The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
IMG2

Watch: GMT II, TT Sub, DJ
Seamaster Pro 300 Hard Turning Bezel

I recently acquired a Seamaster Pro 300, the pre Bond style with the solid hands and dashes instead of dots on the dial. It is a wonderful watch and my Submariner will get less wrist time because of that. One of the things I'm less than impressed with on the Seamaster is the bezel. It seems that the bezel is difficult to very difficult to turn in comparison to the Submariner, is this normal? Do any of you have both a Seamaster and a Submariner how does turning the bezel compare on your watches. The watch just came back from a complete service before I purchased it so it's got a 2 year warranty if something isn't right.
IMG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I had a similar issue with my Rolex GMT. It was turning very hard. I wanted to put a Pepsi insert on it so I took it to my independent watchmaker to have him do it. He said that the bezel must have gotten "banged" as it was slight askew.
He took it off, changed inserts and remounted it. It worked like new.
I don't have a Sub, just the GMT, but I have two Seamasters. The 3 work very similarly as far as rotation.
Something's wrong with your bezel. Probably a very simple fix.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG2 View Post
I recently acquired a Seamaster Pro 300, the pre Bond style with the solid hands and dashes instead of dots on the dial. It is a wonderful watch and my Submariner will get less wrist time because of that. One of the things I'm less than impressed with on the Seamaster is the bezel. It seems that the bezel is difficult to very difficult to turn in comparison to the Submariner, is this normal? Do any of you have both a Seamaster and a Submariner how does turning the bezel compare on your watches. The watch just came back from a complete service before I purchased it so it's got a 2 year warranty if something isn't right.
I have a 14 year old SMP... it took effort and a good grip to turn the bezel from brand new. I preferred that on my dive trips or when timing something important... less chance of the bezel turning by accident. I will say that after constant usage (for me) over the years that the bezel rotated more freely then to the point it rotated both ways. A recent complete overhaul at Swatch Group Canada fixed that and now it's back to being difficult to rotate.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 03:33 AM   #4
IMG2

I went to a party yesterday wearing my Submariner and as I was looking around when up walks this young guy with a Seamaster, Bond style. After talking watches with him for a bit I told him I just got a Seamaster and I thought the bezel was hard to turn. He asked if I would like to try his watch and I did while handing him my Sub. His bezel was just as difficult to turn. I encouraged him to turn the bezel on the Submariner as he had never played with one before. Once he saw how easy the Sub turns he understood my concern over the Omega. What I'm finding is ther is much more technique involved in turning the Omega versus the Rolex, you need to grip the bezel from above , not the sides.
Old 12 June 2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG2 View Post
I went to a party yesterday wearing my Submariner and as I was looking around when up walks this young guy with a Seamaster, Bond style. After talking watches with him for a bit I told him I just got a Seamaster and I thought the bezel was hard to turn. He asked if I would like to try his watch and I did while handing him my Sub. His bezel was just as difficult to turn. I encouraged him to turn the bezel on the Submariner as he had never played with one before. Once he saw how easy the Sub turns he understood my concern over the Omega. What I'm finding is ther is much more technique involved in turning the Omega versus the Rolex, you need to grip the bezel from above , not the sides.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
Yep you just have to run the bezel differently than expected on a sub. Could be the teeth ridges are a little sharper on the Omega while more rounded on the Rolex. No biggie just a difference.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 11:08 AM   #7
IMG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringkily View Post
Yep you just have to run the bezel differently than expected on a sub. Could be the teeth ridges are a little sharper on the Omega while more rounded on the Rolex. No biggie just a difference.
Either deeper cut teeth or a stonger spring. Thanks for the comments, I like knowing I can come here with what others might consider a stupid question and get honest attempts to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 068 - Copy.jpg (121.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 12 June 2012, 09:56 PM   #8
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
I had similar concerns when I brought home my LNIB 2254 a few months ago. Since then I've become good at the different technique reqired to turn the bezel and enjoy the difference along with the waves, and HE crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10624.JPG (223.0 KB, 130 views)
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 12:30 AM   #9
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I love the bracelet and clasps on theose SMP's

claspnback.jpeg

Omegaprop.jpeg
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Kraftwerck
Banned

Watch: A lot...
If the bezel's hard to turn, try some silicone spray on the bezel. Leave it for a couple of hours then clen it with a soft and dry cloth. This works fine 8 of 10 times.
Kraftwerck is offline   Reply With Quote