The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Any of you audiophiles-did you go to AXPONA?

For those of you that might also be audiophiles, did you attend the show this weekend? This is my fifth year I believe. I attended today with my wife. Like a kid in a candy store, it was very exhilarating and fun.
For those not in the know, AXPONA is the Audio Expo North America. It was held in Schamburg, IL just outside of Chicago at the 16 story Renissance hotel with exhibits in the big meeting halls and in a couple hundred hotel rooms on 11 floors, all completely gutted of beds and furniture, making way for audio equipment being played to impress.
There are systems that start at maybe $5k for a set of speakers, an amp and preamp to something north of $100k for a set of speakers or a tube amplifier at $50k or a complete system costing more than $500k. Pretty cool stuff.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 10:25 AM   #2
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Just wondering at what point is it overkill? Can the human ear actually discern the difference in sound in equipment that costly?
I’m not criticizing here, just curious.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 10:41 AM   #3
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
While I label myself in the audiophile category I only have enough discretionary income for one ridiculous hobby. Watches win.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 07:14 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hopefully we met, was my ~125th event. As you may know, EnjoyTheMusic.com sponsored the Thur night party and all seminars. Had six reviewers there for coverage. Will you be at HIGH END in Munich?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:41 AM   #5
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Just wondering at what point is it overkill? Can the human ear actually discern the difference in sound in equipment that costly?
It's crazy I know.

But then again, tell the guys at Axpona about $500k watches and they will say the same thing!
Old 17 April 2019, 09:54 AM   #6
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Longtime Stereophile magazine subscriber. I've reached the point of diminishing returns in my system, the point where spending has to increase hugely to notice a significant difference.

I'm REALLY waiting for the time when wireless speakers match the sound quality of wired speakers. I've laughed at the speaker cable zealots who pay $24,000 for a pair of eight foot cables, and I'm anticipating a whole new category of products. Devices which make the air in the room more conductive. Better soundstage. The veil will be lifted!
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:09 PM   #7
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
i really like nice audio. I am unsure we will see truly lossless and signal/time aligned wireless speakers for a while. Apple and B&O i would guess are the leaders in that space with the w1 and class d active speakers.

what do you mean by more conductive?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:15 PM   #8
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
thank the Lord I have good hearing. i can tell the difference, but there are some caveats that the system should be played how it is designed. Using a million dollar stereo setup may not sound as good for HT as fraction of the cost multichannel HT oriented system. some pro audio may stay more composed loud than a ht or stereo.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:43 PM   #9
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
what do you mean by more conductive?
It was sarcasm. There is so much snake oil sold in the audiophile world. $200 cable elevators that hold the speaker cable two inches above the floor because they sound better. Of course, you'll need 6-8 of them. Or the claim that dusty cables sound better than clean. Read about Shakti Stones if you want a laugh.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Toony
"TRF" Member

Not an audiophile. Like to hear great sound systems. The best one I’ve ever heard was in Twilo in NYC back in the day. Amazing clarity. The bass was incredible. Impossible to describe how clear the music was.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 07:33 AM   #11
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I've always wanted to go, but never made it. I have JTR speakers in my home theater and based on following the owner on social media he's made a pretty good splash in that arena. The demo room they set up at Axpona was impressive.

When I purchased my speakers years ago, I met with him in this warehouse on the outskirts of Chicago where he rented out space. Pretty much a one-man operation at the time. He put one surround speaker on top of a sub and played some Nine Inch Nails while we stood back 20 feet and I was blown away. So loud and clean at the same time. So I immediately ordered 7 speakers (got subs from a friend of his Mark Seaton) and haven't felt the need to upgrade since.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 08:21 AM   #12
MinMay
Banned

Any of you audiophiles-did you go to AXPONA?

Ahh glad to see Rolex and audiophile fans here. Here is my ciem

MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:30 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

For those curious about AXPONA, been busy posting updates from myself and staff. Have more coverage coming, and right now there are hundreds of pics and 15+ pages of AXPONA coverage online.

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/AXPONA_2019/
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 12:33 AM   #14
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I would love to know some of your HT setups as I just put the finishing touches on it when my REL 212 came in as my main sub and using my Paradigm sub 12 as my secondary...

What processor is everyone using? Have you guys auditioned the McIntosh MX122?
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 12:51 AM   #15
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
For those curious about AXPONA, been busy posting updates from myself and staff. Have more coverage coming, and right now there are hundreds of pics and 15+ pages of AXPONA coverage online.

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/AXPONA_2019/
I've enjoyed your updates a lot.
Old 21 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

Tinnitus put an end to my audiophile interests. Sad, but, HELLO watches! . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:10 AM   #17
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Hopefully we met, was my ~125th event. As you may know, EnjoyTheMusic.com sponsored the Thur night party and all seminars. Had six reviewers there for coverage. Will you be at HIGH END in Munich?
Munich is on my bucket list. Been there a number of times but never to the High End show.
They run everything there on 220 vs. our 120, so it should be twice as loud, no?
Old 21 April 2019, 01:16 AM   #18
Fencer
"TRF" Member

I wasn't there, but my equipment was. I got tired of these shows long time ago.

Regarding the pricing... take my word for it - a LOT more development goes into one audio product than in a typical watch. There is no even comparison.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:20 AM   #19
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, your ear with some experience will easily spot the difference. Whether that difference is positive or not - different question. Developing your taste will usually take years. And everyone has different idea on what is "right".
Old 21 April 2019, 01:27 AM   #20
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
Munich is on my bucket list. Been there a number of times but never to the High End show.
They run everything there on 220 vs. our 120, so it should be twice as loud, no?
No, they don't run 220, they use 230, and no, not twice as loud, but certainly twice as fast! :)
Old 21 April 2019, 01:36 AM   #21
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
I wasn't there, but my equipment was. I got tired of these shows long time ago.

Regarding the pricing... take my word for it - a LOT more development goes into one audio product than in a typical watch. There is no even comparison.
Neat, what did you have there?
As an aside I have a Parasound integrated amp and was glad to spend some time with Richard Schram - owner of Parasound at last years show. I saw him again this year but he was engaged in a conversation so we just waved. It is nice to be able to put a face and connection between a product you have and the person responsible for its existence.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:59 AM   #22
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
Neat, what did you have there?
www.balanced.com