The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 April 2019, 07:42 PM   #1
nick800
"TRF" Member

Prospective employer contacted current employer

I have been pursuing a position with a new company, and am in the final interview stage with the CEO. Found out yesterday that the new company contacted my current company, saying I was a candidate for a position and could they talk to them about me for 10 minutes.

Well, now I'm in a bit of a bad position. My current employer could give not the highest comments, which could spook the new one. Current employer could get rid of me, and I end up without either job.

This also makes me question the integrity of the new company, and whether or not I should even remain interested. Up until this point, they seemed totally ethical.

Any ideas?
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 07:59 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have an idea that you prospective employer has fixed you up.

Any decision is now out of your hands.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:25 PM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

Did you give them permission to contact your current employer? Did you provide references in your application?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:28 PM   #4
nick800
"TRF" Member

I did not give them permission.

I did give three other professional references of high level people I’ve worked with. COO, CEO, VP’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Did you give them permission to contact your current employer? Did you provide references in your application?
Old 18 April 2019, 08:31 PM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I did not give them permission.

I did give three other professional references of high level people I’ve worked with. COO, CEO, VP’s.
Were any of your references at your current company?

Contacting current employers without permission is a quick way into litigation if your current position is lost as a result, so I'd hope the prospective employer is aware. There's always a chance you pass on the new position and are then left with your current employer knowing you're searching.

Hopefully it's a positive sign rather than negative. Curious how this turns out.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:34 PM   #6
colpol
"TRF" Member

Never heard of that happening before without applicants permission

If it was me - i’d be very angry about it / puts you in a very difficult position especially if you don’t get it
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:48 PM   #7
nick800
"TRF" Member

No references are at current company.

Yeah, I’m angry. But if I express that in the wrong way to the new company, that could easily make them no longer pursue my application.

I’ve been senior level for a long time, and too have never heard of this happening at any company I’ve been at.
Old 18 April 2019, 09:11 PM   #8
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
That was really poor form by the prospective employer. It’s also strange that it would expect any substantive information from your current employer as employers generally don’t give more information than confirming one is an employee and giving service dates, lest they be sued themselves. I think you should talk to a lawyer barred in your state who knows employment and defamation law. The whole situation stinks. I’d be suspicious of the intentions of the prospective employer.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:11 PM   #9
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Been in the recruitment game for 20 years and I've never even seen this.
I would have a big issue with this.
They could be so confident that they want to hire you and it's in the bag that it's a done deal.
On the other hand....I would question the integrity of a company that would allow this to happen.
Like was said - all out of your hands now, but I would think litigation could be in your future if it doesn't go down the way I want it. Hard to get rid of a a taste in your mouth that bad.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:13 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think you’ve got the new job ... they’re just saving you the awkward conversation with your current employer
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:16 PM   #11
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I say don't worry about it. If you are very good at what you do, the new company would want to hire you no matter what your current company would say (unless it's something outrageous) and your current company will offer you a bump in salary to try to make you stay.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:24 PM   #12
Lgear080
Banned

Out of line, but what can you do? I’d act like nothing happened bc nothing did.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:36 PM   #13
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The only way such a thing is acceptable is with your express permission. And to do this without advance notice is doubly wrong.

The prospective employer is either clueless (unlikely) or buttressing their position in potential compensation negotiations. (Had you reached that stage yet?)

Only once in my 45 year career was this done - and it was with my permission. I had advised my company I was seeking outside opportunities so wasn’t a surprise for them anyway.

What a dilemma this is...would a heart-to-heart with your current leadership mend, or even strengthen, your relationship with them? Now that the cat’s out of the bag maybe time to keep good relations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:42 PM   #14
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Who from the prospective new employer reached out to your current employer? Is it the person you’d be reporting to or someone from HR? Perhaps they have a strong personal or business relationship with the person they reached out to in your current company and they are doing an off the record reference. Happens everyday.

You are a W2 employee correct? Not a 1099 contractor/consultant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:02 PM   #15
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Super bad form from your prospective employer.
IMO, what action you take now if any depends on who told you they contacted your current employer. If the information turns out to be false, opening up to your current employer just gets unnecessarily messy if you are not selected for the new position or decide to decline it. If you know for a fact they contacted your current employer, if it were me, I'd come clean. It might even awaken your current employer that they might lose you and you might come out better in the end.
FWIW, I worked for a fortune 500 company for 35 years, we never gave references. We only verified periods of employment. We didn't want a prospective employer to tell the candidate they weren't being hired because of our reference and then end up in litigation.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:08 PM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
talk about amateur hour on behalf of the new employer's HR department. what a bunch of muppets.

if you get fired as a result you may have recourse, seek counsel if so.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:20 PM   #17
nick800
"TRF" Member

My current employer informed me of the contact from the perspective. My current employer forwarded me their email last night, with only a "?" from the current employer.

The perspective employer's email basically said, "Nick is a candidate for our position of XXX. I understand he currently works for you. Do you have 10 minutes where we could have a brief conversation?"

Today's going to be an interesting day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Super bad form from your prospective employer.
IMO, what action you take now if any depends on who told you they contacted your current employer. If the information turns out to be false, opening up to your current employer just gets unnecessarily messy if you are not selected for the new position or decide to decline it. If you know for a fact they contacted your current employer, if it were me, I'd come clean. It might even awaken your current employer that they might lose you and you might come out better in the end.
FWIW, I worked for a fortune 500 company for 35 years, we never gave references. We only verified periods of employment. We didn't want a prospective employer to tell the candidate they weren't being hired because of our reference and then end up in litigation.
Old 18 April 2019, 10:32 PM   #18
Brew
"TRF" Member

Time to ask for a raise.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:39 PM   #19
Star Ferry
Banned

That's not normal. Usually they can only contact prior employers, and due to legal liability the old company rarely says more than "He worked here from X date to Y date"
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's ridiculous... I'm sorry to see the position they've put you in. My fingers are crossed that things can work out in your favor here so this won't matter as much soon. Should that not be the case for some reason I would get in contact with a lawyer.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:11 PM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Strange move by the new employer. If they know people at your current job I could see them phoning in for a reference. But the email paper trail raises a lot of red flags for me. I’m not sure I’d want to pursue an opportunity with them.

I don’t know your current boss or the reasons you want to jump, but a heart to heart with them can’t hurt at this point.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:17 PM   #22
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
No references are at current company.

Yeah, I’m angry. But if I express that in the wrong way to the new company, that could easily make them no longer pursue my application.

I’ve been senior level for a long time, and too have never heard of this happening at any company I’ve been at.
They screwed you. If you accept the job, you would be working for a IMO shady underhanded company and if you pass on this new job you're at your old job with bitter feelings possibly on their end (current employer). Then again if you were totally happy with your current company, you wouldn't be out looking....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:23 PM   #23
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Assume its the same industry? Did the CEO/CFO/etc contact their counterpart at the current employer or was this HR?

Not uncommon for leadership to backdoor candidates with people they know at the other companies within the industry, since they often know each other. However, it is uncommon for it to go through HR and be more of a formal process, you would generally never know about it. Certainly a strange story.... but not much you can do about it at this point. Not a great situation, sorry.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:01 AM   #24
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would have a heart to heart with the person you interviewed with and find out what happened and why. It should be obvious to ANY business person that this paints you into a corner and is a completely unethical thing to do. See what they say. If they think this is ok, I'd RUN from that company and try to mend fences with your current company.
Old 19 April 2019, 12:17 AM   #25
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
How about you current employer - Isn't he the one getting screwed per say. Now he's in a worse position. You said "integrity of the new company" . Isn't it your integrity with your current employer is what your dealing with now. And won't the new employer be worried you'll do the same thing to him. I mean no disrespect at all here I'm just looking at both sides

Today is going to be a fun day for you ....
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:35 AM   #26
nick800
"TRF" Member

Well...current employer said they think I should resign today.
Old 19 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #27
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Wow that sucks I hope you get the new job
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:48 AM   #28
function12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It you do resign and the new company does not hire you then you will NOT be entitled to unemployment because you resigned.

Wow. Just wow....
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:49 AM   #29
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Outrageously messed up situation. No advice, but I hope it sorts itself out.
Old 19 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #30
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Quote:
That's not a huge surprise. I'd be on the phone pretty quickly to your prospective new employer (person you interviewed with) to bring them up to speed on their gaffe. Would also be expecting a job offer today plus 2 weeks pay in advance at the very least.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote