The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 August 2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Junyim
"TRF" Member

What's the reasoning behind keeping a watch in a safe?

What's the reasoning behind keeping a rolex in the original box, and in a safe?

Hypothetically speaking, lets say you had the ROLEX white Face Daytona with the stickers, price tag, and everything in tact in a safe for 50 years.. untouched..

Now you have the same Rolex, but you wore it 20 times a year and it shows some wear and tear.. but you still have the same box, papers and receipt ...

Would it make a big difference 50 years from now? as far as value, wouldn't it still hold the value ??

So why not wear it and enjoy it?
Old 12 August 2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no practical reason to keep a watch in a safe for any number of years, although I think that I have some that haven't been worn for a couple.
Old 12 August 2020, 03:22 AM   #3
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Wouldn’t do it personally, but unworn will command higher prices. But there are better investments out there. I get the argument for buying a watch as something you can enjoy that might make it a half decent investment, but it’s only that if you are wearing and enjoying it. Otherwise, put your investment cash elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 12 August 2020, 04:03 AM   #4
Junyim
"TRF" Member

Now let’s say you have an option to wear 2 other Daytona’s.. green face Daytona.. and the ceramic black face Daytona.. You wear those other two regularly.. then you happen to receive the white face ceramic Daytona... would you keep the white one with all the stickers and everything in tact as is or just wear it and enjoy it..??
Old 12 August 2020, 04:10 AM   #5
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyim View Post
Now let’s say you have an option to wear 2 other Daytona’s.. green face Daytona.. and the ceramic black face Daytona.. You wear those other two regularly.. then you happen to receive the white face ceramic Daytona... would you keep the white one with all the stickers and everything in tact as is or just wear it and enjoy it..??

I’d just enjoy it. The only reason you’d buy it and not wear it is because of investment value. And there are for better not-for-fun investments than a 116500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 12 August 2020, 04:13 AM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
What's the reasoning behind keeping a watch in a safe?

The reason some keep a watch in a safe unworn is to sell it in the future and make a profit. Not my cup of tea... I'd rather enjoy it now as a watch is not an investment to me but it is to others.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 12 August 2020, 02:01 PM   #7
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Speculation

Rolex, in particular, is the latest instrument
Old 12 August 2020, 02:27 PM   #8
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

fear
Old 12 August 2020, 02:31 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

Because someone thinks a modern Rolex is going to go up so much in price that it will actually make a difference in their life.

99.9% will be wrong. Yes it may go up a little but enough to justify keeping it in a safe for 30-40 years? Hell nah......ppl a delusional these days over Rolex.
Old 12 August 2020, 02:36 PM   #10
vh2k
"TRF" Member

The boxes can stay in the closet. The watches go in the safe so they aren’t stolen.
Old 12 August 2020, 03:42 PM   #11
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Years ago, pretty much everyone bought a watch to wear. Unworn examples were extremely rare and so, when they turned/turn up, the prices could/can be massively higher than those of a good worn example.

Many people haven't cottoned on to the fact that, due to the whole "watches as investments" thing, BNIB watches are going to be pretty common in the future.

Certainly, they will retain a slight premium but not enough to justify effectively not having the watch for 20 years, imo.
Old 12 August 2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Ihatecheese
Banned

Many people keep jewellery or prized collections of thing's in a safe just to know they have it. Because they can. Flipping is more for the super keep watch WIS crew looking to make a buck
Old 12 August 2020, 04:19 PM   #13
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I can think of so many other ways to invest than to put a watch in the safe for 20 or 30 years.. You never know when your number gets called. Life is short and hobbies are meant to bring you joy in life. Wear the watch and enjoy it. If it happens to go up in value, that's just an added bonus.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 12 August 2020, 05:49 PM   #14
sammy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Don't put it in the safe. I'd sell the green daytona (had one, just not a fan) and pick up a GMT Metorite... get the white face daytona and wear them all
Old 12 August 2020, 06:10 PM   #15
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
There is no guarantee that in 10, 20 or 50 years time that any of the watches we own will be worth anything, none of know what is round the corner.

This is no different to the situation that people buying watches in 1970 walked into. Who knew that those boring useless Daytona's that no one loved back then would be worth so much 50 years on. The same argument applies for the Divers and GMT's from Rolex's range of that era, who knew that they would become so collectible.

Watches of that era were made to be worn and the same applies now, it is pure guesswork to assume that the current SS Daytona (or any other Rolex model) will be a collectible in 2070. For all that any of us know the collectible of tomorrow could well be the DateJust of today.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Old 12 August 2020, 07:15 PM   #16
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
There is no guarantee that in 10, 20 or 50 years time that any of the watches we own will be worth anything, none of know what is round the corner.

This is no different to the situation that people buying watches in 1970 walked into. Who knew that those boring useless Daytona's that no one loved back then would be worth so much 50 years on. The same argument applies for the Divers and GMT's from Rolex's range of that era, who knew that they would become so collectible.

Watches of that era were made to be worn and the same applies now, it is pure guesswork to assume that the current SS Daytona (or any other Rolex model) will be a collectible in 2070. For all that any of us know the collectible of tomorrow could well be the DateJust of today.
This and people may not even wear watches in 50 years time.
Old 12 August 2020, 07:25 PM   #17
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
To keep it safe?
Old 12 August 2020, 07:32 PM   #18
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
What's the reasoning behind keeping a rolex in the original box, and in a safe?

Hypothetically speaking, lets say you had the ROLEX white Face Daytona with the stickers, price tag, and everything in tact in a safe for 50 years.. untouched..

Now you have the same Rolex, but you wore it 20 times a year and it shows some wear and tear.. but you still have the same box, papers and receipt ...

Would it make a big difference 50 years from now? as far as value, wouldn't it still hold the value ??

So why not wear it and enjoy it?
I know a few people keep their "Grail" watches in the safe , probably for peace of mind amongst other things. Others probably more for investment purposes.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Old 12 August 2020, 07:39 PM   #19
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I am not dedicated to selling watches and less to waiting decades or years to see a profit, my business is another and my hobby is to wear a mechanical watch, a Rolex SeaDweller watch!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
Closed Thread