The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 21 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #1
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

Beware of Mark Sirianni Rolex Service

I think this is my first negative online review of anything. I don't bitch and moan on Amazon; I don't slay seller's on eBay or restaurants on Yelp. I don't like to get angry, but at this very moment I'm just steamed.

I just got my 1962 bamboo-bezeled 1603 back from Mark Sirianni, aka "The Watch Doctor".

The crown was unscrewing from the stem when trying to set the time forward and the crystal had been polished down to almost nothing (though it was still attractive, the cyclops had no real magnification). The watch was also running faster that I thought was acceptable, so I started looking around the Internet for independent watchmakers that service Rolexes. I found Mark's site and read all the 5-star Rolex-related reviews and thought that I would like to give him my business. I liked the idea of an independent watchmaker working at the same business he and his family have had for many many years. He states on his site that people ask him why his service is so cheap, to which he replies "Why is Rolex's so expensive?" Well, you get what you pay for ($200 service; $50 crystal; $30 return shipping)

I knew what I was going to be looking for, post-service: Hand alignment at the hour; crystal cyclops magnification and centering over the date window; proper refinishing of the case; (and the crown not coming unscrewed from the stem, in my specific case). The hands are dead-on aligned, but that's it for anything remotely positive. The crown immediately came right off when trying to set the time forward, the crystal is obviously not a Rolex part - it's slightly domed, and the cyclops has weak magnification and is not centered over the date window, vertically. Lastly, the brushed finish on top of the lugs has been polished to a shine! I've let Mark know how I feel, but will not be sending it back to him for any corrections.

I almost want to apologize to Mark for this rant - again, this is not my usual way. However, I feel I must let you all know what I experienced.
MickTheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 08:57 AM   #2
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

Beware of Mark Sirianni Rolex Service

If it's too good to be true ($$$) then it (probably) is.

After not trusting my gut (his response to something I was well aware of was incorrect) and sending my 1961/2 bamboo-bezeled 1603 in for a repair (and full service), I am unfortunately now here to report the results.

Here's what I needed/ask to be done (which would've been done in any other "full service"):

::: Wants/Expectations:::

- Repair crown/stem (crown comes unscrewed from the stem when trying to set the time forward)
- New crystal (mine had been polished down to nothing, to the point that the cyclops had no real effect)
- Watch running fast (clean, lube, regulate)
- Polish/refinish case (with best judgement)

I even included a document with the watch, stating all of the above, along with what I knew about the watch and of course all my contact info.

So, he receives the watch, does the work and ships it back out to me; I received it today.

::: Results :::

- Nothing done to repair the crown. I immediately tried setting the time forward and the crown screwed right off the stem.
- I don't know how to prove it, but the new crystal is simply not a Rolex part. It's slightly domed and the cyclops nether has the full magnification I know of and is not (it's physically impossible to be made to) aligned, horizontally.
- I'll assume he at least rebuilt the movement.
- I'll say this and only this: he polished the brushed finish off the top of the lugs.

After reading all the positive 5-star Rolex-related reviews on Google and Facebook (not a member), I thought it would be nice to give this guy, who has been running a watch shop with his family for year and years, my business. I mean, he even says (paraphrasing), "People ask me why my service is so cheap. I ask them, 'Why is Rolex's so expensive?'" All I can say is that you get what you pay for. And in this case, I paid someone to use aftermarket parts on, and ruin the finish of my vintage Datejust (not to mention flat-out not repair the one thing that was actually really wrong with it).

This is my first negative online review. I don't go and bitch and moan on Amazon about silliness, I don't slay sellers on eBay or berate restaurants on Yelp...but in this case I was (almost literally) seeing red and feel that I have to let others now what I experienced.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:08 AM   #3
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Sorry to hear.

Did you talk to him privately before outing him here?
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:27 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've seen his ads on ebay. I'd go with one of the forums repair people.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sorry to hear that, the guy obviously has no clue about Rolex watches.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #6
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
wasnt he recently given praise here? The vintage sub forum I think.
His Google search results aren't flattering.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:52 AM   #7
awol123
"TRF" Member

Yikes
awol123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Needs to be in the Watchout section
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:03 AM   #9
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Sorry to hear that
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Would love to know the nature of the conversation you had with him, explaining your frustrations, and his response.
Old 21 February 2019, 11:07 AM   #11
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Certified in accutron

Sorry to hear that
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:08 AM   #12
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Dang...so sorry to hear this. You should try and work it out with him for at least a refund at a minimum.

Hopefully there was no damage done...

Lesson learned bring it to an AD or send right off to RSC
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:12 AM   #13
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Plenty of solid independents with Rolex parts accounts. No substitute for due diligence
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:19 AM   #14
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I had a bad experience too. Had to send a rolex back twice because the crown/stem
kept coming out.
This is my first negative online review also.
False economy..
Old 21 February 2019, 11:23 AM   #15
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
A purchased a Ladies-Date SS watch for my mother in 1983. It was the blandest, most boring watch Rolex made for a woman but it was all I could afford as a gift. (white dial, plain bezel, Oyster bracelet). Fast forward, my mother passed away and I inherited the watch back and wanted to give it to my daughter. I purchased parts off ebay to convert it to a Frankenwatch; white dial with white gold Roman numerals, an engine turned bezel and a Rolex plastic crystal. Bottom line, I sent it to Mark and he did a nice job putting it all together and overhauling the movement. I had zero complaints with my work. There was no way I was going to spend $900 just to overhaul the movement. If there is one problem with Mark, it is probably that he does not have a Rolex parts account.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:37 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
I had a bad experience too. Had to send a rolex back twice because the crown/stem
kept coming out. He tried to say he hadn't replaced a part, but I had an email from him saying he did replace the part. I don't think he has a Rolex parts account. He was using after market parts, and when I demanded rolex parts, he said he got them from ebay. He tried to equate his mistakes to auto repairs where mistakes also are made.
This is my first negative online review also.
False economy..
Wow. This is definitely a watch out.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:42 PM   #17
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Are you able to get a clear shot of the side of the cyclops. Need to see the flat side to determine if it's a Rolex crystal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickTheKraken View Post
If it's too good to be true ($$$) then it (probably) is.

After not trusting my gut (his response to something I was well aware of was incorrect) and sending my 1961/2 bamboo-bezeled 1603 in for a repair (and full service), I am unfortunately now here to report the results.

Here's what I needed/ask to be done (which would've been done in any other "full service"):

::: Wants/Expectations:::

- Repair crown/stem (crown comes unscrewed from the stem when trying to set the time forward)
- New crystal (mine had been polished down to nothing, to the point that the cyclops had no real effect)
- Watch running fast (clean, lube, regulate)
- Polish/refinish case (with best judgement)

I even included a document with the watch, stating all of the above, along with what I knew about the watch and of course all my contact info.

So, he receives the watch, does the work and ships it back out to me; I received it today.

::: Results :::

- Nothing done to repair the crown. I immediately tried setting the time forward and the crown screwed right off the stem.
- I don't know how to prove it, but the new crystal is simply not a Rolex part. It's slightly domed and the cyclops nether has the full magnification I know of and is not (it's physically impossible to be made to) aligned, horizontally.
- I'll assume he at least rebuilt the movement.
- I'll say this and only this: he polished the brushed finish off the top of the lugs.

After reading all the positive 5-star Rolex-related reviews on Google and Facebook (not a member), I thought it would be nice to give this guy, who has been running a watch shop with his family for year and years, my business. I mean, he even says (paraphrasing), "People ask me why my service is so cheap. I ask them, 'Why is Rolex's so expensive?'" All I can say is that you get what you pay for. And in this case, I paid someone to use aftermarket parts on, and ruin the finish of my vintage Datejust (not to mention flat-out not repair the one thing that was actually really wrong with it).

This is my first negative online review. I don't go and bitch and moan on Amazon about silliness, I don't slay sellers on eBay or berate restaurants on Yelp...but in this case I was (almost literally) seeing red and feel that I have to let others now what I experienced.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:56 PM   #18
Brazicano
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blnr
Wow sorry that happened to you.

$200 to service a Rolex when Rolex charges $700? That’s a red flag

Also, anyone touching my watch should be at a minimum CW21, wostep, or sawta certified.
Brazicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:18 PM   #19
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sorry to hear about your experience, thanks for the warning!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:26 PM   #20
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

@Mickthecracken... you joined TRF 5 years ago and this is your first post (a double post actually)? Why did you send your watch to PA from Houston? And you send him a vintage Rolex with the expectation of a $200 service job? Something ain’t right
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:32 PM   #21
77T
2024 Pledge Member

That review is pretty sobering.

I can’t help but ask for some pictures. Obviously the ones that show the poor polishing work plus any you have before you sent it off.

By bamboo bezel do you mean engine turned or like mine below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #22
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

ARF_Rob: I told him I was very upset, pointing out everything I've stated here.

The Baron: I don't post because I really have nothing exciting to say; I only own this one 1603 and a Tudor 7922R. I sent him the watch because it sounded like, from all the reviews I read, that he was legitimate and was offering a genuinely good deal. What ain't right is that he did what he did (and didn't do what he was supposed to).

ROLLiWORKS; 77T: I'm about to post photos - I hope they clean out clear enough.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 22 February 2019, 01:26 AM   #23
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

I'm running into a lot of issues simply trying to reply. And to the comment about the double-post, that's also because I was running into issues and thought the first one never took. Let me sort things out and I'll get some replies to those of you with questions as well as some before and after photos.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 22 February 2019, 01:39 AM   #24
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

I've tried multiple times (too many, it seems) to reply to you all with no success. I either have the page refresh with nothing added or I get a message that my post is being reviewed. This is all me just trying to "Post Quick Reply". Let me see if I can at least get the aforementioned photos added.
Old 22 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #25
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

1) I let Mark know I was extremely upset, stating everything I've stated here. He replied, but I immediately deleted the messages without reading them (which I fully realize was childish, although I did tell him to not bother replying) - I was fumed at the time and simply had no desire to hear what he had to say. I mean, what can he say or do? And considering the small amount of money involved I simply wanted (want) to walk in the polar opposite direction and never look back.

2) What ain't right is how he presents himself, as well as what he did (and didn't do) to my watch.
Old 22 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #26
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

"After" photos...

..."Before" photos on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1995.jpg (176.9 KB, 1237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1998.jpg (289.0 KB, 1231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.jpg (223.3 KB, 1232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2006.jpg (173.9 KB, 1230 views)
Old 22 February 2019, 02:50 AM   #27
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

File size/dimensions...

I'm going to give up on trying to get the "Before's" uploaded. I can't get the file size small enough (max of 293k) and still have the resulting photos large enough for it to be of any worth for detailed comparison. I guess you'll just have to trust me that there was grain on the lugs before sending it to Mark. Let me know what you think of the crystal.

Thanks again.
Old 22 February 2019, 02:56 AM   #28
MickTheKraken
"TRF" Member

Boy, oh boy. I now see all my duplicate posts. My apologies for that and the loads of typos. Funny how I pride myself on my writing and here I come off a buffoon. Serves me right for bringing it all up in the first place, I suppose. Take care, everyone.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:38 AM   #29
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickTheKraken View Post
I'm going to give up on trying to get the "Before's" uploaded. I can't get the file size small enough (max of 293k) and still have the resulting photos large enough for it to be of any worth for detailed comparison. I guess you'll just have to trust me that there was grain on the lugs before sending it to Mark. Let me know what you think of the crystal.

Thanks again.
Mick, you can upload it to a website like IMGUR

https://imgur.com/upload

We see your after photos.
mrs_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:07 AM   #30
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
When you have few posts (something like less than ten), each post needs to be cleared by a Mod first. Seems like quite a few of your posts got caught up in this (quite necessary) complication

Complicate this further by being upset at the time of posting - and well, it is what it is
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote