The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2019, 05:30 AM   #1
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Questions for WG Daytona Oysterflex owners

I'm drooling over the WG Ceramic Daytona on OF (116519LN) and I am looking to acquire one, but I had a few questions for current owners.

1. Does the OF scuff or scratch easily? How has your OF strap held up over time?

2. How much room is there for micro adjustments on the fly? I've read that the OF needs to be properly sized on purchase, and there is very little room for micro adjustments on the clasp. Has this been a problem when your wrist swells in the heat? I have small wrists and this seems to be the biggest downside of the OF. I'm spoiled by the Glidelock clasp on my SubC Date.

3. How durable is the WG Rolex uses? Does it scratch pretty easily? I know with WG jewelry, wear and tear can cause mild yellowing and the jewelry needs to be plated with Rhodium periodically. This is why all my wife's jewelry is platinum. Is this a problem with Rolex WG?

4. Do you consider your gold piece a good everyday watch? I would think that a watch on OF would wear extremely comfortably.

5. If I purchase through a grey dealer that has an OF Rolex with an incorrect size for me, how can I acquire the proper size OF?

Thank you for entertaining my questions. Hope to post an incoming in the future.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:39 AM   #2
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
1 I’ve had mine since Nov 2017 and it looks like the day I got it.

2 A total of 14mm give or take. 5 on the EasyLink and about 9 on the micro. I had mine sized on the smallest micro setting and the EZ closed. I have a 7.5” wrist and got EE on the 6 side and EG on the 12 o’clock side. That leaves me plenty of room for expansion.

3 I find it no different than any other metal. It scratches, and hit it into something hard enough, and you’ll ding it.

4 At one point I only had WG in my collection, so yes would be my answer.

5 I purchased from a grey. The card was in my name. I took it to the NYC RSC and they sized it for free. They of course kept the one they took off.

All I can say is it’s a great watch. Hope this helps.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:42 AM   #3
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Here’s a wrist shot to help you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1F3A75A9-3ED2-42BE-A943-6F87EBCCC5F6.jpeg (226.7 KB, 667 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:48 AM   #4
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
I'm drooling over the WG Ceramic Daytona on OF (116519LN) and I am looking to acquire one, but I had a few questions for current owners.

1. Does the OF scuff or scratch easily? How has your OF strap held up over time?

2. How much room is there for micro adjustments on the fly? I've read that the OF needs to be properly sized on purchase, and there is very little room for micro adjustments on the clasp. Has this been a problem when your wrist swells in the heat? I have small wrists and this seems to be the biggest downside of the OF. I'm spoiled by the Glidelock clasp on my SubC Date.

3. How durable is the WG Rolex uses? Does it scratch pretty easily? I know with WG jewelry, wear and tear can cause mild yellowing and the jewelry needs to be plated with Rhodium periodically. This is why all my wife's jewelry is platinum. Is this a problem with Rolex WG?

4. Do you consider your gold piece a good everyday watch? I would think that a watch on OF would wear extremely comfortably.

5. If I purchase through a grey dealer that has an OF Rolex with an incorrect size for me, how can I acquire the proper size OF?

Thank you for entertaining my questions. Hope to post an incoming in the future.
1. Had mine since Nov 2018. Holds up better than my Yacht-Master. The PCL on the YM is a scratch magnet. Just a few micro-swirls on the clasp with my WG Daytona. OF is still minty fresh!

2. The micro-adjust adds about another half link of space. Make sure you are sized properly at the AD!

3. I don't beat on my watches, but I don't baby it either. It's been quite durable and on par with the stainless steel watches I own.

4. Definitely can be a daily. I tend to wear it for a couple weeks at a time, leave it for a week or two and then repeat.

5. I believe you can go to an RSC and they will swap it for free. Not sure an AD will do it for you, though.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:58 AM   #5
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
The OF strap holds up well. I don't baby this watch either, don't even feel like I need to. The only thing that'll like scratch is the clasp. I've got scratches on mine already, and it's a few weeks old. Oh well. As for the yellowing, pretty sure Rolex WG doesn't yellow. I've got a WG ring and it's yellowed a bit over 6 years. It's definitely comfortable enough as a daily, although I switch it up with my Tudor now. In terms of sizing, I think RSC will swap it with trade-in. Luckily, EE is my size so that wasn't required. Maybe in the summer I might need to use the half link.
Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Steed
"TRF" Member

I’ve had mine a month and have picked up some minor scratches on the clasp but the case is unmarked. The OF is very comfortable. I paid £200 to get the correct size OF strap section from my local AD and retained the too small section I bought it with (from a grey). The easy link now has enough adjustment for me. It is a stunning watch to look at and wear; after wearing it pretty much every day since purchase, I rotate it now with my other watches- I must admit though that I find it difficult to do so as I feel deprived when I’m not wearing it! By the way Rolex white gold is not plated so you won’t need to worry about it yellowing etc.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

1. OF straps are quite durable. I’m sure it can be scratched but much less of a worry compared to metal oyster bracelet.

2. I wear the straps on the looser side so I don’t have issues with my wrist swelling. Definitely need to get it fitted properly. If you go grey dealer then I think you need to go to an AD or Rolex Service Center to buy the appropriate sized straps.

3. I find white gold scratches easier than steel and platinum. WG here is not plated so you won’t see any yellowing overtime with wear and tear.

4. This is a versatile piece that can be worn daily.

5. See #2.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:17 AM   #8
S/Z
"TRF" Member

The OF strap does not scratch or mark easily. The only parts of the watch susceptible to scratches and dings are the clasp and case, and I haven't noticed those parts of my Daytona marking more readily than my Sub.

My WG Daytona is my daily along with another piece. It's super comfortable but you do feel the weight of the gold, which I like. It's a gorgeous piece ... you won't regret pulling the trigger.
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:22 AM   #9
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post

1. I managed to get mine from a local AD, just by walking in and by chance it was in the safe. Had it few days so can’t say re scratches but as with polished links or SS the clasp May get a few scratches from daily wear.

2. No issues at all, OF wears comfortably

3. From experience the WG does not yellow (from previous pieces), and the WG is very durable!

4. Have worn it everyday so far but plan to wear it a few weeks, then switch over to maybe a CHNR or hulk ..

5. I believe most Rolex ADs will size it for you for free.
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:27 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This is the best current Daytona in my view. Wins in every aesthetic aspect over either SS model. You will never regret this purchase.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 08:19 AM   #11
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This is the best current Daytona in my view. Wins in every aesthetic aspect over either SS model. You will never regret this purchase.

Agreed and these tips are fantastic, thank you all...

I have posted this before but my challenge is that my local Ad had no interest in me as a new Rolex customer after being a long time jewelry customer...so, I tried to parlay a purchase of the 116519LN with a SS piece with a non-local AD in a city to which I travel 5 times per year. The AD wanted full deposit with a 5 month wait...(while not a big deal in the whole scheme of things, not making decisions like that are why I have $29k to spend on a watch in the first place).

Sorry for the long story, but now I feel the need to go grey and was worried about the bracelet (strap)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 08:58 AM   #12
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Saw your PM but figured I'd reply here for all to see:

1. Not in my experience. I've worn mine almost constantly for about a year and it still looks as good as day one. That includes wearing it in the pool, ocean, a decent amount of sunscreen being rubbed off on it, sweat, etc... With a good wash it's as good as new, although dirt tends to accumulate on the portion under the lugs if you don't clean it.

2. It has built-in EasyLink extension, I believe giving you 5mm of adjustment. Beyond using the EasyLink, you also have 3 micro-adjustments within the clasp (tools required) so there is some fine-tuning you can do even without the ability to remove links. And no, haven't had any bad smells emanating from the Daytona

3. As durable as their SS, I'd say. I think just like with SS, the polished surfaces scratch easiest. On this watch the problem area is the polished surface of the clasp. The lugs on this watch also scratch easily. Rolex white gold is homogenous throughout and is not rhodium plated, so you never need to replate and you'll never see YG.

4. Wear it every single day.

5. I will defer to others on this.

6. GET IT!
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Stunning

I would probably have to sell my whole collection plus a kidney to afford one..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:01 PM   #14
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Thank you ALL for the awesome comments. I am definitely highly motivated to get this piece on my wrist now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Saw your PM but figured I'd reply here for all to see:
So funny I thought I was crazy because I checked my sent folder and I didn't see any PM go out towards you, thought maybe there was some glitch in the forum and the PM didn't go through.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:05 PM   #15
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
If you are considering buying and concerned with sizing....the 2019’s will come with Glidelock. According to my cleaning lady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 April 2019, 11:26 PM   #16
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygmt2 View Post
5. I believe most Rolex ADs will size it for you for free.

I believe the Rolex AD will adjust the clasp for you, or swap the OF for you if you bring in the extra straps, but I don’t think the AD will swap out the OF for a different size one if they happen to carry it in the store...unless you purchased the watch from them.

Most AD’s don’t carry extra sizes OF. It would have to be ordered at a cost. The only place that will swap it for free is the RSC.

This is what I was told my AD. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on this?
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

1. The OF strap holds up well. Mine looks like new since I purchased it in January and it has been worn frequently. But anyways, it's just a rubber strap.

2. There's the Easylink. Make sure you get the sizing right at the AD. Too loose and the watch will flop around, but it's not as bad as other PM watches on strap as the inner wings hold the watch on the wrist well.

3. There are varying opinions on this but I think WG scratches easier. My piece has quite a few micro hairlines seemingly just from contact with clothing and polishing cloths. The lugs are the worst areas for the micro scratches in my experience.

4. Yes it is a good daily. Very discreet and very comfortable.

5. Order the correct size from your local AD. It won't be cheap, approximately $300 USD per piece. But then you can sell the one that doesn't fit you.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #18
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
I believe the Rolex AD will adjust the clasp for you, or swap the OF for you if you bring in the extra straps, but I don’t think the AD will swap out the OF for a different size one if they happen to carry it in the store...unless you purchased the watch from them.

Most AD’s don’t carry extra sizes OF. It would have to be ordered at a cost. The only place that will swap it for free is the RSC.

This is what I was told my AD. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on this?
An AD will likely sell you an extra set and swap for you. But I would highly doubt they would swap for free if the strap is used and you didn't buy from them.

RSC (at least in Canada) does swaps for free as long as the band is unused and brand new. I brought a 116655 to RSC, card was dated 6 months earlier but watch was BNIB. They did the swap for free in that instance.

In the case of my 116519LN, instead of waiting for my AD to order the correct size strap and considering that they are a distance away, I simply brought my new 116519LN to the RSC and had them swap the correct size on. Again, no cost, and they tried a few different configurations until I was happy.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:32 AM   #19
S/Z
"TRF" Member

My AD had various OF strap sizes in-store and was happy to switch out the strap to size the Daytona correctly for me at no charge.
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:42 AM   #20
Ck1220k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
I’ve had mine a month and have picked up some minor scratches on the clasp but the case is unmarked. The OF is very comfortable. I paid £200 to get the correct size OF strap section from my local AD and retained the too small section I bought it with (from a grey). The easy link now has enough adjustment for me. It is a stunning watch to look at and wear; after wearing it pretty much every day since purchase, I rotate it now with my other watches- I must admit though that I find it difficult to do so as I feel deprived when I’m not wearing it! By the way Rolex white gold is not plated so you won’t need to worry about it yellowing etc.
Wow u can actually keep the og oysterflex ? Maybe I buy it ?
Ck1220k is offline   Reply With Quote