The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2019, 06:09 PM   #1
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

SBGA387 or Black Sub Date 116610LN

Which would you choose?

Sent from my SM-G9750 using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:03 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

The question(s) should be which one are you going for?

How important is brand recognition/cachet to you?
How important is craftsmanship to you?
How important is residual value to you?
Which is more appealing – 1 of 850K or 1 of 4-5K made each year?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
The SBGA387 is amazing and I respect the ones that goes for it. With that said, I would go for the 116610LN. I have a few issues with the aesthetics on the SBGA387
Old 13 June 2019, 09:04 PM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The dial on the GS is beautiful. I'm not a fan of having the power reserve on it thou.
Old 13 June 2019, 09:49 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As a former owner of the 387 I can tell you it is a great watch. I see it and the Submariner as real different types of watches. Depending on what is in your collection I would almost always add the Rolex diver. In this case I would get the Submariner.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Hipster Doofus
"TRF" Member

I was choosing between this and the blue dial Milgauss. It took me a good six months to decide and I wish you luck with your decision. I would say try to have a look at them or some Grand Seikos in person before deciding. I had to buy sight unseen but did try on other Grand Seiko 44GS cases.

I noted in my research that a lot of SBGA387 owners had mentioned that the dial colour is quite subdued in most lighting. Many of the photos posted do highlight the dial colour at its most vibrant. I would say the picture you posted is about as dark a blue as it will ever appear in real life.

The Rolexes are obviously safer decisions. Resale, recognisability, clasps etc - I won't argue any of the obvious. They also look more like a conventional sports watch, especially the Sub in your case. Some want watches that can dress down, some prefer them to dress up. The sub would dress down, the SBGA387 dresses up IMHO and that's how I prefer it.

I went with the SBGA387. It arrived a few days back. I'm loving it. The dial, bevelling everywhere (case, hands, markers, bracelet - you name it), the polish and finishing are absolutely second to none. It's shiny but it's razor-like stuff. 100m WR is enough for me. The spring drive movement was also a positive over yet another mechanical (even if it is Rolex).

The extent of my satisfaction: I am part of the way to completing a drastic selloff of other watches to adjust to the reality that this piece will basically become the centre of the rotation. I don't have as much time to worry about watches anymore. This is a good, flexible piece that works everywhere and my other quirkier pieces can rotate around this. Some pieces I look down and smile. This one I look down and just shake my head, stare and say Jesus Christ (in a good way).
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:57 PM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think there is room in a collection for both. They are different watches. I am a huge fan of the 387 and would take the 387 over a milgausse or 41mm datejust. However, the sub is really an iconic classic versatile sports watch.

You really need both. If forced to choose 1 it depends on your lifestyle. The 387 dresses up better and has the 2 straps. The Sub is about 50% more moolah but more sporty.

For a 1 and only I personally would go with the Sub but what is the point of just having 1 :)

If you are talking mid $6000 range, a fairer comparison would be the 16610 versus the 387. I do like the 16610 too in that fight for a one and only.
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 12:35 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd vote Sub like I always do but they're completely different watches.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:04 AM   #9
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I really think you gotta go sub here... dial is super cool on the 387 but the sub is easier to wear imo and i like the ceramic bezel a lot
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 06:39 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I like the 387 between these. But I'd go toward the sub if 4 or 5 digits.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 07:28 AM   #11
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses all. Some great feedback and food for thought, it's what I wanted. Would love to hear more from owners of one or both of the pieces (more so from 387 owners as they will be a lot more rare!).

I had deliberately left my opening short to not sway feedback. Appreciate they are totally different watches and suit different lifestyles / collections etc.

I already have a 116710LN and 214270 (Exp mk2) which gives me good variety. No GS, just a turtle and a SARX055.

Also appreciate that the GMT IIc may be too similar to the sub date C, but theres just about enough (IMO) to have both in a collection... maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
As a former owner of the 387 I can tell you it is a great watch. I see it and the Submariner as real different types of watches. Depending on what is in your collection I would almost always add the Rolex diver. In this case I would get the Submariner.
How comes former?

Old 14 June 2019, 07:29 AM   #12
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
The SBGA387 is amazing and I respect the ones that goes for it. With that said, I would go for the 116610LN. I have a few issues with the aesthetics on the SBGA387
What issues do you have with it? Curious to know.

Old 14 June 2019, 07:35 AM   #13
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
I was choosing between this and the blue dial Milgauss. It took me a good six months to decide and I wish you luck with your decision. I would say try to have a look at them or some Grand Seikos in person before deciding. I had to buy sight unseen but did try on other Grand Seiko 44GS cases.

I noted in my research that a lot of SBGA387 owners had mentioned that the dial colour is quite subdued in most lighting. Many of the photos posted do highlight the dial colour at its most vibrant. I would say the picture you posted is about as dark a blue as it will ever appear in real life.

The Rolexes are obviously safer decisions. Resale, recognisability, clasps etc - I won't argue any of the obvious. They also look more like a conventional sports watch, especially the Sub in your case. Some want watches that can dress down, some prefer them to dress up. The sub would dress down, the SBGA387 dresses up IMHO and that's how I prefer it.

I went with the SBGA387. It arrived a few days back. I'm loving it. The dial, bevelling everywhere (case, hands, markers, bracelet - you name it), the polish and finishing are absolutely second to none. It's shiny but it's razor-like stuff. 100m WR is enough for me. The spring drive movement was also a positive over yet another mechanical (even if it is Rolex).

The extent of my satisfaction: I am part of the way to completing a drastic selloff of other watches to adjust to the reality that this piece will basically become the centre of the rotation. I don't have as much time to worry about watches anymore. This is a good, flexible piece that works everywhere and my other quirkier pieces can rotate around this. Some pieces I look down and smile. This one I look down and just shake my head, stare and say Jesus Christ (in a good way).
Really appreciate the write up. Gives me a good feel for the watch and where you are at.

What's your thoughts on the bracelet? Does the lack of micro adjust ruin the comfort?

How is legibility? My SARX is surprisingly great due to the high polish markers but totally useless in no light (since no lume). I assume the SBGA387 would be just as good, if not better.

How long have you had it for now? Any other gripes?

Old 14 June 2019, 10:33 AM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 387 - I just wish I can get it in an Asian GS boutique (I like to have my name on the card). What a lovely watch that is.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:07 AM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Apples and oranges.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #16
Hipster Doofus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfoxer View Post

What's your thoughts on the bracelet? ... How is legibility? ... How long have you had it for now? Any other gripes?
I've only had it for a few days but it feels like I've had it for months. This was sitting at the top of my list since late last year. It's exactly what I expected and yet much more. The finishing is truly spectacular - case, markers, hands, dial, bracelet... It has only come off my wrist for exercise and sleep.

Legibility is fine. There is contrast and polish everywhere picking up enough light to tell the time even in low light. No lume is the obvious limitation. Bearing in mind that the dial shade of blue is quite soft and light in most lighting, maybe focus your legibility considerations more on standard wrist shots.

My only gripe is the bracelet and lack of micro-adjust. Sure, it feels great once sized, but having to worry about it at all is an annoyance at this price level. I alternate between my bigger and smaller wrist based on the situation. Not ideal, but it's effective.

[I'm an odd case bracelet-wise, so I'm used to it and don't worry that much about it. Firstly I get mine sized by my watchmaker, who is very convenient to me and doesn't mind me popping in. Secondly, I'm moving between climates a fair bit, doing a lot of physical training (marathon prep) so my wrist size is changing a lot.]
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:48 PM   #17
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I would pick the Sub

I like dive watches. The Sub is iconic and works with a suit or a wet suit. That Seiko is interesting, but a little over the top for my conservative tastes.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 01:01 AM   #18
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Different watches for sure and I love this GS dial but I’d be hard pressed to choose anything over a Sub.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 01:38 AM   #19
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Seems like the sub is dominating this vs between the two!

Old 15 June 2019, 04:15 AM   #20
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Sub
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 07:31 AM   #21
stockae92
"TRF" Member

They are apple to oranges, really hard to compare, pick and choose.

There is nothing wrong with owning either one. But my money would go to SBGA387.

Here's why:

- I already have another (cheaper) sports watch that I don't mind few ding/dent/ scratches on it
- You know it when you know it. Its less likely you will see another guy wearing the same brand, let alone the same watch.
- the detail and polish on both are nice, but GS case shape and finish, and those sharp hands are a step further than the Sub case.
- Spring Drive movement is the real deal.
- And of course that SBGA387 dial
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 08:06 AM   #22
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
They are apple to oranges, really hard to compare, pick and choose.

There is nothing wrong with owning either one. But my money would go to SBGA387.

Here's why:

- I already have another (cheaper) sports watch that I don't mind few ding/dent/ scratches on it
- You know it when you know it. Its less likely you will see another guy wearing the same brand, let alone the same watch.
- the detail and polish on both are nice, but GS case shape and finish, and those sharp hands are a step further than the Sub case.
- Spring Drive movement is the real deal.
- And of course that SBGA387 dial
This ^

But I wouldn’t rule out the sub either. Both options are good and both great watches.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote