The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2018, 06:52 AM   #1
squirrel211
"TRF" Member

Superocean II 42 or 44 Questions

My brother and I are buying one of these for our dad, for Father's Day. We already lined up the AD who has the stock, and accessories for the day before Father's Day.

My questions are:

- There aren't many of these for sale second hand; is that due to scarcity, or owners' satisfaction levels?

- Are there any issues with ownership? Like anything at all???

- General opinions???

Our dad has had a litany of cheap-ish watches that last about a year, and we really wanted to get him something of which he would be proud, and would last him a lifetime. I'm nervous, and want to make this special for him!!!
squirrel211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:44 PM   #2
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

I owned a SOH42 and loved it for about 2 years. then my tastes changed to more purpose built watch and although stunning, the dress/dive mix of design didnt sing to me anymore. sometimes i regret selling it. definitely recommend the watch- i was just picky. so that was my experience. i had it in black and it looked great with the polishing on the case and bracelet. the onion style crown is a dream as well
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:46 PM   #3
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #4
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel211 View Post
My brother and I are buying one of these for our dad, for Father's Day. We already lined up the AD who has the stock, and accessories for the day before Father's Day.

My questions are:

- There aren't many of these for sale second hand; is that due to scarcity, or owners' satisfaction levels?

- Are there any issues with ownership? Like anything at all???

- General opinions???

Our dad has had a litany of cheap-ish watches that last about a year, and we really wanted to get him something of which he would be proud, and would last him a lifetime. I'm nervous, and want to make this special for him!!!
I'm planning to buy this in a month or two and I have researched enough. Go for Superocearn Heritage II (with new Tudor in-house movement with 70 hrs power reserve. It is one of the few models which actually helped revive the brand back to sanity and so much that ended up using this model's B logo as their main logo all over and removing of wing logo completely from all models.

It is just over 3-4 yrs old and not much in secondary market compared to other Breitling models, I would think. I know many of them who owns one but whoever owns one wants to keep it and not sell it (at least as of yet).

Go for 42mm IMO if your dad's wrist is too big then try the new 44 Chronograph model released in Basel 2018 with Breitling's in-house movement B01( on par with Daytona).
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #5
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowton23 View Post
Anchor and watch appear madly in love and inseparable!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 01:33 AM   #6
squirrel211
"TRF" Member

Jhowton, that's great looking, man!!!
Old 23 May 2018, 01:38 AM   #7
squirrel211
"TRF" Member

Maxy, I surreptitiously got my dad's preferences, and he really seemed to be taken with the blue-faced Superocean II. I'm bringing enough cash for him to choose something else if he so fancies!

He definitely wants a Breitling because a friend of his is fascinated by them, and he specifically does NOT want a chrono. We will probably end up with the 42, even though I think the 44 would probably look better because he's a solid dude; my dad has a 40mm watch right now that in his words "looks fine" on his wrist.