The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 June 2019, 01:00 AM   #31
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I’d pair it with a 5320 . If u don’t like it sell it. Think of it as paying a little more for the 5711r After this you would have a 150k relationship...should help getting future watches easier.

If I was u I’d ask for a 5711a to pair it with vs the 5711 1r

After which I would ask to be put on the list for any other aquanaut it nautilus
Agreed! You have spent 3 years with them already. You won't be able to get a popular PP these days without a prior buying history with an AD, sadly but true to say it! If you can choose for any non aquanaut or nautilus references as the combo, I will definitely accept the offer
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:20 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

5170p
5205 blue
5905 new rg choco

These are my acceptable bundles
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:35 AM   #33
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Similar story I had with a local AD. I just didn't wait that long before I had them spell it out for me. Chose to walk, no regrets.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 02:03 AM   #34
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
The other watch is a 5180 1R. Although not desirable I think it’s beautiful. I could potentially substitute to a Grand complication. The point is the 5180 was a down the road piece for me, not at the top of my list, I simply mentioned I liked it a few months ago. I feel I’ve had 3 different requirements so far to acquire the 1R. I’m looking to acquire a handful of sports models over time, I just don’t like the way this has transpired and feel if I commit to this it literally does nothing for future purchases. I’ll be committed to over 200k in one year to this AD in the meantime (first watch was 5524r) and full msrp on everything and come next deal it will be same story.
Old 23 June 2019, 02:36 AM   #35
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
The other watch is a 5180 1R. Although not desirable I think it’s beautiful. I could potentially substitute to a Grand complication. The point is the 5180 was a down the road piece for me, not at the top of my list, I simply mentioned I liked it a few months ago. I feel I’ve had 3 different requirements so far to acquire the 1R. I’m looking to acquire a handful of sports models over time, I just don’t like the way this has transpired and feel if I commit to this it literally does nothing for future purchases. I’ll be committed to over 200k in one year to this AD in the meantime (first watch was 5524r) and full msrp on everything and come next deal it will be same story.
Definitley would not buy that. But it’s ur money. If u are not comfortable don’t buy. Its not 5-10k we talking about
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 02:46 AM   #36
aa909
Banned

Quote:
5180r, Ugh!! If funds aren’t an issue try to bundle the 5711 with a different watch, unfortunately this is the game today. Otherwise I’d walk.

Good Luck, hope you’re able to negotiate a better deal
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #37
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:

i was having a discussion about the 5180 1r the other day to some friends, we can appreciate the workmanship etc, but it is a dog

hope you can find something else to bundle in with, if thats your choice
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 11:10 PM   #38
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would speak with owner and make the following points: When you got on the list ther, the watch was not in such high demand, and trusted that they would get to you in due course. If you have no intention of flipping it, offer to have them hold the warranty card for a couple years as a sign of good faith. If this fails, i would in no uncertain terms let them know you will write a letter to Patek about their “tying” practice and publicize the AD on the internet. It may not work, but worth a try.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 11:17 PM   #39
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
I'm looking for opinions on if this makes sense for me... I know some of you have great AD relationships so try and answer based on my situation and not yours.

I've been on a waitlist for a 5711/1R for 3 years now at my local AD, I went this route because I had no prior purchase history with them and at the time this watch sold grey for basically retail. In my opinion its one of the best sport pateks, and I knew a blue dial steel would be out the question, so I figured this would be a good piece to build a relationship with that I actually wanted and demand wasn't so bad. They put me on "the list" and didn't at all act like this was going to be impossible.

Fast forward approx 2 years and after a few follow up visits/calls came to the conclusion that there is no list. Also no chance of aquiring this watch without some type of purchase history. I plan to buy some other watches anyways so I figure might as well set some roots with the AD as they strongly hint this will get me in the door for the 1R and future desirable watches. Purchase complete and I'm rocking a nice complication.

Fast forward to now and I've kept in contact with the AD on a regular basis, seem friendly, and am told I'm next to get my 1R sometime this month. Everything seems great, till the catch. If I want the 1R, I have to pair it with another patek, one thats 100k. I politely explain this was never the offered scenario and remind them of all the talks and scenarios presented by them in the past only to be politely "steered" that if I want the 1R this is the only way. Of course they won't just black and white say it, but its clear. I'm highly irritated that I waited 3 years for a watch I could have had on my wrist for darn near retail but hoped to establish a relationship and now will pay thru the nose to do so. I do like both watches and at some point planned on aquiring both, but its the way we arrived here.

So I'm left with the dilemma.... 1) walk away knowing that realistically starting over with a new AD at this part of the game is realistically impossible and at best waiting years again to hopefully get this watch. or 2) purchase the combo deal, but still have zero faith that "my AD" is ever going to work out the way its supposed to where you build a relationship and get watches you want without all the strings attached, if at all.

What would you do in my situation.
I'm sitting in almost near same situation. I'm arguing over a 5% discount for the 1R that they promised me, but somehow have gotten amnesia over as it's been 1 year since we spoke about the deal. 3 years since I put my name down, so likewise for your situation I say this:

Bite the bullet

Why? You need the AD. The AD doesnt need you, and there is always a bigger fish who will do their "combo deals" that they offer. The same goes to Patek...They don't need the AD, the AD needs them. We are at the end of the supply chain where we have no say.

PS. I'm going to wire them the money in full, with the increase in price.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 11:37 PM   #40
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I'm sitting in almost near same situation. I'm arguing over a 5% discount for the 1R that they promised me, but somehow have gotten amnesia over as it's been 1 year since we spoke about the deal. 3 years since I put my name down, so likewise for your situation I say this:

Bite the bullet

Why? You need the AD. The AD doesnt need you, and there is always a bigger fish who will do their "combo deals" that they offer. The same goes to Patek...They don't need the AD, the AD needs them. We are at the end of the supply chain where we have no say.

PS. I'm going to wire them the money in full, with the increase in price.
Pictures bro
Old 23 June 2019, 11:58 PM   #41
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Don't buy the 1ook watch before they deliver you the 5711R. These should be your terms, regardless of the AD you'll choose to do business with in the end.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:05 AM   #42
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Pictures bro
You want a screenshot of my wire confirmation tomorrow?

Pictures to come when I go pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
Don't buy the 1ook watch before they deliver you the 5711R. These should be your terms, regardless of the AD you'll choose to do business with in the end.
My AD requires me to pay a deposit. I've never done any deals with any ADs who said "I'll be on top of the list for X after I buy Y"
Example...One AD would have sold me the 5719 with the promise I'd be on top of the list for the 5711/1A (Blue). Catchphrase and deal breaker for me was "they didn't know when the 5711/1A would arrive". In other words, offload a 400K watch to me and then tell me to go skip ropes.
Old 24 June 2019, 12:10 AM   #43
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:

Lol. U know what I mean. Of the lovely new +5% watch. :)
Old 24 June 2019, 12:37 AM   #44
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t want to build a relationship with this type of AD. You’ll have to spend 100k on a dress Patek and we all know how soft the market is for these pieces. I would just buy the blue 5711/1a on the secondary market and be done with it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:38 AM   #45
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The problem of course is that the situation has changed in the last three years, and they are renegotiating based on increased current leverage. I agree that a chat with the owner can't hurt, and try to impress owner with the idea that you are a long term customer that they don't want to lose. And that he and he alone (or she) can salvage this "relationship."

This situation reminds me of the notion, "never look for an honest man in a crooked card game." They have shown their hand about not being honorable, so at this point it is likely a numbers game for you, and you have to swallow your pride to even consider giving them $150k of business. These days it is hard to tell the difference between watch ADs and car dealers.
Old 24 June 2019, 12:39 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Not many incomings of these hot pieces any more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:40 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
The problem of course is that the situation has changed in the last three years, and they are renegotiating based on increased current leverage. I agree that a chat with the owner can't hurt, and try to impress owner with the idea that you are a long term customer that they don't want to lose. And that he and he alone (or she) can salvage this "relationship."

This situation reminds me of the notion, "never look for an honest man in a crooked card game." They have shown their hand about not being honorable, so at this point it is likely a numbers game for you, and you have to swallow your pride to even consider giving them $150k of business. These days it is hard to tell the difference between watch ADs and car dealers.
Yup you gotta roll with the times, no point living in the past to spite your face.
Old 24 June 2019, 12:48 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I will do the bundle. Are there no 100k Patek that you like?

If you buy the 5711 from a reseller, you are paying premium to get only 1 watch. 2 watches > 1 IMO, I will just play the AD game.
This makes the most sense to me also. Pay the after market price and your paying a lot of money for nothing gained. At least with the bundle you have two Pateks at MSRP. People balk at this but as stated here people getting the hard to get stuff have long purchase histories. Its as if they serial bundlers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:48 AM   #49
JVM
Banned

I think when a dealer tells you they’re putting you “on the list” it’s just a more polite way of blowing you off. If you were going to get a watch and they didn’t ask you a significant deposit you’d know it, but that’s not a scenario that happens to new guys. It’s unfortunate that they just didn’t have the tough conversation up front, and sorry you wasted so much time since if you had paid market price from a grey dealer when you started it would have been a bargain compared to today’s open market pricing.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:48 AM   #50
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Not many incomings of these hot pieces any more.
I have a feeling that:
1. They held out and waited to tell me it arrived
2. Not answering my request that we had a phone conversation about the discount is a way to drag it out as they know I have to wire it before I leave to travel

But who am I to complain when @OP can't even get this watch and the grey market trades it for $120K+, and here I am trying to argue for $2500
Old 24 June 2019, 12:51 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have a feeling that:
1. They held out and waited to tell me it arrived
2. Not answering my request that we had a phone conversation about the discount is a way to drag it out as they know I have to wire it before I leave to travel

But who am I to complain when @OP can't even get this watch and the grey market trades it for $120K+, and here I am trying to argue for $2500
Yeah, we were thinking this a couple of months back, but we all said just buy the watch, would be much harder if like a few years ago you were looking at a falling PM price.
Old 24 June 2019, 02:10 AM   #52
WatchLurv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah, we were thinking this a couple of months back, but we all said just buy the watch, would be much harder if like a few years ago you were looking at a falling PM price.
A few years ago they would have begged me to buy it. Probably throw 15% into the deal too.

Now I'm forced and tied to wire it off in full. I'm going to argue for my next watch with them IF that happens in the near future. Not sure how much love I got with them after purchasing 3 PM pieces and spent around $150,000 USD with them in 1 year.
Old 24 June 2019, 02:17 AM   #53
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
A few years ago they would have begged me to buy it. Probably throw 15% into the deal too.

Now I'm forced and tied to wire it off in full. I'm going to argue for my next watch with them IF that happens in the near future. Not sure how much love I got with them after purchasing 3 PM pieces and spent around $150,000 USD with them in 1 year.
Man. I’d be kissing ur butt if I was ur AD.... pucker up. Lol

I know I been waiting for this piece for awhile. I’m excited to see u get it.
Old 24 June 2019, 02:26 AM   #54
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

WatchLurv, funny how I would love to be in your position. I get where your coming from thou. How bout I pay the $2500 difference for you and we have a timeshare! It’s win win lol.

In my situation I’m probably going to walk. I feel myself losing interest as a whole with the way things are headed. Probably just discouraged and eventually the fire will reignite. I’d talk to the owner but I think they are the driving force to begin with. Everything I’ve been told has been that “Patek” is requiring all this not them. Funny how Patek is watching where every single model is going yet so many available in grey market.
Old 24 June 2019, 02:39 AM   #55
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

I proposed they show some good faith on the 5711/1R and that I’d show good faith as a good client. My offer. Sell me the 5711 stand alone since I’ve already purchased the 5524 and waited 3 years (everything they asked), but at the same time I’ll take the 5180 if they pair it with another sports watch from my want list. So 3 watches at once. They balked immediately to this idea. This is what I get for wanting to establish local and thinking long term relationship. Should have known better. The AD is owned by a big player in the used watch game so it all makes sense.
Old 24 June 2019, 02:40 AM   #56
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
WatchLurv, funny how I would love to be in your position. I get where your coming from thou. How bout I pay the $2500 difference for you and we have a timeshare! It’s win win lol.

In my situation I’m probably going to walk. I feel myself losing interest as a whole with the way things are headed. Probably just discouraged and eventually the fire will reignite. I’d talk to the owner but I think they are the driving force to begin with. Everything I’ve been told has been that “Patek” is requiring all this not them. Funny how Patek is watching where every single model is going yet so many available in grey market.
Don’t get discouraged buddy... I’ve done many bundles over the years and have a few bundles in the works to get a few of the harder to get pieces that I’ve been waiting for. I am also however on lists per day and those things take forever
Old 24 June 2019, 02:41 AM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I proposed they show some good faith on the 5711/1R and that I’d show good faith as a good client. My offer. Sell me the 5711 stand alone since I’ve already purchased the 5524 and waited 3 years (everything they asked), but at the same time I’ll take the 5180 if they pair it with another sports watch from my want list. So 3 watches at once. They balked immediately to this idea. This is what I get for wanting to establish local and thinking long term. Should have known better.
What was the 3rd watch from the want list?
Old 24 June 2019, 02:54 AM   #58
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
If, I'm in your shoes......

I hate when people lie to me.......

I would have walk and buy the 5711R from the gray....... It's cheaper and don't have to deal with the BS......

Buying 100K of dress watch, plus 5711R at 54K and plus tax..... You end up spending more at the AD...... No thanks.......

Whether if you go gray or another AD for the 5711R.....

You should wear your new 5711R to your old AD and bust the Pretty Woman shopping scene....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 02:59 AM   #59
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What was the 3rd watch from the want list?
Like all of us the list is 5-6 pieces. I left it up to them. I did mention aquanaut or 5712 as suggestions. I get the 12 might have been over the top, but you don’t know unless you ask
Old 24 June 2019, 03:02 AM   #60
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
If, I'm in your shoes......

I hate when people lie to me.......

I would have walk and buy the 5711R from the gray....... It's cheaper and don't have to deal with the BS......

Buying 100K of dress watch, plus 5711R at 54K and plus tax..... You end up spending more at the AD...... No thanks.......

Whether if you go gray or another AD for the 5711R.....

You should wear your new 5711R to your old AD and bust the Pretty Woman shopping scene....

I don’t see the cheaper logic thou, otherwise I’d agree. I’m looking at $150k roughly for two watches or grey going to be best case what $110k for one? The 5180 would be the bargain of the century at 40k based on that no?