The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2020, 06:33 AM   #1
MB_UK
"TRF" Member

Newbie looking for some advice from the experts!

Hi everyone, I was hoping for some advice before hopefully buying my first ever Rolex.

Apologies in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section, I have just joined the forum and am a bit overwhelmed (in a good way) by all the topics and information.

I've never really been in a financial position to justify buying a Rolex before although I have spent the last 10 years looking at them online and any dealership windows I pass. I have saved pretty hard over the last few years along with selling some of my Scotty Cameron putter collection (I am a PGA Professional) and think I am now in a position to finally purchase something I have always wanted!

I'm based in the UK, 33 years old and my only knowledge of Rolex's is through reviews and videos online.

Originally I always wanted to have a ss Submariner (I prefer the newer 'chunkier' model). However if my budget was bigger I would love a yg daytona with leather or rubber strap.

Recently I have really been taken by the Day Dates and think this might be the best option for me. Again yg and the 36mm version. I really like yellow gold and it seems like the older model Day Dates offer good value compared to the newer 40mm model. The difference in price between newer and older versions of other Rolex models seems far smaller from what I have noticed.

I'm really looking for help regarding what I should be looking out for - best models, the importance of original box/papers, condition and if it's been polished, market values etc?

My budget is around the £10,000 mark and I plan on it being my daily watch.

I guess it's a very open ended question but any advice you guys have for a complete beginner would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
MB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 07:49 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Newbie looking for some advice from the experts!

This is a difficult question to answer as we are not you.

My advice is to go to the UK equivalent of a Tourneau or even Watchfinder. Go to the preowned section and try on all the models that you like. You will be able to make a much better decision that way. Good luck
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 07:55 AM   #3
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

You seem to have done a fair bit of research already.

My advice when it comes to watches, don’t settle, get what you really want, even if that means waiting a bit longer.

You want an everyday watch, a Daytona wouldn’t have a date, would that bother you? A YG Sub would give you gold and date and a great everyday watch, especially as you said you like the bigger case of the new Rolex watches.

That’s my advice Good luck

Edit: a gold sub is double your budget... so if that’s just unrealistic, a Day date 36 is a good option, great value for money right now, but just be aware they are on the small side for today’s standards and if you are going to get one, make sure it’s genuine so buying from a trusted seller is important. If you see a DD36 at an amazing price, it probably is too good to be true. I would always try and get box and papers too.
Old 4 May 2020, 07:56 AM   #4
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
A lot of first time buyers come here and make reference to how older DD models are a good value compared to newer versions. This doesn’t make it a good first Rolex or daily wearer. They often need work, have a stretched out bracelet and based on age just don’t make a great one and only daily. Buy a Sub C, it’s a great daily and very tough.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:06 AM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
A lot of first time buyers come here and make reference to how older DD models are a good value compared to newer versions. This doesn’t make it a good first Rolex or daily wearer. They often need work, have a stretched out bracelet and based on age just don’t make a great one and only daily. Buy a Sub C, it’s a great daily and very tough.
sub is great but why buy one if you like a day date?

if you find a good one it'll last a while. they're a much better daily than most people think
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:07 AM   #6
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Welcome to TRF and yes, you have to try it on first but a YG DD36 is a solid choice although, at 36mm, it can be a bit small for some.

Not my pic

sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:13 AM   #7
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
sub is great but why buy one if you like a day date?

if you find a good one it'll last a while. they're a much better daily than most people think

Nothing wrong with a DD as a daily. The budget of the OP will require it to be fairly old. IMO a older DD isn’t a great one and only daily for a younger active person. A modern SS would much more suit the lifestyle.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:14 AM   #8
MB_UK
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick responses and advice.

The main places I've been looking have been watchfinder, chrono24 and eBay (UK).

Some of the DD's I've come across have a lot of stretching as you mention upsidedownbelt, and look very polished to my untrained eye.

I would prefer something that is in as good condition and as original as possible given my limited budget.

The smaller size is something that is of concern to me pearson1995 but my wrist is fairly small and I quite like the classic look of the 36mm.

I've come across one that I quite like the look of. I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts, but the title is:

'1987 Rolex Day-Date President 36mm Double Quickset 18K Yellow Gold Watch' - £10,750 on eBay (UK)

I really don't know how to tell if this is genuine, if the documentation / box are correct, and how original the condition is?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 08:33 AM   #9
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
You seem at a point where you are still very unsure.

What you need to do is figure it out on your own and NOT let anyone else tell you which model to get.

Suggestions, as many as you will receive, will only confound you further.

Check out your desired watches in person, if you can. You will eventually find the 'right' one for you.

In some cases (mine for example) this can take a lot of legwork and time.

Suggestions and photos just won't do it. Photo's in particular of arm-wrists shots should be avoided because the wide-angle close ups cause perspective distortion, and that can be very misleading to the viewer.

Good Luck!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:44 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I recommend trying a bunch of different models when things open back up. It’s really the only way to know what songs to you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:11 AM   #11
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Gold/steel submariner is my daily watch usually. Still pretty casual with a jumper etc and can dress up aswell. Sounds like it’ll fit in perfectly for you.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:20 AM   #12
Dahh
Banned

A Submariner is a classic watch, you can't go wrong with it In my opinion.
Dahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:49 AM   #13
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
with your budget and for a first rolex, I would probably not go for a day-date. size may be too small for you at 36mm and you need to know what you are doing when you shop vintage DD. you think you are getting good value with pursuing older references but it can lead you to a very frustrating path if you make the wrong choice. Non double quickset functionnality, badly stretched gold bracelet, unknown service history, getting scammed buying a replica (those watches were very popular in the 70s and 80s and were faked quite a bit), etc.
Also 36mm is a very outdated size for a day-date. it may have been cool when Lyndon B. Johsnon was in office but in 2020, people have mostly moved on to bigger and better things.
I will join other people on this thread and go for a ceramic sub (date or no date), use your clout as a PGA pro and try to rub shoulders with an AD. see where it leads you. otherwise find a reputable grey dealer in the UK and haggle a bit, you may be able to bring the price down in this buyer's market.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 10:10 AM   #14
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Also extend your research to the seller - you’ll need to very careful who you purchase from if you buy on eBay especially, but in any situation when buying non-AD. Can’t overstate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2020, 10:47 AM   #15
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
A 5 digit TT sub with blue dial.

Well within your budget in the UK including Box and papers
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 11:10 AM   #16
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

Few things OP...

1) What are your needs? Do you need a date function or are you going to rely on your phone? Do you actually have use for chronograph or you just like the looks of the Daytona?

2) Are you on tour regularly or also have a desk job? DD can take real world use but steel will be more resilient to everyday life.

3) Have you ever wore a Yellow gold watch? It's definitely not a under the radar color. And YG DD have serious gravitas.

4) If you can try on a 36mm watch when your AD situation allows. There are some that are not a fan of the size in the "modern" age whatever that means. But if your used to 40mm plus size watches, you might need to adjust to it. Personally I think 36mm is the classic size for DD and DJ but opinions vary. If you have a smaller wrist 36 is a non issue.

5) Dont be in a rush. Look at as many pics online and see the model you're thinking of in person if possible. Never buy a watch based on insufficient funds. Save up and get the watch you really want.

6) Have fun. Take a look at the Sub, SubDate, and YG Sub blue/black dial.
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 11:20 AM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Gotta go try on a ton. And note down model numbers of what you see and like or not. Facilitates looking and $$ shopping. Then — MOST importantly — buy from a great seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 11:36 AM   #18
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

I feel your first Rolex should be a workhorse. A Stainless 36 DJ or a Sub would be the ideal foundation. They are indestructible, timeless and versatile. If you like a chunky watch then any Sub will fit that bill. The last generation DateJust was a bit chunky as well. Try on a 5 digit DJ then try on a 6 digit like an 116200) You will notice the heft and build quality instantly. Also, If it is in your budget, buy new for your first Rolex. It is a milestone and can mark an important time for you. Subsequent Rolex watches can be pre-owned but my first was a 16238 with a white roman dial. Still a favorite of mine and in my rotation. A gold watch remains a statement. I am considering my first this year. I feel like a gentleman needs a solid conservative stainless Rolex before he jumps into the gold club. Set a goal of a three watch rotation of a Sub, SSDJ, DD
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:49 PM   #19
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

If it’s going to be a daily driver YG DD, then double quickset is not a real issue. I’d say look for a safe-queen-crisp 18038, 18078 or 181xx ... and I think a really good one is do-able at that number. It’s worth the peace of mind to buy from a reputable seller who’ll stand behind it, eBay can be a minefield with these.
Be patient and be picky, because it’s certainly a buyer’s market now, and there are plenty of these to choose from. Look for sharp edges on the bezel, case and bracelet, and a clean dial and hands with fully intact lume. Everyone has their own view on this, but I’d take even 10% better condition over any box and papers.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:55 PM   #20
campfire
"TRF" Member

As others have said, best to keep on trying as many watches as you can.

That said, if forced to choose, I'd go Sub. Especially if as you say you've always wanted a SS Sub. Solid workhorse watch. Can't go wrong.

Have fun with the process.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:58 PM   #21
eteokles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I recommend trying a bunch of different models when things open back up. It’s really the only way to know what songs to you
This is the best advice you’ll receive, in my opinion. It’s important to try a watch on before you buy. You might like it in pictures but dislike it on you. It’s too much to spend without knowing how it looks/feels on your wrist.
eteokles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:10 PM   #22
Ocog
"TRF" Member

Maybe you should just ask Tiger Woods the next time you are in the same tournament.
Ocog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:43 PM   #23
captJON
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
Welcome to TRF and yes, you have to try it on first but a YG DD36 is a solid choice although, at 36mm, it can be a bit small for some.

Not my pic

great piece .... looks so lovely... looking forward to getting one.
captJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 07:57 PM   #24
benny88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
If you like the 36mm size, don't discount the 36mm Datejust. You can pick up a pre owned one for half your budget and it will be many years newer and fresher and won't require a service any time soon. Just because you can spend 10k doesn't mean you have too. You could have a 36mm DJ now, keep the 5k left over to one side and in a year or so add some cash and add a Submariner for a great two watch collection
benny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:07 PM   #25
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Most alarming thing for me at this point is that you’re looking mostly online in scam heavy areas (like eBay and Chrono24) and are asking questions like, “how do I tell if it’s real,” etc.

We’ve all been there and some of us who have more experienced in this area can still get duped. Above the focus on what model
- I would implore you to stick to trusted dealers (online and in-person) and AD’s. Stay away from marketplaces because the price difference is paying for protection and experience. Especially spending £10k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:28 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Watchfinder, Watchclub, Watchcentre Bond st, Burlington Arcade, lots of places to visit in the summer when shops open up again.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:47 PM   #27
MB_UK
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses and advice - much appreciated.

As many of you have rightly pointed out there has been a lot of indecision over what model I should go for. And the more I think about everyone's advice the less convinced I am over a day date.

I have always loved the look of submariners but part of me struggles to justify circa £10k on a steel watch with a current RRP of £7,150 in the UK. However I know it is market values being effected by supply and demand forces...

I also feel the ss submariner lacks a certain element of luxuriousness for spending that sort of money (again it's all relative but £10k is a huge amount of money for me personally). I guess a lot of people like a more understated look but for me I want it to be a statement piece. Some have mentioned a steel and gold submariner and I think that would tick more boxes for me - I actually tried one on in a dealership in Dubai visiting my family who work out there. My preference is the black and yellow however that seems to go against the norm from what I have read, with the blue and yellow being more widely appreciated.

Another option which I really like the look of is the GMT 2 rose gold and steel. If I was able to secure one at RRP I would be very tempted to stretch my budget as I think it is a fantastic looking watch and offers me the perfect combination of practicality and luxuriousness.

I've sent out a few emails to dealerships this morning and already had a coupe of replies saying no stock is available and they are not taking notes of interest on any of the professional range models.

I don't have an issue waiting a while for a watch, but if it's going to be over a year I wouldn't be very keen. That's the main reason I've been looking at 3rd parties online. However on Watchfinder a used 126711 CHNR is well over £16k which seems crazy to me.

I guess I have to be more realistic and come to terms with not being able to secure a watch directly through a dealership and therefore having to pay an inflated price on the non-authorised seller market.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 09:52 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go try the watches on but would probably take a modern six digit Submariner ND or Date complete with box, papers and card with some warranty left. The Submariner is a tank and a classic watch that could be a one and only for a lifetime should you choose. The Submariner would also allow you to continue to research and learn about what you like and what is available. The DD is a great watch and I own two of them but it is not where I went when I started and I do not think it is as versatile as the SS Submariner. You could own the Submariner and later pick up an older DD once you can make an informed decision on what you want and what is available. That would be a great two watch collection. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 10:29 PM   #29
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
3 very different watches mentioned - sounds like you're not sure what you like at the moment so don't dive in until you're sure of what you want. Go try some on.
For what its worth:
- a more robust sports model would usually better suit a young sportsperson like yourself
- my own experience, I found the Daytona impractical as a daily (no date, difficult to read at a glance, and who even uses a stopwatch?)
- I can't recall reading of anyone regretting buying a Submariner ;-)
Old 4 May 2020, 11:26 PM   #30
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_UK View Post
Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick responses and advice.

The main places I've been looking have been watchfinder, chrono24 and eBay (UK).

Some of the DD's I've come across have a lot of stretching as you mention upsidedownbelt, and look very polished to my untrained eye.

I would prefer something that is in as good condition and as original as possible given my limited budget.

The smaller size is something that is of concern to me pearson1995 but my wrist is fairly small and I quite like the classic look of the 36mm.

I've come across one that I quite like the look of. I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts, but the title is:

'1987 Rolex Day-Date President 36mm Double Quickset 18K Yellow Gold Watch' - £10,750 on eBay (UK)

I really don't know how to tell if this is genuine, if the documentation / box are correct, and how original the condition is?

Thanks,

Mike
Be careful, the double quickset didnt come until the 18238 model which I believe debuted in 1989.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote