The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2020, 12:43 AM   #1
maecenas
"TRF" Member

Yacht-master 42 - forgot I asked means surprise!

I think this is probably the first "new watch" thread I've posted in a long time, and probably the first one here on the Rolex subforum, but the lack of real world content about this watch pushed me to do it!

So it's been a weird watch year. My wife feels like I'm on a record breaking pace, and yet I've only taken delivery of 1 simple Reverso, all year. Everything else is inquiries, promises, and talk. Maybe so much that I've forgotten I'll the things I've expressed interest in

At any rate, I got a call- and it's my local Rolex dealer saying they have the Yacht-master 42 in if I'm interested. Took me a second to mentally think of the watch, "the white gold one?". I remember saying something last year when it was announced, and then again one day when I was in there flipping through the catalogue... just a gentle, "I'd like to see that in person one day" type comment.

At first my response was, "eh, there's a lot going on right now, probably not". Then I got off the phone and immediately looked up some articles- instantly I felt like an idiot. I remembered right away why I had asked for it- it looks incredible! So I quickly called back (like 3 min later) and told him I was back on board, at least to see it in person.

It's hard right now- the mall is basically closed. So they have one day a week they're allowed to schedule 1-on-1 meetings. It's crazy. So I had to wait a few days to get in to see it. I'll cut to the chase because we know how this story goes.

So why do I like this? Frankly, it's clean, simple, and special. Some reviews talk about it making a certain "statement"- that's not really my goal. However, I'm at the point now in my collection that I have plenty of choices of what to wear, and so I like these pieces that seem unassuming, but I know are really pretty special. And maybe I'm getting addicted to the weight of PM!

I loved the oysterflex/yacht-master idea from when the Everose was release, but when I finally tried that on, it just wasn't for me. This scheme definitely IS for me, however, so I'm glad that it finally came together.

One last shout-out to Devon's Jewelry in Stockton/Roseville, who is really dedicated to act as a Rolex AD should. They're focused on building their local clientele, they actually DO keep a list (I've seen the book), and even if it takes a while, they work hard to make things happen for the local people who come in regularly (like my friend's sub that he got last year). Great people all around, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ym42.jpg (163.9 KB, 558 views)
maecenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 02:04 AM   #2
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Similar story here. I asked, got no-where but 12 months later the AD called, did I still want a 42 Yachtmaster? So now I wear one, and am delighted. This will always be a bit of a ‘niche’ watch I think. Which is fine by me; I enjoy it every time I look at my wrist.
Only time I’ve ever got ‘ the call.’ Doubt it will happen again.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 02:12 AM   #3
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Congrats! I do like that bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 03:27 AM   #4
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Absolutely adore that watch, just wish it was available on a bracelet - it would be my #1 choice in the current Rolex lineup.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 03:38 AM   #5
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats. I was lucky to see one a couple weeks ago. I really like the WG and 42 size. It’s a wonderful watch. Great pickup!

antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 04:34 AM   #6
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Congrats. I’ve yet to see one but it looks great on you!

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 02:52 PM   #7
LDN
"TRF" Member

It’s a unique piece but 30k plus watch on rubber is not my cup
Of tea. Congrats however!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 03:19 PM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN View Post
It’s a unique piece but 30k plus watch on rubber is not my cup
Of tea. Congrats however!

No problem, just replace the rubber inserts with 12 gold links for $10k more and it might be your cup.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 03:40 PM   #9
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, a good fit for your wrist and a great story.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singslinger View Post
beautiful watch, a good fit for your wrist and a great story.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
+1
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 07:37 PM   #11
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I get puzzled by some of the comments about price. Rolex don’t make gold models, with bracelet, for a similar price. That’s not an option. You pay a lot more. Whether that’s what you want .....
Old 24 August 2020, 07:46 PM   #12
MHB
"TRF" Member

Watch: VTNR, 214270, FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Absolutely adore that watch, just wish it was available on a bracelet - it would be my #1 choice in the current Rolex lineup.
I wonder if you can get an oyster get bracelet on it. All steel watch + black matte bezel might look

Though I guess the WG and steel would be different hues.
MHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Congrats, love that reference, also having a large wrist 42 would be a good size for me, problem is I can’t afford one.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 08:15 PM   #14
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

I've been looking to purchase one for myself. Unfortunately no AD in my area has one to try on. Compared to other Rolex models that you have, how does it compare? The only Rolex I certainly have is the SD43, which I really like.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 08:26 PM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 09:15 PM   #16
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Such a nice piece - wish it was available on an Oyster bracelet... although then would be even more $$$$$$$$
Old 24 August 2020, 11:13 PM   #17
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
I've been looking to purchase one for myself. Unfortunately no AD in my area has one to try on. Compared to other Rolex models that you have, how does it compare? The only Rolex I certainly have is the SD43, which I really like.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I’ve had the sd43, in fact it was the last watch before my Yachtmaster 42. In pictures they can look similar, but they don’t feel similar. The 42 is, obviously, a bit smaller but it is also quite a bit thinner (about 12mm) so it feels less bulky and ‘obvious.’ It is also more elegant and, to me, a better looking watch.
If the SD43 is ok on your wrist, the Yachtmaster should be ideal. I don’t think you would be disappointed. And the dial is clearer too.
Highly subjective, and it costs more than double, but it feels a nicer watch. All this assumes you like the Oysterflex, of course.
Old 24 August 2020, 11:25 PM   #18
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Very nice watch, enjoy!
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2020, 11:41 PM   #19
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by maecenas View Post
I think this is probably the first "new watch" thread I've posted in a long time, and probably the first one here on the Rolex subforum, but the lack of real world content about this watch pushed me to do it!

So it's been a weird watch year. My wife feels like I'm on a record breaking pace, and yet I've only taken delivery of 1 simple Reverso, all year. Everything else is inquiries, promises, and talk. Maybe so much that I've forgotten I'll the things I've expressed interest in

At any rate, I got a call- and it's my local Rolex dealer saying they have the Yacht-master 42 in if I'm interested. Took me a second to mentally think of the watch, "the white gold one?". I remember saying something last year when it was announced, and then again one day when I was in there flipping through the catalogue... just a gentle, "I'd like to see that in person one day" type comment.

At first my response was, "eh, there's a lot going on right now, probably not". Then I got off the phone and immediately looked up some articles- instantly I felt like an idiot. I remembered right away why I had asked for it- it looks incredible! So I quickly called back (like 3 min later) and told him I was back on board, at least to see it in person.

It's hard right now- the mall is basically closed. So they have one day a week they're allowed to schedule 1-on-1 meetings. It's crazy. So I had to wait a few days to get in to see it. I'll cut to the chase because we know how this story goes.

So why do I like this? Frankly, it's clean, simple, and special. Some reviews talk about it making a certain "statement"- that's not really my goal. However, I'm at the point now in my collection that I have plenty of choices of what to wear, and so I like these pieces that seem unassuming, but I know are really pretty special. And maybe I'm getting addicted to the weight of PM!

I loved the oysterflex/yacht-master idea from when the Everose was release, but when I finally tried that on, it just wasn't for me. This scheme definitely IS for me, however, so I'm glad that it finally came together.

One last shout-out to Devon's Jewelry in Stockton/Roseville, who is really dedicated to act as a Rolex AD should. They're focused on building their local clientele, they actually DO keep a list (I've seen the book), and even if it takes a while, they work hard to make things happen for the local people who come in regularly (like my friend's sub that he got last year). Great people all around, too.

I find this model one of the most special watches Rolex makes.
Glad you got one. Congrats.

Old 24 August 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
maecenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post

For some reason I was unduly worried about the size before I saw it, too. I have lots of 42mm watches, and yet I imagined this would be too big for some reason. My wrist is just about 7”, and yet it fits very well. The lugs swoop very nicely, and even though it measures 12mm high, by all regards it wears much thinner. I’ve already had 3 watch friends see it and say “wow, it’s thin!” I think that means the proportions of width to height are just right.

I’d say it wears very similar to my Daytona, which on one hand is smaller, but on the other hand has the chrono pushers. Definitely more svelte than the sub.
Old 25 August 2020, 12:16 AM   #21
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Very nice !!! enjoy
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 12:58 AM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Could be interesting in steel with a proper bracelet. It's got potential. A shame for the matte ceramic bezel instead of a traditional metal one.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 01:10 AM   #23
maecenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Could be interesting in steel with a proper bracelet. It's got potential. A shame for the matte ceramic bezel instead of a traditional metal one.
A metal bracelet and metal bezel... isn’t that getting pretty close to the rolesium 116622? I think a few people would argue that the bezel is half the fun on this one. I personally like it, though I definitely admit how it will hold up (design/style wise, not physically) over time.

I think there are a lot of people hoping to see a take on this in steel some day. In reading around, a lot of people seem to hope this is testing the waters for a more accessible watch, maybe why they haven’t made too many. Impossible to guess what Rolex has in mind...