The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2022, 05:38 PM   #1
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Panerai Submersible - new vs used prices. Not much different.

Hello Panerai Fans -

Been thinking about getting a pre-owned Submersible but I see that pre-owned - beat up used ones with no box or papers are not much cheaper than a spankin' brand new one from the boutique with an 8 year warranty, box, papers and a free hat.

Why is this? What is driving used ones to be so highly priced? It's not like they are rare, and getting a new one is very easy. The boutiques are fully stocked and ready to sell to anybody who wants one. Unlike Rolex, there is NO shortage of Panerai Submersible watches.

I was considering buying a pre-owned one because I thought that they would have depreciated and I would be getting a bargain. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Usually "supply and demand" dictates market prices, but clearly that is not the case here. There is certainly more supply than demand and still prices are roughly equal for used and new. I basically have no compelling reason to buy a used one.

With that said...the new 'Verde Smeraldo' is very hard to resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green.JPG (19.6 KB, 692 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 06:04 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

With Richemont buying Watchfinder, it’s allowed them to keep prices artificially high. That is until you try to sell back to them! If you have the head for it a private sale is better value, or as you say get new with all the service.
Old 9 April 2022, 06:21 PM   #3
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
With Richemont buying Watchfinder, it’s allowed them to keep prices artificially high. That is until you try to sell back to them! If you have the head for it a private sale is better value, or as you say get new with all the service.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:35 AM   #4
tedo
"TRF" Member

Any experience /

thoughts on purchasing from Watchfinder?

I ask given the connection — Watchfinder is owned by Richemont, which owns Panerai, and the statement below that accompanies the Panerai watches they list for sale:

“This Panerai has undergone a thorough inspection of accuracy, functionality and condition at our Panerai certified service centre to determine the level of reconditioning required to meet our strict standards. It has also been checked against our records to ensure authenticity.”

Feel this provides some extra peace of mind when purchasing a preowned Panerai — especially with the “ Panerai certified service” reference?
Old 10 April 2022, 12:40 AM   #5
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
But that was the contention of my original post - private sales are NOT a better value. They are still asking for almost the same price as buying new. My question is: why?
Old 10 April 2022, 12:42 AM   #6
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Any experience /

thoughts on purchasing from Watchfinder?

I ask given the connection — Watchfinder is owned by Richemont, which owns Panerai, and the statement below that accompanies the Panerai watches they list for sale:

“This Panerai has undergone a thorough inspection of accuracy, functionality and condition at our Panerai certified service centre to determine the level of reconditioning required to meet our strict standards. It has also been checked against our records to ensure authenticity.”

Feel this provides some extra peace of mind when purchasing a preowned Panerai — especially with the “ Panerai certified service” reference?
But price is not a compelling reason to buy a pre-owned Submersible, they are almost the same price as new.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:48 AM   #7
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

This goes to the real resale value of Panerai, which for many models is very high.

For 5% difference I would buy new.
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 01:49 AM   #8
shammad10
"TRF" Member

There are some PAM683 available in the UK for £3500 discount.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 02:04 AM   #9
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.bolton View Post
This goes to the real resale value of Panerai, which for many models is very high.

For 5% difference I would buy new.
What I am not understanding is why isn't 'supply & demand' working here. There is plenty of supply and not enough demand, so shouldn't used Panerai's sell cheap?
Old 10 April 2022, 04:38 AM   #10
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
What I am not understanding is why isn't 'supply & demand' working here. There is plenty of supply and not enough demand, so shouldn't used Panerai's sell cheap?
Supply and demand IS working. You just have a false sense of what is happening in the Panerai resale market.

It's become fun to bash Panerai for a variety of reasons, some legitimate and some not, but some models still do hold their value. Others, of course, do not and can be had for a great discount. Panerai is very model specific and you can't always believe what the "Paneristi" say because they are a very small niche group.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 05:03 AM   #11
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

To the OP, items go in and out stock. Sometimes the grey has it only and may attract higher prices. Some sellers are chancing that hope someone will not know retail/availability and buy at a heigh price.
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:59 PM   #12
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I feel the same way about all watch prices right now. It feels like a high tide has risen all ships. I'd love to pick up a pre-owned watch at a steal but I feel that has gone away for the time. I'm holding out for those opportunities. That's how the watch market use to be. There were a small handful of highly desirable models across all watch brands which traded at strong prices. Now that effect has expanded significantly. Hang in there. Things come in cycles. Not everyone can afford to spend 10's of thousands extra for a watch.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:58 PM   #13
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Supply and demand IS working. You just have a false sense of what is happening in the Panerai resale market.

It's become fun to bash Panerai for a variety of reasons, some legitimate and some not, but some models still do hold their value. Others, of course, do not and can be had for a great discount. Panerai is very model specific and you can't always believe what the "Paneristi" say because they are a very small niche group.
Please post a link to these 'great discounts' so I can buy one. Show me that supply and demand is actually working.
Old 13 April 2022, 02:10 PM   #14
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.bolton View Post
To the OP, items go in and out stock. Sometimes the grey has it only and may attract higher prices. Some sellers are chancing that hope someone will not know retail/availability and buy at a heigh price.
We are not talking Rolex with "no stock" on the shelves and a 100 year wait list. The market, (new and used) is flooded with more Panerai's for sale than buyers. Yet nobody is discounting them.
I own a Panerai, so I am happy to see they are holding their value very well. I just don't understand how?
Old 13 April 2022, 04:26 PM   #15
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i dont know where you are checking your prices but i have been buying and selling pams and there are very much depreciated. very affordable even for previously hot models.

besides the old models are of much higher quality than the new models.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:41 PM   #16
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i dont know where you are checking your prices but i have been buying and selling pams and there are very much depreciated. very affordable even for previously hot models.

Maybe in your neck of the woods that's the case but here in Melbourne, Australia they are not readily available in AD'S but wait times are negligible. As for prices though, there is Littles difference between new and used. And buying from OS is not an option because of import duties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 09:57 PM   #17
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Please post a link to these 'great discounts' so I can buy one. Show me that supply and demand is actually working.
Supply and demand is working just fine. I have clients that are watch dealers. I know what I am talking about. My point was that there aren't a lot of discounts because there is a demand. People love to come on these forums and act like nobody is buying Panerai. They are selling more watches than they ever have. Its just not hardcore watch people who jump on a watch forum and talk about their watch.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 12:26 AM   #18
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post

Please post the link to the sellers who are selling them for a depreciated asking price.
Old 14 April 2022, 12:32 AM   #19
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Supply and demand is working just fine. I have clients that are watch dealers. I know what I am talking about. My point was that there aren't a lot of discounts because there is a demand. People love to come on these forums and act like nobody is buying Panerai. They are selling more watches than they ever have. Its just not hardcore watch people who jump on a watch forum and talk about their watch.
I think you are right. I too was thinking that the demand was not there because of the articles I read and the videos on YouTube saying that Panerai "lost its hype" and nobody wants them. Clearly they are wrong. The demand is very much there.
Old 14 April 2022, 06:11 AM   #20
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
I think you are right. I too was thinking that the demand was not there because of the articles I read and the videos on YouTube saying that Panerai "lost its hype" and nobody wants them. Clearly they are wrong. The demand is very much there.
I think most of these Youtube 'watch experts/enthusiasts' put their content out bashing Panerai because it seems to be the 'in-thing' to do and they know it will generate views. It's also extremely easy and fairly lazy to simply repeat the messages that they hear on other channels/sources.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 02:15 PM   #21
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Panerai lost its insane hype from the mid-late 2000's, but there is certainly still a demand; it's just not nearly as wild as back then, when they were more hyped than Rolex.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:26 PM   #22
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Please post the link to the sellers who are selling them for a depreciated asking price.
How cheap do you want them to be?

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id19919185.htm
$10,948aud
Australian Retail- $12,700aud

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id15868543.htm
$17,224aud
Australian Retail- $20,100

Both listings new/unworn
If you want to go into VGC, theres tons more with at better prices

I picked my PAM311 up in New Condition for a little under $14k
Aus Retail was close to $25k when i bought it a year ago
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 03:08 AM   #23
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
How cheap do you want them to be?

