The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2020, 11:37 AM   #1
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Choosing A New Watch is Hard

I am looking to add a new watch and finding it hard to choose, especially when you cannot try them on in person (due lack of Rolex availability and also COVID closing stores).

My current main two watches are a Rolex Daytona SS White 116520 and a Tag Link Calibre 36 (El Primero) Black Chrono. Love both!

Looking to add a dual time zone (I do travel some) along with a touch of color (other watches are black/white face).
Budget up to $15k. Plan to purchase at retail via an AD. I am on lists already, have a couple leads but am patient.

Been looking at the following:

CHNR 126711
- Adds GMT
- Chocolate in bezel for color (more natural)
- Rose gold and two tone band add variety

BLNR 126710
- Adds GMT
- Blue in bezel for color
- Jubilee band for variety (vs Oyster)

SKY-DWELLER BLUE 326934
- Adds GMT & Annual Calendar
- Blue preferred (but impossible to get :/ )

Also fond of these, but not on top of list.

YM 40 BLUE
- Love the blue dial, but no GMT
- Would purchase outside of AD, since cheaper.

TUDOR GMT
- Love the design and colors (better than BLRO), but thickness is a concern
- Can likely be picked up later, if desired.

SUB ND
- No GMT or Color. (my two current goals)
- I will add at some point, given it's a classic. My AD can obtain one now.

My thoughts:
I am fascinated by the Sky-dweller complication. Just unsure on wearability size. Also less sporty (classic vs prof). Blue dial is preferred, but just impossible at an AD currently.

Gut says a GMT Master II would be a better overall size and its sportiness likely fits better with my daily lifestyle. BLNR provides the blue bezel color which I like. Jubilee bracelet give it a different feel. Hard to find BLNR, but if patient obtainable at an AD.

An AD offered the CHNR recently as an alternative. Initially not a two tone fan, but the CHNR is really growing on me and may now be my top preference. The rose gold with chocolate dial are just a fantastic combo. Uncertain whether it would be as flexible for casual daily wear as BLNR. Price also a bit higher, so debating whether it's worth it. Also, purchasing for long term...so worry the coloring or two-tone may go in/out of style.

Of course, my other option is to buy two of my 'fond of' watches for under by budget. YM & Tudor GMT or SUB ND & Tudor GMT. Decisions ..decisions.

Figured I'd ask for some thoughts from those who own these watches. My wife prefers CHNR, then BLNR, with SKY last. She also likes the Sub ND. Ultimately, my personal choice. Just wish I could try them all on in an AD and see which sings to me. Maybe someday.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
BLNR is a good choice In my opinion. But maybe consider the oyster band
Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I’m not a TT fan, however like most things in life there are exceptions. TT YM Chocolate dial and the CHNR are two TT’s I like and would actually purchase (after knocking a few others off the list). The benefit of the CHNR is it’s attainable, whereas the GMT’s and SkyD (as you know) are impossible to get at an AD. That said, a blue dial YM and a Tudor GMT would be a terrific pair.

There are a lot of interesting GMT’s out there, Omega and Panerai have good options that could also pair well with a YM. Grand Seiko too.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: RG Day-Date
CHNR as you already have the ss Daytona. Will add GMT and an amazing two tone variation.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I agree, you need to somehow try a SkyDweller on your wrist to see if the feel is right. I didn’t bond with it but it may be perfect for you.

40 mm Rolex are the sweet spot for me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:13 PM   #6
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Sounds like you and the wife are both on the same page with the CHNR (would also be my choice), so I say go for it
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Go for the Rolex BLNR or CHNR, its a no brainer.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Choosing A New Watch is Hard

The CHNR is really quite beautiful in person. I was offered one in Jan along with a SS SkyD with black dial. Neither sang to me. But the CHNR was sure flirting.

I have a BLNR on oyster and that fills my GMT needs and a good daily wear with the color you described you were looking for.

Good luck with search. FWIW the watch is what YOU will wear not your wife, but after 30 years I’ve come to trust my wife’s judgment on watches and never gone wrong with the gifts she’s given me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:41 PM   #9
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
BLNR...such a versatile watch. They also seem to be relatively attainable from an AD...I got one in 3 months and seems most people get them in less than a year wait.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nearly impossible for someone else to answer for you, but I suggest the BLNR. As you state the the jubilee and the blue make it a standout. Your likelihood of a SkyD blue is infinitesimal and, I know this is heresy around here, but I find brown and pink pretty terrible for the long term.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:22 PM   #11
campfire
"TRF" Member

BLNR or CHNR for me.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 01:39 PM   #12
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 02:26 PM   #13
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
If you can stretch for it I would actually go for Sky Dweller. It has a GMT function plus the added practicality of an annual calendar. My 2nd choice would be GMT BLNR but perhaps on an Oyster bracelet. I've seen some pics where members have had the polished center links satin finished and it looks great. Sorry I know you said new watch, but I'm just not too fond of the BLNR with jubilee combination. I do like it on the BLRO however.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 02:30 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
CHNR is an 11/10.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:24 PM   #15
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

My vote is for the BLNR. It can be dressed up or dressed down while maintaining a sporty elegance throughout. The Jubilee bracelet on the GMT II is something else, comfort second to none and the look is killer. Get it from the AD, save 4.5/5K, save the cash and put it towards the next one.. or buy some stock and try to grow it.. and then put it towards the next one..

jyhwker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:52 PM   #16
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I would get the Rootbeer. As good as the pictures are, it is amazing in person.
Will be my next purchase. Good luck!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Ihatecheese
Banned

Nice watches. The Skydweller is quite big.
The CHNR is the one you could buy in a shop fairly easily once they open and you're confident they you won't get sick. Otherwise you're going to be paying a lot grey to get hold of one, due to the current popularity of the models.

When I travel with work I don't use a GMT watch. I feel it's more gimmick unless you don't carry a phone, fading memory or can't set your watch if somewhere longer than a day or two. It's a romantic idea though.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 04:01 PM   #18
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Try on a skydweller, I didn’t like it’s size. Otherwise I vote CHNR~
Old 2 May 2020, 04:52 PM   #19
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Most realistic at AD retail would be the CHNR
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 04:55 PM   #20
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecheese View Post
The CHNR is the one you could buy in a shop fairly easily once they open and you're confident they you won't get sick. Otherwise you're going to be paying a lot grey to get hold of one, due to the current popularity of the models.

When I travel with work I don't use a GMT watch. I feel it's more gimmick unless you don't carry a phone, fading memory or can't set your watch if somewhere longer than a day or two. It's a romantic idea though.
For me the GMT function is best when the two time zones are Europe and South East Asia. Good to know the time difference at a glance.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 05:10 PM   #21
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
I am looking to add a new watch and finding it hard to choose, especially when you cannot try them on in person (due lack of Rolex availability and also COVID closing stores).

My current main two watches are a Rolex Daytona SS White 116520 and a Tag Link Calibre 36 (El Primero) Black Chrono. Love both!

Looking to add a dual time zone (I do travel some) along with a touch of color (other watches are black/white face).
Budget up to $15k. Plan to purchase at retail via an AD. I am on lists already, have a couple leads but am patient.

Been looking at the following:

CHNR 126711
- Adds GMT
- Chocolate in bezel for color (more natural)
- Rose gold and two tone band add variety

BLNR 126710
- Adds GMT
- Blue in bezel for color
- Jubilee band for variety (vs Oyster)

SKY-DWELLER BLUE 326934
- Adds GMT & Annual Calendar
- Blue preferred (but impossible to get :/ )

Also fond of these, but not on top of list.

YM 40 BLUE
- Love the blue dial, but no GMT
- Would purchase outside of AD, since cheaper.

TUDOR GMT
- Love the design and colors (better than BLRO), but thickness is a concern
- Can likely be picked up later, if desired.

SUB ND
- No GMT or Color. (my two current goals)
- I will add at some point, given it's a classic. My AD can obtain one now.

My thoughts:
I am fascinated by the Sky-dweller complication. Just unsure on wearability size. Also less sporty (classic vs prof). Blue dial is preferred, but just impossible at an AD currently.

Gut says a GMT Master II would be a better overall size and its sportiness likely fits better with my daily lifestyle. BLNR provides the blue bezel color which I like. Jubilee bracelet give it a different feel. Hard to find BLNR, but if patient obtainable at an AD.

