The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 May 2020, 12:42 AM   #1
Eph
"TRF" Member

Anyone knowledgeable on the Tudor Pelagos?

I'm considering a Tudor Pelagos, the two-liner, because it just seems like a very practical and also very clean watch.

I've read many reviews of it online, but I'm here seeking personal experience from someone who's owned/owns one. Would love your thoughts!

Also, from others (non-owners), what are your thoughts on the two-liner vs others? The two-liner has the ETA movement (which I prefer!) and it also looks cleaner. So I'm wondering why people gravitate to the one with 5 lines of text on the front.

Thanks!!
Eph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 12:48 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I wanted new & blue. The 5 liner is a non-issue for me. The in-house movement is amazingly accurate.

Having said that, you should go with the reference that speaks to you. Nothing wrong w/ the ETA w/ sparse dial.

One thing all Pelagos owners can agree on, you should be very happy with it. Good luck!
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290377_1024.jpg (242.7 KB, 276 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:24 AM   #3
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
I have a 2 line Pelagos with the ETA movement. I definitely like the watch, it keeps excellent time, very easy to read time, date a bit hard to see at a glance (I have old eyes), and a great watch for daily wear. The Pelagos buckle is equipped with a spring expansion making it more comfortable. It is a big watch, so may not fit smaller wrists well.
The only issue I've had is some of the luminescent material in the bezel coming off (see picture)

vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:27 AM   #4
Eph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewatch View Post
I have a 2 line Pelagos with the ETA movement. I definitely like the watch, it keeps excellent time, very easy to read time, date a bit hard to see at a glance (I have old eyes), and a great watch for daily wear. The Pelagos buckle is equipped with a spring expansion making more it comfortable. It is a big watch, so may not fit smaller wrists well.
The only issue I've had is some of the luminescent material in the bezel coming off (see picture)

Such bright lume! But that watch can't be more than 8 years old (at most), and it's already got some significant lume cracks? Do you think that's normal/does Tudor think that's normal?
Old 5 May 2020, 01:29 AM   #5
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K

I owned the ETA version for about a minute - bought it, couldn’t find a comfortable fit on the bracelet, listed it here and sold it quickly. At times, I’ve kind of regretted not keeping it around to wear on rubber...but not enough to bother buying another one.

I eventually bought the blue in-house model in early 2016. The additional case thickness compared with the ETA corrected the fit problem I had on the first gen model. For awhile, it was featured in heavy rotation for me.

Since then, it’s been pushed to the back of the pack by other additions. I haven’t moved it along (yet), but it mostly gathers dust these days. Good watch, great value, very accurate, and also, it’s super light on the wrist and very legible. But it’s just not a favorite of mine these days for whatever reason. Once in awhile, I wear it on rubber because I do like the shade of blue.

There are a lot of watches I’ve really dug for a short period of time and some that have had staying power in my rotation, but the Pelagos falls into the former category for me.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:32 AM   #6
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
The 2-liner is the old discontinued watch which had the ETA movement, whileas the 5-liner have the new in-house movement made by Tudor........

either one is up to a person's preference
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:39 AM   #7
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph View Post
Such bright lume! But that watch can't be more than 8 years old (at most), and it's already got some significant lume cracks? Do you think that's normal/does Tudor think that's normal?
Tudor would have replaced or re-lumed the bezel if the watch was within the warranty period (2 years) at no charge. I bought it used and after warranty expired, so I just left it as is. I was offered service to fix lume, but for around $250, I passed.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:40 AM   #8
wilbur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos+Friends
I have a black dial with in-house movement. I love it . It fits me really well and the bracelet is really impressive. I am not a diver but I like to swim in the ocean with my watches. I have found that the bezel jams up after a while and is hard and stiff to turn. It releases again after washing it in fresh water. It's a bit annoying because I have cheaper watches that don't have the problem.
wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:17 AM   #9
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Have had the ETA version and now the In House. Both great. I think the ETA is a bit slimmer in terms of height. My POV is it’s a great watch with some great features and a great value. Not sure if it’s a long term keeper for me or not but if you’re interested I don’t think you have much to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:46 AM   #10
STL-16613
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Never paid any mind to Tudor. Owned Rolex and Breitling...the Rolex models I have owned all have been 40mm and Breitlings all have been 43 or bigger. A buddy of mine told me I should just try Tudor. Got the in house black Pelagos last week and it has become my daily wearer at 42mm...fits perfect and wears great. Impressed with the clasp and the lume. I would recommend trying it and if it doesn't work...you can always sell as someone out there always wants to try one.
STL-16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 03:52 AM   #11
Eph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I owned the ETA version for about a minute - bought it, couldn’t find a comfortable fit on the bracelet, listed it here and sold it quickly. At times, I’ve kind of regretted not keeping it around to wear on rubber...but not enough to bother buying another one.

I eventually bought the blue in-house model in early 2016. The additional case thickness compared with the ETA corrected the fit problem I had on the first gen model. For awhile, it was featured in heavy rotation for me.

Since then, it’s been pushed to the back of the pack by other additions. I haven’t moved it along (yet), but it mostly gathers dust these days. Good watch, great value, very accurate, and also, it’s super light on the wrist and very legible. But it’s just not a favorite of mine these days for whatever reason. Once in awhile, I wear it on rubber because I do like the shade of blue.

There are a lot of watches I’ve really dug for a short period of time and some that have had staying power in my rotation, but the Pelagos falls into the former category for me.
Interesting! So you're saying that the thickness of the newer version made it more comfortable. Did you by chance take any pictures of the two side by side for comparison? I'm trying to imagine how that could make such a difference.
Old 5 May 2020, 04:38 AM   #12
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I went back and forth on the ETA/in house versions, but I ultimately chose the in house movement. I'm glad I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrist driving.jpg (67.4 KB, 173 views)

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:40 AM   #13
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph View Post
Interesting! So you're saying that the thickness of the newer version made it more comfortable. Did you by chance take any pictures of the two side by side for comparison? I'm trying to imagine how that could make such a difference.

Yes...if I remember correctly, the ETA model is something like ~13.8mm thick and the in-house 14.3mm. (Someone can correct me if I’ve misspoken, but the difference is around a half millimeter, whatever the measurements are.)

For whatever reason, I was just unable to find comfort with the ETA. I needed three links taken out of that one, I think. With two out, it was on the innermost notch on the clasp, yet too loose on the wrist, and if I took the third out, it sat one past the third notch, or on the tightest setting on the spring-loaded clasp, relying on the spring itself for comfort. I prefer my bracelets on the snug side, but that one just didn’t work for me.

I can’t remember all the particulars, but my AD tried a bunch of permutations two links removed, three removed, whatever the result was, I wasn’t a fan either way.

However, the added .5mm with the in-house corrected it for me, and I’m either on the tightest notch of the three on the adjustable clasp (or the second, on a really humid day). Totally works for me.

Never took a pic side-by-side, since I owned the ETA version before the in-house one existed.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 08:12 AM   #14
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I have one of the first 2 liners that came into NAR, ordered during the Basel release and had to drive up to CAD since they weren’t sold in the US, yet (Tudor was sold in the US back in the 90s). I have a 10 piece collection and love it. Super light, ti doesn’t scratch much (worn camping, hunting, MT biking, yard work, etc.), accurate and no problems to date. I wear the rubber strap on my North Flag. I do prefer the NFs power reserve, but I will take a 2liner and slightly thinner case over the PR upgrade any day.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote