The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 October 2019, 12:59 PM   #31
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon5

So sorry to hear - word to all. You can “buy the seller “ and “check references” til the cows come home and that’s certainly something one should do but when you wire money, you might as well box up 100 dollar bills and send them to this person you have never met. DON’T DO IT ! ALWAYS use pay pal or AMX , if there is a problem, it is easy to dispute the charge. How sad these scams keep happening. Scam like this can’t be done if you just follow this simple rule, just common sense imo . :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 02:55 PM   #32
healer
"TRF" Member

I’ll say it again-and again and again-if it’s wire transfer run as fast as you can! I’m brand new here and almost everyday I see this kind of posting. This is the place to be if you want to be scam. So be very very careful here when sending money.
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:10 PM   #33
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
wire payments are just so risky its not worth it
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 02:27 PM   #34
PossumDixon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I’ve gone down the road with a few of these scammers. The references always check out because they are BS. They set up many emails and answer them as references for the others. References mean nothing on these sites. I always ask where person lives, and say I will meet them locally to buy in place of their choosing (known safe place). You never hear from them again. I’ve had a few live 30 minutes from me but refuse a local face to face, you know it’s a scam.

In most of these scam ads prices are too good to be true and oftentimes the English isn’t great or grammatical errors. Everything on the lesser sites are scams.
PossumDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 10:05 PM   #35
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris888 View Post
Hi,

Just to weigh in here... Unfortunately, I am very real, but my account was hacked for an undetermined period of time (possibly a week while this deal went on). I've since recovered it with Stephen Smith and the Mods here, but sadly, for you, I was not the person making the reference check.

It's sad that scammers prey on people who sell often with good references and take advantage of new pledge members.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you are able to recover some, if not all, of your money.
So your personal computer was hacked or was your account here phished? The sad thing is people don’t pay attention and stick their password in some pm, email or link and sadly someone gets hurt as a result. It’s real easy to not get phished here by exercising proper precautions.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 11:16 PM   #36
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by healer View Post
I’ll say it again-and again and again-if it’s wire transfer run as fast as you can! I’m brand new here and almost everyday I see this kind of posting. This is the place to be if you want to be scam. So be very very careful here when sending money.
Here, is the place where you will get scammed? It happens everywhere to unsuspecting noobs. Do you homework, check, double check, talk the the seller on the phone, be very vigilant and absolutely certain when sending a wire. As for you, unless you have sparkling, very strong references, it would be pretty hard for you to use anything but wire, or a ftf for cash on here. Most sellers will accept Paypal from people they have done business with before, or have strong references from reputable people. Allowing paypal to purchase from someone with no references is kissing your watch goodbye....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 11:20 PM   #37
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Ive bought many watches here. Never been scammed. Because i do due diligence and by only from trusted sellers of which there are a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 11:31 PM   #38
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Looks like I’m about to be scammed

OP, sorry to hear this, I know you must feel horrible. Like you said tomorrow is a new day and think of it as a $16 lesson, very cheap in the grand scheme of things. Maybe this lesson will give you that “extra doubt” in you’re mind to prevent someone from taking you’re entire life savings at some point. That happens a lot.

Last edited by HL65; 13 October 2019 at 01:50 AM..
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 07:04 AM   #39
jharris888
"TRF" Member

Phished

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
So your personal computer was hacked or was your account here phished? The sad thing is people don’t pay attention and stick their password in some pm, email or link and sadly someone gets hurt as a result. It’s real easy to not get phished here by exercising proper precautions.
My account here was phished... And I get that most people don’t use proper precautions so it’s easy to assume, but I don’t click links in PMs or in emails sent to me from potential buyers, so I’m not sure how it happened.
jharris888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 08:25 AM   #40
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
That account is actively selling on WUS
That account was scam banned on August 28th along with the Jon77 account that made this bogus feedback post: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/bo...l#post48109695
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 08:31 AM   #41
cop414

Watch: 14060M
Thanks Bo, just nuts out there.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:12 AM   #42
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Sorry to hear this.
Old 16 October 2019, 11:38 AM   #43
jerry017uk
Banned

IMO. Been careful and buying from a reputable seller is far more preferred, neither PP or Wire is scam free.
jerry017uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:56 PM   #44
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry017uk View Post
IMO. Been careful and buying from a reputable seller is far more preferred, neither PP or Wire is scam free.
So if I simply use AMX , explain to me how it is possible to get scammed?? All I have to do if I don’t receive the piece, or it is not as described is simple call AMX and dispute the charge. If a seller complains about 3% it costs him, then I usually can get him to split the cost.I know someone will say “they can steal your card no and put additional charges on it.Simple who pays bill w/o checking charges? IMO to do any other method of payment is just asking for trouble.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 05:14 AM   #45
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
So if I simply use AMX , explain to me how it is possible to get scammed?? All I have to do if I don’t receive the piece, or it is not as described is simple call AMX and dispute the charge. If a seller complains about 3% it costs him, then I usually can get him to split the cost.I know someone will say “they can steal your card no and put additional charges on it.Simple who pays bill w/o checking charges? IMO to do any other method of payment is just asking for trouble.

I’ve purchased many watches by wiring money to various sellers on TRF. Never a problem, never a scary moment. Never a nail bite. That’s because I know I’m dealing with top-notch, honest people

Old 1 December 2019, 01:50 AM   #46
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

Regarding wiring money...I bought a rental property in 2016, and the company doing the closing wanted the funds wired to them. I was suspicious since I’d just read of a couple getting scammed that way in a real estate transaction and lost all of their money. I went ahead and did it on the advice of my agent and everything turned out fine, but wiring $ to anyone still makes me nervous.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 03:10 AM   #47
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Wiring money is risky, but a good risk if you do your research. Even the bank knows this, which is why they asked me about 6 times if I was sure about it before they hit the send button.
Old 9 July 2020, 11:16 AM   #48
Carlos282
"TRF" Member

Buying a Watch From Larry Greeg Smith

I read your post as I was searching for Larry Gregg Smith. Do you still have his wire information? Because he asked me to use:
Name On Account: Global E. Enterprise LLC
Account Number: 2301828121
Routine Number: 061112843
Bank Name: United Community Bank
Home Address: 412 NW 32ND CT, Miami, Florida. 33125

Any similarity?
Carlos
Carlos282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:56 AM   #49
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos282 View Post
I read your post as I was searching for Larry Gregg Smith. Do you still have his wire information? Because he asked me to use:

Any similarity?
Carlos
This thread is quite old, but it appears that the information you are posting is similar to the original poster here, and would be raising plenty of red flags for me.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:16 PM   #50
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
This thread is quite old, but it appears that the information you are posting is similar to the original poster here, and would be raising plenty of red flags for me.

This is absolutely correct. Don’t need more to walk

Old 15 July 2020, 10:02 AM   #51
Matt37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos282 View Post

Any similarity?
Carlos

Yes - scam

Did he send you a picture of a Larry Gregg Smith FL drivers license?
Matt37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 05:46 PM   #52
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I agree with this. Seems like it might be a good idea to postpone or lock accounts that get phished. Maybe 3 months at least. That might give everyone some time to figure out that they have been phished. The person who gets phished, unbeknownst to them, starts the scam in action and in the end doesn't lose any money.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:02 PM   #53
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Sorry to hear you lost your funds. Whether it's been cars, boats, watches etc, if it says Miami, I stay far away. Not that every seller in Miami is a scammer, there is just a much higher probability it is a scam.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 03:19 AM   #54
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It shocks me how you read over and over about these scams and wiring money to a small time dealer or individual hobbiest. There should be a sticky. Wiring money to a very reputable trusted seller is one thing but any other exception should be avoided. I never, ever wire money to anyone. Regardless of any circumstance whatsoever... it’s riddled with risk.

Even if it’s a very trusted seller the risk will remain as this trusted seller can be hacked and someone else could be acting on his behalf. Happened before.
Final thought is to never buy online. Physical purchase is the only way when it comes to expensive watches. I never did it and will never do it no matter how great, secure or unbelievable the deal is.

Old 16 July 2020, 03:43 AM   #55
Rollitex
Banned

Watch: Rootbeer and Pepsi
I think I have heard of him. He’s a big scammer.
Rollitex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:02 PM   #56
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by healer View Post
I would have to disagree. A wire transfer with a verified reputable seller is a very normal way of transacting a purchase. Just FYI.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:13 AM   #57
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Fountain View Post
I would have to disagree. A wire transfer with a verified reputable seller is a very normal way of transacting a purchase. Just FYI.

Totally right - If you fear wire transfers you’re dealing with the wrong people

Old 17 July 2020, 12:46 AM   #58
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
This scam works so well and so often and it is EASY for the perps.

"WIRE FUNDS requests" should ALWAYS send up a warning flag. It is just safer to be suspicious than sorry. When I see "wire" I simply move on and give no more thought to it.
Almost no way to recover those funds.

Seems these types of scams will likely go on forever.

Even some of the more experienced members have some close to being ripped off under certain circumstances, as they have reported.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:51 AM   #59
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post

When I see "wire" I simply move on and give no more thought to it..

Really? You wouldn’t send a wire to DavidSW? Matt Bain? HQMilton? LunarOyster? These dudes are safer than WellFargo. As they say, “wires don’t defraud people, people defraud people.”

Old 17 July 2020, 01:04 AM   #60
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Really? You wouldn’t send a wire to DavidSW? Matt Bain? HQMilton? LunarOyster? These dudes are safer than WellFargo. As they say, “wires don’t defraud people, people defraud people.”

Agreed. Wires are very permanent but their is 0 risk when you are dealing with someone that is trusted in the industry.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote