The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 02:33 AM   #1
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Exhibition only models - where do they end up?

I recently visited a WOS store in London, drawn into the shop as they brandished almost an entire set of “hard to get” watches, including a blue dial SD; really a nice experience, as for the first time in years, I was able to try on a host of different styles (incidentally, I also felt the SA enjoyed talking about watches actually in store rather than “waitlisting” prospective customers). This left me curious what happens with all of these models - do they eventually end up in sales, eg when new display models come in/there is some sort of rotation? Do they get sent back to Rolex? Also, would you consider buying a display exhibition model? If those sit for weeks in the window, given their current rarity, I would imagine they get tried on by a lot of people.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:56 AM   #2
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
So. According to my local AD, they are allocated watches for the next person on top of the list. When another gets shipped in, the one in the window finds its way to the lucky owner
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:05 AM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Varies by AD. Some are rotated some are not.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:14 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
crushed watch.jpg
Old 24 May 2022, 03:32 AM   #5
Newt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 GMT Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I dunno what that is, but my soul just died a little.
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:33 AM   #6
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
I dunno what that is, but my soul just died a little.
Hopefully just counterfeit watches being destroyed…. Otherwise same!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 03:35 AM   #7
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yikes, that needs a trigger warning :-D

Assuming that this is a heavy-handed attempt to quash the tertiary market (ie the trusted street side AD :-D) - otherwise, this would be very painful to watch (equally to the happy year-end scissor cutting of LV bags :-))
Old 24 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Yikes, that needs a trigger warning :-D

. . .
On a more serious note. Exhibition Only watches likely do not belong to the Dealer, but are on loan from Rolex as part of their Customer Service.

They are very likely returned after a set amount of time and do not end up as part of the Dealer inventory.

Dealer display models are not Exhibition Only and can be sold as new just like shoes and shirts on the rack.
Old 24 May 2022, 04:20 AM   #9
BoilerRxZ06
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam84 View Post
So. According to my local AD, they are allocated watches for the next person on top of the list. When another gets shipped in, the one in the window finds its way to the lucky owner
FWIW my AD said something similar. "Eventually we can sell these" is what I was told. No indication as to the circumstances, but they seemed relatively assured the models can and would be sold by them.
BoilerRxZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:32 AM   #10
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
“My AD said”

It’s all a Rolex marketing strategy! The plan is, to flood the market with every reference in the catalog!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:54 AM   #11
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
I doubt they get sold - at the two ADs that I stop by to talk watches and try things on, the exhibition pieces are definitely not fit for sale. They’re all scratched up, etc., like any demo product. I would never pay anywhere near MSRP for those…
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 04:55 AM   #12
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRxZ06 View Post
FWIW my AD said something similar. "Eventually we can sell these" is what I was told. No indication as to the circumstances, but they seemed relatively assured the models can and would be sold by them.
I’ve no reason to disbelieve what they said. They’ve been upfront and honest with me to date, not just with Rolex but other watches. They are fully cased up working models so I suppose only time will tell!
Old 24 May 2022, 04:59 AM   #13
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
I doubt they get sold - at the two ADs that I stop by to talk watches and try things on, the exhibition pieces are definitely not fit for sale. They’re all scratched up, etc., like any demo product. I would never pay anywhere near MSRP for those…
I agree as I have seen exhibition only models and they look, well, used.

That said, 2 different ADs told me the same story as above. They are rolex property but eventually they'll get the warranty cards and invoice sent to them from Rolex and they can then sell them.

One AD doesnt have any stickers on the exhibition pieces, the other one has them fully stickered up.
Old 24 May 2022, 05:01 AM   #14
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam84 View Post
That is interesting. I heard they just hang onto them until Rolex gives them the green light (and card) then off they go.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:03 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

They are all sent to me.

My Muse and I fill the bed with them, and we roll around giggling and laughing like happy children. Wish everyone had the opportunity.

Guess you could use a few million in currency as a substitute, though there's a funky smell to them (only new currency, used currency has germs, coke, and all sorts of bacteria and stuff).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:16 AM   #16
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The Exhibition Models at my Boutique are the non-working ones. I assume RolexUSA owns them and eventually they will probably be retrieved.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:17 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Many people say some place called Horology House but this has not been independently verified.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:21 AM   #18
Adam84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
That is interesting. I heard they just hang onto them until Rolex gives them the green light (and card) then off they go.
It wouldn’t surprise me if different ADs in different countries or depending on their size/ footfall will do different things. A 1 size fits all approach may not work
Old 24 May 2022, 05:23 AM   #19
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
All the watches at my AD are fully functional watches. They wind them up, set the time and then present them to you to look over. He tells me that when one comes in, then one in the display is sold.

Incoming watch is put in it's place. They also have the option to exchange a model to complete a sale. But the same amount must be in the case until further notice I was told.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 05:24 AM   #20
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I went to a dealer a couple weeks after my friend and the dealer had some new models that hadn’t been there a couple weeks earlier and some of the ones my friend saw weren’t there when I went in so they do seem to get rotated around or something.
The exhibition models I’ve tried on did have functioning movements but they wouldn’t be ones id want to buy at retail. Already had quite a few scratches.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:37 AM   #21
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanerai12 View Post
I agree as I have seen exhibition only models and they look, well, used.

That said, 2 different ADs told me the same story as above. They are rolex property but eventually they'll get the warranty cards and invoice sent to them from Rolex and they can then sell them.

One AD doesnt have any stickers on the exhibition pieces, the other one has them fully stickered up.
That’s really interesting, I caught myself wondering if I would actually consider buying one of the exhibition-only pieces; there was quite some bustle around trying them on (as they had really nice pieces in store), I cannot imagine how those will look like after a couple of weeks on demo.

Then again, what I really liked was the atmosphere - finally being able to not only leave your name but actually trying on various different watches, and discussing the model and the specs with the SA. Good old times when buying a Rolex marked the capstone of a great personal or professional achievement. It’s a shame how the game has developed - funny enough, that was echoed by the SA who seemed super happy that she could show customers the actual watches.
Old 25 May 2022, 01:42 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My AD said they will eventually sell them. Probably as pre-owned and make a killing in the process!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 01:56 AM   #23
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I went to a dealer a couple weeks after my friend and the dealer had some new models that hadn’t been there a couple weeks earlier and some of the ones my friend saw weren’t there when I went in so they do seem to get rotated around or something.
The exhibition models I’ve tried on did have functioning movements but they wouldn’t be ones id want to buy at retail. Already had quite a few scratches.
I wonder how on earth they got scratched. The ADs offer white glove service (literally) and all they have to focus on is not mishandling their stock.

The only way the exhibition models could get scratched is with real use, such as wearing them home etc.

Surely wannabe customer (plenty of those admittedly) will not scratch them sat opposite the AD seller at a desk.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:11 AM   #24
Nashville Watch Guru
"TRF" Member

Honestly, this seems so variable based on locations. My AD always claims they have "modified movements so they do not function" however you see stories all over the internet of people claiming they purchased display only watches simply by offering cash or slightly above sticker. I believe they are all sellable watches with some sort of a "Brake" placed inside of the watch that is simply removed by taking off the case back.

Long story short, who the hell knows
Nashville Watch Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:33 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
My AD said they will eventually sell them. Probably as pre-owned and make a killing in the process!
I’d started wondering if this was part of the plan around the supposed CPO program being launched. Great source of initial stock for Rolex to establish program with.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 10:01 AM   #26
AFinchMustang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I’d started wondering if this was part of the plan around the supposed CPO program being launched. Great source of initial stock for Rolex to establish program with.
This would be my guess. Once they feel stock is within 10-20% of demand they will either take them back or invoice to the dealer to sell CPO after a quick polish.

Regarding the ADs saying they sell the one in the case as soon as they get another of the same this makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you continuously subject new watches to potential scratches, drops, etc when they can just move the brand new one and maintain delivery of "perfect" stock to customers? I can certainly believe that some smaller ADs or less than above board ADs/SAs would sell out of the case at the right price if there was a warranty card behind it. If there isnt a warranty card behind the watches in the case then I would think they still are "owned" by Rolex and thus cannot be sold no matter the price.
AFinchMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 10:06 AM   #27
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Chrono24
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 08:25 PM   #28
mikelprz
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
2006 i was in Geneva, CH. I was speaking to waiter and waitress in a restaurant. One was wearing a IWC big pilot, the other a DJ, and i was wearing my newly purchased Sub.
Anyways, they mentioned to me that in a city/town not far from Geneva, a watch AD dealer/shop carried many of the returned Rolex watches from the AD's. Either displays, returned or models unable to sale. The Rolex watches were priced below the MSRP, at a very good price, compared to what you would find at typical AD. Including AD's in Geneva.
I can't remember the name of the city/town. I want to say it was called Lausanne.
They both seemed very credible to me and they told me next time to look there.

When i find myself back in CH. I will be hunting for that location :

Last edited by mikelprz; 27 May 2022 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: spell correction
mikelprz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 08:29 PM   #29
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinchMustang View Post
Regarding the ADs saying they sell the one in the case as soon as they get another of the same this makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you continuously subject new watches to potential scratches, drops, etc when they can just move the brand new one and maintain delivery of "perfect" stock to customers? I can certainly believe that some smaller ADs or less than above board ADs/SAs would sell out of the case at the right price if there was a warranty card behind it. If there isnt a warranty card behind the watches in the case then I would think they still are "owned" by Rolex and thus cannot be sold no matter the price.
Having collected a watch from the AD, I would also say that it's most likely the display model isn't sold but the same reference which comes in is, having already been allocated to a customer.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 08:39 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
On a more serious note. Exhibition Only watches likely do not belong to the Dealer, but are on loan from Rolex as part of their Customer Service.

They are very likely returned after a set amount of time and do not end up as part of the Dealer inventory.

Dealer display models are not Exhibition Only and can be sold as new just like shoes and shirts on the rack.
Same according to my AD
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote