The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 May 2018, 09:35 AM   #1
cold_steel
"TRF" Member

Watchutopia99 - Can anyone locate this guy?

Hello friends,

Does anyone have information on a guy who used to use the handle Watchutopia99 on eBay?

Last July, I committed to buy a Rolex Air King. The seller seemed legit, with over 800 transactions and 100% positive feedback. I entered into a layaway plan with the seller because I couldn't afford to pay the full price of the watch right away. I was required to pay 20% of the total price and I had a year to pay the balance.

I recently tried to contact the seller in order to discuss how to move forward with the transaction. He has stopped replying to my emails. I checked eBay and found out that he is no longer a registered seller. eBay is not able to give me any contact information for him. It seems that he has vanished and taken a substantial chunk of my hard-earned cash with him!

Does anyone have any information about this seller and how to contact him? All I know is that his name is Michael (at least this is the name he singed his emails with). Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
cold_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 12:40 PM   #2
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Buyers?

All of his/her buyers are listed as "Private". This is something that I think is a indication that there may be something to hide. I avoid sellers with this kind of feedback.

I'm sorry you are out the money.....
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 02:39 PM   #3
MinMay
Banned

You need to provide more info.

How did you pay him? You'll need to escalate to eBay or whatever you used to pay him.

He has only 1 feedback out of 800 within the last ONE year. Not good..

Good luck.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 06:43 AM   #4
cold_steel
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, I did speak to eBay customer service and they have not been helpful. As this guy is now de-registered as an eBay seller, they cannot provide me with any information.

Also, I stupidly used an Interac email money transfer to pay the down payment. I should have probably used PayPal or a similar service. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure if I have any recourse at this point if I used email money transfer to pay him.
Old 4 May 2018, 07:18 PM   #5
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 09:08 PM   #6
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cat Wall Clock
My advice is go up the chain of action over the timeline of interaction and call the intermediary company to resolve your situation step by step. E.g contact Ebay, contact BBB, contact the payment company you used, contact the police, contact a lawyer.

I suspect Ebay has the information. Data is usually never deleted fully, but archived and can be retrieved from a database somewhere. Having a lawyer send them a notice may give them the push they need to relinquish the info, so you can file a police report.
fwong208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Yk101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post

And how exactly is this adding to the discussion or helping the OP?
Yk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:37 PM   #8
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Because I initially posted a link to a thread with several email addresses on it - plus another one with his website DNS - then I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea - so came back and edited it out

How does your post help the OP ?
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:53 AM   #9
cold_steel
"TRF" Member

The issue has been resolved. The seller reached out to me yesterday.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Cheers!
Old 6 May 2018, 05:39 AM   #10
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Wow i didnt expect that. Thought you were out of luck
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:46 AM   #11
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cat Wall Clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_steel View Post
The issue has been resolved. The seller reached out to me yesterday.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Cheers!
I hope resolved means you either got your funds back, in hand or you have the watch in hand. Best of luck.
fwong208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 09:16 AM   #12
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Yes, if possible, please share a few details on how this worked out for you. Thanks.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Holted
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain Bathysca
Positive Watchutopia99 experience

Hey Folks,

I just wanted to post a positive buying experience with Watchutopia99 because I couldn't find any reviews online before I made my purchase and what I could find made me leery. Though not enough, I guess, to stop me. Anyway, I ordered a Tudor Black Bay Rose ETA with bracelet a couple of weeks ago and it arrived within the week I ordered. I am in Canada as he is so perhaps that made it quicker but I doubt it. All the comments mentioned how fast the delivery was. Keeps the reviews private so they purchasers don't get hounded. Anyway, he was always available questions, fast to respond and the watch arrived exactly as described. I told him I'd create an account to set things straight. If you any questions please don't hesitate.

Jordan, Abbotsford BC.
Holted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:59 AM   #14
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
I hate hearing stories like this. Wish you would have asked our advice beforehand.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:47 AM   #15
usling15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holted View Post
Hey Folks,

I just wanted to post a positive buying experience with Watchutopia99 because I couldn't find any reviews online before I made my purchase and what I could find made me leery. Though not enough, I guess, to stop me. Anyway, I ordered a Tudor Black Bay Rose ETA with bracelet a couple of weeks ago and it arrived within the week I ordered. I am in Canada as he is so perhaps that made it quicker but I doubt it. All the comments mentioned how fast the delivery was. Keeps the reviews private so they purchasers don't get hounded. Anyway, he was always available questions, fast to respond and the watch arrived exactly as described. I told him I'd create an account to set things straight. If you any questions please don't hesitate.

Jordan, Abbotsford BC.
Glad you could join TRF just in time to vouch for Watchutopia ! Also glad you could pass along why he keeps his references private !
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:48 AM   #16
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usling15 View Post
Glad you could join TRF just in time to vouch for Watchutopia ! Also glad you could pass along why he keeps his references private !
This thread is 18 months old. The references refer to Ebay reviews and Holted's info doesn't make sense. The reviewers are anonymous so there is no 'hounding'.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay , fraud , seller