The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2007, 04:05 PM   #1
watchwino
"TRF" Member

Are The Daydate & Datejust Losing Popularity?

My 22 year old female neighbor just bought a mans datejust. Is this size (36mm) losing popularity with men because of it's size? It is small by todays (40mm+) standards. Do you think rolex will ever increase the size?
watchwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 04:42 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwino View Post
My 22 year old female neighbor just bought a mans datejust. Is this size (36mm) losing popularity with men because of it's size? It is small by todays (40mm+) standards. Do you think rolex will ever increase the size?
The DD may not be everyone's cuppa purely because it is not affordable by one and all.....but the DJ still continues to rule. The 36 mm size may be a deterrent to some of us who have larger wrists, but world-wide the DJ is one of the most popular Rolex models around....especially in Asia and the Far East.

And I don't think Rolex will ever change the case diameters of these models.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Got to agree with JJ the DJ is the highest Rolex volume seller world wide,with most of these DJ watches selling in Asia.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
...the DJ still continues to rule...world-wide the DJ is one of the most popular Rolex models around...And I don't think Rolex will ever change the case diameters of these models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Got to agree with JJ the DJ is the highest Rolex volume seller world wide,with most of these DJ watches selling in Asia.
Totally agree. The Datejust is a quintessential Rolex watch. I love mine, and even though it is generally considered to be a dress watch, I wear mine with jeans and a polo shirt all the time. When one says Rolex, a huge portion of the world thinks DJ!
Old 8 April 2007, 10:06 PM   #5
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I just traded in a GMT for a Datejust. THe new size case looks a little larger and thicker than the older DJs. I have relatively average/large wrist ( 7.5") and looks just fine. I personnally think watches larger than 40mm are way too big. The DJ is very poplular in America and Asia I think. My father has even bigger wrist than me and he wears and Exp 1 and it looks great. Use to be Rolex 40mm watches were at the upper spectrum of watches reference size, now that size is more average. But the DJ is still a classic look and very popular. The new 116200 DJ with improved bracelet and new style cases are very comfotrtable.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 10:50 PM   #6
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Here in the USA, especially New York City, the wall streeter's have raised the standard by wearing Patek Philippe's rather than Rolex, simply because they cost more on the average. I know a few people who now can justify buying a Rolex, because of that reason. So more people are buying the DJ, but the professional models are also becoming more popular.
Old 8 April 2007, 11:09 PM   #7
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
There has been a sports watch craze for a while now, and I don't see it drying up any time soon, but I also agree with the assessments from JJ, Padi and Prince.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 02:42 AM   #8
Blue Bull
Banned

A 40mm DJ would have been perfect.Just the size,nothing else to critisize about the DJs.For that matter,imagine a 40-42mm Airking with blue dial and Arabic 6/6/9.... yummy !!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Blue Bull
Banned

A 40mm DJ would have been perfect.Just the size,nothing else to critisize about the DJs.For that matter,imagine a 40-42mm Airking with blue dial and Arabic 6/6/9.... yummy !!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 04:02 AM   #10
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I don't think the size is the issue with the Day-Date. I would love to get one, but the price is currently far out of my reach.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 04:12 AM   #11
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Women with manly wrist choose the 36mm DJ, but I personally believe the 31mm looks better, that is unless they are plus sized to begin of.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 05:08 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Women with manly wrist choose the 36mm DJ, but I personally believe the 31mm looks better, that is unless they are plus sized to begin of.
The 31 mm is surprisingly very popular amongst men too in Far East Asia....saw quite a few on wrists in Hong Kong.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote