The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2019, 07:04 AM   #1
KFP55
"TRF" Member

Availability of Cameron DSSD?

Curious about wait times on this reference at ADs. The one with which I have a relationship basically told me to go fly a kite when I asked about a Daytona or Pepsi, so would prefer to purchase this from a place that might be able to source those for me at some point, but helpful to gauge ADs by their estimate on wait times. How long did you wait/ what are you hearing on wait times for the James Cameron DSSD?
Old 20 April 2019, 08:11 AM   #2
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Wait times will depend on your AD, AD location, the allocation they receive from Rolex, and most importantly your relationship with them. Some will wait a very long time, some will never get through their AD, and some will be offered one immediately. I have been offered a few of these since release and passed on the last few

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:20 AM   #3
tng11
"TRF" Member

I was proactively offered one by my AD a few weeks back (I declined). My impression is they're pretty attainable, should be a couple of months wait in most places.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Cesium137
Banned

2 month wait (a year ago)
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:49 AM   #5
gccmd
"TRF" Member

I have been offered one twice by my AD in the past year. I think they are relatively attainable.
gccmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:39 PM   #6
set
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

About 10 weeks ago, I asked my AD (with whom I have a great relationship and a good buying history) about one. About 3 weeks later I got the call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E99A12A1-DDA5-4471-A9F1-C1EAB52A75FA.jpeg (185.4 KB, 334 views)
set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:32 PM   #7
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
I had been searching for a 126660 (latest version of the Cameron) and a Hulk at retail (refuse to pay grey markup) for the past few months. I travel quite regularly on business which allows me to visit different ADs around the Western USA. I asked each (about 7 of them up to last week) about getting a Cameron and also getting a Hulk. The answer was fairly consistent - the Cameron is much easier to get than the Hulk. Several ADs said the Cameron is harder to sell than Subs due to size/weight/price. Most happily took my name/number and said they'd call when one was available. I ended up getting a Cameron earlier this week from a business associate who is also a watch collector. I knew he had one and that he wasn't wearing it much and figured I might be able to twist his arm into selling it to me. He sold it to me for the price he paid (dealer retail) so I am super happy and now that I have one you know I'll get a call from one of the ADs next week :-)

w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:17 PM   #8
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
These aren't that hard to get simply because it doesn't fit on the average wrist. You need quite a large wrist to wear it comfortably. Most bought it when it came out, then sold months later. It's like wearing size 12 shoes on size 10 feet.

I used to own the DSSD black dial original version. Wore it as a daily wearer for 5 full years in a workplace desk environment.

When I finally sold it, there was very little to no stretch at all in the bracelet. The subsequent JC version was nothing more than a dial change.

The reason I mention this is because the older JC version is just as good as the newer version with the wider bracelet aside from the fact I think the newer JC comes with a 72 hour new movement.

My advice to anyone buying this model is to get it used. I would not spend full retail on the JC piece.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 05:19 PM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
These aren't that hard to get simply because it doesn't fit on the average wrist. You need quite a large wrist to wear it comfortably. Most bought it when it came out, then sold months later. It's like wearing size 12 shoes on size 10 feet.

I used to own the DSSD black dial original version. Wore it as a daily wearer for 5 full years in a workplace desk environment.

When I finally sold it, there was very little to no stretch at all in the bracelet. The subsequent JC version was nothing more than a dial change.

The reason I mention this is because the older JC version is just as good as the newer version with the wider bracelet aside from the fact I think the newer JC comes with a 72 hour new movement.

My advice to anyone buying this model is to get it used. I would not spend full retail on the JC piece.
You won’t get any JC under retail, new or used around these parts.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:48 PM   #10
mercman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 D-Blue
Not as easy to get in the U.K. as they appear to be is the U.S.

I had the new model (126660) which I exchanged with a friend of mine for his gold sub, biggest mistake I ever made, now I can't get another Blue dial DSSD

Anyone got a line on one?
mercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:59 PM   #11
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
You won’t get any JC under retail, new or used around these parts.
Nairn1980: Did you sell your old JC DSSD with a bit of seller's remorse?
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 08:11 PM   #12
Goin2drt
Banned

About two years ago I was in an AD for the first time. I was asking about the Bluesy they had in the case. Tried it on and just kept looking at it. I told the lady I really wanted to try on the DSSD as I have never tried one on. I got to the point where I was defiantly not going to make the purchase. Lady was nice enough and I handed her back the Bluesy.

She says hang on a second. Up stairs she goes and back down she comes with a DSSD still in the coffin. I tried it on, negotiated a little and bought it for a few bucks under MSRP. So glad I did. It has become one of two in the heavy rotation.

They can be had, or at least a few years ago. I had never even been in the AD before. I wish I had the same story about; Ceramic Daytona, CHNR, etc etc etc
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote