The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 August 2017, 05:26 AM   #1
petrosdeca
"TRF" Member

LOOKING TO BUY A 1978 1680 or 5513

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and really trying to find the best deal in finding a 1978 (my birth year) Submariner 1680 or 5513. Anyone could offer help/advice where to get one in good condition will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Petros.
petrosdeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 06:29 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosdeca View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and really trying to find the best deal in finding a 1978 (my birth year) Submariner 1680 or 5513. Anyone could offer help/advice where to get one in good condition will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Petros.

Best advice I can think of is don't get locked down into looking for the best deals and scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to save money. Have $7-$9k ready for a good 1680 or $10-$13k ready for a good 5513. When I say good I mean condition and originality......seek out the good regular vintage dealers on the forum.....HQMilton, Iconic Watches/Michael Morgan, springer, greekbum, Kirill/Lunaroyster/krlzyuh etc comes to mind for me since they've been great to me. While you're looking, research research and then do more research.....but buy a good example and move on without regrets. Enjoy the hunt and good luck, those requirements aren't terrible difficult in today's market (yet).
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Ticked_off
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Best advice I can think of is don't get locked down into looking for the best deals and scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to save money. Have $7-$9k ready for a good 1680 or $10-$13k ready for a good 5513. When I say good I mean condition and originality......seek out the good regular vintage dealers on the forum.....HQMilton, Iconic Watches/Michael Morgan, springer, greekbum, Kirill/Lunaroyster/krlzyuh etc comes to mind for me since they've been great to me. While you're looking, research research and then do more research.....but buy a good example and move on without regrets. Enjoy the hunt and good luck, those requirements aren't terrible difficult in today's market (yet).
I concur!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ticked_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:18 AM   #4
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is good advice. Buy the best you can afford not the cheapest you can find...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep great advice... Only thing I can think to add is to post multiple hq pics here for opinions prior to pulling the trigger. Be patient and enjoy the hunt and the knowledge it brings!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:12 AM   #6
petrosdeca
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much! I am not looking for the cheapest but the best deal given all the things you are advising. Again, thank you for the recommendations.
Petros.
Old 25 August 2017, 01:17 AM   #7
petrosdeca
"TRF" Member

Also what do you think about Bob's Watches vintage collection? there is one on there i am looking at: https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...date-1680.html