The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2022, 06:32 AM   #31
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I think he would not be pleased at all. Probably some significant personnel changes would be in store and some major advertising to correct the current state of affairs.

He was proud of what he accomplished I think in building a high quality watch before most other companies. Now as PADI states, Only jewelry items now for the most part. Only a few wear them as intended at this point, coveted overpriced watches for folks who keep them locked up to protect investments on a watch now over priced for what you get.

This whole atmosphere is incredibly unbelievable to people who have purchased Rolex LONG ago who wore and enjoyed them every day doing what ever they do for decades. The were a little more expensive that others, back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. But people wanted quality, durability and a faithful companion during that time.

Not a piece of jewelry to be hidden away, brought out to flex on special occasions, shielded from scratches and knocks . Just one watch, one personal item they could count on day in and day out. THOSE are the Rolex owners that made Rolex the brand that it is today. Now Rolex and a large majority of the owners have changed there intensions for owning a watch. The next 20 -30 years will be very interesting I think.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 07:12 AM   #32
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
(eg. "can I take a bath with my Rolex?" and "Is it normal for the crown not to be straight up"?)
Answers from Hans:

Bathtub? Why would you want to?

Crown straight up? Why would you care?
Old 24 May 2022, 09:27 AM   #33
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
He would quit Rolex, go to work for Apple and be happy to innovate again.
Old 24 May 2022, 10:39 AM   #34
Alexexec
"TRF" Member

He would be proud as can be, the most coveted watches and the most recognised watch brand on the planet
Alexexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 01:16 PM   #35
Purple Hayz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16753
1) Rolex’s position in today’s market?
Thrilled with the market share (and dominant position), but disgusted with the capacity constraints--and pricing--both of which he would likely have addressed decades ago.

2) The current Rolex lineup?
Not much to go on here (little source material on this exact topic), though the Rolex under his watch seemed a somewhat more balanced mix of refinement/evolution and innovation. Viewing TWF as a whole (i.e. Rolex and Tudor), I think he'd be pleased.

But how favorably would he have viewed a half-century's worth of progress that looked like this, one wonders?
IMG_5860 (Custom).jpg

Or watching his vaunted Crown squander a decades-long investment into (then) bleeding edge technology on a seemingly unending beta test (see: lady datejust and YM37), while the once moribund Prince takes the same basic kit, swings for the fences, and slams a three-run homer right through the window of Moonwatch Inc? For the understudy to deliver this:
metas (Custom).jpg

while the Leading Man lays an egg like this...
Screenshot 2022-05-23 124516 (Custom).jpg

is not, I suspect, something the Man would gleefully abide.

And the idea of Mighty Rolex basking in its value-oriented baby brother's limelight?

"Rolex has already started experimenting with Master Chronometer certification with its sister company Tudor, providing technology that combines chronometer rating and impressive resistance to magnetism. This could be a way forward for the evolution of the Milgauss..."

Not a chance.

3) The current AD situation and secondary market?
Utter contempt. See 1)

4) The rejuvenation of Tudor?
Beaming with pride, for obvious reasons. Though I can't imagine the rather sordid state of affairs circa 2004/5 would have gone over particularly well.

5) Rolex ambassadors?
Limited to speculation here, though the man's marketing chops were unassailable. Probably fine with this, given the results.

6) Rolex philanthropy?
A+

7) This forum?
Delighted, naturally
Purple Hayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 01:22 PM   #36
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
His legacy has grown, his two brands have flourished, his foundation is still funded. How could he not be proud?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 01:41 PM   #37
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
He'd be wiping his tears of joy from his face with $100 bills while he sits on his golden toilet
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:41 PM   #38
AlbionJackal
"TRF" Member

"Mission acomplished"?
Rolex 1993 16700, 2012 116520, 2012 116610LV, 2017 116660, 2020 326934 - Tudor 2021 79030B, 2022 79210CNU - JLC 2008 GT SG Reverso, Omega 2016 3570.50 Speedmaster Pro, CasiOak 2022 GMA-2100, 1999 Tag Heuer 2000 Sport,
AlbionJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 02:53 PM   #39
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
He’d love it because he won the game. And his foundation strategy kept it from being bought or made public.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 11:11 PM   #40
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
He’d love it because he won the game. And his foundation strategy kept it from being bought or made public.
Indeed.