The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2020, 07:18 PM   #61
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

The Submariner is an instantly recognizable classic that is the flagship of the Rolex line. There are plenty of high quality pretenders but nothing beats a Sub of any generation.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 07:24 PM   #62
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Do I think it's overrated? No.

Do I give a damn about some other bloke's opinion? No.

If you want one buy one. If you don't, don't. If you like other makes/models, buy them. Be happy. Don't live in someone else's head. You've got your Sub. What do you care?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 08:25 PM   #63
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If you consider the $ amount as the rating system they I'd say yes, it's over rated. I don't know of any other rating system for watches. For me it misses the mark for other than diving. It's great over a wet suit or when swimming which would be the only times I'd really wear one. But that's just me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 08:38 PM   #64
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Can you buy a cheaper diver? Yes
Can you buy a diver that has a greater depth rating? Yes
Can you buy a more accurate diver? Yes. A £50 Casio is more accurate.
Can you buy a diver that's better made, better quality? Yes
Can you buy a diver that is more technically advanced? Yes
Can you buy a diver with better aesthetics?
Logic would suggest the Rolex Sub is overrated.
Which diver would I choose, a Rolex Sub of course any day. I have one, would I swop it for another brand, no thank you.

Its a bit like Porsche and Ferrari. Logic would suggest a Porsche is a better car, technical design, build quality, reliability, fuel economy, road handling, price, etc, etc. The head says buy the Porsche, the heart says red and Italian...

Just MHO, others am sure will disagree.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 09:14 PM   #65
zen123
"TRF" Member

Of all the watches I own(ed) the Ref 14060m I bought back in 2003 for just £1800 was hands down my favourite and saw the most wrist time.

Just over the weekend I reluctantly let it go in p/x for a Ref 16610LV. Was it worth it? To me yes, but don't tell the wife.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 09:24 PM   #66
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

The Submariner is the only one you can wear with a tux ;)
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 09:42 PM   #67
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A subjective question depending on the categories of measure you put on the Submariner. There are great alternatives in the market but only one Rolex Submariner. So, if the Submariner is what you want then no, it is not over rated.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 10:03 PM   #68
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Absolutely not
Old 20 July 2020, 10:07 PM   #69
din64
Banned

I thought I was the only one that thought it is overrated. Reading through this thread, I feel normal again.
din64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 10:15 PM   #70
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
In the early 60s, my Dad handed me my first watch as I was preparing to leave home for military school in the southern US. I would not be home for six years with the exception of a few weeks of furlough. He said the watch was a Bulova “Submariner”. I had never heard of a Rolex, a Submariner or even a Bulova for that matter. Beginning of a life long obsession lol...I’m trying to imagine a more classic or more imitated watch look?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2020, 10:23 PM   #71
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Yes and no.

Yes in terms of how many people think of it as an iconic watch with timeless design. It isn’t iconic for me, the DayDate is far more iconic. And it certainly isn’t a timeless design, the design has changed significantly over the years and I suspect will continue to do so. The Royal Oak is a timeless design, the the 15202 looking almost identical to the original 5402 to the untrained eye.

No in terms of where it sits in the market. For value for money I think it’s exceptional. Not everyone agrees with me on this, but compare it with the offerings from the competition, and it wins hands-down for me. And for people that point at watches like the Oris, maybe it’s just as good or even better in some ways, but there is something special about Rolex, it is more than just marketing.

Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 10:30 PM   #72
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I love my Submariner and would never sell it. No I don't believe it's over rated at all..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 10:45 PM   #73
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
No it's not overrated.

This is what I wrote in my review:

"Submariner is not the most original choice, far from it. Some watch collectors consider it unimaginative and mundane… nor it is anything special from the horological standpoint. It’s not the most expensive Rolex, nor it’s the most desirable (as the production numbers are so high), nor it’s as difficult to obtain as say, Cosmograph Daytona. But even the naysayers can’t deny its iconic status in the watch world. It’s the most copied watch in the world.

There are a lot of discussions how brand XXX has made much better bracelet or clasp than a Submariner. Or how the model XXX is “much better done” than a Submariner. Well yeah, but they’re still not the Rolex Submariner – and never will be.

There is a whole industry built around Submariner homages. It’s THE model that most manufacturers aspire to have in their lineup – and a measuring stick that all dive watches get compared to, like it or not."

Rolex 16610 review
Old 20 July 2020, 10:49 PM   #74
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
It's a beautiful watch. Is it worth 10k? No, not based its movement and any of its features. But... I'd be lying if I said the Rolex name wasn't worth several thousand in and of itself. It was easy for me to choose my Omega Planet Ocean over a SubC - I'm getting a better technical watch for half the price, and I actually happen to like the look better. However, if I didn't already have the 116613LB, I probably would've gotten the SubC over the Omega, because the need to have at least one Rolex psychologically is real.
Old 20 July 2020, 11:06 PM   #75
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

There are some divers out there which are better than the Sub in some aspects, but as a whole package the Sub is unbeatable in it's price category.

The mentioned GO SeaQ is probably a step above in watchmaking with its 100h of power reserve and nicely decorated movement. I also prefer the on-the-go adjustment mechanism there, which is so neatly integrated into the clasp. At the same time it's huge, thick, has PCLs and I just don't like the look.
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 11:13 PM   #76
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
I was baffled by this:
B&J: “Rolex is not a watch maker, it’s just a brand”.

Yet Rolex makes probably the most robust and tough automatic movements out there while being highly accurate at the same time (my 3132 is +2 sec after 3 weeks).
The Rolex oyster bracelets are probably the most comfortable and well constructed bracelets out there, all assembled by hand.
The bezels in the dive watches have the best action I have seen, yet he shows the misaligned bezel in a watch that is £3000 more and calls it better.
The list can go on.

I agree the GO movement looks better, but pretty does not mean better where I come from.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 11:16 PM   #77
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I think it is overrated by the “I must have a sub” watch buyers of today.

A junior investment banker where I work saw my Explorer one day and asked me “is that a Rolex?”.

He was wearing a 6 digit Submariner. He had almost no idea or care that Rolex even makes other models
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 11:19 PM   #78
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
So is the Submariner just getting by on reputation and perceived retained value as not only a dive watch but say as daily wearer as well?
The perceived retained value is a real thing. Reputation is earned. Daily wearer, absolutely.

Can you find a comparable quality watch for less money? Yes.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 11:50 PM   #79
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
If you consider the $ amount as the rating system they I'd say yes, it's over rated. I don't know of any other rating system for watches. For me it misses the mark for other than diving. It's great over a wet suit or when swimming which would be the only times I'd really wear one. But that's just me.
I've got a small 6.5 inch wrist, for many years I've worn a 34mm air-king which fits perfect. Recently picked up a new Sub 114060 and I'm shocked at how well it fits. Fits me even better than the 39mm explorer 1 due to the proportions, it actually has a smaller dial than the explorer because of the bezel. I definitely notice it's heavier on the wrist compared to my air-king but it's a dive watch after all so it should feel chunkier.

The lug size issue is overblown in my opinion. I've tried on both the 5 digit alongside the 6 digit and the difference was hardly noticeable. With the increase in quality of the 6 digit and a slightly chunkier feel I went with that one. Sub is also quite slim for a diver, it has a little bit of a bubble back but nothing that puts me off.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #80
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
My 14060 is a great watch, it's not overrated. Seiko divers are my other favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.JPG (91.3 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1897 (1).JPG (99.8 KB, 188 views)
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 12:22 AM   #81
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

On the list price - it’s a great buy but over retail- it’s overpriced for sure (most Sport models are)

You can’t compare the Sub to the Glashütte SeaQ- they are targeted for different audience ... the SeaQ is a higher quality diver - it’s niche product for only few who knows the art of watches making ... Rolex is the masses, therefore, it has a higher demand ... point
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 12:48 AM   #82
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
So is the Submariner just getting by on reputation and perceived retained value as not only a dive watch but say as daily wearer as well?
Maybe but Nope.

IMO... Slightly overpriced at MSRP but the market believes otherwise and so there’s a premium on it.

If I went looking for a diver again, I doubt I’d consider an Omega, BP, Oris or GO.
Old 21 July 2020, 01:00 AM   #83
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
At current market price, the whole Rolex line up is arguably overrated.
Statement of the year. Many on the forum a few years ago stated at msrp the Rolex watches were over priced.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:09 AM   #84
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=Aberdein;10762211
...Just MHO, others am sure will disagree.[/QUOTE]

Agree - just didn’t want to display your whole quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
A subjective question depending on the categories of measure you put on the Submariner. There are great alternatives in the market but only one Rolex Submariner. So, if the Submariner is what you want then no, it is not over rated.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I've got a small 6.5 inch wrist. Recently picked up a new Sub and I'm shocked at how well it fits. .
I’m pleased with the case size/fit as well on my 6-1/2 “ wrist. I’m in an agreeable mood this morning.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:30 AM   #85
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Do I think it's overrated? No.

Do I give a damn about some other bloke's opinion? No.

If you want one buy one. If you don't, don't. If you like other makes/models, buy them. Be happy. Don't live in someone else's head. You've got your Sub. What do you care?
With all do respect this is a forum, we post items for discussion. By your logic what is the point of having this webpage? This is the fun part of the hobby where you can post items for discussion and get people's opinions. I enjoy reading people's opinions, I am not trying to live in someone else's head. If you don't like the topic there was no need for you to read the post and comment on the thread.

Last edited by Rexplorer214270; 21 July 2020 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: missing word
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:32 AM   #86
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
IMO, underrated!!
Old 21 July 2020, 01:43 AM   #87
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes, a surprise to many here that place Rolex on a pedestal, gasp, there are better models. One would simply have to look at Omega and some other brands. The movement is as if not more accurate, better power reserve, and far more anti-magnetic which is a real functional advantage.

Now, as to the question of overrated. Unlike the Daytona that has fake heritage due to its association with a salad dressing guy, the sub has been issued by some military outfits, worn and proven in combat, and with the Sub (and Blancpain) were the first real dive watches ever created. The watches has been on the wrist of numerous explorers and ocean exploring expeditions (i.e. Cousteau).

The design is the most copied on the planet and perhaps the most recognizable and iconic in the world. When you close your eyes and think dive watch, its the sub that comes to mind. There really is only one other watch even close, and that's the speedmaster pro.

So to answer your question, overrated. No. Is it the best watch, also no.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:46 AM   #88
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
"Better"?? Maybe in the opinion of some blogger but not me. I prefer the Sub Date over all of those other watches. The Oris is ok, maybe a bit vanilla. The Glashutte imho is ugly. And the Fifty Fathoms is bland. I'd take the Sub Date over all three of those others together.
This right here. Sub Date over these no question. In fact, if I could only wear one sport style watch, I'd go diver, and it would certainly be a black sub date.
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:56 AM   #89
tjs1295
"TRF" Member

I'm always looking to get a new diver. I'd love a Planet Ocean, but they're too thick on my wrist. Biggest issue for me is size, and proportions. The sub has them perfect.... for me. Looks are nice as well.
tjs1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 01:59 AM   #90
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I see a lot of posts around omega divers being better. I am a sub owner, not a diver (I know blasphemy), heck I don’t even like the water period. With some quick research, I don’t see that much of a difference functionally between the sub and omega. That being said, am I the only one that just can’t stand the look of the omega seamaster? I want to like it, easy piece to add to the collection, I just don’t get the odd shape of the bezel. Many of the dials as well, that wavy line look, just not for me. Now if I am 300 meters down swimming with great white sharks, I guess I would have to do more research! That being said, overrated, look at the aftermarket value of the seamaster vs sub. I think market value is considered with rating, and sub easily has this beat.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote