The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2007, 12:52 AM   #31
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoP View Post
I have been reading how some buyers claim to get big discounts on new Rolex's. I do not believe this to be true. I would like to see some hard core evidence to such claims. If you can't or are unwilling to post, then don't even say it. My AD said that it is very highly unlikely that such discounts are to be had.
Uuuuuuh.... you work at Rolex by any chance?
You want the receipts and the adress to my AD ?

bon chance, dude...

Erix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:54 AM   #32
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Heck most SS Daytonas have 10%+ added ON!
True, I believe most stories of discounts, but even with receipts, that's a little hard to beleive!

To the original poster, if you read more about discounts, what I have found to be true for the US are these factors:

1. Location: Some areas seem to have more ADs and more discounts than others.

2. Relationship: Those that have bought a few watches off their ADs and maintain a relationship with them do better.

3. Ready to buy: ADs seem reluctant to quote a discount until you have cash in hand, and cash seems to help when compared to a credit card!
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:54 AM   #33
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

There are some good discounts to be had from ADs. You buy numerous watches from them over time and build a relationship. Then you may get better discounts.

I do not know if many here will post the actual AD info on the net. Why leave an AD that treats you right, and that you have built a relationship with, hung out to dry?

First he or she is exposed, then will be getting calls from people using this info as leverge to put pressure on the dealer for prices. From who, someone they do not know who just calls them up out of the blue?

I for one am willing to pay full price for watches if it comes down to it from an AD. They have their role and make sure you are getting a NIB legit watch with warantee. That is worth something. If An AD is willing to shave off a few few points then great.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:55 AM   #34
BanjoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
Uuuuuuh.... you work at Rolex by any chance?
You want the receipts and the adress to my AD ?

bon chance, dude...
No, and Yes.
BanjoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:55 AM   #35
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:
You think Rolex is that stupid! they can audit an AD's books, and see what their selling them for. Your protection is a self imposed delusion.
UUUhhh still working for Rolex? still chasing ADs?
How about finding another hobby?

Erix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 12:58 AM   #36
BanjoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
True, I believe most stories of discounts, but even with receipts, that's a little hard to beleive!

To the original poster, if you read more about discounts, what I have found to be true for the US are these factors:

1. Location: Some areas seem to have more ADs and more discounts than others.

2. Relationship: Those that have bought a few watches off their ADs and maintain a relationship with them do better.

3. Ready to buy: ADs seem reluctant to quote a discount until you have cash in hand, and cash seems to help when compared to a credit card!
3 good points that don't hold much credability!
Old 7 April 2007, 01:00 AM   #37
Blue Bull
Banned

Less 25% on the Blue TT SUB and less 28% on the Sea-Dweller.Both AD and BNIB.The Blue is a Z and the Dweller a D.Our list is higher compared to the States,so my discounts work out at about less 12-15% in the States.JJ got even better deals in NZ.JJ got his Dweller at $4.1 and I got mine at $4290-4400(Depending on the exchange rate.The price here remained firm)

I dont think its fair for you to imply that we are lying about the discounts.What for ? What will be gained ? I really dont care what you buy ,your Rolex for.If you want to pay list,its your choice.If you want to seek the best discount,all the best of luck As for invoice pictures,town names,dealer names ... Forget it !!! There is no way I am going to compromise my relationship,with my two ADs and cause possible problems for them.They treated me well,I am going to treat them well.We will do business in future too ...

I would strongly advise you to tell your AD to stop talking and for you not to accept

Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:02 AM   #38
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been reading how some buyers claim to get big discounts on new Rolex's. I do not believe this to be true. I would like to see some hard core evidence to such claims. If you can't or are unwilling to post, then don't even say it. My AD said that it is very highly unlikely that such discounts are to be had.
Believe what you want but I can get 10% discount on cash deals for TT's and YG Rolex's though my local AD. It may not be as substantial a discount as others can get but every little bit helps. I prefer not to disclose their identity since they're my local AD and I intend to buy my next Rolex there. The other Local AD's will not discount and make the same b.s. claim yours does, lol. Basically they're just greedier.
I bought my TT Sub in Aruba in Feb. I paid $6696 out the door, BNIB and they are a Rolex AD. No sales tax helped with the price but I did receive a decent discount. They said Rolex authorized up to a 10% discount on YG and TT Rolex's and their list prices were slightly cheaper then stateside as well.

Last edited by HDHNTER; 7 April 2007 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Correction
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:03 AM   #39
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I for one am willing to pay full price for watches if it comes down to it from an AD. They have their role and make sure you are getting a NIB legit watch with warantee. That is worth something. If An AD is willing to shave off a few few points then great.

Exactly!

Also, FWIW, when I bought the SS GMT my AD offered me the TT Subs (blue or black) for $7000, with no negotiation. They said they just do an everyday low price, and don't negotiate. It may not be the best deal, but ~10% with out even trying from an AD is pretty good in my book.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:04 AM   #40
Blue Bull
Banned

Adam,less 10% on a ss Daytona .... now that what I call good business !!!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:09 AM   #41
----

Why is everyobody feeding the troll?
Old 7 April 2007, 01:12 AM   #42
Tripp11
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG,PAM312,BR03-92
Quote:
3 good points that don't hold much credability!
Call me a Rolexforums newbie if you want, but for an OP who was asking for help and information from other posters, you sure come off like an ungrateful p'#'#k.

You ask for information...

Senior forum members provide said information and even provide a snapshot of a receipt...

You call each of them out...

On the auto enthusiast sites I frequent, you would be banned as being a troll from the get go.
Tripp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:24 AM   #43
AdamB

Quote:
It would make it even easier if people left the price discounts out altogether.
I think you're looking for timezone.com, seems like on this forum people get to chat quite freely
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:26 AM   #44
AdamB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4UK View Post
hats off to you Adam..
Thanks mate, I was dead chuffed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Adam, it was meant 95% complimentary and 5% pure jealousy.
Paul if your avatar represents your current watch, you have nothing to be jealous of, that is a lovely hunk of gold my friend
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 06:19 AM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I've just gone though this entire thread, guys, and I'm not touching it with a barge pole!! I probably get some of the best discounts in the world, but who's going to believe me?

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 11:06 AM   #46
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I've just gone though this entire thread, guys, and I'm not touching it with a barge pole!! I probably get some of the best discounts in the world, but who's going to believe me?

Cheers - JJ
I do, as I get 20-30% off when I buy my rolex in germany or hong kong, including SS models except SS daytona, all from AD.

Even Wempe in NY gives a standard 10% if you are returning customer, to the OP if you are not getting discounts and believes the salesperson from an AD that you don't get discounts on rolexes, you have got issues.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 11:32 AM   #47
Ragu
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Sauce ;)
I for one "do believe" when ever a long standing or regular member says they got a discount.
Why wouldn't I and why would one lie on the board.
I don't need proof as I take the members here for their word no more or less.

So, the "troll" has gone back under their rock.

Proud Member #2391
Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 11:43 AM   #48
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
What is defined as a big discount? 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% off MSRP? I know that several ADs in the Dallas area are willing to give 5% off the bat if you ask and they think you're serious in buying. And with some negotiating, you probably can get more depending on the circumstances.

And why does it matter if it's true or not? I don't care how much of a discount someone else gets, I care about how much a discount I get.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 01:45 PM   #49
chemist

I don't want openly mention the name of the AD which may cause him trouble. If you ever come down to san diego, I take you to the AD I got my decent discount.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 05:07 PM   #50
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Don’t hate me as I am not trying to pick a fight with you or argue with you, rather I am sharing my some of my experiences and views on your topic as I have been buying and flipping (I sold two of my Rolex watches in the past to upgrade) Rolex watches since 1989. I have traveled to many places around the world, and I often stop off at ADs while visiting these places.

That being said I have found this simple rule to be true. Large dealers with high rent in touristy popular areas (which are full of naïve first time Rolex buyers) can make a decent living moving Rolex at full price. I have listened to many sales people in these areas flat out lie to naïve customers. The most common lie I hear is “Rolex will not permit us to discount” This just is not true. Another lie is “Rolex will pull our franchise if we discount.” This is usually accompanied with another lie that Rolex sends out spies to check up on them (ADs) to see if they are offering discounts. When I complained about a Rolex dealer selling an LV Sub for $800.00 over cost Rolex representatives from Dallas told me over the phone “Rolex does not control the price that authorized dealers sell Rolex watches, MSRP is a recommendation.” I then asked if this applied to discounts, I was told that a dealer could sell a Rolex at any price. What the sales person who lies to people should say is we are greedy and feel you are so in love with this watch you will pay full price. If you don’t buy it another tourist will.

Buying a Rolex is like buying a car if you don’t fight you will pay sticker, full price, or retail cost. If a dealer will not discount find a new one. Go on a trip to a smaller city with multiple Rolex dealers in a small area and YOU WILL GET A DISCOUNT OF 10% to 20% off (You will have to ask for the discount, as they will never voluntarily give you a discount) Ship the watch home (some times you can ship just the Rolex box and papers) and save an additional 5% to 10% what ever tax you did not have to pay. We have all been a victim to paying more for some item than a co-worker or friend has over the years. I once paid $100.00 more for a flight than a friend so I know the anger one feels when he/she has paid a higher price.

I have found that a Rolex discount is all about how I present my logic in being worthy of getting one. I almost always say the following statement as well, “I CAN LIVE WITH OUT THIS (FILL IN THE BLANK) IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE ( ) BUT ALL I NEED IS ANOTHER ( ) IF I BUY ( ) IT WILL BE BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS RIGHT.” When on vacation I tell the truth, I say I have an AD whom I have bought five Rolex watches from at home, they treat me well and frankly you will have to do better to earn my business. I then offer a price I feel is acceptable, I usually go 4% higher (ask for 19% when 15% will do) knowing the sales person will counter my offer.

Cash is always another power tool in buying Rolex. I subtract 10% to 15% in my head so I have the numbers and then say “What is the cash price on this watch?” I then say it should be better than $$$ (basically the 10% to 15% off)

Last remember this we all work hard for our money, nobody just gives me free money. Why should I give my money to a jewelry salesperson who could give a S - - - less about me and sees me as a walking dollar sign. I fight hard to save because I work hard to earn.
You will have to take my word that I (and others) do get the discounts (10% to 15% off with the exception of my LV Sub I paid retail, some people paid over retail) We claim we do. Enough people on this forum have discussed their discounts that we all can not be lying; the only people that ask to see receipts are usually jewelers, so are you one?
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 07:20 PM   #51
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
im sory if you dont believe us. We all have plenty of time on our hands to come on here and pretend we get "discounts." I wish you the very best in your Rolex hunt my friend.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 10:08 PM   #52
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
You think Rolex is that stupid! they can audit an AD's books, and see what their selling them for. Your protection is a self imposed delusion.

What are you talking about????

Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

Don't you think that the AD would cover this up very easily.

Just in case you don't have ANY business experience:

Step 1 - give customer official receipt with discounts noted.

Step 2 - AD edits the invoice in their system to reflect MRSP.

Step 3 - "IF" Rolex audits them (and if this can be done without any notice, which I doubt) all looks fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Why is everyobody feeding the troll?

I don't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

I agree, but I have to say something.

Whether you believe the members or not is not the point, but to be borderline abusive is not good form.

If you believe what your AD tells you about discounts, then pay MRSP, we will all still sleep at night.

Good luck in your Rolex experience, and I hope you enjoy your watch. What you pay is relevant only too you.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 10:10 PM   #53
bwalkerVintage
Banned

From the way this troll acts, it is easy to see why no discounts are given to him. lol

I broached the discount topic here the other day at a local AD and was told there is definitely some wiggle room. Was also told that the SS Daytona would be MSRP and that this particular AD had no list.
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 10:24 PM   #54
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Sign in Rolex store window: "NO DISCOUNTS TO TROLLS." Reminds me of the guy (who always ends up being the customer in front of me) who extolls his stories of the war, his heroism, his great paintings, watches, and cars, the beautiful women chasing him, then he says something like he has a prototype watch that says ROLECKS and always wants attention.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2007, 11:44 PM   #55
BanjoP

Thanks everybody! I had a bet with my AD that if I could draw the most replies to a Rolex question on page 1, of general Rolex category, he would give me a stupendous discount. I won!!!
Old 7 April 2007, 11:49 PM   #56
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
You dirty dog you! the things a troll will do to get a Rolex discount! Take this and this one more for the stupendous discount
Old 8 April 2007, 12:01 AM   #57
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

New Supercase TT GMT-II, 20% discount off list in NJ, USA.

First time buyer, got it without asking.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 12:18 AM   #58
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Tombstone wrote that sometimes a dealer will actually ship a box, with just the papers and box, implying that you can actually wear the watch home.

I personally don't know any legitimate AD that would allow this practice, since this is really FRAUD. Since the package has to be insured for the full value of the watch, etc., if the watch is not really in the package, then it is actually "fraud", since it is being sent as an insured package containing a watch, yet there is no watch in the package.

Therefore, every AD I spoke with gave me the EXACT same answer, telling me that if I asked for the watch to be shipped to avoid paying tax, the watch HAD to actually be in the box.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 02:25 AM   #59
tag_addict

Watch: T-Touch Carbon
lol I just read the post, sounded like he was attacking us straight off!

Anyway, I got a 20 some odd percent off my DJ, offered a 25 on everything else, and 30 on all gold/plat models
:)
tag_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2007, 02:43 AM   #60
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Thanks everybody! I had a bet with my AD that if I could draw the most replies to a Rolex question on page 1, of general Rolex category, he would give me a stupendous discount. I won!!!
Can you show us that in writing from your AD? I do not believe this to be true. I would like to see some hard core evidence to such a claim.

Remember those words??

Last edited by Prince; 8 April 2007 at 05:00 AM..
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote