The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2019, 05:05 AM   #31
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Personally, I would much rather apply that $2K toward my next nice watch.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 05:50 AM   #32
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Apple is a luxury item? Oh boy. Joke of the day.

I have been a Samsung user since my first smartphone. Apple got left in the dust long ago. The iPhone is great for middle and high school kids because they are small and fit in kids back pockets easily. Love my Note9. Need nothing else.

I said perceived luxury, buddy. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2019, 05:59 AM   #33
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Interesting idea - let’s see if it takes off or joins the electronic innovation scrap heap along with minidisc & HD DVD.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
This thing is brilliant. It allows you to shed your tablet. There's no longer a need for a comfortable sized phone and a tablet. One tool, two capabilities. I like it. When it costs the same as the current iPhone on the market sales will explode.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:34 AM   #35
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This thing is brilliant. It allows you to shed your tablet. There's no longer a need for a comfortable sized phone and a tablet. One tool, two capabilities. I like it. When it costs the same as the current iPhone on the market sales will explode.
Yeah I can see the appeal especially for travelers

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:50 AM   #36
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Who amongst us hasn't been sitting around with friends, family or colleagues, when the conversation inevitably comes around to how much we've all been waiting for a foldable phone.
Old 24 February 2019, 07:51 AM   #37
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Who amongst us hasn't been sitting around with friends, family or colleagues, when the conversation inevitably comes around to how much we've all been waiting for a foldable phone.
This made me laugh

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 February 2019, 07:54 AM   #38
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Who amongst us hasn't thought about one device that does everything a phone and a tablet can do?

Apple keeps building bigger phones to meet the need, but they still don't fill the tablet niche. This thing does both.

Anytime technology can make one thing do two tasks, the redundant technology will be replaced by the new equipment. This thing has potential to make tablets redundant (obsolete).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:03 AM   #39
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
cool idea! Looks too thick when folded though.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:04 AM   #40
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Samsung has always been ahead of the game in terms of innovation and design. The majority of us just prefer Apple, due to its simplicity and perceived luxury compared to Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed. samsung has always been ahead of the curve but the problem is a lot of the time that requires releasing things that don't work well. not saying its a bad thing though as someone needs to innovate and the android market was always super competitive so it was all about who had the coolest new features

apple on the other hand always implements "new" features when they know they will consistently work. things like fingerprint sensors, face unlock, etc, because they know they can take their time and not lose market share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Apple is a luxury item? Oh boy. Joke of the day.
I have been a Samsung user since my first smartphone. Apple got left in the dust long ago. The iPhone is great for middle and high school kids because they are small and fit in kids back pockets easily. Love my Note9. Need nothing else.
it is a perceived luxury because android phones were always cheap so it gave them a bad reputation
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:09 AM   #41
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Who amongst us hasn't thought about one device that does everything a phone and a tablet can do?

Apple keeps building bigger phones to meet the need, but they still don't fill the tablet niche. This thing does both.

Anytime technology can make one thing do two tasks, the redundant technology will be replaced by the new equipment. This thing has potential to make tablets redundant (obsolete).
Ironically, maybe I'm just set in my old fashioned technological ways lol, but even at my home desk, I have my phone on my left an open iPad behind it, playing the news, a podcast, TRF, etc, I have a laptop on my right that's running some type of task for me, encoding, rendering, burning blu-ray's, etc, and I have an enormous desktop monitor front and center as my main work focus.

I like having several devices.

I totally get what you're saying though for on the go. It's definitely nice having an iPhone XS Max. It's a huge phone that's great for emails, web browsing, IG, and of course watching videos. If i have the carry space though I'd always prefer to have my ipad with me as well as my phone.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:49 PM   #42
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Yes, I agree, perfect answer.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 07:58 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
does it have 2 sims? Thats the most overlooked part of the newest iPhone. The price just got cut in half. If you need two phones
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:09 PM   #44
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Been a huge Android fanboy on phones and apple on laptops but the technology has progressed so far above what i need or do i could still be happy with an s4 or s5 instead of this new note and am happy with my two 2014 model laptops. I guess I've officially gotten old.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 08:11 PM   #45
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Oh really....?
Yeah really, want to time travel 4 years into the future? Buy an Android. Sorry, truth bomb.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:41 PM   #46
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
does it have 2 sims? Thats the most overlooked part of the newest iPhone. The price just got cut in half. If you need two phones
But the new iPhones essentially have two sims now, one is an internal e-sim and the other external. Problem is that US carriers aren't supposedly fully ready for the e-sim support, whatever that bs means.

It's what's kept me planted on android the last several years, I buy an unlocked international dual sim Note 8. Two phones in one.
If they fix the iPhone sim issue that would at least get my attention. Because if you travel, you still can't effectively take the e-sim out, one number will always be hard-programmed in, and requires the carrier to reflash your sim...that's not happening in Mumbai, lols.

For now I'm very satisfied with my Note 8, especially after the Pie release and patiently waiting for the Note 10. Hopefully it isn't a 30 inch screen though, I'm at the limit of how big a phone I'm willing to carry.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:44 PM   #47
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Oh, as for the Fold, summed up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
It’s neat.

But I’ve no interest.
Too expensive, heavy and will be obsolete. Right now it's a party trick, so no thx.
Old 24 February 2019, 09:45 PM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
But the new iPhones essentially have two sims now, one is an internal e-sim and the other external. Problem is that US carriers aren't supposedly fully ready for the e-sim support, whatever that bs means.

It's what's kept me planted on android the last several years, I buy an unlocked international dual sim Note 8. Two phones in one.
If they fix the iPhone sim issue that would at least get my attention. Because if you travel, you still can't effectively take the e-sim out, one number will always be hard-programmed in, and requires the carrier to reflash your sim...that's not happening in Mumbai, lols.

For now I'm very satisfied with my Note 8, especially after the Pie release and patiently waiting for the Note 10. Hopefully it isn't a 30 inch screen though, I'm at the limit of how big a phone I'm willing to carry.

ive got mine on a US e sim and a UK physical sim. and i can switch back and forth depending on where i am. Its pretty cool.

the ones in china have two physical sims. TBH i would have preferred that

I also assume you can sort of life hack the phone if its cheaper... IE getting a voice only plan on one sim, and a data plan only for the other sim. My ATT car data is unlimited and 20 dollars a month and its on a sim. So i assume i could have a voice only plan which is cheap from some no name carrier and then add a data sim. Probably cheaper than a normal phone+data plan. Or just have a voice only plan and just swap my car sim back and forth to my phone. A PITA, but its possible i think
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 February 2019, 09:47 PM   #49
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...g-at-mwc-2019/

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 February 2019, 09:53 PM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ive got mine on a US e sim and a UK physical sim. and i can switch back and forth depending on where i am. Its pretty cool

the ones in china have two physical sims. TBH i would have preferred that
Ok, so you can even reprogram the e-sim on the go? or just pull out the physical sim to replace and keep the US still running.
That's what I understand. The only issue is if you actually needed both, at the present you can only really do one. The chinese dual sim phones had something I can't remember at the moment but it was lacking something other iPhones had, I wasn't willing to compromise. Some markets have weird restrictions.

It sounds like they got the support issue fixed.
Having a dual sim phone is a must. I refuse to carry two phones, as long as that exist, that is the phone I will buy.

Your set up is actually fine because I use my T-Mobile international plan for free data and texting internationally so I keep that sim in and pop in what ever local market I'm in.
Old 24 February 2019, 09:55 PM   #51
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Ok, so you can even reprogram the e-sim on the go? or just pull out the physical sim to replace and keep the US still running.
That's what I understand. The only issue is if you actually needed both, at the present you can only really do one. The chinese dual sim phones had something I can't remember at the moment but it was lacking something other iPhones had, I wasn't willing to compromise. Some markets have weird restrictions.

It sounds like they got the support issue fixed.
Having a dual sim phone is a must. I refuse to carry two phones, as long as that exist, that is the phone I will buy.

Your set up is actually fine because I use my T-Mobile international plan for free data and texting internationally so I keep that sim in and pop in what ever local market I'm in.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044

you can set what sim you want to use for what in the settings. Mainly with data usage its the only thing you need to modify depending on where you are. They are both active, you just decide on which one to use.

sort of like turning data roaming off when you travel except you can turn the other one on. However i think you can have both on at the same time, you just can't use them at the same time... so while sim 1 is in use sim 2 is offline AFAIK

im taking it back to the US for the first time since i set it up next month, so ill see how it works. As i just set it up with the e sim the last time i was there and had two phones. When i got back to the UK i put my UK sim in it too. Appears to be working fine here though.
Old 25 February 2019, 12:50 AM   #52
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Here you go

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/24/...5g/?yptr=yahoo

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 25 February 2019, 01:14 AM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

thoughts on S10? anyone handled it? deciding between the S10 and S10+

my hands were a little too small to one-hand the S8+
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:01 AM   #54
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
This! Love the concept, hopefully this is the future. Already see other manufacturers making folding phones. These will get thinner with each iteration. Hopefully battery technology can catch up.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #55
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

I have the S9+ and the new version of Android (v.9) actually fixes a lot of this. They moved most of the "buttons" to the bottom of the screen but the S10 and S10e both look great.

I also have freakishly large hands, though.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:39 AM   #56
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

You know I've learned to accept that one handed phones are really obsolete. With that being said I'm at the limit on screen size with my Note 8. If the phone gets any bigger it won't be carry-able in any pocket.
The new ui really has solved a lot of reach issues as everything has been moved to the bottom as previously stated.

I would just go for the S10 plus.
Old 25 February 2019, 05:04 AM   #57
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I wish they did a foldable Laptop. Oh wait!
Old 25 February 2019, 07:25 AM   #58
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
They’re careful not to call it a FLIP phone.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 07:31 AM   #59
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

I love the advancing technology and applaud innovation. I'm already "all in" with the Apple ecosystem but love that competition will inspire new and interesting ideas.
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:15 AM   #60
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a Samsung fan but I have no interest.
Same here

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote