 36 mm size and make sure you'd be happy with it size-wise. I think it's a great size on bracelet and on strap, lets you change up the look.

I'd also say, throw the Explorer into your mix. Both the 36mm and 39mm versions are amazing. I'd lean towards the 39 as it has a bit more modern proportions and also incorporates a great clasp with EZ link.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #8
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post

My first watch I wore it for around twelve years before I bought another watch, I wore it everywhere it never came off. Went for a service last year and to be honest it really still looked perfect you don’t see any scratches on the jubilee really.

That’s my opinion and mines a 5 digit I can only imagine how much better the 6 digit 36 is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
This.
Gents, appreciate the input but tried to be clear with my wording that what I'm looking for what is the better choice among two options, not what is the best overall.
Old 26 September 2020, 06:37 AM   #9
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I'd vote for a DJ36 Jubilee Fluted Silver Dial

The thing with flashy is, it really isn't. Nobody notices what watch you're wearing as long as it's not yellow gold. Don't overthink it too much.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:57 AM   #10
TTalk
Banned

Tough call, but for an only watch I would go with the fluted/jubilee because for me it dresses up better.

Here's a link to a picture from TRF of a dealer's case full of DJs, quite a few silver dial iterations (click to enlarge it): https://postimg.cc/PPmtbgRm
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:03 AM   #11
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I had a DJ fluted bezel/jubilee for 33 years. You can't go wrong. I also like the smooth bezel/oyster combination.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:04 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Classic is TT champagne jubilee fluted with sticks. Modern classic is SS blue fluted jubilee with sticks. Look at any of the recent forum topics on this, that combination always wins. Even got me to switch from black and I love it, best dial I have ever seen! Plus if it is everyday, I find it dresses down with jeans (blue) and dresses up very well as the dial is dark navy and much of the time looks black. Best of both worlds.
Old 26 September 2020, 07:12 AM   #13
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Fluted/Jubilee
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:12 AM   #14
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
The DJ is as essential to the Rolex line up as any other of their iconic pieces. Can't go wrong.
Old 26 September 2020, 07:25 AM   #15
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
American psycho config.
Joe_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:56 AM   #16
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
Tough call, but for an only watch I would go with the fluted/jubilee because for me it dresses up better.

Here's a link to a picture from TRF of a dealer's case full of DJs, quite a few silver dial iterations (click to enlarge it):
I am surprised by how much I like the look of the jubilee/smooth. I've never liked it much but in those photos it looks excellent.
Old 26 September 2020, 08:02 AM   #17
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Fluted with jubilee. Black, silver and white are the most versatile. The darker colors make the watch appear smaller.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:08 AM   #18
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
I am surprised by how much I like the look of the jubilee/smooth. I've never liked it much but in those photos it looks excellent.
You just added a third option.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:08 AM   #19
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
Fluted with jubilee. Black, silver and white are the most versatile. The darker colors make the watch appear smaller.
Had white, traded in for black because it was too Miami vice/Summer - went to black but it after looked gray and kinda dull, have the blue. I know it is hard to believe but blue is very versatile. Most think it is black until you are right up on it. My second choice would be silver, but I don’t like how the Rolex logo blends into the dial. Also agree the darker the dial looks not as big. But I have the 41 so that balances out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F87FFADA-C0CA-4E5A-B3B0-3CEC5B509AA1.jpeg (119.5 KB, 996 views)
Old 26 September 2020, 08:13 AM   #20
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
OP, I like your approach and in my opinion, you have done a good job narrowing down as the 36mm DJ is a solid 1-watch choice for what you've outlined. That being said, between the two configurations you've narrowed down to, I'd say option 2 is the better option. BUT, dare I recommend an option you didn't mention? You probably already factored this out since you didn't list it but how about the fluted bezel with oyster bracelet? I happen to have that exact configuration and did so intentionally due to similar reasons as yourself (versatility between jeans/tee and a suit/tux...I've worn my DJ in both cases). The oyster has PCLs so still has that dress(ier) feel but not as much as the jubilee which does have more bling/flash due to more pieces/curves for light to reflect off of.

Also, smooth bezels on DJs never looked right to me...like eyebrows being shaved off on someone. It's a minor thing but affects the overall look so much. And I'm a bit of a purist and like the iconic fluted bezel on the DJ.

In case you haven't come across this already, this video is what drew me to the configuration while I was shopping around: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review

OH, another thing...you could always buy a jubilee bracelet separately...it's not cheap but you always have that as an option to swap out once in awhile.

Hope that helps some.
Old 26 September 2020, 08:13 AM   #21
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Did somebody say fluted jubilee?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200908_175608-01 comp.jpg (203.9 KB, 1023 views)
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 08:25 AM   #22
BevoRancher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
126234 is as classic and timeless Rolex as you can get based on your 2 choices. From the 70's through the 90's, the TTDJ was probably their highest volume seller. Based on your travel, activities, and attire considerations the fluted/jubilee fits perfectly. I've had the silver dial, but would go with blue or white now. My 16233 from 1990 still gets wrist time. You'll enjoy it forever either way.
BevoRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:25 AM   #23
woofwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126200
I have the smooth on jubilee silver. Never regretted my choice. Fluted bezel was too flashy for my casual lifestyle. I love the silver dial
woofwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:58 AM   #24
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

I opted for the silver dial flutey jube (previous gen with hidden clasp and chunky lugs, plus the classic Roman railroad track), but would personally opt for my Exp 1 as my “only watch”.

(Sorry for the picture quality, yeesh )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 10:07 AM   #25
g00n
"TRF" Member

Not many for sale lately
g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:27 AM   #26
ABrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
Black dial, fluted, jubliee. I love mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
So clean....This might be my next watch.
ABrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:31 AM   #27
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Smooth, oyster with blue dial might be my next watch. Would go perfect with my BB58

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:44 AM   #28
kearez
"TRF" Member

I honestly think any DJ combo is a classic. I’ve got black, fluted, oyster. Works with suits to sitting by the pool.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 12:47 PM   #29
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
The configuration shown in this watch gecko article is really nice:

https://www.watchgecko.com/the-rolex...nds-on-review/

Those straps look banging on that watch
Old 26 September 2020, 02:01 PM   #30
juve
"TRF" Member

Fluted/Jubilee/Blue