The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2018, 11:15 PM   #61
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
IMO its the same misconception with IWC and it drives me nuts. They have a wide range of products and price points yet the perception is lower end because of the entry level pieces.

In house movement watches Big Pilot, Portugieser etc are absolutely at Rolex level. Their high complications are way above.

Breitling makes quartz and ETA movement watches along with more complicated in house stuff, so its wrong to classify the entire brand that low even if most of the offerings are not to my taste.
This drives me up the wall with Nomos. Some of their products are equal to or better finished than 10k watches with other brands......and they’ll charge 2000€. They’re a victim of how simply being lower priced, gives the impression they’re not as nice as others. It’s wild how that works ‘Give the consumer a better deal and they’ll think the product is inferior’. I’m getting some of this mentality with people’s impression of Tudor as well. Kind of silly.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:16 PM   #62
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Tudor makes great watches, I just prefer the older models.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:20 PM   #63
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
This drives me up the wall with Nomos. Some of their products are equal to or better finished than 10k watches with other brands......and they’ll charge 2000€. They’re a victim of how simply being lower priced, gives the impression they’re not as nice as others. It’s wild how that works ‘Give the consumer a better deal and they’ll think the product is inferior’.
yeah. Im a big nomos fan. A little more dressy than what i usually wear but they make really great watches. It will be my dress watch if i get one. Im not paying 10k + for a dress watch when i dont dress up that often.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:20 PM   #64
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
It’s the “I just hit a straight flush” as compared to Rolex’s “I just hit a royal flush”

I like Tudor a lot. Just think for someone looking to get into the luxury watch world it is a great way in. Sat on C24 on the computer with an aspiring WIS friend a couple weeks ago. He likes the Sub and the DSSD and the Yachtmaster. Then I showed him the new Tudor GMT and he said he had to have it. Don’t know why, just know that he did not see the value in paying twice as much for a sub any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:23 PM   #65
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This drives me up the wall with Nomos. Some of their products are equal to or better finished than 10k watches with other brands......and they’ll charge 2000€. They’re a victim of how simply being lower priced, gives the impression they’re not as nice as others. It’s wild how that works ‘Give the consumer a better deal and they’ll think the product is inferior’. I’m getting some of this mentality with people’s impression of Tudor as well. Kind of silly.

This, exactly. Some of the Basel releases from this year by Nomos are pushing $5000. Maybe now people will notice??? What they are doing with their automatics is nothing short of amazing, but I still love their manual winds.

The manual wind club campus at $1600 is the biggest steal in the watch world.

I told Merlin and the folks over there. 41mm, manual wind, center seconds, dark blue dial with some color in the numbers or handset = Homerun.

Old 5 May 2018, 11:24 PM   #66
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
It’s the “I just hit a straight flush” as compared to Rolex’s “I just hit a royal flush”

I like Tudor a lot. Just think for someone looking to get into the luxury watch world it is a great way in. Sat on C24 on the computer with an aspiring WIS friend a couple weeks ago. He likes the Sub and the DSSD and the Yachtmaster. Then I showed him the new Tudor GMT and he said he had to have it. Don’t know why, just know that he did not see the value in paying twice as much for a sub any longer.

The only thing I think Tudor should change/add is more of a Sub replacement. Sub is 40mm and SS, Pelagos is 42mm and Titanium. A lot of people don’t want to go that big, nor do they want a lighter feeling piece in Titanium. Now, Rolex/Tudor May have done this on purpose, to intentionally differentiate the two. However, I don’t think offering a ‘Tudor Sub’ will really take away from Rolex Sub sales, will just add to Tudor’s.
Old 5 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #67
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only thing I think Tudor should change/add is more of a Sub replacement. Sub is 40mm and SS, Pelagos is 42mm and Titanium. A lot of people don’t want to go that big, nor do they want a lighter feeling piece in Titanium. Now, Rolex/Tudor May have done this on purpose, to intentionally differentiate the two. However, I don’t think offering a ‘Tudor Sub’ will really take away from Rolex Sub sales, will just add to Tudor’s.

BB58 May be as close as we ever get. But I can see Tudor succumbing to the pressure of the customer on a sub.

Old 5 May 2018, 11:27 PM   #68
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
This, exactly. Some of the Basel releases from this year by Nomos are pushing $5000. Maybe now people will notice??? What they are doing with their automatics is nothing short of amazing, but I still love their manual winds.

The manual wind club campus at $1600 is the biggest steal in the watch world.

I told Merlin and the folks over there. 41mm, manual wind, center seconds, dark blue dial with some color in the numbers or handset = Homerun.

I’ve been preaching about their value for some time now. I can find some amazing deals on the classified here in Germany too. If Nomos continues the way they are, I see them on a completely different level in 10-15 years.

And yeah, maybe people will notice now. This watch world is a bit silly now. If Nomos doubled the price of every watch they offer, they’d probably sell more watches.
Old 5 May 2018, 11:30 PM   #69
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
That’s where the new BB58 steps in. Stainless steel in 39mm. I think Tudor feels the Black Bay is their version of the sub, where the Pelagos is their version of the Sea Dweller.

That BB58 might be an absolute home run.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:33 PM   #70
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
That’s where the new BB58 steps in. Stainless steel in 39mm. I think Tudor feels the Black Bay is their version of the sub, where the Pelagos is their version of the Sea Dweller.

Could be! I’m just not a fan of the whole ‘faux patina’ thing, however I think most people really like that piece.
Old 5 May 2018, 11:36 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve been preaching about their value for some time now. I can find some amazing deals on the classified here in Germany too. If Nomos continues the way they are, I see them on a completely different level in 10-15 years.

And yeah, maybe people will notice now. This watch world is a bit silly now. If Nomos doubled the price of every watch they offer, they’d probably sell more watches. :rofl:
this isnt wrong.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #72
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
this isnt wrong.
Quadruple profit in 2019. Double MSRP + Double Sales.

One minute, I’m about to shoot my resume over to Nomos.
Old 5 May 2018, 11:46 PM   #73
josephvman
Banned

Lots of newbies here who think they’re ballers because they bought a BLNR, but it wasn’t that long ago that a stainless Rolex sport watch was under $5k and very much an entry-level Swiss timepiece. Nothing budget about Tudor watches and if you’ve owned other brands at their price point, like Omega or Breitling, you know just how great today’s Tudors are. The Toyota-Lexus anaalogy is a bad one, more like Cayman-911.

Las Vegas isn’t the real world anyway so take anything you see or hear from an AD there with a grain of salt. And you really weren’t in Paris...
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 11:51 PM   #74
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Tudors look goofy.

If you can't or won't buy a Rolex, preserve your dignity and go Omega.

57 years of Goofy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have been in the watch collecting/flipping game for more than 25 years and have probably owned at least 50 Rolex watches during that time frame. I have owned modern Platinum, YG, RG, WG, TT and SS. Rolex is what got me into the game and will probably always be my favorite. Depending on your outlook and watch knowledge Tudor is a great brand and value for the money. In it's own right Tudor makes its way in the watch world. Great value, good wear, good time keeping, sturdy and stylish. I currently own 7 Tudors and have the new GMT and TT on order. I can buy any watch I want under 100k and yet I consistently add Tudors. I get a good laugh at some of our newer members who match their lack of knowledge with being very forceful in opinions. Watch collecting for me is personal and not a competition. Other people can like things I don't and I don't need to put people down or judge them based on choices. Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
Tudor is the soul crushing realization to other Brands that Rolex is king of the ring!

Their newest GMT at 3.9k is still puzzling to me, I'd say it's worth more than they are asking and they are just maintaining the price to pull busniss from other brands.

Tudor is a luxury watch at a very good price, it's no compromise.
Every time I have been close to buying something new, it just does not hold the appeal to me of a vintage. The BB GMT might be the first
Old 5 May 2018, 11:54 PM   #75
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
Tudor is the soul crushing realization to other Brands that Rolex is king of the ring!

Their newest GMT at 3.9k is still puzzling to me, I'd say it's worth more than they are asking and they are just maintaining the price to pull busniss from other brands.

Tudor is a luxury watch at a very good price, it's no compromise.
I agree with you and I can't wait to get one, but to be fair a lot of people also think that the new GMT Pepsi from Rolex is also priced very aggressively.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:20 AM   #76
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I don't think a $4k watch is "budget," but it seems that Rolex clearly does. I've had a hard time understanding the positioning of Tudor: They're priced to compete with Omega, but don't have 1% of Omega's brand recognition, and Rolex seemingly isn't interested in taking steps to increase the brand's recognition to the wider world - sports/culture sponsorships, etc. I'm not counting Beckham/Gaga as neither is a brand ambassador the way Roger Federer or James Bond are. Beckham/Gaga serve more as models for Tudor's website and in-store promotional materials. They're not out in the real or fictional world winning trophies or saving the world with their watch on their wrist.

In the end, I think Rolex is content to position Tudor as a "budget" brand for WIS. Maybe there are enough of us out there to sustain the brand and that strategy long-term? I would doubt it, but none of us know Tudor's financials.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:32 AM   #77
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Tudors look goofy.

You don't seem too concerned with yours.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:39 AM   #78
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tudors look goofy.

Just made another post that I will get my Rolex gmt Pepsi this month
Together with my Tudor gmt Pepsi

What I didn’t tell in my other post is that I look more forward to the Tudor than the Rolex
Ooh and by the way I also got confirmation that I will get my patek 5131P this year.
not the entry level watch

I’ll enjoy my Tudor probably as much as that impossible to get patek
So can you please explain me what is wrong with Tudor and why I should buy an omega ?????
Old 6 May 2018, 12:39 AM   #79
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
I see Tudor as more of a wis brand
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:52 AM   #80
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
So, after all these posts in defense of Tudor, perhaps Rolex watches are egregiously overpriced.
Old 6 May 2018, 12:55 AM   #81
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
So, after all these posts in defense of Tudor, perhaps Rolex watches are egregiously overpriced.
Just coming to that conclusion, Jack?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 01:16 AM   #82
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
No...they are probably under priced.

The stud steel sports Rolex watches are batting in the big leagues along with the Royal Oak and Nautilus.

Tudor is keeping the past alive with throwback designs which gives them the rationale to use old school materials like an aluminum bezel insert. For some people this is the safest way to get the vintage look and play with straps and hipster things...

Thanks
Carlo

Quote:
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #83
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I think it’s reasonable to conclude that 99% of the non WIS buyers want to show their friends their brand new purchase, show off a bit. If that is a Rolex, it’s the tops, but Breitling, Omega, TAG also get lots of oohs and ahhs.

Tudor? What’s that? If it needs an explanation (“its made by Rolex”, “dollar for dollar just as good as any of the top brands”) then it won’t cut it among the uninitiated. Most people want brand recognition. Tudor has a long way to go just to compete with near premium brands.
Old 6 May 2018, 02:20 AM   #84
tmo8320
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 Mark I dial
Quote:
I think it’s reasonable to conclude that 99% of the non WIS buyers want to show their friends their brand new purchase, show off a bit. If that is a Rolex, it’s the tops, but Breitling, Omega, TAG also get lots of oohs and ahhs.

Tudor? What’s that? If it needs an explanation (“its made by Rolex”, “dollar for dollar just as good as any of the top brands”) then it won’t cut it among the uninitiated. Most people want brand recognition. Tudor has a long way to go just to compete with near premium brands.

Exactly,

Eric over on YouTube channel CRM Jewelers is always alluding to (or overtly stating) “That respect you want...you are more likely to get it when you XYZ.”

Yeah, he is selling Rolexes in Miami...and he hits on an important theme. To the non WIS, a Tudor might not be the flashiest on the wrist presence. Are they great watches? HECK YEAH! Do non-watch people “get” them? Hmm...probably not so much.

All the more reason to own our own rationale for putting something on our wrist. Wear what YOU love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tmo8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #85
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post

Im buying one to compliment the 114060
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:43 AM   #86
MinMay
Banned

It's expected in all hobbies...there will always be some loyal camp on one side hating another camp. Who cares....enjoy life. Gotta respect their taste....

Buy what makes you happy.

I've seen in the Ferarri, Lambo, and Porsche hobbies....bashing each other. I have a love for beautiful things in life...doesn't matter the brand or type...I love all watches.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:50 AM   #87
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Im buying one to compliment the 114060
How do you think a BB58 might compliment your 114060?

"I think your shiny ceramic bezel is beautiful, I hope I get one someday."

Agreed. I think the BB58 will go with your 114060 quite well. Its like getting a vintage Sub for a better price with a better movement and without the care required for a 50+ year old watch.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #88
DylanFox
Banned

I’m surprised Tudor doesn’t have its own Sub forum
DylanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 03:04 AM   #89
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Tudors look goofy.

Wow!,,,
what a very silly comment,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:40 AM   #90
DPE
"TRF" Member

Tudor is a good quality watch at a good price. There is no catch, I think we can over think a Brand. I will add one to my watch list and do not think it is a cheaper version of any other Watch. ?
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote