The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #1
MSJMJ
"TRF" Member

Tudor being positioned as "budget" brand?

Last weekend I was at the Wynn in Las Vegas and took a look at the Watches of Switzerland store. I noticed that all of the Tudor watches had price placards next to them, but did not see such evident pricing on any of the other watch brands. I didn't look exhaustively, as I meant to go back for a closer look but didn't make it. Similarly, I didn't get photos. It certainly appeared that they were promoting Tudor as a budget brand by prominently displaying the prices. Also, it gave the impression that they were having a hard time moving the Tudor watches. This store carries brands on the high end such as Patek, and on the lower end such as Breitling, but it really seemed like they were pushing the Tudors by displaying the pricing. Is there that little demand for Tudor? Is a price decrease coming?
MSJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

This doesn't directly answer your question, but in discussing Tudor v. Rolex with my AD last week he said they have historically been asked to keep the two brands separate in terms of discussing with new buyers. As of a visit from their Tudor rep (also same week) they have been cleared to now identify Tudor as a Rolex owned brand. My AD believes that is, in fact, due to lower sales and that Rolex wants to up the Tudor brand awareness. If all of that is accurate (I am only repeating what I was told) then my guess is that will not drive the Tudor prices lower, but rather up a tick.

I believe there is some substance to this when you look at model roll out and current availability. Just my .02.

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Tudors sell. If they didn't they would be presented in the case.

And the reason for the inspection of the brand in the first place by Hans Wilsdorf was to provide Rolex quality at a more competitive price.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:38 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its a Rolex sub brand so yeah, budget or value or whatever. They are still great watches though.

Its lexus and toyota IMO. Not necessarily the cars specifically just the brand positioning of one company with two brands.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:54 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I guess that would depend on what your budget is.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Once you start considering a $4000 watch ‘budget’, you need to step out of WIS world for a sec. 90% of ‘regular’ people would consider that absolutely loony It’s not a budget brand, they’re just going after a different market segment.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:18 AM   #7
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Once you start considering a $4000 watch ‘budget’, you need to step out of WIS world for a sec. 90% of ‘regular’ people would consider that absolutely loony It’s not a budget brand, they’re just going after a different market segment.

Testify......... !
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nailed it!
Old 5 May 2018, 06:26 AM   #9
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I do think it might be awkwardly positioned if targeting non-WIS types. The brand probably doesn't have as much recognition or cache on its own compared to a Breitling or Omega, so it's a tough sell convincing an average consumer to buy a Tudor instead of a brand like that.

I don't even know how the Rolex connection will be accepted by an average Joe looking for a nice watch. For average people Rolex is complete brand cache, they want one because it's "Rolex". Saying Tudor is a Rolex sub-brand in this situation probably won't help and I think it could actually hurt. "Oh, so it's a wannabe Rolex. I'd rather get an Omega then." might be the reaction.

I think the Rolex association carries more weight for WIS types that understand the Rolex heritage, reliability, durability, standards, etc. And how a lot of this DNA transfers to Tudor. But for an average Joe that just cares about brand cache when buying a luxury watch, I doubt it will carry much weight.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:34 AM   #10
DPE
"TRF" Member

look at the Tudor watch as a journey to buying up to a Rolex. Sometimes you invest in getting a future group of buyers !
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I've really come around to Tudor lately. I really like their Black Bay Black. Having a GMT II, if I was in the market for a dive watch I would seriously consider BBB or the Pelagos. The sub is too similar to the GMT. I live the variety.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:01 AM   #12
mikeps2006
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeps2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:12 AM   #13
Case61
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:17 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its a budget luxury watch. That is the distinction in my eyes. A fossil isnt a luxury watch but is more affordable.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 07:34 AM   #15
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

Nothing budget about it.... it’s a price point.
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 08:30 AM   #16
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
look at the Tudor watch as a journey to buying up to a Rolex. Sometimes you invest in getting a future group of buyers !
Oh, gosh....NO NO NO. Just buy the Rolex straightaway! It will save you money (which is why the AD would love for you to buy a Tudor on the way to your first Rolex.)
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 08:30 AM   #17
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
look at the Tudor watch as a journey to buying up to a Rolex.
Oops, I did it the wrong way round

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 09:05 AM   #18
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was my immediate first thought when I read the thread title. Thanks.
Old 5 May 2018, 10:01 AM   #19
LINVS
Banned

I don't recall seeing Tudor marketed much in the USA.
LINVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
This thread made me think. I have seen countless Rolex in the wild over the past few decades. Every flavor. I live in a city where they are everywhere.

I honestly don't recall seeing more than a handful of Tudors during that time period. I can't even remember the last time I saw one.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:16 AM   #21
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
rolex is a budget brand compared to richard mille.

it is all relative. perhaps displaying the price just works better for certain watches idk.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:21 AM   #22
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Meh, I was planning on maybe picking up one at the end of the month when I'm in Vegas.

They sell.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:23 AM   #23
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Tudors can be displayed with their prices because the prices are attractive, rather than off-putting. The salesman doesn't need to engage you and lather you up before telling the price, as with some other brands

Here's an ad from a 1950s trade mag, explaining Rolex's original intentions with Tudor to dealers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TUDOR Trade Mag ad, 1954.jpg (134.8 KB, 1286 views)
Old 5 May 2018, 10:25 AM   #24
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Shows you how difficult it is to build a brand. I doubt anybody but WIS have ever heard of the brand.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:30 AM   #25
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Tudors sell. If they didn't they would be presented in the case.

And the reason for the inspection of the brand in the first place by Hans Wilsdorf was to provide Rolex quality at a more competitive price.
dP
Down in Louisiana, they don't sell. I can't speak for all of the south, but my AD -- who has stores thoughout the state and in San Antonio-- cannot move their Tudors.
And as evidenced by their grey market discounts, I think most AD's in the U.S. seem to have them in surplus, and this is despite Tudor's recent push to up their sales in the U.S.

Our European friends can probably weigh in, but believe it's a very different story in Europe.....?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:40 AM   #26
WJGESQ
Banned

Tudors look goofy.

If you can't or won't buy a Rolex, preserve your dignity and go Omega.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:40 AM   #27
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Down in Louisiana, they don't sell. I can't speak for all of the south, but my AD -- who has stores thoughout the state and in San Antonio-- cannot move their Tudors.
And as evidenced by their grey market discounts, I think most AD's in the U.S. seem to have them in surplus, and this is despite Tudor's recent push to up their sales in the U.S.

Our UK friends can probably weigh in, but believe it's a very different story in Europe.....?
I could weigh in, but I’m not U.K. so I guess I can’t.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:42 AM   #28
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Tudors look goofy.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:44 AM   #29
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
This thread made me think. I have seen countless Rolex in the wild over the past few decades. Every flavor. I live in a city where they are everywhere.

I honestly don't recall seeing more than a handful of Tudors during that time period. I can't even remember the last time I saw one.
The most obvious reason for that--might not be one you want you want to hear.

Last edited by WJGESQ; 5 May 2018 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Bigfoot Makes Big Foot Prints.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:53 AM   #30
Kainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Tudors look goofy.

hahaha, if you say so buddy.
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote