The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 25 August 2020, 01:53 AM   #1
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

A rather crictical review of a Rootbeer, does yours have the same issues?

Many reviews just rattle down the specs, show a bunch of beauty shots, maybe some macro shots pointing out dust and fine scratches on the hands, and give the reviewers pesonal opinion on whether this watch should be called a Rootbeer or not....this guy gets a bit more critical.

For those not wanting the spend 10 minutes to watch this, here's the complaints:

1. On the timer it was +4/5 instead of the advertised +/-2 seconds a day.
2. End links make rattling noise
3. Rotor noise louder than expected
4. Alignment issues with the crown on rehaut

I kind of get his point... consider the price, you wouldn't expect any of this.
Does your watch have all or any of these issues?

https://youtu.be/l_jyY6ESZO4?list=WL
Old 25 August 2020, 02:01 AM   #2
sp006
"TRF" Member

Crown alignment on the rehaut is a big one that comes up.

I have had issues in the past with a few of mine but not enough to send to RSC prematurely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 02:04 AM   #3
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Crown alignment on the rehaut is a big one that comes up.

I have had issues in the past with a few of mine but not enough to send to RSC prematurely.

Yeah I just checked my DJ41 and it's even more off than the Rootbeer in the video. My Bluesy is almost spot on, just a tiny bit off.

I guess this is the part where the hand assembly comes into play?
Old 25 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #4
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Just One More Watch, I agree he did a pretty good job and showed quite a few QC issues with Rolex
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #5
sp006
"TRF" Member

For the price, you would expect a little more QC.

I also never understood why it was so hard for them to perfectly align the crown on the crown. Such a simple fix but so satisfying at the same time.

Old 25 August 2020, 02:15 AM   #6
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post
Many reviews just rattle down the specs, show a bunch of beauty shots, maybe some macro shots pointing out dust and fine scratches on the hands, and give the reviewers pesonal opinion on whether this watch should be called a Rootbeer or not....this guy gets a bit more critical.

For those not wanting the spend 10 minutes to watch this, here's the complaints:

1. On the timer it was +4/5 instead of the advertised +/-2 seconds a day.
2. End links make rattling noise
3. Rotor noise louder than expected
4. Alignment issues with the crown on rehaut

I kind of get his point... consider the price, you wouldn't expect any of this.
Does your watch have all or any of these issues?
For starters, where's the link? Which critique are we looking at?

As for the points, it's time to start calling b.s. on the four points that the critic made.

1. The +/- 2 seconds is the average, across varying positions, speed discrepancy. Did he only test one position, or multiple? Also, Rolex does cover that performance under warranty. An authorized dealer should be able to adjust the speed as needed. Mine certainly did.

2. Is this actually an issue?

3. He's hearing the ball-bearings in the upgraded movement. You have to listen closely to hear it, but yes, it's audible. The good thing? It's not harmful to the movement. Many people here (yours truly included) were initially alarmed about this, but our watches have been just fine, and the authorized Rolex watchmakers have given the movements the clear.

4. Of all the 126710BLROs (granted, the Pepsi) that I've seen, the rehaut crown has been displayed by a shockingly consistent discrepancy, leading me to suspect this is actually standard, and could be an anti-counterfeit protection measure. I'm far, far more skeptical of a GMT-Master where the crown on the rehaut is aligned 100% perfectly.

Again, it would be nice to see the link to know the context and details of this guy's criticisms. What you've mentioned, though, does not sound serious with regards to the actual production, design, and robustness of the Rootbeer GMT-Master.
Old 25 August 2020, 02:19 AM   #7
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post

As for the points, it's time to start calling b.s. on the four points that the critic made.

1. The +/- 2 seconds is the average, across varying positions, speed discrepancy. Did he only test one position, or multiple? Also, Rolex does cover that performance under warranty. An authorized dealer should be able to adjust the speed as needed. Mine certainly did.

3. He's hearing the ball-bearings in the upgraded movement. You have to listen closely to hear it, but yes, it's audible. The good thing? It's not harmful to the movement. Many people here (yours truly included) were initially alarmed about this, but our watches have been just fine, and the authorized Rolex watchmakers have given the movements the clear.

4. This is actually standard, and I suspect it's an anti-counterfeit protection measure. Of all the 126710BLROs (granted, the Pepsi) that I've seen, the rehaut crown has been displayed by a shockingly consistent discrepancy.

I'm far, far more skeptical of a GMT-Master where the crown on the rehaut is aligned 100% perfectly.

Again, it would be nice to see the link to know the context and details of this guy's criticisms. What you've mentioned, though, does not sound serious with regards to the actual production, design, and robustness of the Rootbeer GMT-Master.

You truly think misalignment issues are anti-counterfeit measures done on purpose?

C'mon. I'm a big Rolex fan but even I can't stretch it that far.

Old 25 August 2020, 02:20 AM   #8
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Oh woops...here's the link....sorry

I will edit the original post..
Old 25 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #9
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post

4. Of all the 126710BLROs (granted, the Pepsi) that I've seen, the rehaut crown has been displayed by a shockingly consistent discrepancy, leading me to suspect this is actually standard, and could be an anti-counterfeit protection measure. I'm far, far more skeptical of a GMT-Master where the crown on the rehaut is aligned 100% perfectly.

Tell me you aren’t being serious...
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 03:18 AM   #10
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

This is supposed to be my next one. I'll have to pay a bit more attention if/when it arrives. On a related note, my recently acquire SD43 has a squeaky braclet. Not sure it bothers me enough to go for a service though. Hoping it'll "wear in".
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 03:31 AM   #11
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJZS2K View Post
This is supposed to be my next one. I'll have to pay a bit more attention if/when it arrives. On a related note, my recently acquire SD43 has a squeaky braclet. Not sure it bothers me enough to go for a service though. Hoping it'll "wear in".
Service ? I never had a new Rolex without a squeaky bracelet. Advantage of buying new, it will pass and than you miss it. Shows how little tolerances Rolex uses in their manufacturing process
Old 25 August 2020, 03:32 AM   #12
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

In before pUt DoWn ThE lOuPe AnD eNjOy ThE wAtCh
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 03:38 AM   #13
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Service ? I never had a new Rolex without a squeaky bracelet. Advantage of buying new, it will pass and than you miss it. Shows how little tolerances Rolex uses in their manufacturing process
I love it the squeaky bracelet sound my sky dweller recently stopped doing it. That’s when you know the watch is new 👍
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #14
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
My Rolex arrived scratched, it’s a new way to know it’s genuine !
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:17 AM   #15
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Important note. These issues are not only specific to the Rootbeer. These are the same for all new GMTs like the Pepsi and Batgirl. Even DJ41 and SD43 may have at least 3 of the 4 issues, excluding the crown alignment issue.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:18 AM   #16
Bobby T
Banned

A lot of OCD and paranoia lately.......seems to be coming mostly from folks, new to Rolex and watch collecting in general. I'm not sure if its more sad or funny but I get a good laugh every time!!!
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:29 AM   #17
atxdivebezel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Squeak will be gone in a month. I lived through it as well and now miss it...
atxdivebezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:35 AM   #18
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

Hah. Yeah. It really isn't a big deal and was just a little surprising. I am just more OCD about somethings. It took me a long time in life to get to the point of valuing experience and enjoyment over minute imperfections.

For giggles, I just looked at my YM, end links rattle, crown off center, bezel moves a bit. Did I notice it when I collected from the AD? Nope. Do I care about it now? Nope.
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:39 AM   #19
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
A lot of OCD and paranoia lately.......seems to be coming mostly from folks, new to Rolex and watch collecting in general. I'm not sure if its more sad or funny but I get a good laugh every time!!!
To be honest, I expected very high quality when I bought my first Rolex and I got it. My Bluesy doesn't disappoint in any way, everything is rock solid and the crown alignment mentioned in here is about 99.8% where it should be. We all know that this is a mass produced consumer good made of excellent materials, machined by high end machines and assembled by hand...and it's here were those tiny mistakes happen.

The end links on both my Bluesy and DJ41 are rock solid, nothing squeaks and rattles, the bezel on the Bluesy clicks beautifully and feels solid like a rock with no play in it. I expected this type of quality and got it, and I really haven't heard anyone either on here, or in any of the YouTube review videos I watch obsessively before I buy a new watch, complain about those issues (mostly the play in the bezel, end links), so I was surprised to see them being mentioned in that video, hence my post about it.

I have never held a GMT Master II long enough to actually play with the parts in question, so I don't know if the bezel movement is normal or not, and the end link issue is also very unexpected to me seeing how solid they are on both of my watches, especially compared to my 1960's YG DJ36 and my 1990s Tag Heuer (different league and price range, I know...).

Anyways, nothing in this video discourages me in the least from buying my Rootbeer when it finally arrives. I just wanted to share this video to hear other peoples opinion especially other owners of GMT Master II watches.

Thanks everyone for the input so far!
Old 25 August 2020, 04:40 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
None of these things matter when you're flying your 707 and the Pratt & Whitney JT3D turbofans fire up before your stewardess brings you your first takeoff scotch and soda.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:41 AM   #21
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
It’s a mass produced watch and there will be the odd flaw. If you want perfection, look elsewhere. I’ve never ever noticed the rehaut if I’m honest and even if I did I’d have forgotten about it 5 mins later....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:41 AM   #22
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I purchased two GMT's over the past 18 months and neither of mine has the flaws (features) discussed in the video. Lucky I guess.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:44 AM   #23
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
On the contrary, I agree with those that, when paying top dollar for a new timepiece, expect a high degree of quality control. Imho, these small but nagging "defects" should be caught at the factory and fixed before shipping to AD. This would certainly be within their capability and expertise.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:45 AM   #24
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My DaytonaC bracelet was squeaky initially...resolved itself after a while and a couple showers.
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:07 AM   #25
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
My Rolex arrived scratched, it’s a new way to know it’s genuine !

Lol

Old 25 August 2020, 05:14 AM   #26
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
None of these things matter when you're flying your 707 and the Pratt & Whitney JT3D turbofans fire up before your stewardess brings you your first takeoff scotch and soda.
Ha ha, nobody up there to pull you over and breathalyse you.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:53 AM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

1) Timing issue is a non factor.

2) New Rolex squeek and stuff in the beginning. It's also a non-factor

3) Rotor Noise? Non-Factor. New bearings and such.

4) Crown Alignment? BAD. Rolex needs to rectify this.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:59 AM   #28
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

#1 My RB loses approx 2 sec per day. Happy
#2 No end link issues. Some bit of link noise throughout the bracelet.
#3 Rotor noise c/w 32xx movement, addressed in many other threads.
#4 No rehaut misalignment.

QED

I don’t think you can take one example and generalize across the line.

YMMV
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:00 AM   #29
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
The crown misalignment issue is very disappointing. Even replicas are better than this!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:02 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
A rather crictical review of a Rootbeer, does yours have the same issues?