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id19919185.htm
$10,948aud
Australian Retail- $12,700aud

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id15868543.htm
$17,224aud
Australian Retail- $20,100

Both listings new/unworn
If you want to go into VGC, theres tons more with at better prices

I picked my PAM311 up in New Condition for a little under $14k
Aus Retail was close to $25k when i bought it a year ago
Submersibles…?
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 12:10 PM   #24
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Submersibles…?
https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id23137646.htm - $13,450au
Aus Retail- $15,600au

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pan...id22408847.htm - $26,195au
Aus Retail- $29,600

Again, BNIB
Old 21 April 2022, 03:42 PM   #25
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Aus Retail- $15,600au

Aus Retail- $29,600

Again, BNIB
For me, those prices are not low enough to justify buying used. For just a few dollars more, you can buy a brand new Submersible with an 8 year warranty and guaranteed to be authentic. However, I am glad to see they hold their value very well.
https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...bmersible.html
Old 22 April 2022, 06:26 AM   #26
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me, those prices are not low enough to justify buying used. For just a few dollars more, you can buy a brand new Submersible with an 8 year warranty and guaranteed to be authentic. However, I am glad to see they hold their value very well.
https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...bmersible.html
Agree. I didn’t find enough discount at all on used when looking for my 683. Best deals were dinged up heavy used from Japan, and still only saved 1500 or so.
Old 22 April 2022, 06:28 AM   #27
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aus Retail- $15,600au

Aus Retail- $29,600

Again, BNIB
How does showing discounted new ones invalidate OPs point against used?
Old 22 April 2022, 09:30 AM   #28
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
How does showing discounted new ones invalidate OPs point against used?
OPs question was why aren't used subs considerably cheaper than new ones

As many have said, its very model specific, but if you're asking a broad question, I provided a broad answer
I can find a number of used subs that are 10%-30% cheaper than their original retail, but then that brings up an apples to apples argument due to completeness of the set, condition and age

Of course something that is old and BTS is going to be cheaper than something brand new, instead i drew attention to the fact you can find BNIB models selling privately for 10%-15% under retail (the original number someone threw out was 5%)
Old 23 April 2022, 01:53 AM   #29
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OPs question was why aren't used subs considerably cheaper than new ones

As many have said, its very model specific, but if you're asking a broad question, I provided a broad answer
I can find a number of used subs that are 10%-30% cheaper than their original retail, but then that brings up an apples to apples argument due to completeness of the set, condition and age

Of course something that is old and BTS is going to be cheaper than something brand new, instead i drew attention to the fact you can find BNIB models selling privately for 10%-15% under retail (the original number someone threw out was 5%)
So used for 10% off or new for 10% off? In other words he’s right why buy a used sub. I came to same conclusion. Despite the talk panarai isn’t “hot” there is just no big depreciation on submersibles to justify used it seems. I was just happy to have an option to buy new and walk out with it that day!
Old 26 April 2022, 01:17 AM   #30
chris nyc
2024 Pledge Member

OP, you are trying to paint a picture here with one brush.... You are way off on many of your arguments. To sit here and speak about the panerai "used market" without specific model references, is just kinda foolish and pointless. Different references vary in their production numbers each year, some are limited Editions, some are special editions, some are produced annually, some are produced one time.

Boutiques do not discount, that's first and foremost, unless you have a long buying history and even then, a discount is rare. Boutiques also now ALL charge sales tax. So don't forget to figure that in on your new piece.

The 8 year warranties are all transferable, a point that should be made. So if you find a used piece you like, with the 8 year, it will transfer, regardless of private sale or from a reputable watch reseller website.

A lot of luxury goods are up in value considerably right now, across the board....the used panerai market is no different. I can site specific pieces that i looked at a year or more ago, that are now selling for 10-15% more than when i looked at them. The demand IS there and the supply is the same or lesser.

To really discuss this, why don't you site some specific models you're interested in, that would be a more relevant discussion.

Gone but not forgotten: PAM 233, PAM 1389, PAM 690, PAM 654, PAM 176, PAM 000, PAM 312, PAM 305, PAM 422, Rolex DSSD, Rolex TT Sub Bluesy
chris nyc is offline   Reply With Quote