The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
iamifun

Watch: 16610LV/soon116520
visiting AD tomorrow!

finally made plans to visit my AD tomorrow...i called ahead of time and found out that they have an SS daytona there (but unfortunately not for me) but i'm hoping to make a deal tomorrow and put down a deposit for one =) atleast ill get to take a look at a fresh one and try it on...let's see what happens..

Ivan
iamifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Good luck Ivan, keep us posted, I hope you can take some pictures.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamifun View Post
finally made plans to visit my AD tomorrow...i called ahead of time and found out that they have an SS daytona there (but unfortunately not for me) but i'm hoping to make a deal tomorrow and put down a deposit for one =) atleast ill get to take a look at a fresh one and try it on...let's see what happens..

Ivan
All the best, Ivan....keep us updated on how it goes!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:

Ivan
Good luck, Ivan. I hope the wait time is not too long for one of the SS DTs. If it is, they might just have something else there that smiles at you. You never know. Cheers...
Old 8 April 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
iamifun

So I'm back home finally after a long day out! I did what I said I would do haha...I put down a deposit for an SS daytona! The wait time is actually very good...it is (around) a year...he said it could be less or more depending on the other people who are in line for it...since some people want a white one and some want a black...but in the end...he says definitely around a year I will get it...and knowing my AD, he is very accurate on the time...also, the price was perfect...I guess in Canada, the daytona isn't as in demand as in the states so there is no premium etc. I have a feeling he'll get it to me before the year ends (hopefully by christmas) just one of those gut feelings...but next year at this time...I will definitely be posting pictures of the new watch...cheers and thanks to everyone!

-Ivan
Old 8 April 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Prince
"TRF" Member

Okey-Dokey, Ivan. Congrats on the deal. I know I would not be able to wait a year. I would want the guy to give me interest on my deposited money, to be added to the final purchase price, at a rate of at least 3%. I hate for money to just sit there and grow mold on it!

Thanks for sharing the results of your visit!
Old 8 April 2007, 11:01 PM   #7
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Okey-Dokey, Ivan. Congrats on the deal. I know I would not be able to wait a year. I would want the guy to give me interest on my deposited money, to be added to the final purchase price, at a rate of at least 3%. I hate for money to just sit there and grow mold on it!

He can ask the AD, to apply the interest to his balance, while on deposit.
Old 8 April 2007, 11:08 PM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
He can ask the AD, to apply the interest to his balance, while on deposit.
I definitely think he should!
Old 9 April 2007, 01:34 AM   #9
iamifun

the deposit its less than 10% the cost of the watch though =P not too bad i think...
Old 9 April 2007, 01:53 AM   #10
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the deposit its less than 10% the cost of the watch though =P not too bad i think...
No, that's not bad, but I'm always concerned about my money not working for me. If you give him a chunk of money like that, and it sits there for a year, if you had that money invested in even a standard savings account, you would have MORE money at the end of the year than you did to start with. As it is, your money is just sitting there for a year and not working for you.

I suppose there is nothing to do about that, but I believe that the AD should count toward your final purchase the amount of money that you would have made if that deposit was sitting in a bank earning interest. That would only be fair for letting your money sit idle for a full year. See what I mean?

Oh well...
Old 9 April 2007, 07:47 AM   #11
iamifun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
No, that's not bad, but I'm always concerned about my money not working for me. If you give him a chunk of money like that, and it sits there for a year, if you had that money invested in even a standard savings account, you would have MORE money at the end of the year than you did to start with. As it is, your money is just sitting there for a year and not working for you.

I suppose there is nothing to do about that, but I believe that the AD should count toward your final purchase the amount of money that you would have made if that deposit was sitting in a bank earning interest. That would only be fair for letting your money sit idle for a full year. See what I mean?

Oh well...
hmm yeah i guess you are right on that one...oh well...i guess that's what i have to pay to get a daytona haha...let the countdown begin...
Old 9 April 2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...i guess that's what i have to pay to get a daytona haha...let the countdown begin...
Indeed, Ivan. Best to you, and I KNOW you will love your Daytona!
Old 9 April 2007, 10:55 AM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Oh well...
I tend to agree with you, Allan. But then I think back to when I put down a $500 deposit on my SC 430 so I could get an early jump on others at my dealership, I figured that was a small price to pay for a $65,000 car. The amount of interest the $500 would have drawn wouldn't have paid for the first tank of gas (oh, and the car was delivered with a full tank).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I tend to agree with you, Allan. But then I think back to when I put down a $500 deposit on my SC 430 so I could get an early jump on others at my dealership, I figured that was a small price to pay for a $65,000 car. The amount of interest the $500 would have drawn wouldn't have paid for the first tank of gas (oh, and the car was delivered with a full tank).
Agreed Ed, but did you have to wait a FULL YEAR to get your watch? That's really my thinking. I just think its wrong over such a long time to keep someone's money tied up while that money could be making more money. They could just slap 3% interest on it at the final sale - a little discount, so to speak, for hijacking Ivan's money for a whole year!

As I said, Oh Well....
Old 9 April 2007, 09:16 PM   #15
AdamB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I think back to when I put down a $500 deposit on my SC 430 so I could get an early jump on others at my dealership, I figured that was a small price to pay for a $65,000 car.
Tha reminds me why I hate living in the UK :(

http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_cars/sc...model=SC%20430

Your car is over $100K USD in the UK :(
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 03:45 AM   #16
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They made you put a deposit down on a watch that A) They will likely receive about 10 of within the next year and B) a watch that they are making you wait to buy?

I don’t know if that is standard practice in Canada or anywhere else in the US, but there is NO WAY under any circumstance that I would do that or do business with an AD that requests that. Putting a deposit down on say a car that hasn’t come out yet that you must be the first one to get, ok I get that. But to put a deposit down on a watch that you can 110% be assured the AD will be receiving many of before you get yours is totally uncalled for.

Still that being said, as a Daytona owner you will LOVE it once you get it

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 03:55 AM   #17
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Instead of putting the deposit down, where you are losing ~$50 worth of interest over the next year, you could just buy one outright from the grey market right now! Sure, you'll spend $2K over msrp, but you won't lose that 50 bucs!
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 04:40 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
Instead of putting the deposit down, where you are losing ~$50 worth of interest over the next year, you could just buy one outright from the grey market right now! Sure, you'll spend $2K over msrp, but you won't lose that 50 bucs!
So you'd rather he lost $2,000 over a measley 50 bucks?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 04:57 AM   #19
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
So you'd rather he lost $2,000 over a measley 50 bucks?
I would prefer that the AD give him a $50 discount on the watch to make up for the interest he will lose. That just seems fair.
Old 10 April 2007, 05:26 AM   #20
iamifun

haha, i'm alright with the deposit =) my AD is actually very very good...the same AD as RogerF! i wouldn't recommend anyone else in Canada!
Old 10 April 2007, 05:29 AM   #21
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
haha, i'm alright with the deposit =) my AD is actually very very good...the same AD as RogerF! i wouldn't recommend anyone else in Canada!
Then you are on your way, and you have my best regards, Ivan! I will say no more about it. Cheers...
Old 10 April 2007, 04:11 PM   #22
iamifun

many thanks to you guys =)

-Ivan