The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2019, 01:30 PM   #61
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Those warlords have the coolest watches.
This made me lol.
nuwildcat928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 01:38 PM   #62
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
1) You paid a deposit.
2) They got caught for illegal conduct under their Rolex AD contract .

Two mistakes
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 02:00 PM   #63
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

sucks for sure... but no one has any idea if and/or when an AD might lose their Rolex license.

That said i wouldn't leave $5k on a $9.25k watch

Although i have never been asked to leave a deposit, i'm not usually inclined to leave one because the AD can't guarantee when i will get the watch. that said If i was forced to i prob wouldn't have a problem leaving 10%, at most
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 02:13 PM   #64
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

OP, I can understand your frustration. Well, best of luck acquiring that watch from somewhere else. By the way, who is the former AD? Wondering if they may be holding other deposits.
Old 21 July 2019, 02:44 PM   #65
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I feel your pain OP, very frustrating situation to be in. Like some have suggested, don't sell your watches, instead, enjoy them, the right BLRO opportunity will present itself, eventually

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 03:06 PM   #66
Rolex_Bob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k GMT Master II
I know it sux and this whole supply thing is a joke but at least you got your deposit back.
Plenty of people have outlaid deposits (and full payments) in all walks of life only to have the retailer go broke and the administrator/liquidator says bad luck!
I've paid a deposit for an SD43 which the AD has promised by December 2020.
From now on I will keep saving longer and buy a couple of 18K watches.
Not much difference in the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (34.2 KB, 391 views)
Rolex_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 03:12 PM   #67
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Sorry to hear of your Rolex AD frustrations. I think a lot of folks can relate. I too have been on a list since March of 2018 for the elusive BLRO, but I'm way, way down the list. Greed has ruined the hobby (at least for now). It seems to have started with the DaytonaC and spread to even Datejusts recently so I've heard here. The whole thing is just so absurd. I've stopped going into ADs since it usually is a dismal experience. It's basically a runaway train. Maybe Rolex pulled the AD status of your store since they got caught selling to Greys (?). They definitely would have had your BLRO in hand if you were #3. Give it a week or two to chill out before doing anything rash. It's nice to appreciate what you already have, actually for all aspects of life. Make sure you get your deposit back and good luck. Cheers!

Started with DaytonaC? Seriously? No, the 116520 was every but as hard to get. Where have you been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 03:32 PM   #68
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
My AD is retiring at the end of the year. He has been great to me over the last couple of years and I will be giving up with Rolex then. He is a gent and I will be sad to se him go
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 06:07 PM   #69
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I’m so happy to have three watches I love and enjoy, obviously I’d love the latest and greatest but am glad I don’t have to put up with this kind of BS and let’s be honest you get the new one one year - come April next year another one comes out!

My next watch will be a day date and hopefully when the time comes it will not be hard to get.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 06:20 PM   #70
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
Boo hoo.

Take a deep breath and realize your a whining little a little baby over not being able to buy your luxury watch.

Go visit a third world country and live with the locals for 11 hours. Get some perspective and grow up.
Professional internet troll?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 06:29 PM   #71
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
99.9x% of the world would have made the same comment. I know it went through my mind. Sometimes I can resist the impulse to scream, "Grow up!", sometimes I can't.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 06:30 PM   #72
Rolex_Bob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmm, I don't think so. He has 299 posts.
Old 21 July 2019, 06:37 PM   #73
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_Bob View Post
Hmm, I don't think so. He has 299 posts.
Hi Bob/Larry,

Check the ‘Your Rolex and your profession’ thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=5220

No big deal, just one more for my list.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 06:46 PM   #74
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Sorry to read this. Also made a deposit for a BLRO last year. ETA of the watch is somewhere in 2022. Maybe the jeweller is gone or lost the Rolex AD status by that time. But for me the only way to get a BLRO at MSRP, so I need to have patience and take a little risk.
If you are a Rolex-only guy the situation sucks, but I have moved on to other brands. Now waiting for a SS AP Royal Oak and a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Barakuda. The wait will not be years but a few months. The watch itch needs to be scratched .
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:06 PM   #75
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Bob/Larry,

I stand corrected.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:24 PM   #76
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Such is life.

I like the current state of the market.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:35 PM   #77
Rolex_Bob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Bob/Larry,

Ok thanks for that.😀😀
Old 21 July 2019, 07:51 PM   #78
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
Such is life.

I like the current state of the market.

So do I, a lot of people do actually. Just doesn’t really seem worthy of a thread though.

The frustration sucks, just got to adjust one’s perspective to deal with it.

Same with all unpleasant situations not within our control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:53 PM   #79
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I hear you this whole situation really sucks...
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:23 PM   #80
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

This whole not able to get a hot Rolex SS model is a catch-22.
Some people want them so bad because they cannot get them. If they would be able to get them they would have no interest in these models.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm sort of glad you feel this way and won't go grey now as that shows this was a hobby to you, if you were a mercenary you would wait for however long and drive to every AD under the sun in order to make some $$$.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:51 PM   #82
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Same issue elsewhere and I’ve learnt to appreciate other brands more these days. It’s a blessing
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 09:26 PM   #83
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
A respectable ad could take a deposit and fulfill their side of the deal clearly i didn’t get that deal. Yet i am still getting my money back so while I could have used it to buy cookies , invest it or bury it in my yard I don’t see an issue w a deposit per say

Same here. As long as you get it back.

My AD is building their in-store Rolex boutique at the moment. They are putting the investment in because they want to keep selling the brand. My Sky Dweller deposit signifies that I'm equally serious - in my own small way. I have known them for 20 years. They've been on their current site for over 100 years. I trust them in as much as it is possible to. I wouldn't behave like this with an unknown.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:20 PM   #84
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

The new CEO really knows his marketing strategy.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:03 AM   #85
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
OP, I can understand your frustration. Well, best of luck acquiring that watch from somewhere else. By the way, who is the former AD? Wondering if they may be holding other deposits.

They are holding other deposits and some very large ones as they mentioned yesterday . I will give you a hint it is in a state that is very horizontal /flat in shape where tons love country music
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:08 AM   #86
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
This whole not able to get a hot Rolex SS model is a catch-22.
Some people want them so bad because they cannot get them. If they would be able to get them they would have no interest in these models.

A catch 22 indeed and also a huge opportunity for people to get screwed by fakes. I will guarantee that circulating right now are people that paid insane premiums that eventually will discover they bought fakes .
So even if I was inclined to go all in that is one thing that would hold me back...
Old 22 July 2019, 12:19 AM   #87
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
I was recently asked for a deposit on a CHNR with no guarantee of delivery. I politely declined.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:21 AM   #88
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone who contributed and for the record I don’t need anyone to feel sorry for me since we all know this is clearly a first world problem....

The issue here is that it drives away (at least from Rolex) the ones truly passionate about watches. I have been having a hard time discovering other brands that fit my lifestyle..... I have tried Omega IWC GS Seiko Micros and still have many and one could argue too many but in terms of size , look , versatility robustness Rolex is hard to beat or equal ...

Some have asked if I am a Rolex only guy and no, not at all and frankly when I started I was completely anti Rolex because of the so called “stigma” I felt was too heavy.... to realize 5 years ago that it was silly.
So off I went to acquire my first a exp II followed by a few others

To give perspective here are my other trophies that I will take the time to appreciate more ....at least for the time being

Old 22 July 2019, 12:24 AM   #89
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Sorry to read this. Also made a deposit for a BLRO last year. ETA of the watch is somewhere in 2022. Maybe the jeweller is gone or lost the Rolex AD status by that time. But for me the only way to get a BLRO at MSRP, so I need to have patience and take a little risk.
If you are a Rolex-only guy the situation sucks, but I have moved on to other brands. Now waiting for a SS AP Royal Oak and a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Barakuda. The wait will not be years but a few months. The watch itch needs to be scratched .
I've also got a Barakuda on order! Awesome watch!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:37 AM   #90
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
So this isn’t the first time we have heard of unavailable watches from Rolex since it is a daily report by watch lovers and speculators alike, going to ADs leaving empty handed ....

My story is the one of someone passionate with watches (I even put some together on my own)but ready to simply call it quits with this enormous bs that is the current Rolex market.

So over 1.5 years ago in March, 3 days post Basel I put my name down w 5K cash at my local AD for the elusive blro. I was told like most that it would take a while but was #3 on their list (which was true since I ended up seeing their books later on that year). the first year the store sold at least 2 blro so I was told yup buddy next one is for you even though I was a tad suspicious and this was in Nov of last year ......so like a good puppy I waited until today.

Well, today here I go to check in and to my dismay the Rolex displays are all gone (fancy ones they were) and replaced by a ficus tree and a couch .....my suspicion is they sold out the back door and got caught

I start chatting w the head oncho which confirms that THEY just dropped Rolex since apparently they were too difficult to work with .....doubt it but whatev , gut punched and crotch kicked I asked what now? ....don’t worry a check is written and on its way to you ....k sounds good but this blows.

So here I am like a complete dumb a$$ after 1.5 year and some change waiting (some had been apparently on a list for 3 years for a Daytona and had paid in full) being told that hey sorry bud no soup for you. So I call another local ad the last one around here and they say sure but it will be five years ...fast forward an hour and after discussing w another ad 3 hours away i get to find out that the one that just told me 5 year wait is also losing its status. WTF...

So where I am at now is wanting to say F this hobby I really don’t need this crap in my life . Yeah yeah yeah go grey pay twice as much for something that isn’t a 18k product no thanks . Not a principle issue or a virtue moment simply is I work too hard to throw money out of the window.

So I pick myself up called two ads in my state that require in person deposits but they are three hours away one way. More but punch, but I am sorry i am not driving 3 hours one way to pay full deposit for a watch I might see in three years. It is a watch not a kidney.

So imho this is intended to be a fun hobby with folks that care more about the watch than making a few bucks out of it . The speculators have essentially ruined it for me.
Yeah I can go to other brands I experienced omega iwc ...and I am not interested in them anymore. Yeah I could go truly upmarket with VC but in all honesty what I want to do now is grab my decent collection and sell it all.

Maybe I will feel differently in the morning but when a hobby becomes a hassle to purchase an item for 10 grand where you have to drive 6 hours to possibly see a watch in three years or when you get screwed by your Ad then it is idiotic at best and insulting at worse .

End of rant
Lesson to all. Dont put down money for a promise.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote