The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 August 2020, 11:25 PM   #1
milkyberly7
"TRF" Member

What questions should be asked when looking at a preowned Rolex?

I’m going to see a preowned Rolex Explorer II (16570) this weekend and I’m curious what questions this fine community would ask when looking at a preowned watch. I can answer some basics about the piece. I’m going to an AD to see the watch near where I live. The watch itself is a 2008 version and based on what I’ve seen from their other preowned Rolex’s, I’m willing to bet it’s in nice shape. With this said, I’m by no means an expert as I’m looking for my first real luxury watch and the explorer is a grail of mine. With that said, I wanted to pose the following to this group.

What questions should I definitely be looking to ask when I see it?

What are signs of heavy wear and tear that I should keep an eye out for?

What are deal breakers from a used watch perspective only (I like the explorer so not specifically talking about the watch selection at all)?

I appreciate the advice as I look to join the Rolex club!

I’m going to see a preowned Rolex Explorer II (16570) this weekend and I’m curious what questions this fine community would ask when looking at a preowned watch. I can answer some basics about the piece. I’m going to an AD to see the watch near where I live. The watch itself is a 2008 version and based on what I’ve seen from their other preowned Rolex’s, I’m willing to bet it’s in nice shape. With this said, I’m by no means an expert as I’m looking for my first real luxury watch and the explorer is a grail of mine. With that said, I wanted to pose the following to this group.

What questions should I definitely be looking to ask when I see it?

What are signs of heavy wear and tear that I should keep an eye out for?

What are deal breakers from a used watch perspective only (I like the explorer so not specifically talking about the watch selection at all)?

I appreciate the advice as I look to join the Rolex club!
milkyberly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 02:16 AM   #2
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
This is a very general question. First, you should read post on the general, vintage and for sale thread searching 16570. Here are some general issues.

Box, papers and tags consistent with year of watch.
Any known history. Watch has most likely been serviced at least once.
Serial number matches, watch and paperwork.
Lume on hands and dial are consistent with age and service history.
All links present on the bracelet, and condition of bracelet and clasp.
Check endlinks have good spring bar connection.
Most difficult to assess, case and bezel. Most of these have been poorly polished. Chamfers are incorrect, the brushing isn't consistent and the numbers on the bezel are losing the darkness of color and brushing on bezel is not correct.
Are date wheel numerals and background consistent with year of watch.
Evaluate size and shape of case lugs for symmetry, damage or over polishing.
Any warranty given

That's where I would start, best of luck, you should post photos of the piece before purchase so others can comment.
Old 12 August 2020, 02:19 AM   #3
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
It's price.

DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:47 AM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Do you have the original box and papers

Are you the original owner

If not did you buy it from the original owner

How long have you had it

When was it last serviced - do you have the service card and paperwork

Is it running ok

Do you know what the time keeping is running at, plus or minus per day

If they person can answer all of this he/she knows their stuff and looks after their watches. If someone doesn’t know anything then that’s a red flag

Most people are in between so it’s up to you to gain confidence in the seller, their answers and willingness to help, to check any paperwork that matches and then ultimately assess the condition of the watch.

I focus on the lugs. Look at them from underneath and the side. Are they the same shape on all 4 corners? Most watches are angled inwards and pointed.

Look for signs that then lugs are flat or different shapes - that indicates a lot of work on the polishing wheel or a bad repair job

Look at the thickness of the lugs from the top down

Do they match

Look at the contour of the case edges, does the case have the correct edge finish or is it rounded off

Depending on the model the shape of the crown guards can indicate the amount of work done on the case as well as the feel of the case edge and case lugs using your finger

You can also look at the logo on the clasp. The 5 dimples on the logo will be flat to indicate a lot of polishing

Bracelet stretch can also be checked by holding the head and the bracelet sideways

Look underneath at the lugs for strap change damage and of course the dial crystal and bezel for any issues,

It’s up to you to authenticate the watch and having experience of handling explorers will definitely help

See if the watch is running, if not wind it and check it out and watch it.

This is just what I do. I focus mainly on the seller and their answers and general conversation.

All the case and polishing stuff is purely personal preference. Loads of watches trade hands with rounded case edges, rounded crown guards, flat and misshapen lugs. A watch can still look great to a lot of people with all that going on

Good luck
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:24 AM   #5
Enyaw1
Banned

What time is it?
Enyaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:32 AM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
How much !