The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2020, 12:30 AM   #31
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Buying a pre-owned watch is a huge risk as there are some pretty convincing fake watches and frankenwatches out there. Even popular watch YouTuber Horology House got caught recently with selling a fake Rolex. Unless you can 100% authenticate the watch by taking off the back and have somebody fully examine all the components, then I would stay away from buying used. Just because the dial looks real, that does not mean the entire watch is authentic.

The risk is not worth the reward. Even honest sellers with good intentions can unknowingly sell a watch with non-authentic Rolex parts because they do not always open the watch and validate everything themselves.

And finally, we see many posts here of people who wired money and never received the watch. Again, stay away from that as well. My advice: buy new, pay with credit card and feel confident that what you bought is the real deal.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:13 AM   #32
MB_UK
"TRF" Member

Apologies for the delay in responses - I am responding but every post I make has to be authorised by the mods before it gets put up. This is also causing my replies to sometimes jump up into the middle of the thread due to the time it was posted.

Thanks,

Mike
MB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 02:02 AM   #33
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_UK View Post
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some advice before hopefully buying my first ever Rolex. I've never really been in a financial position to justify buying a Rolex before although I have spent the last 10 years looking at them online and any dealership windows I pass. I have saved pretty hard over the last few years along with selling some of my Scotty Cameron putter collection (I am a PGA Professional) and think I am now in a position to finally purchase something I have always wanted! I'm based in the UK, 33 years old and my only knowledge of Rolex's is through reviews and videos online. Originally I always wanted to have a ss Submariner (I prefer the newer 'chunkier' model). However if my budget was bigger I would love a yg daytona with leather or rubber strap. I'm really looking for help regarding what I should be looking out for - best models, the importance of original box/papers, condition and if it's been polished, market values etc? My budget is around the £10,000 mark and I plan on it being my daily watch. I guess it's a very open ended question but any advice you guys have for a complete beginner would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, Mike.
Hi Mike, glad to have you here. I am a big fan of golf and have been following the PGA Tour (and some European PGA events) since around 2012. I absolutely love watching golf contested on the courses in the UK. Can't wait for golf to resume in June.

Regarding the watch, I would strongly encourage you to focus on an AD, or only with the most trustworthy of the trusted UK sellers. I believe some names are listed elsewhere in this thread. I also think you should go with a Sub ceramic bezel (date or non-date), or a GMT II ceramic bezel (any bezel variation you can find: LN, BLNR, or BLRO). Either watch (Sub or GMT) will be more than visually stunning, both will be bombproof for daily wear, and both will be less noticeable (in a good way) than a PM (precious metal) piece. Btw, I have absolutely *nothing* against PM watches; I owned 2 for a while. Just don't think it should be your first Rolex. Maybe later on. Anyway, try to get the newest example you can find. A 20-30 year-old watch will almost definitely need servicing.

Good luck. -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:46 AM   #34
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Have you thought about say a 3 year old Sub Bluesie, maybe a good compromise.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 06:44 AM   #35
MB_UK
"TRF" Member

Update - I have secured my first ever Rolex!

After emailing just about every dealership I could find and being told they are not available and waiting lists are closed, I eventually found one dealership able to secure me a 126711CHNR. I am paying a 50% deposit tomorrow and the watch will be sent to the dealership as soon as the lockdown restrictions have been listed.

I really think it is the perfect watch for what I am looking for, the main reason I had ruled it out was the £15-16k used price tag most places are asking here in the UK.

I had to stretch my budget but I'm still over the moon! I love the colour combination and think the rose gold works beautifully on the watch. Can't wait to have the watch in person.

Thanks again for all the input, I'm glad you all talked me into getting a larger more practical/versatile piece to hopefully enjoy for many years to come.

Thanks,

Mike
MB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:44 AM   #36
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Be careful, the double quickset didnt come until the 18238 model which I believe debuted in 1989.
Sometimes I reconsider wearing my 18038 just because this reason I can’t be arsed
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 10:02 AM   #37
Jim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick responses and advice.

The main places I've been looking have been watchfinder, chrono24 and eBay (UK).

Some of the DD's I've come across have a lot of stretching as you mention upsidedownbelt, and look very polished to my untrained eye.

I would prefer something that is in as good condition and as original as possible given my limited budget.

The smaller size is something that is of concern to me pearson1995 but my wrist is fairly small and I quite like the classic look of the 36mm.

I've come across one that I quite like the look of. I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts, but the title is:

'1987 Rolex Day-Date President 36mm Double Quickset 18K Yellow Gold Watch' - £10,750 on eBay (UK)

I really don't know how to tell if this is genuine, if the documentation / box are correct, and how original the condition is?

Thanks,

Mike
I personally would steer clear of ebay. That watch although has papers originated in Hong Kong. The seller looks to be a bit of a car-boot sales type person, but has good feedback. Requires cash, so would you hand over £10K and walk away with watch you know nothing about? Unlikely to get your money back if its a dud.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 10:13 AM   #38
Jim
"TRF" Member

If you're looking for a sub within your budget there's plenty of watches available within your budget.
This sub here for instance
https://www.officialwatches.com/coll...date-16610lv-4
They are good sellers and you'd get this for £10K easily with negotiation.
or this one
https://www.officialwatches.com/coll...mariner-114060
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 10:15 AM   #39
watchshot94
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36
Quote:

After emailing just about every dealership I could find and being told they are not available and waiting lists are closed, I eventually found one dealership able to secure me a 126711CHNR. I am paying a 50% deposit tomorrow and the watch will be sent to the dealership as soon as the lockdown restrictions have been listed.

I really think it is the perfect watch for what I am looking for, the main reason I had ruled it out was the £15-16k used price tag most places are asking here in the UK.

I had to stretch my budget but I'm still over the moon! I love the colour combination and think the rose gold works beautifully on the watch. Can't wait to have the watch in person.

Thanks again for all the input, I'm glad you all talked me into getting a larger more practical/versatile piece to hopefully enjoy for many years to come.

Thanks,

Mike

Congrats!
watchshot94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 10:56 AM   #40
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:

Thanks,

Mike

Nice! I think that was a good choice. Enjoy it!
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 11:41 AM   #41
cdmorenot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Newbie looking for some advice from the experts!

Edit, congrats on your new watch!

My original response was that you were not sure what you wanted and that you should wait and it would “come to you” and it looks like it did !

Congrats !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk