The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 7 March 2020, 05:59 PM   #1
razzz
"TRF" Member

Glidelock bracelet on 2004 Explorer II

Not a very remarkable or original mod but I added a 97200 Glidelock bracelet to my 2004 Explorer II. The milled weight of the clasp acts as a sort of counterbalance to the head of the watch, and it helps keep it centered on the wrist. Coupled with the fine adjustment feature, it considerably adds to the wearability of the piece. I haven't found a reason to take it off, which is exactly what I am looking for in a tool watch.

I was sensitive to the fact that I would lose the sublime lightness of the stamped clasp and hollow center links, but the fit is in fact much better with the Glidelock, so I don't miss it.

I would highly recommend looking into the 97200 for anyone considering an enhancement. It greatly adds the the all day wearability of the piece.

Please feel free to add your opinions of your favorite bracelets!

razzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 03:00 AM   #2
z_blue
"TRF" Member

Hi Razzz,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 114060 Rolex Sub with the 97200 glidelock bracelet that I could swap onto a 16570.... two questions for you:

1. What watch tool do you use to change the bracelets and is it difficult to do?

2. The 3 pictures you added are not viewable on any browser for me. Any chance you could re-upload the pictures of your watch modification?

Thanks so much
z_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 04:42 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_blue View Post
Hi Razzz,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 114060 Rolex Sub with the 97200 glidelock bracelet that I could swap onto a 16570.... two questions for you:

1. What watch tool do you use to change the bracelets and is it difficult to do?

2. The 3 pictures you added are not viewable on any browser for me. Any chance you could re-upload the pictures of your watch modification?

Thanks so much
If your 16570 did not come with solid end links to begin with then a full glidelock bracelet will not mount to the case. The only thing you would be able to do is swap out the clasp only. To uncrew the screws in the bracelet, you need a 1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver.
Old 23 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #4
z_blue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
If your 16570 did not come with solid end links to begin with then a full glidelock bracelet will not mount to the case. The only thing you would be able to do is swap out the clasp only. To uncrew the screws in the bracelet, you need a 1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver.

That’s helpful but I haven’t purchased the 16570 yet. I’m looking for one with solid end links like you say and a no holes case....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
z_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 02:33 PM   #5
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz View Post
Not a very remarkable or original mod but I added a 97200 Glidelock bracelet to my 2004 Explorer II. The milled weight of the clasp acts as a sort of counterbalance to the head of the watch, and it helps keep it centered on the wrist. Coupled with the fine adjustment feature, it considerably adds to the wearability of the piece. I haven't found a reason to take it off, which is exactly what I am looking for in a tool watch.

I was sensitive to the fact that I would lose the sublime lightness of the stamped clasp and hollow center links, but the fit is in fact much better with the Glidelock, so I don't miss it.

I would highly recommend looking into the 97200 for anyone considering an enhancement. It greatly adds the the all day wearability of the piece.

Please feel free to add your opinions of your favorite bracelets!

Hi, I would love to see a pic of this. My X2 16570 is coming and I'm thinking I may not like the lighter weight bracelet compared to my SubC 11460.

Thank you!

CJ
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 10:33 AM   #6
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Well, I finally finished my project. Turned out to be a a frankenstein project but it worked out in the end.

INITIAL:
Rolex Explorer II - 16570 with OEM bracelet (hollow links) and clasp.

Purchased Rolex 97200 bracelet from a Sub-Date with damaged Glidelock clasp.

Purchased Rolex polished center link 78200 clasp (normally on a Rolex GMT model) with Glidelock. Now, the 78200 bracelet didn't normally come with Glidelock so I think someone put in the Glidelock. It works fine, slightly loose and doesn't snap shut as cleanly and smoothly as my newer SubC-ND but no biggie.

INSTALLATION:
(1) Replaced the Explorer II bracelet with the 97200 bracelet.

(2) Replaced the damaged clasp with the 78200 clasp w/Glidelock.

(3) Now this is where I had some problems because the 78200 clasp uses a different size link screw. So I had to take two links from the previous Explorer II bracelet (the ones with hollow centers) and attach them to both ends of the 78200 clasp (the link screws fit) and then attach the remaining 97200 bracelet.

CONCLUSION:
So this is what I have: Explorer II (16570) with 97200 solid link bracelet, 78200 Clasp w/Glidelock, and two hollow center links at each end of the 78200 Clasp.

I didn't like the hollow-center links from the OEM Explorer II (16570) bracelet; it made the watch feel tinny and non-Rolex-like. The 97200 bracelet gives this watch a nice heft and feel that I enjoy on my SubC-ND.

PROJECT - SUCCESS!

See pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (151.6 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (191.6 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (196.9 KB, 345 views)
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 07:05 AM   #7
mrpaw
"TRF" Member

Ugh so jealous! I got a case with holes and now I'm wearing mine on a set of straps.
mrpaw is offline   Reply With Quote