An AD offered the CHNR recently as an alternative. Initially not a two tone fan, but the CHNR is really growing on me and may now be my top preference. The rose gold with chocolate dial are just a fantastic combo. Uncertain whether it would be as flexible for casual daily wear as BLNR. Price also a bit higher, so debating whether it's worth it. Also, purchasing for long term...so worry the coloring or two-tone may go in/out of style.

Of course, my other option is to buy two of my 'fond of' watches for under by budget. YM & Tudor GMT or SUB ND & Tudor GMT. Decisions ..decisions.

Figured I'd ask for some thoughts from those who own these watches. My wife prefers CHNR, then BLNR, with SKY last. She also likes the Sub ND. Ultimately, my personal choice. Just wish I could try them all on in an AD and see which sings to me. Maybe someday.
CHNR or SD for me
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:12 PM   #22
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
BLNR seems most versatile.

I personally prefer the SkyDweller but that’s because I already have all the others.

If I only had a Daytona and was looking to add a versatile travel watch: BLNR.

Easy.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:20 PM   #23
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
BLNR I’d say.
I wouldn’t over think it, you can always change throughout the years.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:21 PM   #24
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecheese View Post

I disagree about the GMT function being a gimmick.

I travel all the time (outside Covid) and work across timezones and it’s just so convenient to quickly glance at your wrist to see what time it is for the people on the other side of the phone, or at home.

GMT II even better because can have 3 timezones when turning the bezel.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:44 PM   #25
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
CHNR or SkyD

I'm not a big TT fan, but the CHNR just works. SkyD a special piece and I love the size.
If it were a black dial SkyD then I'd be going with that.

Usual caveats: don't settle, be patient (which you said you are), and attempt to try an example of each if possible or something close to it... appreciate this won't be easy.
Old 2 May 2020, 07:03 PM   #26
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Don’t settle, as the above poster said is great advice. I’m a huge advocate of the sky dweller I absolutely love it. Whilst I’ve never owned the other two watches I’ve tried both on. With the blnr and I own the 116710LN the steel gmt. Actually tried the chnr on yesterday and I hated it thought the bezel looked cheap and with the rose gold rather than yellow gold it’s even worse. However it’s personal preference. With the BLNR you’ll have to remember that you’ll be buying a jubilee strap rather than an oyster strap so how does that fit in for you?

If you’re set in buying from an AD the sky dweller is going to be out of the question really so you would have to be open to buy grey, thus putting more money into your budget.
I actually like your third option. You could buy a sub ND and a yacht master aswell for your budget more or less. Two fantastic watches and it grows the collection nicely. Maybe by the time your sky dweller arrived you will have enjoyed a few years with these two and have been able to set aside some more money. Good luck whatever you do it’s a nice problem to have!
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 07:09 PM   #27
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This one

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 08:44 PM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The Sky Dweller is a beautiful watch. It wears big for a Rolex but isn't gigantic. It looks fine on my skinny wrist but the decision must be yours and yours only.

The complications are clever, both for their implementation and the ease of use. The only thing I would say about the Sky Dweller is that the reference time zone isn't easy to read at a glance. It's legible, but quite small. A degree of contrast would help. I think that of the SS models, the white dial has the easiest to read reference time wheel.

I also have the TT CHNR. It's a watch that didn't remotely interest me until I saw one in the metal. After that, it was only a matter of time. Rolex really nailed it. And it's smaller, and the reference time is easy to read, and you can do three time zones on it, and it's not an AD Unicorn.

Two watches that couldn't be more different (by Roles standards) yet are impossible for me to chose between. If you don't want to go grey (if you do, the blue SS Sky Dweller is a joke) a CHNR will be on your wrist relatively quickly. When the ADs open again.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 08:47 PM   #29
RLXFRM
Banned

Sky dweller is my first choice
CHNR is second choice.
RLXFRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 09:45 PM   #30
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The BLNR on the Jubilee bracelet is a great watch and very comfortable. The Root Beer does nothing for me as RG does not work for me. I have owned the Sky-Dweller in PM and SS and it is a cool watch but I could not warm up to the dial and I own two DD's and it seemed somewhat redundant in appearance. The ND Submariner is a classic and a cornerstone to my collection. Add a Tudor Black Bay GMT and that is a cool combination. In the end it is about personal preference and availability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200312_093758 (002).jpg (226.4 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 20200327_124128 (002).jpg (226.7 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_120415 (002).jpg (216.8 KB, 301 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote