The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2007, 10:33 PM   #31
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I would say it's nice to have a couple different models. But I'ts also okay to trade one that you have grown less fond off, for one that you may want now.
I think it's hard for most Rolex lovers to just have one watch.
Old 8 April 2007, 11:04 PM   #32
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Personal preference I suppose.

I began with quantity, but now prefer quality AND collectability BUT most importantly a genuine affinity for a particular model.

Good luck.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 01:02 AM   #33
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
I am good thanks, so I take it that Daytona clasp is long gone now

What have you settled for nowadays, last time I saw you were big in Pannie's, have you come back to the dark side
The YM clasp is in Canada now.

I still wear the Panerai for the most part, either a BASE or mostly these days my 190 8 days. I do wear a SS DJ with rhodium roman dial that my old boss gave me when I left his club about 2 days a week though.

I have gotten other professional Rolex watches in the past couple years, but there is no spark at all for me. Now a YG, WG or PLT DD would change all that.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 01:06 AM   #34
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
I would have a really hard time parting with any of my Rolex. They all have a story of how I obtained them and they all have a different role and effect on me when I put them on.
Well said, Tom. I agree completely!!
Old 9 April 2007, 03:37 AM   #35
puffnmo

I recently came to the decision not to sell or trade any of my Rolex's. The reason: About 3 years ago I bought a TT Roman white dial DJ w/ smooth bezel, and wore it off and on for a while. Somehow I grew tired of it, decided it was too small at 36mm, and that I really preferred wearing only black dials.
Well, my friends, that all changed last week. I got it out from the back of the shelf, opened the box to look at it, and all of a suuden I'm in love with it all over again. It's beautiful, sparkles like a star, and is different from any other watch I own. It's like having a new watch. I'm wearing it as we speak, it will stay on my wrist the rest of the weekend, and probably beyond.
The moral of this story (for me anyway) is this: Never part with a Rolex unless you really need to. Keep them all. There is no such thing as a boring Rolex, and there is really nothing better.
Now I've got that off my chest, all I can add is that the Marital unit and I are going to the mall today to go to the movies, and right nearby is Tourneau. I am going to pay a good long visit to start scoping out the next possible addition to my stable of 5. It probably won't happen right away, but my birthday is in early August... Cheers, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 03:41 AM   #36
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnmo View Post
I recently came to the decision not to sell or trade any of my Rolex's. The reason: About 3 years ago I bought a TT Roman white dial DJ w/ smooth bezel, and wore it off and on for a while. Somehow I grew tired of it, decided it was too small at 36mm, and that I really preferred wearing only black dials.
Well, my friends, that all changed last week. I got it out from the back of the shelf, opened the box to look at it, and all of a suuden I'm in love with it all over again. It's beautiful, sparkles like a star, and is different from any other watch I own. It's like having a new watch. I'm wearing it as we speak, it will stay on my wrist the rest of the weekend, and probably beyond.
The moral of this story (for me anyway) is this: Never part with a Rolex unless you really need to. Keep them all. There is no such thing as a boring Rolex, and there is really nothing better...
Excellent Story, Larry. Another fine reason to be a member of the Rolex Keeper's Society!
Old 9 April 2007, 04:05 AM   #37
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Excellent Story, Larry. Another fine reason to be a member of the Rolex Keeper's Society!
Here's to RKS! May it grow and prosper!
Old 9 April 2007, 04:09 AM   #38
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's to RKS! May it grow and prosper!

BTW, Larry - do you have any photos of your DJ? Sounds downright luscious!!!
Old 9 April 2007, 05:15 AM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
The moral of this story (for me anyway) is this: Never part with a Rolex unless you really need to. Keep them all. There is no such thing as a boring Rolex, and there is really nothing better.
Now I've got that off my chest, all I can add is that the Marital unit and I are going to the mall today to go to the movies, and right nearby is Tourneau. I am going to pay a good long visit to start scoping out the next possible addition to my stable of 5. It probably won't happen right away, but my birthday is in early August... Cheers, Larry.
Great story, Larry!! Agreed, the DJs are beautifully designed watches!! More so, the newer ones.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 05:18 AM   #40
AdamB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Great story, Larry!! Agreed, the DJs are beautifully designed watches!! More so, the newer ones.

JJ
Will you stop confusing me, I had decided mine was going up for sale with my Explorer II, now I had to go and console the DJ in the safe and I am wavering
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 05:20 AM   #41
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will you stop confusing me, I had decided mine was going up for sale with my Explorer II, now I had to go and console the DJ in the safe and I am wavering
Was your DJ convinced? You know, they can't be fooled...
Old 9 April 2007, 11:31 AM   #42
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Well not really quality, because they are all Rolex, but would you rather have 2,3,4,5 Rolex, or one "Grail Watch"?

I am maybe thinking of selling 3 Professional Models for 1 WG Daytona?

What do you guys do, add to the collection or trade out/up?
There is a flaw in the title of this thread, Adam, as you yourself pointed out. Quality is not at issue here. Therefore the only question is quantity.

You have to make your own decisions, but I would never part with any of my 4 Rollies. Each one gets some wear time. And each time I put one on, it's like I have a new watch.

So I would only add to my collection when and as the bank account or your CFO (you know who that is) says it's doable.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2007, 12:05 PM   #43
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
You should know me by now, Adam. For me, any Rolex is a lovable watch and I'd love to keep them all (I wish...)

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 April 2007, 01:11 PM   #44
puffnmo

Quote:

BTW, Larry - do you have any photos of your DJ? Sounds downright luscious!!!
Prince - Sorry not to be camera literate yet. Must do something about this.
Cheers, Larry.
Old 9 April 2007, 01:16 PM   #45
puffnmo

Quote:

JJ
Hey JJ! My DJ is not one of the new ones with the rounded bezel. I agree they are superb, but I like the clean edge on the gold bezel of mine. Don't think they are making them that way any more, am I right?

Now for the real question - would you buy one of the new DJ's as your next watch???
Old 9 April 2007, 08:21 PM   #46
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prince - Sorry not to be camera literate yet. Must do something about this.
Cheers, Larry.
Yes, indeed. Always remember Larry, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 10 April 2007, 02:25 AM   #47
puffnmo

Quote:
Yes, indeed. Always remember Larry, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Agreed, Prince. It will happen in due course. My new tech skills happen about as fast as Rolex brings new watches into their line-up...
Old 10 April 2007, 02:27 AM   #48
puffnmo

And by the way, JJ - are you still asleep???
Old 10 April 2007, 04:29 AM   #49
BanjoP

Quote:
Well not really quality, because they are all Rolex, but would you rather have 2,3,4,5 Rolex, or one "Grail Watch"?

I am maybe thinking of selling 3 Professional Models for 1 WG Daytona?

What do you guys do, add to the collection or trade out/up?
Quantity or quality? I demand both!
BanjoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 04:59 AM   #50
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...My new tech skills happen about as fast as Rolex brings new watches into their line-up...
LOL - I know what you mean, Larry!
Old 10 April 2007, 05:08 AM   #51
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Now for the real question - would you buy one of the new DJ's as your next watch???
Good quesiton, Larry. In all honesty, I love the newer DJ with the smooth SS domed bezel and Roman/Rhodium dial....but it must be on the new Jubilee bracelet with the exciting concealed clasp.

The only thing that's putting me off is the 36 mm size. I'm afraid I might regret the size a couple of months down the line!!

Old 10 April 2007, 05:44 AM   #52
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

OK ADAM!!! IMHO! i guess you;ve had just about every if not every! SS Rolex produced many many times over!!!! If you want that new watch "ADRENALINE "BUZZ" you just know it isn't gonna be in SS

steve
BTW My collection starts now
Old 10 April 2007, 05:51 AM   #53
puffnmo

Quote:
Good quesiton, Larry. In all honesty, I love the newer DJ with the smooth SS domed bezel and Roman/Rhodium dial....but it must be on the new Jubilee bracelet with the exciting concealed clasp.

The only thing that's putting me off is the 36 mm size. I'm afraid I might regret the size a couple of months down the line!!
I know what you mean about the size JJ, it's a major consideration. For me, if I bought another Rolex it would most likely be a GMT.

OR --- The TT Blue Sub!!!!!! Seriously, I'm thinking about it...

Larry.
Old 10 April 2007, 09:54 AM   #54
ballaboy5425
"TRF" Member

I'd rather have alot of rolex's than just one, I could easyily change watchs.
ballaboy5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 11:44 AM   #55
nudie

Like many here, I would not consider parting with any of my Rolex watches unless there were extraordinary circumstances. I just do not see myself getting "bored" with any of my beauties.
As for size, the 36mm looks OK on my relatively small wrist. The 40mm doesn't look too bad either. I think it has a lot to do with just getting used to it. I can remember when a Rolex seemed to weigh like a ton on my arm.
nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2007, 11:49 AM   #56
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I never really answered the question. I have the three Rolex below (sig pics.) I could not see myself selling any of them. I kinda have my grail watch (TT Blue Sub) well, at least its my favorite.

However I want a SS Daytona and a TT rose gold jubilee dial with diamond markers DJ. Someday...someday.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote