The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2018, 04:28 AM   #1
opresso
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
FOR SALE!!!!...BUT maybe not?????

This point has been eating at me and I just have to throw it out there in the world. WHY, oh, WHY do sellers list an item for sale BUT when you send a sensible question regarding provenance, polished or not, box with papers, etc., etc., they just do not respond? This is quite frustrating. Why list the watch for sale IF you do not plan to take the time to answer general questions?

I can understand if it is a lowball situation, such as offering $1500 for a $5500 watch.....I GET THAT!!!!

However, if the offer is within 10-20% of the asking price...and the posting states OBO....wtf? That is generally a label of willingness to negotiate. Are some people just ignorant to the art of negotiation and the fun it can bring in conversation?

SO, my request to sellers is if you are selling and do NOT want to budge on the price, how about stating "firm." This way, intelligent people will not waste their time sending you a PM. In my book, it is quite rude not to respond to someone with a valid question or offer.

I just do not understand someone taking the time for photos, descriptions and postings if they are not willing to do the last part and answer a few questions and take the money! Blows my mind.
opresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:38 AM   #2
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
I've run into situations a lot in my daily life and have learned to give the seller/servicer the benefit of the doubt and a little more time.

Just last week, I put in a call to our contractor (we're remodeling 3 bathrooms in our home). He didn't get back to me for two days. My wife was getting more frustrated than I was. I told her give him one more day. Turns out, he had been in the hospital during that time - recovering from a heart attack!

He's fine now and was at our house the next day after getting out of the hospital.

Point is: Don't always assume someone is ignoring you. Maybe they are but maybe they're not.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:45 AM   #3
opresso
"TRF" Member

….appreciate the feedback and completely understand. The particular case that prompted my post is a seller that is on TRF. He has a watch posted here and on ebay simultaneously. I sent three messages on ebay and three on TRF with no response. It has been two weeks. I moved on and bought another watch so it is his loss. Just simply do not get it.
Old 28 November 2018, 04:46 AM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
What sellers are you referring to? Does not sound like the ones here
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:51 AM   #5
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraCrispy View Post
I've run into situations a lot in my daily life and have learned to give the seller/servicer the benefit of the doubt and a little more time.

Just last week, I put in a call to our contractor (we're remodeling 3 bathrooms in our home). He didn't get back to me for two days. My wife was getting more frustrated than I was. I told her give him one more day. Turns out, he had been in the hospital during that time - recovering from a heart attack!

He's fine now and was at our house the next day after getting out of the hospital.

Point is: Don't always assume someone is ignoring you. Maybe they are but maybe they're not.
I agree with this completely. I worked in negotiation and sometimes things just come up. Once the ball is in their court, it's out of your hands. Give them a 2-3 days to respond and then move on. Being impatient in a negotiation never ends well......for the one who can't wait.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:55 AM   #6
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by opresso View Post
I just do not understand someone taking the time for photos, descriptions and postings if they are not willing to do the last part and answer a few questions and take the money! Blows my mind.
They probably don't want to answer because your questions are a red flag to them. There may be something wrong with the watch, it may not have the full set, it may be badly polished, there may be other problems. The seller does not wish to sell to someone who is aware of these issues, cares about them and will want a discount that reflects the problems. The seller will much prefer to sell to an uneducated buyer who may pay top $ for a problem watch.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:56 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
10-20% below asking? If the item is listed at market or close to it (not hard to deduce), then that is probably why you are not getting a response.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:57 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
"However, if the offer is within 10-20% of the asking price"

20% could definitely be considered a lowball offer, especially on most SS Rolex watches (where even 10% might be silly).

Personally, I've never had an inquiry not responded to and never not responded to someone inquiring about something I have posted, regardless of how insulting the offer was. If the offer is insulting, I'll typically respond with something like thanks for the interest, but no thanks on the offer.

If I had something like a Sub Date listed for $8,500 and an offer came in for $7,225 from someone with 10 posts, while I personally would still write a quick reply, I can understand why someone would be hesitant.

This isn't a dig at you, but your writing style based on the OP could appear to be aggressive to some. Caps, multiple uses of punctuation, etc. Again, that isn't to insult you or be disrespectful at all, but every situation needs to be looked at, individually.

Anyways, congrats on your new purchase
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 05:03 AM   #9
opresso
"TRF" Member

Here is a little more framework to the story. As mentioned, the same watch posted on ebay and TRF. Multiple messages sent over two weeks with no response. Can clearly see where the 'member' has logged into the forum each day through his profile. So, in my opinion, two weeks is long enough to respond. He is clearly not in the hospital or a bad way if he logs into TRF daily. Initially, I suspected it may be due to my low post count on TRF. Even with this, I would expect decency of a response. I have all positive feedback with purchase and sale on the forum. As for ebay, feedback is 100% with over 1500 transactions. I actually gave this situation thought on each angle of consideration. It only takes a moment to respond to an inquiry...for anyone that is of well-body, mind, not incarcerated, etc., and made a post for a watch sale, seems they could extend a common courtesy to communicate. This was my only point. If it had been only 2-3 days or even a week, fully understood. BUT, two weeks with activity on the forum and no response?
Old 28 November 2018, 05:06 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraCrispy View Post
Maybe they are but maybe they're not.
Sounds like someone who "lives" in our city.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 05:07 AM   #11
opresso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
They probably don't want to answer because your questions are a red flag to them. There may be something wrong with the watch, it may not have the full set, it may be badly polished, there may be other problems. The seller does not wish to sell to someone who is aware of these issues, cares about them and will want a discount that reflects the problems. The seller will much prefer to sell to an uneducated buyer who may pay top $ for a problem watch.
I think you are on the money about this one. The watch is listed as 'tropical' so most of us know the risks that carries in regards to actual or not. Furthermore, if I buy a watch with box and papers, good feedback on the forum, I usually offer within 5% of asking price. The reason I mentioned a spread of 10-20% on this watch is because it carries much more risk than a watch that has some provenance with it.
Old 28 November 2018, 05:21 AM   #12
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I've had one particular big named seller ask me if I was going to buy anything this time. I bought 4 watches from him in 3 years. He sends me a hammered example of a watch and I passed. I didn't even bother responding to the " are you going to buy" comment.

I'll tell you I have worked with a few here that are rockstars. Thanh ( Takuya) is nothing but appreciative of the business. As well as George ( Kringkily). If you don't get a response you like, move along to another seller.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 05:28 AM   #13
opresso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I've had one particular big named seller ask me if I was going to buy anything this time. I bought 4 watches from him in 3 years. He sends me a hammered example of a watch and I passed. I didn't even bother responding to the " are you going to buy" comment.

I'll tell you I have worked with a few here that are rockstars. Thanh ( Takuya) is nothing but appreciative of the business. As well as George ( Kringkily). If you don't get a response you like, move along to another seller.
I appreciate the feedback and completely agree. I have had great responses from most members on the forum. I have also made a few really good purchases; usually receiving a watch in better condition than described. This is the main reason I have been a bit thrown off by my latest interaction with no response. This forum is a wealth of information and good people. I absolutely appreciated the community. I have just been frustrated with this recent communication issue. I let it get under my skin and should not have...lol.
Old 28 November 2018, 11:58 AM   #14
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I have to admit, it's one of my pet peeves also and really chaps my ass. Shows a lack of respect, and really is just low class. It's best just to put them on the no buy list...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 09:48 AM   #15
opresso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I have to admit, it's one of my pet peeves also and really chaps my ass. Shows a lack of respect, and really is just low class. It's best just to put them on the no buy list...
"Chaps my ass..".....absolutely...lol. Very well said sir.
If there was a valid reason, it would not bother me. However, two weeks is also quite some time to remain silent...to another forum member simply asking a few questions and making an offer. It concerns me that the most likely possibility at this point is the seller trying to push a junk watch; this really irritates me. I do not have the most honed skills in comparison to some of the experts on this forum but I do generally ask the right questions and notice enough red flags to keep from getting burned. I factor in a buffer in my offer for these particular cases to cover some of the gap. I have a feeling I asked this guy some questions that put him on alert. The funny thing is he has made several sales on the forum with good feedback. It is obvious the watch has been polished heavily and of course the tropical dial claim is a toss-up. However, I was up front that I was looking for a daily wear and the things I did notice were not of high concern. However....crickets past the point of inquiring several times on the forum and the ebay listing for the same watch. What really sucks is if someone new to the scene buys it at full price and is very disappointed afterwards; not a good way to start out your Rolex experience nor does it speak well for a forum experience. That is of course a "what if" scenario but it does happen. I received the watch I purchased as an alternative late today. I will try to post a couple photos up tomorrow. She is a beauty. Thanks for everyone's comments.
Old 29 November 2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Lgear080
Banned

Reasonable questions should get reasonable answers from reasonable sellers. If this isn’t the conclusion then perhaps the seller isn’t reasonable.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote