The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 12:29 AM   #1
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Easy link

Hello,

I’ve owned, and worn, my DJ for over two weeks now.

Oyster bracelet, and didn’t take any links out at the AD but just had them shift the Easylink setting to the tightest. This meant that the space within/under the clasp area was fully taken up with an entire link.

Ultimately the watch ended up being a little loose, so today I had a single link taken out.

The link that was removed has got slight scuffing on both polished sides and also a little marring within the pcl part of the link. Im presuming it’s because there is a sandblast effect in the inner side of the clasp which it sits against/within and has rubbed against the link?

I tend to avoid scratches where possible but I’m certainly not someone who would polish a watch when I discover scratches as I think they are inevitable (within reason).

My question is, has anyone else come across this before? I don’t feel it’s a design flaw as I don’t see any other way to remedy it, but just surprised a little.

I think it’s stood out more with this piece, not only as it has pcl’s, but also because the other watches of mine have had links taken out at point of purchase without wearing first, rather than discovering this when removing a link or two after having worn the watch.

Thanks
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #2
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I get exactly this on all my PCL / gold watches from DateJust’s to subs and Daytona’s.

On my gold bracelets I get a blackening on the inside where it’s brushed and rubs. On the outside, I get a line where the bracelet clasp opens onto the PCL. I also get a scuffing on the end link into the bracelet where the easy link is operated. I don’t think the signs of wear on a polished end link is unavoidable.

Metal on metal is always going to create a cloudy dull finish especially on polished finishes.

I notice it much less on brushed links, if at all.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 01:17 AM   #3
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I get exactly this on all my PCL / gold watches from DateJust’s to subs and Daytona’s.

On my gold bracelets I get a blackening on the inside where it’s brushed and rubs. On the outside, I get a line where the bracelet clasp opens onto the PCL. I also get a scuffing on the end link into the bracelet where the easy link is operated. I don’t think the signs of wear on a polished end link is unavoidable.

Metal on metal is always going to create a cloudy dull finish especially on polished finishes.

I notice it much less on brushed links, if at all.
You’ve hit the nail on the head - ‘cloudy dull finish’. That’s exactly what the polished centre surface looks like, and then also scuffs on each side of the link that I had removed.

Was just surprised it happened within a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Old 12 August 2020, 03:35 AM   #4
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

Happens all the time. When the watch goes in for service, RSC will polish the bracelet up new.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:48 AM   #5
noshame
"TRF" Member

I've used Easylink on my fairly new 126710BLNR and I can confirm that the link that rests hidden away under the clasp does have scratches on the polished sides due to the exact reason you mentioned. I think this is the "norm" for most watches with Easylink. Don't let it bother you - this is really one of those times where NOBODY will ever see it since it's hidden away. Enjoy your DJ!
noshame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:20 AM   #6
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo View Post
Happens all the time. When the watch goes in for service, RSC will polish the bracelet up new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
I've used Easylink on my fairly new 126710BLNR and I can confirm that the link that rests hidden away under the clasp does have scratches on the polished sides due to the exact reason you mentioned. I think this is the "norm" for most watches with Easylink. Don't let it bother you - this is really one of those times where NOBODY will ever see it since it's hidden away. Enjoy your DJ!
Thanks guys, good to know. Will go back to enjoying it.

Old 12 August 2020, 05:14 AM   #7
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Any contact with the watch will result in some scratching. Good thing you look at the dial and not the clasp!
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 11:09 AM   #8
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Excellent posts concerning Easylink!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !